Start by marking “Witness in Bishop Hill (Joan Spencer, #5)” as Want to Read:
Witness in Bishop Hill (Joan Spencer, #5)

Witness in Bishop Hill (Joan Spencer #5)

Things have finally calmed down enough for cozy heroine Joan Spencer and her new husband, Lt. Fred Lundquist, to take a long-delayed honeymoon to celebrate their three-month-old nuptials. Of course, it won't be a traditional honeymoon, since they'll have Joan's teenage son Andrew in tow, and the fact that they are using the trip to finally visit Fred's family makes it even ...more
Published November 12th 2002 by St. Martin's Press (first published November 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Witness in Bishop Hill, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Witness in Bishop Hill

Lois Hecksel
Oct 10, 2016 Lois Hecksel rated it really liked it
An easy cozy mystery read with twists and turns, a person with Alzheimer's, excellent depiction of Old World customs, a small town that protects its own, and an expected finale.
Lelia Taylor
Aug 22, 2011 Lelia Taylor rated it really liked it
Shelves: full-reviews
Witness in Bishop Hill
Sara Hoskinson Frommer
St. Martin’s Minotaur, 2002
ISBN 0312302436
Hardcover

A cozy fit for the holidays.

Joan Spencer and her husband of three months, police lieutenant Fred Lundquist, are making plans for a belated honeymoon trip during the Christmas holidays when Fred’s sister calls, asking Fred and Joan to come home to look after their parents while she and her husband take a break. Fred hasn’t been home in a long time and Joan has never met her in-laws so they decide they’l
Reggie Billingsworth
Picked this up due to the title. I just got to know the Bishop Hill-Kewanee-Galva region a year ago and several visits later am looking forward to enjoying further connections with that community. So reading this tested my geographical & people knowledge against Frommer's fictional interpretation...as well as enjoying s nicely crafted read.

Heroine Joan Spencer (now married to policeman Fred Lundquist for series followers) is entirely believable as she possesses a thoughtful insight that does
Leta
Mar 25, 2015 Leta rated it really liked it
I recently received my copy of her latest book and because it had been a while, decided to go back a volume or two so that I could be remember names and relationships.

I like cozy mysteries and this one hits many points of the cozy stereotype*: lots of references to food, especially baked goods, B&Bs, lovely scenery and teenagers who are better behaved than I ever was and who seem to actively seek out old people to hang out with.

This last, however, is more motivated than usual because the te
Mary R.
Aug 06, 2015 Mary R. rated it liked it
I liked the description of Bishop Hill. I knew who she was talking to and everywhere she was walking. The author captured a moment in time quite well. However, I had an issue with her characters...they were behaving themselves all together too well. The teenage son was NICE and helpful. Too everyone. I could only give 3 stars for lack of conflict. (And no, the murder didn't count. Nice try though.)
Abigayle Hulslander
Dec 10, 2014 Abigayle Hulslander rated it really liked it
Shelves: wjhs, mystories
Witness in Bishop Hill, is about a woman named Joan who got married and for a three month honeymoon they went to see Fred's parents. While they were their Fred's mother got lost and seen a man get killed. The killer is now after Fred's mother, than a couple days after a woman was killed. Fred's mother can't remember who she has seen get killed or who is the killer. She has Alzheimer that makes her forget a lot of things. I recommend this books for who ever like mysteries.
Susan
Mar 05, 2010 Susan rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-illinois
Joan Spencer and her new husband Fred Lundquist plan a Christmas visit to his family in the little Swedish-settled town of Bishop Hill. Joan's college-age son Andrew comes with them. Joan is saddened to realize that her new mother-in-law Helga is sinking into Alzheimer's disease. But when Helga sees something that she shouldn't see--and can't remember--Fred and Joan realize that danger threatens her, and everyone in the small town.
Beth Harper
Liked the atmosphere a lot, and learned something about Alzheimer's as well. I worried that the Alzheimer's angle would make the book very depressing, but while it wasn't a barrel of laughs, it didn't bring down the book totally.
Ellen Marchessault
Feb 06, 2016 Ellen Marchessault rated it liked it
Shelves: alzheimer-s
Two and a half stars. Not my favorite of this series. Not much music in this one, although I did enjoy the Christmas setting in Bishop Hill. Unexpected perp, too.
Lindy-Lane
Lindy-Lane rated it liked it
May 14, 2011
Jennifer Schaley
Jennifer Schaley rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2015
Gerri Balter
Gerri Balter rated it it was amazing
Jun 05, 2014
Kaye
Kaye rated it liked it
Dec 12, 2013
Gail
Gail rated it liked it
Nov 07, 2008
Milrose
Milrose rated it liked it
Sep 25, 2011
Patsy
Patsy rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Amy Dunlap
Amy Dunlap rated it really liked it
Mar 31, 2015
Diane
Diane rated it did not like it
May 25, 2010
Kat
Kat rated it liked it
Feb 01, 2010
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it did not like it
Jan 06, 2011
Ac
Ac rated it liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Marnell
Marnell rated it it was amazing
Jan 23, 2014
Dinh Hong
Dinh Hong rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
Janine
Janine rated it liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Janelle
Janelle rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it liked it
Jul 12, 2014
Theresa
Theresa rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2010
Joan
Aug 15, 2015 Joan rated it liked it
Good cozy
« previous 1 3 next »

Joan Spencer (7 books)
  • Murder in C Major (Joan Spencer, #1)
  • Buried in Quilts (Joan Spencer, #2)
  • The Vanishing Violinist (Joan Spencer, #3)
  • Murder and Sullivan (Joan Spencer, #4)
  • Death Climbs a Tree (Joan Spencer, #6)
  • Her Brother's Keeper (Joan Spencer, #7)