La prima indagine di Montalbano

La prima indagine di Montalbano (Commissario Montalbano #8.5)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  602 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Montalbano ha trentacinque anni, è un uomo adulto, ma nella professione sconta ancora qualche ingenuità, non è così astuto, smaliziato come siamo abituati a conoscerlo. E c'è chi è pronto ad approfittarne... L'archeologia di Montalbano e le sue prime esperienze nel mondo del crimine narrate in tre lunghi racconti.
Hardcover, Scrittori italiani e stranieri, 340 pages
Published 2004 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about La prima indagine di Montalbano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La prima indagine di Montalbano

Ivonne Rovira
The novella’s title refers to Salvo Montalbano’s first case after his promotion to chief inspector at Vigàta, which involves an illiterate young girl thought to have tried to assassinate a judge. But Salvo soon realizes there’s much more to the case than meets the eye.

Author Andrea Camilleri packs a lot into the book’s 97 pages, which readers new to the series will appreciate. However, longtime fans will be amused at how the maverick Montalbano begins his tenure with his typical disregard for ru...more
Richard
This is not part of the Inspector Montalbano series and certainly not a brief account to be squeezed between books 8 & 9 as Goodreads seems to suggest. No it is as clear as the title declares; this is Montalbano's first case, when he is promoted and transferred to Vigàta. So it is a prequel and anyone who has seen the first episode from the BBC series "The Young Montalbano" will already be familiar with this story.
As in this the established series the books and screenplays are seemingly seam...more
Cathy Cole
This prequel to the wonderful Inspector Montalbano mystery series by Andrea Camilleri will be read eagerly by all his fans, and is a great starting point for those who have yet to read any of the books. In it, we see a young Montalbano when he first arrives in Vigata. We get to see him choosing his home. We get to see him finding all the best restaurants in which to eat and learning to work with the rest of the staff in the police station and a journalist at the local television station. We watc...more
Elidanora
Después de la decepción del último de Montalbano, leer estos relatos es como volver al inicio y entender porque me gusta tanto esta serie.
Los tres son relatos sin sangre, como apunta el autor y en tres momentos de la vida del comisario.
Me gusto sobre todo el 2do. ya que habla de cuando era subcomisario y el inicio de la carrera en Vigata, se vislumbra ya que le gusta mantener relaciones a distancia, probablemente para poder manejar su vida sin dar demasiadas explicaciones, tan solo alguna excu...more
Pam
A nice romp with Camilleri & Salvo with BIG hits on the high points of personality and place. ...w/o ever giving up the good mystery! I do have a more current Montalbano in Italian (which has not been translated/published in the US/UK) but I do fear my abilities to do anything significant w/ that. I've been reading a Facebook blog that is more often than not written in Venexiane and really, cannot make it out so I do not think I'll be any good w/ the Siciliano either!

Meanwhile, I'm happy to...more
Paola
Un Camilleri ogni tanto ci vuole. Il tono dell'umore vira al positivo, i neuroni si mettono a far feste giochi e balli.
E questo poi a me ha dato l'ennesima conferma (casomai ce ne fosse bisogno) del genio letterario del grande vecchio.
Cominciamo dalla fine per una volta. Il terzo racconto é normale amministrazione.
Non commento ulteriormente.
Il secondo é quello che usando un anglicismo si chiama "pre-quel", mi pare, e cioé sono gli inizi di Montalbano a Vigata, proveniente da anni di lavoro in...more
Ann Sloan
This novella (97 pages according to Amazon) is a prequel to the international bestselling Inspector Montalbano series. It was available on Net Galley, so I received my copy on my Kindle. Thank you, Net Galley!

According to the reviews on Amazon, “Salvo Montalbano is thirty-five years old and still a bit naive—and there are plenty of criminals ready to take advantage of his inexperience.” I didn’t detect any naivety in Montalbano at all, except, perhaps, he didn’t pay close enough attention to his...more
Lakis Fourouklas
I’ve been reading Andrea Camilleri for more than 15 years now. I think the best thing about his stories is their simplicity. He doesn’t seem to try to impress the reader by creating exploding scenes of chaos and mayhem; he just wants to tell a story.

