Start by marking “Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder: Tips and Tools to Help You Take Charge of Your Life and Get Organized” as Want to Read:

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  303 ratings  ·  61 reviews
ADD, Attention Deficit Disorder and ADHD, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, are prevalent in society today, afflicting about 4.4% of the adult population, which is over 13 million Americans. Four out of every five adults do not even know they are ADD, and while it is often difficult to differentiate adults with true ADD from adults who are merely forgetful and diso ...more
Published December 1st 2006 by Fair Winds Press (first published January 1st 2006)

Be the first to ask a question about Organizing Solutions for People With Attention Deficit Disorder

Mariam
Somehow, I missed the subtitle: "for people with Attention Deficit Disorder," when I bought this book more than a year ago. Consequently, I never tried reading it. Last night while going through one of my shelves, I picked it up and began browsing through the pages. To my amazement, this book is exactly what I NEED!
This is the best organizing/de-cluttering book that I've read in a long time, perhaps ever. I don't have ADHD and it was still super-helpful. This will be the book I recommend to others if they're asking about this topic. Here are my take away principles (because, yes, it was so good, I took notes):
1. storage solutions should be easy, obvious, and in the place where the stuff will be used.
2. use open shelving, clear bins, labeled (but not fancy), as little stacking as possible
3. You must use emp
Rebecca
So I didn't realize, when I picked this book up at the library, that it is for people with ADD. So imagine my initial skepticism, then alarm, then giddy delight at seeing my very house-- nay, my very SELF-- described on every page.

The utensils fornicating in the jammed drawer! The avalanche of mismatched tupperware and yogurt containers raining upon the head of any who dares open the cupboard! The stacks and duplicates of Things saved just in case!

The author's solutions are fantastically practic
Susan Pinsky's other book pretty much changed my organizing life and I still follow many of her principles, so I was excited to read this book, even though I don't have ADD/ADHD. In some ways, it's a shame that this book is directed toward that subset of the population, because really, it's useful for anyone desperate to stop the endless organizing that never ends up solving the problem.

I think Fast and Furious 5 Step Organizing Solution was a better book, but there are plenty of useful tips in
Annette
Feb 25, 2009 Annette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Annette by: Stephanie H.
I think this woman's favorite word is PURGE!!! I really didn't think that I needed to do that much purging. We've only lived in our house about a year and half and we did a great deal of purging before we moved. I was quite surprised at how much stuff I ended up taking to the Goodwill. I went through all of my kitchen cupboards, my pantry, my bedroom closet, and the boxes and boxes of hand-me-downs stacked up in the basement. I took quite a few trips to the Goodwill and quite a few bags of trash ...more
Carolynn Padgett
I read this book with the idea of finally discovering why I do things the way I do (I have ADD), and finding ways to change the way I operate, so I have more control of my life. Well, this book helps, but not that much. This author gives some good advice, such as using hooks, and not storing things behind doors or in opaque, lidded containers, but some of the rest of her suggestions just don't seem like they would work for me. Things like, "don't own more dishes than will fill your dishwasher," ...more
Vanessa
Jan 18, 2010 Vanessa rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Adults with ADD
Shelves: own
This is one of the few books of it's kind; a home organizing book for adults with ADD. I first picked this up at the library, and just had to buy it!! This book would probably also work well for people who think they are too busy or impatient with the whole organizing process and would really like to do something about it. It has a lot of photos so you can see what they're talking about. Now I know why I kept changing how my home office was organized - I just never could seem to get it manageabl ...more
Nicole Bacile
It was a great motivator. She shows before and afters - very easy read. Best organizing book.
Practical.
Sara
I had heard this book was helpful for anyone, regardless of having ADD or not. It's a very beginner's guide to organizing... A few outside the box, helpful ideas, but hardly anything I hadn't heard before. Also, while there are times when it's worth spending extra money in order to simplify, many of the solutions seemed to require either missing out on potential money or spending (seemingly unnecessary) money. In general, the tips in this book weren't necessarily bad; they just also weren't espe ...more
Angie
If I can get Larry to read the book and implement some of the ideas, it gets another star. ;) Having recently read The Magic Art of Tidying, I couldn't help but notice that both authors are in favor of fewer possessions making for a tidier house. Sounds obvious, but if it provides subject matter for more than one book it clearly is news to somebody! The main difference between the content of the two books is whether they favor form (Kondo) or function (Pinsky) in storing belongings. The main dif ...more
Elfish1
I've read a lot of books about decluttering and Susan Pinsky's books speak the loudest to the clutter in my life. I read this first as a library book, then bought my own copy. It's that good. I've since bought her new book too.

