Start by marking “La prima indagine di Montalbano” as Want to Read:
La prima indagine di Montalbano

La prima indagine di Montalbano (Commissario Montalbano #8.5)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,117 Ratings  ·  72 Reviews
Montalbano ha trentacinque anni, è un uomo adulto, ma nella professione sconta ancora qualche ingenuità, non è così astuto, smaliziato come siamo abituati a conoscerlo. E c'è chi è pronto ad approfittarne... L'archeologia di Montalbano e le sue prime esperienze nel mondo del crimine narrate in tre lunghi racconti.
Hardcover, Scrittori italiani e stranieri, 340 pages
Published 2004 by Mondadori

To ask other readers questions about La prima indagine di Montalbano, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La prima indagine di Montalbano

Paul
Apr 19, 2016 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-thrillers
Montalbanos First Case & Other Stories

If you enjoy Andrea Camilleri’s detective Inspector Montalbano, then this book is for you, even if the stories will be familiar to those who have watched the TV series. This is also Camilleri’s personal anthology of those short stories, and all readers are treated to the rich prose and imagery that he uses, that is even better than the views one gets from the television series.

From Salvo’s first case when he had not yet been appointed to Vigata and was a
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 16, 2013 Ivonne Rovira rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The novella’s title refers to Salvo Montalbano’s first case after his promotion to chief inspector at Vigàta, which involves an illiterate young girl thought to have tried to assassinate a judge. But Salvo soon realizes there’s much more to the case than meets the eye.

Author Andrea Camilleri packs a lot into the book’s 97 pages, which readers new to the series will appreciate. However, longtime fans will be amused at how the maverick Montalbano begins his tenure with his typical disregard for ru
Richard
Jan 19, 2014 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
This is not part of the Inspector Montalbano series and certainly not a brief account to be squeezed between books 8 & 9 as Goodreads seems to suggest. No it is as clear as the title declares; this is Montalbano's first case, when he is promoted and transferred to Vigàta. So it is a prequel and anyone who has seen the first episode from the BBC series "The Young Montalbano" will already be familiar with this story.
As in this the established series the books and screenplays are seemingly seam
Cathy Cole
Oct 18, 2013 Cathy Cole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This prequel to the wonderful Inspector Montalbano mystery series by Andrea Camilleri will be read eagerly by all his fans, and is a great starting point for those who have yet to read any of the books. In it, we see a young Montalbano when he first arrives in Vigata. We get to see him choosing his home. We get to see him finding all the best restaurants in which to eat and learning to work with the rest of the staff in the police station and a journalist at the local television station. We watc ...more
writer...
Unabridged Audiobook
Release Date: 02-11-16
Publisher: Blackstone Audio

Short Story Month of MAY
Introduction to the collected 21 stories, chosen and described by author, Camilleri. Not all stories are in original written order, in fact the first one is his most recent. Not
Ann Sloan
Oct 22, 2013 Ann Sloan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This novella (97 pages according to Amazon) is a prequel to the international bestselling Inspector Montalbano series. It was available on Net Galley, so I received my copy on my Kindle. Thank you, Net Galley!

According to the reviews on Amazon, “Salvo Montalbano is thirty-five years old and still a bit naive—and there are plenty of criminals ready to take advantage of his inexperience.” I didn’t detect any naivety in Montalbano at all, except, perhaps, he didn’t pay close enough attention to his
Elidanora
Apr 13, 2014 Elidanora rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Después de la decepción del último de Montalbano, leer estos relatos es como volver al inicio y entender porque me gusta tanto esta serie.
Los tres son relatos sin sangre, como apunta el autor y en tres momentos de la vida del comisario.
Me gusto sobre todo el 2do. ya que habla de cuando era subcomisario y el inicio de la carrera en Vigata, se vislumbra ya que le gusta mantener relaciones a distancia, probablemente para poder manejar su vida sin dar demasiadas explicaciones, tan solo alguna excu
Dale
Feb 28, 2015 Dale rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery, italy
This is a straight-up Montalbano story without the self-referential nonsense that has marred some of the recent books in the Montalbano series. It is as if by writing about the early Montalbano, Camilleri was able to regain the direct freshness of the earlier novels.

