Start by marking “One More Year” as Want to Read:
One More Year

One More Year

One More Year is Sana Krasikov’s extraordinary debut collection, illuminating the lives of immigrants from across the terrain of a collapsed Soviet Empire. With novelistic scope, Krasikov captures the fates of people–in search of love and prosperity–making their way in a world whose rules have changed.
Published August 12th 2008 by Spiegel & Grau (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about One More Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One More Year

Imogen
Nov 09, 2008 Imogen rated it it was ok
Dude. This is the most Iowa Writers' Workshop book I have ever read, and when I was a little baby creative writing litfic zine self-publishing undergrad baby, I read a lot of Iowa Writers' Workshop books.

It's like, Jesus, I know that that place produces different kinds of writers, but if you wanted to boil what they do down into one book, this would be it. Seemingly innocuous observations that are actually full of meaning, if you really totally think about it? Check. A window into cultures that
Bettie☯
Mar 06, 2014 Bettie☯ rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: BBC radio listeners

Not keen on recreational drug stories; I could just open the tabloids in any country for that!
Elevate Difference
Jan 11, 2009 Elevate Difference rated it it was amazing
Sana Krasikov, in her first published collection, brings a filling and current group of short stories, and in them, creates honest characters whose interactions cannot be forgotten. Dramatic and awful at times, desperate and sparse, the stories move through time as each day does. Eagerly, you turn the page, hoping for the best, but you see it doesn't always happen.

As a graduate of the reknown Iowa Writers' Workshop, Krasikov sounds like Raymond Carver at times: despairing and hopeless with a sli
Robert Wells
Nov 17, 2008 Robert Wells rated it it was amazing
Stark stories of assimilation and identity that ask if we can ever be anything other than who we are. By this I mean that one's culture in inextricably tied to one's sense of self. When one's culture is stripped away, whether by choice or not, one begins to lose one's identity leaving a void into which myriad issues accumulate.
Clare
Jun 19, 2009 Clare added it
I had not planned on reading this collection of stories -I received a free hardback copy courtesy of the New York Public Library Young Lions Committee (I am not a member; I was invited to one of their events) and left it buried under the nine gazillion other books on my floor until I decided to read it a couple of days ago and was not at all disappointed. The stories focus on Russian/Georgian/Jewish immigrants in New York/the tri-state area (read: Westchester), and though I resent most authors w ...more
Lisa
Jan 11, 2012 Lisa rated it it was amazing
How often do you read a book and think "Why haven't I heard about this book before?" This is exactly what I thought all the way through this book. I enjoyed it immensely!

At the end of each short story, I wanted more. I wanted to know "What happens next?" and had the RATS! feeling that happens when you have to let go of a character at the story's end.

I'm going to order her first novel as soon as I get home. The back flap says that Sana Krasikov was born in the Ukraine and grew up in the former S
Daisy
Jul 29, 2011 Daisy rated it really liked it
Recommended to Daisy by: indirectly: on the shelf of a friend of an author I newly admire (C. M. Phoel)
What a discovery. These are beautifully written stories with honest, potent descriptions of loneliness and love and place. There's one story, "Debt," whose absent characters are almost more powerful than the ones who are present. This collection has mostly to do with immigrants from Russia or Georgia, some successful transplants and some not. Mine was a library copy and something I wish I owned.

The first of many lines I wanted to write down: It was hard to tell if he was smiling or sneering. His
Rachel
Mar 13, 2016 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I read these short stories because they won the 2009 Sami Rohr prize for emerging Jewish authors. There isn't necessarily a lot of Judaism in these tales, apart from one Modern Orthodox wedding, a synagogue sponsoring a secular couple and a woman who refuses to eat pork at her honorary aunt's home. They are, however, very well written. I read a review that likened their development to that of novels, and it stuck with me. The items here tilt to the side of the longer short story (and the final o ...more
Siv30
Apr 30, 2016 Siv30 rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
אני לא חובבת של ז'אנר הסיפור הקצר. בדומה לז'אנר המכתבים יש בו משהו שלא מאפשר לי לנשום מספיק את הדמויות, להיקשר אליהן ואני מסכימה עם ההגדרה של נורית וורגפט, שסיפור קצר משול לסטוץ. אמה מה, אני לא חובבת סטוצים ואני צריכה להיות במוד נפשי מאוד מוגדר בכדי לצלוח סיפורים קצרים או שהם צריכים להיות וירטואוזים (ר"ע ג'ון ווארלי).