My home office has been reorganized many times over the past few years and it's never really worked over the long run. Part of that was because I was trying to organize everything I had instead of doing a lot of editing of my possessions. I also tried too hard to make ever
Erin
Before I met my husband, it never occurred to me that doors can double as towel racks, checkbooks can also be used as coasters, and that Tupperware lids make acceptable plates. I am a Type A neat freak who tends to hoard books, and my husband is an easily distracted I'll-clean-when-company-comes type who would rather throw things out than organize them. (Like, filing cabinets, for instance.)

So a friend of mine loaned me this book so I could come up with some compromises that would help me keep t
Shannon
Mar 05, 2015 Shannon rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people with ADHD, families/friends of people with ADHD
Ms. Pinsky's book will work for anyone who needs to organize, not just folks with ADHD, but her tips are definitely less elegant and more practical than some of the things I've seen in other books. She advises against the pretty (no magazine-ready Martha Stewart spreads here) in favour of the efficient - lidless clear totes, baskets and shoe-hangers figure prominently in her designs since these things keep an ADHD person's possessions in sight, rather than "out of sight, out of mind". They also ...more
Jul 03, 2013 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Adults with ADD/ADHD
If you are an adult who has ADD/ADHD then I recommend you read this book. I can be difficult for many people to keep up with organizing. However, as quoted from the book "for someone with ADHD even the simplest take takes much more energy than it take for others." Another quote from the book that I feel is true is, "to shower, get dressed, and get out the door in the morning can require the kind of care and concentration that the average person expend over their entire day." I feel like the auth ...more
Stacia Hehenberger
Bought this book based on a recommendation from a blog. It's not your typical organizing book- written for people who aren't inherently organized people. The focus is on function, not photo worthy spaces. Already implemented several tips. Good read for people needing real world organizing ideas.
Sheila
While many of the suggestions are very useful for the non-ADHD person to help (in my case) and ADHD kid get organized, many of the ideas are ridiculous. Limiting the number of photos you take at birthdays,(suggestion:2) etc. so there is less organizing to do seems almost cruel. The idea that a hammer and nails can create instant hanging space just made me cringe. While functionality is more important than being pretty, there are solutions (like an over-the-door hanging rack)that do not make you ...more
Marissa Morrison
This is a good book overall. Some ideas are great (give each family member his/her own color of towels and his/her own laundry day, hang a long wire rack on the bathroom door, store magazines vertically in baskets and racks, put recycling bins all over the house). Some suggestions are silly--e.g. don't itemize donations because it's an inefficient use of time (I spend about 10 minutes each year on this for hundreds in tax deductions!). And some are just obnoxious (limit photos to 2 per birthday ...more
Jessica
One of the best organizing books I have read. Pinsky favors function over form, creating a realistic organizing style that is possible to maintain. Easy to read and many helpful photos.

Be sure to get the latest edition.
Lisa Russell
This book had some good ideas for those of us that are ADD. Mainly it was first to purge what you don't use, then when you store it, have it out in the open where you can see it - like open shelving. I had done this with my spices - not having them hid in a cabinet but have them in a spice rack that is on the wall of my pantry. Though it may not "look" the best, it will help you function better and I have found that this is true, already doing this without knowing it was something that would ben ...more
Beth
If you have ADD but aren't totally comfortable with it, this book MIGHT bother you; the author has quite the brash/tough love tone throughout the book. But hey, if that's the case, GET OVER IT and keep going because this book has so many great, succinct ideas on how to organize with ADD. The main tenets are:
1. Get rid of it. Less stuff = less stuff to manage and take care of.
2. Replace it with stuff that's easier to manage.
3. Put it in open shelving (even if it's not pretty).

