Start by marking “All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers” as Want to Read:
All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers

All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  2,432 Ratings  ·  190 Reviews
Ranging from Texas to California on a young writer's journey in a car he calls El Chevy, All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers is one of Larry McMurtry's most vital and entertaining novels.

Danny Deck is on the verge of success as an author when he flees Houston and hurtles unexpectedly into the hearts of three women: a girlfriend who makes him happy but who won't stay,

Published May 1st 1989 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers

Bryce Wilson
Mar 19, 2008 Bryce Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
Old Shit I've Been Revisiting Part II: The Sequel.

Believe it or not but my tolerance for books about young men who are so desperately swamped by ennui, alienation and genius that they have no choice but to love up all the lovely ladies is extrodinarily low.

No really I kid you not. Yet for some reason this particular case of this dubious breed remains one of my favorite novels.

It's Larry McMurty's genius (yes I did say genius and I'll fight anyone who says different) for drawing character and p
Bob Mayer
Jan 21, 2014 Bob Mayer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book a long time ago, but searching under Larry McMurtry I saw the title and was reminded how much I enjoyed it.

It's funny and tender and evokes a Texas I vaguely remember when I was stationed at Fort Hood.
Beth Bonini
Like McMurtry, I got a Master's degree in English at Rice - and even though I went there at least 25 years after he did - some of his nostalgia for the place/era definitely rubbed off on me. When I was 23, I remember reading this book, Terms of Endearment and Moving On - all of which share the character of Emma Horton. They've long held a specific, special place in my heart, as the books we love when we are young tend to do.

In this book, Danny Deck (23 ish, graduate student and newly published w
Patrick McCoy
I was inspired to go seek out Larry McMurtry’s novel, All My Friends Are Going To Be Strangers after hearing Quentin Tarantino say that he had wanted to become a writer after reading this book. So I wanted to see what it was about the book that inspired him so. It is a bildungsroman, a sort of portrait of the artist as a young man. A young novelist, Danny Decker publishes his first novel which becomes optioned for a movie, not unlike McMurtry himself, who’s first novel Horseman, Pass By was made ...more
Nikki
Jul 02, 2010 Nikki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reasons why I loved this book:
1. The main character is an English major at Rice and there is a lot of lovely, loving description about Houston, its swampiness, its smell. Nothing like seeing your hometown and your home state treated with so much tenderness. I always hear that McMurtry is calling into question the mythology around Texas with his novels but I think he does that more with his flawed characters than he does with the land itself. I want to wade the Rio Grande at night more than anyth
Susan
May 15, 2016 Susan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Finally finished this book. Loved it. Partly because of the Texas locale, but mostly because of the range of characters and emotions and possibilities. I wasn't really hooked on the end which was vague and psychological and seemed like an answer to the however-am-I-going-to-end-this question. I found the characters completely believable even though I haven't met any people like them. Unique. Except maybe for Sally and her parents who were neither interesting nor unique as people.
Dusty
Dec 02, 2007 Dusty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2007
Fun and bizarre situations. The dinner scene with the Hollywood producer in the icy cave is my favorite. Swell characters, too, except the narrator, who is whiny and sleeps with -- literally -- EVERY female with whom he comes into contact. I wasn't repulsed. Just bored eventually.
Monica
Danny Deck works on his first novel, bounces between Houston and San Francisco, suffers a breakdown, and falls in love with at least four different women in the 1960s. Some of the traditional coming of age arcs coupled with McMurtry's total mastery of setting and road trip style characters that flit in and out stream of consciousness style. This was also very funny and an unbelievably fast read.

Honestly, my love for Larry McMurtry just continues to grow. Our library genre study is finally on to
Alec
Sep 08, 2010 Alec rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There is a phenomenon out there known as Omaha Syndrome or, alternatively, The Omaha Complex. Google, for some reason, is not supporting me in this claim, but I am positive it exists. Omaha Syndrome, in a nutshell, refers to the fact that any and all Omahans have a near-encyclopedic knowledge of all people/things/events originating in Omaha and an astounding eagerness to share these facts with the world. Warren Buffet! Gerald Ford! 311! Gale Sayers! Marlon Brando! Malcolm X! (And obviously you a ...more
Lark
Jul 09, 2010 Lark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Changed my mind. I'm giving it 3 because I enjoyed and believed the voice, and voice is particularly important to me. For a wannabe beat-gen, on-the-road hipster who's basically using a skeletal plot to detail some sexual exploits... our protagonist is refreshingly self-aware. He's a young guy struggling to come to grips with his own talent and what it means to be a successful writer while stuck in the rut of starving student and smelly hippie. And y'know, all of this rings very true. I'm kinda ...more
Slmcmahon
Mar 04, 2014 Slmcmahon rated it it was amazing
"All My Friends Are Going to Be Strangers" was the first of the many books by Larry McMurtry I have read. I found the book in a used book shop in Tucson, Arizona, where I was studying at the UofA, many years ago. To say that I have since read most of Mr. McMurtry's books and refuse to part with one of them is a testament to my regard for this author and bookman.

I highly recommend all of McMurtry's books that I have read. The author's ability to create characters that are likeable even if they ar
Deborah
This was my favorite book in college. I recommended it to my daughter and after reading it she said she did not like the way McMurtry portrayed women in it; so after 40 years I decided I should reread it. So far I have to agree with her. His writing is still awesome. I can literally feel the Houston heat in his descriptions, but his does paint his female characters with a bitter brush.

I will do a final review when I finish the book.

8/25/2012 - Finished the book yesterday and yes, it does portra
Bill Weinberg
Although this is far from one of McMurtry's best books, it is very important if you're a fan of his work. This book gives the reader the feel for his main characters in many of his other books. His hero is a man who has strong moral feelings and is tormented by them.