לכן זה תמיד מפתיע אותי, שאני מתעקשת לנסות לקרוא ספרי סיפורים קצרים. כמו אישה מוכה, שחוזרת לבעלה המכה כי היא חושבת שאולי משהו ישתנה, שאולי זו הפעם האחרונה, שאולי יהיה טוב והפעם, הפעם
Ben
Mar 28, 2015 Ben rated it really liked it
Book Review – ‘One More Year’ by Sana Krasikov

Portobello Books – ISBN –9781846271779

8 out of 10

The characters in Sana Krasikov’s short stories in ‘One More Year’ are all looking for something, in between something. They may be between relationships, between stages in life, or even between countries. It is of people looking for a new life, or a new identity, both literal and metaphorical, but know the cost of what they are leaving behind.

We have parents who are seeking new connections with their
Donura

AUTHOR: Krasikov, Sana
PUBLISHER: Spiegel & Grau
COPYRIGHT: 2008

RATING: 5 out of 5

I must preface my review with the fact that I rarely read short stories collections because I always seem to be left wanting more. I think the last collection I read and really enjoyed was The Stories of Eva Luna by Isabel Allende.

This book was meant for me to read. The day I received it I was so drawn that I put my other books down and started in on it immediately. By early ev
Alea
Dec 13, 2008 Alea rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-for-review
One More Year is a collection of short stories that explore the lives of people from the former Soviet Union. Some have immigrated to the United States and others still live or have returned to Russia. The collection explores all sorts of relationships, from care takers, to husband and wife, to uncle and niece. Many different parts of life are captures as snapshots.

Some of my favorite stories include Asal, about a relationship not normally talked about, Better Half about a young couple that mar
J.A.
Dec 05, 2008 J.A. rated it really liked it
Two of the stories in this collection have been featured in The New Yorker, so I was excited when I saw a review copy of One More Year by Sana Krasikov arrive in the mail. These tales of Russian and Georgian immigrants hoping for better lives through love in its myriad muddied forms are honest and unflinching. Arranged marriages, affairs, and acceptance are commonplace as Krasikov accurately portrays the challenges of women who seek refuge in the attention and arms of all types of men, from the ...more
Kate Washburn
Sep 01, 2010 Kate Washburn rated it liked it
This is another hybrid book, this time from the Russian perspective. It is well written and interesting to read, but it did not keep me engaged. It is a difficult struggle to integrate into any society and Krasikov certainly brought a viewpoint often over looked. Some of the stories are of people who are planning to go back to their native land once they have earned enough money--always one more year; some are about individuals who are desperately trying to stay in America; one story is about a ...more
Kristin
Sampled, didn't get into. Depressingly "contemporary."
Wendy
Sep 23, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it
Short stories come in all different styles. Some are character studies; others have more of a vignette feel to them, that slice of life view; and then there are short stories that are more plot driven, with a clear beginning, middle and end. Sana Krasikov manages to capture all three in her collection, One More Year. Her characters are richly drawn and fully developed. Their stories are complex and I feel as if, for the instance of each story, I am walking in their shoes. One More Year is made u ...more
Betty-Anne
I’ve always enjoyed reading short stories, but it’s not often that I come across a writer who has the ability to hold my attention with every story.

Sana Krasikov’s One More Year comprises stories either with Russian/Ukranian characters and their relationship to each other and to assimilating in America.

While the characters seemed almost unrelentingly depressing, I still found myself looking forward to the next story. I found that I was not reading for the character development, but instead for t
Jim
Jul 24, 2012 Jim rated it liked it
A collection of stories relating the bleak stark, lives of immigrants from the former Soviet Union in Urban America. The dislocation between their current dreary lives and their aspirations is jarring. I read the French translation entitled "L'an prochain a Tbilissi" and the book may have lost something in translation, I found it difficult to get into the stories. These stories are often a sad portrait of those in search of a better life, finding things are so much more difficult in a country no ...more
Lena Tumasyan
Aug 06, 2011 Lena Tumasyan rated it really liked it
Being that I'm very similar in background and age to the author herself, Sana Krasikov, I found the book interesting in that a lot of my own life snippets were repeated in the stories. Lots of little things were exactly the same, so it's nice to see it happening somewhere outside of my own home and experience. However, her wording was very confusing. The timeline in stories wasn't very steady and she jumped around a little bit between actions, further confusing the plots of all the little storie ...more
Barbara Duvoisin
Nov 04, 2009 Barbara Duvoisin marked it as to-read
source: FT review (oct09) by john thornhill.

review excerpt: book of eight short stories, focuses mainly on the disconnected lives of émigrés as they try to establish coherent identities for themselves in the US. She is an author of wry, and at times dazzling, talent. But despite their promise and charm, her early stories fail to crystallise. It is only in her final two tales, “The Repatriates” and “There Will Be No Fourth Rome”, when her subjects return to Moscow, that the book bursts into authe
Kirsten
Jun 14, 2009 Kirsten rated it really liked it
I like the voice in these stories--compassionate, tough-minded, cosmopolitan--and she has a light touch I admired.