Montalbano has just received his promotion to inspector and transferred to Vigata, much to his delight. And already he has his fine sense of justice which sometimes causes him to bend the rules beyond all recognition. And he has begu
Siuan83
Aug 10, 2013 Siuan83 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook
Non avevo mai letto nulla di Camilleri, ma questo romanzo che raccoglie tre sue indagini mi è piaciuto tantissimo !!
Il dialetto siciliano, usato per dare realismo all'ambiente non è assolutamente di intralcio alla lettura e il commissario Montalbano, che ad essere sinceri mi immaginavo come un individuo volgare e rozzo è in realtà una persona molto umana , di buon cuore e con un notevole amore per la letteratura, il che non guasta mai .
Una trama perfetta e ben orchestrata , uno stile incisivo,
William
Mar 15, 2016 William rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fun read if you are a Montalbano fan (which is how I get to four stars) but it is as literature somewhat below many books in this extensive series. Camilleri is not a gifted creator of short stories, and only five of the twenty stories in this volume struck me as really good. Plot is not Camilleri's strength, and the facts of these cases are often a bit bland. But the people are as vibrant as usual and Montalbano is a wonderful character whom the reader gets to know better from this co ...more
Stargazer
Like a comfy old pair of slippers. i just love hanging out with montalbano (and cat), and the stories are almost incidental.
Inna
Jun 04, 2016 Inna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The level of the short stories varies, but the collection is still delightful and very much fun to read.
Pam
Mar 16, 2014 Pam rated it really liked it
A nice romp with Camilleri & Salvo with BIG hits on the high points of personality and place. ...w/o ever giving up the good mystery! I do have a more current Montalbano in Italian (which has not been translated/published in the US/UK) but I do fear my abilities to do anything significant w/ that. I've been reading a Facebook blog that is more often than not written in Venexiane and really, cannot make it out so I do not think I'll be any good w/ the Siciliano either!

Meanwhile, I'm happy to
Dick W
Jan 05, 2016 Dick W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Published when the author was 79, this book reveals a writer on top of his game, confident in his style and genre. If new to Inspector Montalbano the book offers the reader a light piece of Sicilian detective whimsy. To those who have read all of the previous Montalbano books (more than 20) or watched the TV series (which I have - more than once!), the book is a 5 star joy.

Taking us back to Montalbano's youth (mid 30's !) the book repeats its travelogue and gastronomic treats but also makes clea
Jim
Jun 10, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of mysteries
Recommended to Jim by: TV series
For the last couple of years I have been watching Salvo Montalbano solve cases on the MHZ Network. I had noticed that they were based on books written by 90 year old ANDREA CAMILLERI. Recently while looking for a book to read, I found MONTALBANO'S FIRST CASE which was described as a "prequel" to the full series (more than 12 books). I thought this would be a good place to start so I dove right in.

The story opens with Salvo Montalbano, a successful Sicilian police inspector, musing about his futu
Alison C
Mar 17, 2015 Alison C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Montalbano's First Case, by Andrea Camilleri, is what the title says it is: the first case of newly minted Chief Inspector Salvo Montalbano as he is reassigned to Vigata, Sicily. After having been posted in a mountainous region for years, his heart is overjoyed to be moving to this coastal town, and he wastes no time in finding a suitable sea-side house to rent and a number of superb restaurants in which to eat. But he also has to deal with a young woman who apparently has murder on her mind, a ...more
Paola
Dec 14, 2010 Paola rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gialli
Un Camilleri ogni tanto ci vuole. Il tono dell'umore vira al positivo, i neuroni si mettono a far feste giochi e balli.
E questo poi a me ha dato l'ennesima conferma (casomai ce ne fosse bisogno) del genio letterario del grande vecchio.
Cominciamo dalla fine per una volta. Il terzo racconto é normale amministrazione.
Non commento ulteriormente.
Il secondo é quello che usando un anglicismo si chiama "pre-quel", mi pare, e cioé sono gli inizi di Montalbano a Vigata, proveniente da anni di lavoro in
Lakis Fourouklas
I’ve been reading Andrea Camilleri for more than 15 years now. I think the best thing about his stories is their simplicity. He doesn’t seem to try to impress the reader by creating exploding scenes of chaos and mayhem; he just wants to tell a story.

