Dreaming Southern

Dreaming Southern

2.73 of 5 stars 2.73  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Broke, with their furniture piled into a trailer, Lila Mae Wooten and her four kids hit the road in a 1953 Packard, en route to a land of movie stars, swimming pools, and their share of the American Dream. For the Wootens, heading for the Golden State--and Lila Mae's husband, Roy--by way of Alabama, Louisiana, and Minnesota, there's no such thing as a direct route.

Especial...more
Published January 1st 2000 by Plume (first published 1999)

Ron Charles
What a paradox the family car trip is: At what other time are loved ones pressed together so tightly, for so long, with so little to do?

Are we there yet?

Anyone who's ever driven across the country, knee-deep in Happy Meal wrappers, playing "I Spy" until "I scream," will appreciate the comedy of "Dreaming Southern," Linda Bruckheimer's first novel.

"Surely, Lila Mae thought to herself, she could handle a car trip across country with a few high-strung, smart-alecky kids." But Lila Mae, mother of ex...more
Aer Bluewilson
This book was pretty good, due to the ratings and reviews here I thought it was not going to be. I think a major issue with this book is people compare it to Rebecca Wells Ya-Ya Sisterhood series, and that hurts it. You can't go in comparing it to other "Southern" books, like the Ya-Ya books or even Fannie Flagg's Fried Green Tomatoes at The Whistlestop Cafe novel. It is not a book that deals with racial (it touches on race very briefly) or even gender issues, it is not about a group of women wh...more
Irishcoda
I totally enjoyed the first part of Dreaming Southern by Linda Bruckheimer. The heroine, Lila Mae Wooten, reminded me of a sort of Lucy Ricardo/Carmichael from Kentucky. She means well but is so scatterbrained and impulsive, she just gets herself and her kids into all kinds of crazy messes. She even has a sort of Ethel-like sidekick with a juvenile delingquent son. I alternated between laughing and rolling my eyes at all the predicaments the Wootens get into because of Lila Mae's desire to see t...more
Brenda
Normally books about southern women are some of my favorites, as only Joshilyn Jackson, Dorothea Benton Frank, Mary Kay Andrews, Dorothea Benton Frank, and many others can depict. I was excited by the title, and that is about where my excitement ended. The main character is a twit, she is trying to make it to California to be with her husband and ends up on all of these ridiculous side trips, and "adopting" many characters along the way. As if the ridiculousness of this trip wasn't bad enough, t...more
Kristal
Lila Mae's husband has left Kentucky leaving her instructions to pack up the kids and their belongings into the car and follow him out to California. It only took him three days. But Lila Mae has a completely different map in her head and she ends up all over the place - Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Alabama and New Mexico. In each location, trouble and adventure seem to follow her and her brood of sassy children.

The story started out as a cute, chick-lit story but after awhile, things just got...more
Kelly Waldschmidt
I was excited by the title and the cover of the book. The first few pages in, I felt like this wasn't for me. I really do not care for the main character, she bugs me. I am only 19 pages in and am giving up. I usually push through and make myself finish a book, or at least, get through half before I quit, but I'm not feeling it. After reading several Good Read reviews of this book, it seems like I am not the only one feeling this way. I read the reviews hoping to see some positive reinforcements...more
Evelyn Porter
The first 2/3 of the book is very enjoyable. We meet a woman from Kentucky and her four sassy children, piling into an old 1950's car, hitched to a trailer, and embarking on a grand adventure to rejoin the husband / father in California.

At a very critical moment in the book, the author changes gears and time periods. The reader ends up wondering what happened and where is the remainder of the story leading us. Readers who grew up prior to the 80's will enjoy the sense of nostalgia, old song lyr...more
Kipahni
Old Southerner's have the art of talking down. They can ramble on and on and weave in and out of stories before arriving at the main point, leaving the listener entertained if not a little exhausted. Much like this book, it rambles with no clear destination in mind and just when you feel like finally you understand the main theme, it just drops and feels flat. A quick read, slightly charming and could even make a good abc family movie, but otherwise don't waste your time.
Jenn
This rambling novel follows a mom and her two kids on a cross country drive to California via Route 66. Becky Jean, her teenage daughter whines and disses her mother from the backseat all the way. There are a few funny scenes, but I read this a long time ago in my early stages of chick-lit discovery. If I were to have read it now, I would have put it down after 50 pages.
Tara
I read about 5 chapters and decided I am just not the right demographic for this book. It was supposed to be a laugh out loud funny book about a southern family traveling to California. I just could not get into the story or identify with the characters. I think if I was from the south or remembered life in the 1950's this book may have been more interesting.
Cynthia
I honestly didn't find the humor in this book. I kept waiting for a plot to develop and every time the storyline started to go in a certain direction it was dropped cold. The second part jumped ahead some 30+ years and I hoped it would tie up some loose ends but was a total waste of time. I very seldom do not recommend a book, but this time is one of them.
Emily
Maybe I just wasn't in the mood for something somewhat mindless and fluffy. Whatever the reason, this book just never caught my attention. It was somewhat rambling and silly. I think that was the idea. If you like rambling and silly, go for it. Otherwise, there are a whole lot of other good books out there.
Patty
At first I laughed and laughed as I read this book because so many of the phrases were those I heard during my growing up years in small town, KY. Then the author just seemed to ramble aimlessly. Mostly I just didn't think she tied events together enough to weave a story. Still I laughed a lot...
Joselle173
A quick read about a Kentucky Mom and her four kids moving across country to CA on a road trip in the early 1950s. Hysterical at some points. I didn't care for the ending - sort of falls apart, which was a disappointment with the first 2/3rds of it being really good. Still worth the read though.
Angela
This was a fun read. It took me a minute to get into it though. She starts you off right in the midst of travel and leaving their home behind. She's driving to California to her husband and she has her four children with her. All sorts of crazy things happen to them on there way.
bookczuk
I trtied. Honestly. But if I saw one more double name (Becky Jean, Lila Mae, Irene GAye, Billy Cooper...and that's just in the first four pages!) I thought I'd scream. Not all of us in the south go by two first names. Cripes.
Suzanne
Never "got" this book. Kept reading it, kept reading it, kept reading it (until I actually finished it) thinking it would get better, tie it all together & make sense. It never ever did. Very frustrating.
Posey
I got about three quarters of the way through the book and gave up. Boring!
Emily Hazewinkel
This was an good book. Purely a good beach read--something fun for the summer.
Jeanie
I thought this book was dull.
Jeannie
Jeannie is currently reading it
Jul 27, 2014
Annie
Annie added it
Jul 17, 2014
Aimee Moore
Aimee Moore marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Robin Mueller
Robin Mueller marked it as to-read
Jun 07, 2014
The Southern Belles of Honeysuckle Way Kalifornien wir kommen Southern Belles of Honeysuckle Way, Vol. 2 Quentins