"In the metro I was met by the usual ocean of dour faces. My God, I thought, these people have chandeliers in their subways. They have sculpted arches and mosaics. Their stations look better than the halls of some universities! Couldn't they at least be delighted about *that*? It was as if everyone in Moscow was suffering from exactly the same toothache. And soon enough I'd be suffer
Samantha
Sep 09, 2008 Samantha rated it it was ok
This author surprises with her ability to observe and detail quintessential moments between people. She's only 27, yet her observations approach a maturity only seen usually in the clarity of later years.
The thematic scheme gives away her young age, though. The joining thread in each story is the break of a (almost exclusively romatic) relationship - a subject more typical of a writer in her 20s.
Vicky
Jun 24, 2014 Vicky rated it liked it
It was an interesting collection of short stories about Soviet immigrants in USA. Each story is a life changed and twisted, hopes lost and illusions shattered. The lives of many are changed forever as a result of collapse of Soviet Empire. In the fight for survival and better life, many generations are now estranged, children are neglected and the country that was so dear to them is lost forever.
kira
Dec 26, 2008 kira rated it liked it
Short stories. Krasikov has been widely compared to Jhumpa Lahiri -- and I think that's mainly because they both write about the experiences of immigrants (in Krasikov's case, Russian and Georgian) to the U.S. A pleasure to read. I am looking forward to reading Sana Krasikov's forthcoming novel, as most of her stories left me wanting to know more about the characters. I would like to see her take the time to go delve more deeply in the themes she touches on in this collection.
Patti
Oct 17, 2008 Patti rated it it was ok
This book was written by a young woman who went to school with Greg from third grade when she immigrated frm Russia, thru high school. She did not speak 1 word of English when she arrived. I read the book before giving it to Greg and the stories are interesting, a little raw at times, but made special by references to local places, and just having know the author since she was a little girl!
Marisa
Jul 01, 2009 Marisa rated it really liked it
This book is a collection of short stories about immigrants from various countries in the US. It is really well-written, and the characters are very vivid and well developed, I really enjoyed reading it. I was hoping for a little bit of connection between the characters in the various stories, but there is none. That is the only thing preventing me from giving it 5 stars :)
Abby Sominski
Sep 11, 2008 Abby Sominski rated it really liked it
I am glad I picked up this book when I did, due to recent events my interest in Russia was piqued. This author writes beautiful stories mostly about women in America trying to improve their situations but yearning for their past and to be with the people they love. I look forward to the author's first novel.
Lauren
Apr 13, 2014 Lauren rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Having never read a collection of short stories before, it didn't quite meet my expectations. The short stories consist of women living in America or in Russia and shows how their lives have changed. It was an alright read, but there was no character development and just normal problems your average person faces. All in all, it was ok
Lauren
Nov 30, 2016 Lauren rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These are very very good stories about immigrants from the former Soviet Union, mostly taking place in NYC and surrounding environs. Sharp, honest, unexpected. But as good as they are, Krasikov's new novel is light years beyond.

I am now officially a fan.

Sue Russell, you would have loved these. Here's to you, my dear.
Chris
Jun 08, 2009 Chris rated it liked it
Krasikov quite successfully captures the modern-day Russian emigré existence (I assume). Her stories portray characters of all ages, dispositions, and locations, struggling to make connections with each other and their homeland. Only rarely does Krasikov's youth seep through.
  • There Are Jews in My House
  • Displaced Persons
  • Natasha and Other Stories
  • The Strange Case of Rachel K
  • The New York Stories
  • Rich In Russia (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • The New York Stories of Henry James
  • Sightseeing
  • New Addresses
  • The Discovery of America by the Turks
  • Joy Comes in the Morning
  • The Mind-Body Problem
  • The Road: Stories, Journalism, and Essays
Sana Krasikov was born in Ukraine and grew up in the former Soviet republic of Georgia before immigrating to New York. She has since lived in Moscow and, more recently, Nairobi, where she helped her husband run NPR’s East Africa bureau out of their home.
Her debut collection ONE MORE YEAR went on to be translated into eleven languages and selected for the National Book Foundation's "5 under 35"
More about Sana Krasikov...

“But sometimes this hatred broke like a wave, unexplainably collapsing under its own weight, and before it would begin to well up again, she suddenly felt nothing but pure compassion for him, a kindness and forgiveness that almost broke her heart.” 13 likes