As the title suggests this book is all about Montalbano’s First Case. The good detective, who was to become a celebrity one day, in this story is young, but not so inexperienced. He lives and works in Mascalippa, but not for long since soon he’s goin...more
Piperitapitta
...infatti lo sto rileggendo perch�� non me lo ricordo proprio :-)

premesso che l'ho letto veramente male, nei ritagli di tempo e soprattutto interrompendolo in momenti nei quali avrei voluto proseguire nella lettura, Montalbano �� sempre una garanzia ed �� piacevole andare a scoprire com'era prima di arrivare a Vig��ta o appena insediatosi fare la conoscenza di Fazio e Catarella; anche in storie meno coinvolgenti - si tratta di un libro di tre racconti - riesce ad inanellare delle piccole perle,

The Frahorus
Montalbano ha trentacinque anni, è un uomo adulto, ma nella professione sconta ancora qualche ingenuità, non è così astuto, smaliziato come siamo abituati a conoscerlo. E c'è chi è pronto ad approfittarne... L'archeologia di Montalbano e le sue prime esperienze nel mondo del crimine narrate in tre lunghi racconti, dal titolo Sette lunedì, La prima indagine di Montalbano e Ritorno alle origini. Qui troveremo Montalbano all'inizio della sua carriera, che intreccia una relazione non con la ben nota...more
Zeb Kantrowitz
This is just a novella prequel but it does set the tone for the future for Salvo Montalbano. He gets transferred to Vigata and settles into his life in his beachfront house. He meets many of the men who he will be working with and where he will eat. It's a nice little (96 pages) story and we get to see Salvo doing his best to make the best out of a bad situation for a young lady who is involved in his first investigation.

Zeb Kantrowitz
Lynn
this short book appears to be a prequel and it cuts lickety-split to the chase. All of Montalbano's traits are here in full, not just developing as if he were truly starting out on his ultimate path of the crusty investigator. He even has a girlfriend who for some reason is content to let him call the shots.

The author is funny but I have a problem with how his female characters are written.
Terianne
I absolutely love the Inspector Montalbano series and read them as soon as each new book comes out. This book is the prequel to the series. It is shorter than the other novels, and some of the characters so familar to readers of the series are not in this book. Still, it was an enjoyable read, showing how Montalbano came to be Chief Inspector of the Vigata police force.
L.M. Quinn
“Montalbano’s First Case” gives us a small taste of the fascinating police detective Salvo Montalbano that we see in “The Young Montalbano” TV series. As one reviewer pointed out, there are a lot of loose threads hanging in this novel. Where do Livia, Mimi, and Catarella come into the story? Certainly, they are already an important part of Montalbano’s life from novel one of the series. Enough said about that.