This is a recurrent theme. His characters are always sexual hedonists but they still display a moralistic tone towards the other characters. McMurtry is able to portray sex in many ways - tender, ridiculous, tawdry, shallow, fleeting
Natasha
May 22, 2009 Natasha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. Not enough for five stars, I think I have to save that for my all time favorite books ever written, but still really loved it. The main character is compelling, vulnerable and tough at the same time. It's also an insightful look at what it's like to be an artist (he's a writer) and the ups and downs of that life. Also, it's funny.
Stacy
Jul 19, 2012 Stacy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The enjoyment of any book is relative to the readers preferences and life experience. This book is one of my favorites ever because in an odd way it helped make sense of and articulate my experiences shortly after my college graduation in my early 20's.
Ellis Johnson
Jul 06, 2012 Ellis Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Again this is something I was particularly fond of at the time-I loved the fact that the main character became successful and made a ton of money and had wacky adventures on the way. I wonder what I would think of it now.
Corinna
One of My favorite Books. It was very real, very true. The style and form was believeable and kept the reader drawn in.
Kurt Reichenbaugh
Jun 24, 2012 Kurt Reichenbaugh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: beat-other
A young writer's journey. Entertaining and sad, like McMurtry's best work.
Cassandra
Literally what the fuck, Larry?
Debbie Reschke Schug
I feel like I need to read McMurtry's other works before I can properly review this since it seems to be reflecting and commenting on some of his well-traveled themes, so this will be somewhat of a cursory analysis.

Half way through the book, I started to feel like I was just in the backseat of McMurtry’s protagonist’s El Chevy, being thrown this way and that around the Southwest; rambling along into different worlds with not a lot of direction from Danny or the book. I think I even started ment
Tim
Jul 09, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much about "All My Friends are Going to be Strangers," from Larry McMurtry writing in his preface that it was expelled as a kind of afterbirth in the wake of the massive "Moving On," to its comparitive brevity, says "minor novel." It isn't.

One could naturally read "All My Friends" right after finishing "Moving On." They have similar qualities (episodic bed-hopping, people in their early to mid-20s with connections to academia trying to figure out their lives), as well as a setting (Houston, part
Steven
Jan 09, 2010 Steven rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
Galen Johnson
Jul 19, 2010 Galen Johnson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larry McMurtry can write. Well. This wasn't the best of plots, and I couldn't exactly relate to the drifting and unfaithful narrator, but almost every chapter there was some description or dialogue that just grabbed me. The writing rather than the characters or action made it a book I really enjoyed reading. The book describes the young writer Danny Deck, who marries a young woman he wakes up next to at a party just as his writing career is taking off. He soon takes off as well, fleeing with his ...more
Ryan Hull
Dec 19, 2012 Ryan Hull rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An intriguing, pseudo-biographical tale. A coming of age story for a student of literature. Tons of "meta-" whatevers running through it. The real point of reading McMurtry's story is that the prose is simple, the emotion heartfelt, and the writing good. He portrays the down and out crowd of a Bohemian in a red state, and the false allure of the grass is greener mentality.
Jeri
Mar 28, 2011 Jeri rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-general
I generally like this author but certainly never really got into the book. There were some promising moments as the "hero" danny deck drifted in and out of his life and relationships but he was never truly believable. At the end I felt let down. And the author of lonesome dove and Texasville really disappointed me. Save your time and if you're a McMurtry fan, go back to one of his older books
Paul
Jul 03, 2013 Paul rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I reread this book after having finished it about 20 years ago. It has regularly crossed my mind as one the most depressing stories of a star-crossed protagonist I've ever read. Could also be titled, "Every Thing I Do Is Wrong." (like one of my favorite lines by singer Johnny Motard, in the song Alien Autopsy- "You know I don't belong/ And everything I do is wrong")
Lisa
May 04, 2009 Lisa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
UPDATE: Okay, I hated this book, couldn't finish it. Found the characters annoying, the story (what threads I could find) a bore. Gave up. Sorry, guess I'm still not a Larry McMurtry fan.

I've never been a big Larry McMurtry fan but I thought I'd give this one a try. Six chapters in and I'm still waiting for a plot to emerge from this mess of quirky and annoying characters.
Sam
Oct 26, 2012 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book...3.5 Stars It kind of reminded me of Catcher in the Rye a bit, with the angst and coming of age kind of themes. If you are looking for old western style Larry McMurtry, this isn't it, but it had memorable characters along the lines of The Last Picture Show.
Richard
Dec 09, 2012 Richard rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A melancholic book chronicling the misadventures of a young alcoholic author. The book has some very compelling scenes, particularly those taking place in Texas, but ultimately Danny fails to engage the reader as a character. You never really care what happens to him.
Angela
Apr 21, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like to use the f-word a lot.
Recommended to Angela by: Mr. Hixenbaugh (my English IV teacher)
So far this book is pretty weird, i mean they say the f-word very often. everybody cheats on everybody, people see eachother naked all the time and they all feel okay with it. The most ironic thing about it is that my english IV teacher recommended it to me.
  • Siódemka
  • Snow White and Russian Red
  • Kinflicks
  • Power Failure: The Inside Story of the Collapse of Enron
  • The Wanderers
Larry McMurtry is the author of twenty-nine novels, including the Pulitzer Prize-winning Lonesome Dove, three memoirs, two collections of essays, and more than thirty screenplays.

Among many other accolades he was the co-winner of an Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay for Brokeback Mountain in 2006.

Larry McMurty was born in Wichita Falls Texas in 1936. His first published book Horseman, Pass By was
More about Larry McMurtry...

“Razzy was insulting me silently somehow.” 6 likes
“You ought to take more chances," I said.
"I took too many earlier," she said. "I'm sorry.”
4 likes