Sometimes the aut
Michelle
Very helpful! This book was written to help those with ADHD, but everyone can benefit. Great ideas to simplify.
Nancy B
I'm really excited to try some of the solutions this book suggests! I'm not sure how much support I can get from my family, but even a few changes could make a big difference in our house.

A few ideas, while good in theory, strike me as impractical for our lives. For example, Pinsky encourages readers to keep only six food containers. I use more than that just packing lunches for three kids. But as I said before, even a few small changes could really help with my organizing dysfunction.
Amber
The book itself reminds me of a collection of magazine articles. Lots of photos and small blurbs amidst a larger "article". Some good suggestions to pick and choose from. As with any organizational paradigm, not everything will work for everyone.
Leslie Hickman
Some was good information, but it repeats itself over and over. It also doesn't take in affect of financial costs. Point in fact the cost of having a lawn company to mow the lawn. My yard would be over $100 a week. No offense I would love to have a lawn crew, but I live where lawn mowing is done over 1/2 the year. $2600 for lawn service or $900 for mower & gasoline a year...even if I bought a new mower every year it would be cheaper! Get realistic!
Heather Kernan
Helpful book with simple ideas about efficiency that were easy to incorporate.
Gigi
I have a son with ADHD and so only a few chapters on bedrooms & playrooms were applicable. I thought she gave some great advice and a few things I am going to implement (removing closet doors, reduce clothes to minimum, & open shelves. IF I had ADD this book would be worth 4 stars because I could then use every section. She takes each area of the home and offers tips and solutions. She also addresses scheduling.
Rada
I thought this book was great. I liked the post it notes on the side that pulled out the main points of the page. I liked the pictures. I liked the efficiency stressed in this book. After reading it, I organized my bathroom and bedroom. I can't tell you how much more peaceful it is now. It was cathartic to throw items away or donate them. I will be applying these principles to the rest of my house.
Karen Taylor
Most useful organizing book for adults with ADHD tendencies who have no need for any treatment!
Elissa
This book had a lot of helpful hints for those with ADD and those who live with someone with ADD. Some of the tips were things that non-ADDers would not find helpful or appropriate, but are perfect for people with ADD. A lot of the stuff anyone could find helpful. Her main point was in most cases choose efficiency over pretty much everything else, including beauty.
  • ADD-Friendly Ways to Organize Your Life
  • The Disorganized Mind: Coaching Your ADHD Brain to Take Control of Your Time, Tasks, and Talents
  • Women with Attention Deficit Disorder: Embrace Your Differences and Transform Your Life
  • Delivered from Distraction: Getting the Most out of Life with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Organizing for the Creative Person: Right-Brain Styles for Conquering Clutter, Mastering Time, and Reaching Your Goals
  • Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD
  • Taking Charge of Adult ADHD
  • Your Life Can Be Better, Using Strategies for Adult ADD/ADHD
  • Fast Minds: How to Thrive If You Have ADHD (Or Think You Might)
  • Organizing for Your Brain Type: Finding Your Own Solution to Managing Time, Paper, and Stuff
  • More Attention, Less Deficit: Success Strategies for Adults with ADHD
  • The Gift of Adult ADD: How to Transform Your Challenges and Build on Your Strengths
  • You Mean I'm Not Lazy, Stupid or Crazy?! A Self-Help Book for Adults with Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Is It You, Me, or Adult ADD? Stopping the Roller Coaster When Someone You Love Has Attention Deficit Disorder
  • Enough Already!: Clearing Mental Clutter to Become the Best You
  • Scattered: How Attention Deficit Disorder Originates and What You Can Do About It
  • The Organized Student: Teaching Children the Skills for Success in School and Beyond
  • The Queen of Distraction: How Women with ADHD Can Conquer Chaos, Find Focus, and Get More Done