What this prequel does give us, is the potential of the Montalbano character, his quirk...more
Cathie
Took a little while to get into the way of writing, which felt slightly old fashioned. But the story was good, I enjoyed the food-loving detective, and I will look for more of his mysteries!
Pamela
I have to admit that I would have found this novel to be rather silly if I was not acquainted with the workings of Italian law enforcement via another mystery series. I enjoyed the simplicity of the story and how it speaks volumes about the Italian culture in Vigata, which I suspect we may be exposed to in the future. Salvatore Montalbano is "a man of the sea", and has a strong connection to that place of the sea. His new living quarters are on the beach. He will be at his best when he is not re...more
Siuan83
Non avevo mai letto nulla di Camilleri, ma questo romanzo che raccoglie tre sue indagini mi è piaciuto tantissimo !!
Il dialetto siciliano, usato per dare realismo all'ambiente non è assolutamente di intralcio alla lettura e il commissario Montalbano, che ad essere sinceri mi immaginavo come un individuo volgare e rozzo è in realtà una persona molto umana , di buon cuore e con un notevole amore per la letteratura, il che non guasta mai .
Una trama perfetta e ben orchestrata , uno stile incisivo,...more
Simon Luckett
Great writing style - comes through even in translation. Looking forward to reading more.
Bernard
Interesting main character and unusual credible sicilian atmospher.
Karen L
A good read but the Inspector Montalbano first three books in the series are even better.
John Johnstone
Great short novel, very entertaining police detective story. If you seen some of the TV programmes then you will enjoy this even more. The Salvo Montalbano character is cool and totally unphased by the day to day frustration of police work, he is also driven by food and is easily seduced by good food. Based in Sicily the story has some involvement with the families, a girl is found with a gun and leads to the investigation - Montalbano's first case.
Celia
Salvatore Montalbano, at age 35, is promoted to the rank of chief inspector and transferred to Vigata, on the Sicilian coast. Once there, he is soon involved in his first case, and things don't turn out to be quite the way they seemed at first, but Montalbano finds a way. Sound familiar? I don't know when Andrea Camilleri wrote this novella, but the younger Montalbano isn't much different from his older self. If you like him, you'll like this.
Michele Weiner
Montalbano is a nice protagonist. He has his quirks, but knows what's what in Sicily. The mystery he solves involves a purported plot against a local judge, but nobody can figure out why the pretty girl was lurking in the courthouse with an inoperable old gun determined to kill a judge she had no prior connection with. There are mafioso involved, of course, and a pretty neat puzzle. I would read another.
Shannon
A nice introduction to Inspector Montalbano - no Catarella, no Mimi and no Livia (but his tendency to kind of ignore the women in his life is apparent). His father is briefly in this story and unfortunately it's all we see/hear of him. But the story's similar to the 'post' ones where Montalbano puts the pieces together in a slightly wacky way. Also, there's the food!
Amadi
The version on my Kindle has no notes. I rely on those notes to understand everything from Sicilian dishes to Italian politics. It was incredibly irritating not to have them.

The pros: It was nice to see him move to Vigata, meet Zito, get used to working with Fazio, and of course find his restaurant. The cons: the story left a bit to be desired.

2.5 stars.
Bill
You know? I have read mysteries for years and thought I knew the great writers like you know your hands, and then I read this one by
Andrea Camilleri and I had never heard of the guy.

But I have now, and I plan to read this whole series now – he is that good – no, not just good, he’s great. You have to read him – and you won’t be able to stop.
Guillermo
Son tres casos cortos de Montalbano. Es una pena pero no se nota ninguna diferencia en el carácter del comisario ni en la escritura de Camilleri; quiero decir, hubiese sido interesante descubrir al joven Salvo/Camilleri.
De todas maneras no tiene contraindicaciones, son buenos relatos.
Dave Walls
It is interesting to read about Montalbano's early days as chief inspector and to learn some of his foundations of his methods. The start of the book is a bit slow, but one he is in Vigata, the book is a more familiar crime procedural. Another great book
Andrew
Laughed - love the food descriptions as always
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • Almost Blue
  • Fuori da un evidente destino
  • Morti di carta
  • Romanzo criminale
  • La briscola in cinque
  • Il centravanti è stato assassinato verso sera
  • La casta. Così i politici italiani sono diventati intoccabili
  • Difesa a zona
  • The Goodbye Kiss
  • La variante di Lüneburg
  • Happy Birthday, Türke!
  • La donna della domenica
  • 54
Andrea Camilleri (born september 6, 1925 in Porto Empedocle) is an Italian writer. He is considered one of the greatest Italian writers of both 20th and 21st centuries.

Originally from Porto Empedocle, Sicily, Camilleri began studies at the Faculty of Literature in 1944, without concluding them, meanwhile publishing poems and short stories. Around this time he joined the Italian Communist Party.

Fro...more
More about Andrea Camilleri...
The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, #1) The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2) Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4) The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3) Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano, #5)