As the title suggests this book is all about Montalbano’s First Case. The good detective, who was to become a celebrity one day, in this story is young, but not so inexperienced. He lives and works in Mascalippa, but not for long since soon he’s goin
Frahorus
Montalbano ha trentacinque anni, è un uomo adulto, ma nella professione sconta ancora qualche ingenuità, non è così astuto, smaliziato come siamo abituati a conoscerlo. E c'è chi è pronto ad approfittarne... L'archeologia di Montalbano e le sue prime esperienze nel mondo del crimine narrate in tre lunghi racconti, dal titolo Sette lunedì, La prima indagine di Montalbano e Ritorno alle origini. Qui troveremo Montalbano all'inizio della sua carriera, che intreccia una relazione non con la ben nota ...more
Zeb Kantrowitz
Mar 12, 2014 Zeb Kantrowitz rated it really liked it
This is just a novella prequel but it does set the tone for the future for Salvo Montalbano. He gets transferred to Vigata and settles into his life in his beachfront house. He meets many of the men who he will be working with and where he will eat. It's a nice little (96 pages) story and we get to see Salvo doing his best to make the best out of a bad situation for a young lady who is involved in his first investigation.

Zeb Kantrowitz
Spiros
Mar 10, 2016 Spiros rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: curmudgeons
Shelves: italy, new
I was a bit dubious going into this collection: much of the charm of the Montalbano novels is in the build up, and the detours that Camilleri takes into Sicilian life and cuisine. As it turns out, Montalbano lends himself fairly well to the short story format. It was a little surprising to read, in "Montalbano's First Case", that Fazio is described as being a couple of years older than Salvu. He always seems to be more of Montalbano's protégée in the novels.
Lynn
Jun 05, 2014 Lynn rated it liked it
this short book appears to be a prequel and it cuts lickety-split to the chase. All of Montalbano's traits are here in full, not just developing as if he were truly starting out on his ultimate path of the crusty investigator. He even has a girlfriend who for some reason is content to let him call the shots.

The author is funny but I have a problem with how his female characters are written.
Jim Lewis
Aug 28, 2015 Jim Lewis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Prequel, primarily for Montalbano fans

This novelette was apparently written to accompany the RAI TV series, "Young Montalbano," and recounts Salvo's arrival in Vigata as Chief Inspector. Of the principal characters in the regular Montalbano series, only Fazio and Salvo's favorite trattoria appear, but that's enough to set the stage.

The mystery within the story starts gets off to a slow start -- one reason that I recommended it primarily for those familiar with the regular series -- but it ends
Pat
Apr 19, 2015 Pat rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novella was suggested as a good starting place for reading Andrea Camilleri's series. Learning of his mentor in Sicily's hill country, his relationship with Mery, and his longing to serve by the sea helped flesh out this character of Salvo Montalbano. The author captures the pace and tenor and tastes of small town life in Sicily as we learn Montalbano's style of policing and leading.
L.M. Quinn
Oct 27, 2013 L.M. Quinn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Montalbano’s First Case” gives us a small taste of the fascinating police detective Salvo Montalbano that we see in “The Young Montalbano” TV series. As one reviewer pointed out, there are a lot of loose threads hanging in this novel. Where do Livia, Mimi, and Catarella come into the story? Certainly, they are already an important part of Montalbano’s life from novel one of the series. Enough said about that.

What this prequel does give us, is the potential of the Montalbano character, his quirk
Nanosynergy
A collection of Montalbano short stories. Some are prequels. Some were too short to stand on their own or apparently not a fit for other Montalbano books. Some were whimsy. Thank you Andrea Camilleri for not publishing a .5 in this series and putting all this together into one book for your devoted fans.
Pamela
Nov 15, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have to admit that I would have found this novel to be rather silly if I was not acquainted with the workings of Italian law enforcement via another mystery series. I enjoyed the simplicity of the story and how it speaks volumes about the Italian culture in Vigata, which I suspect we may be exposed to in the future. Salvatore Montalbano is "a man of the sea", and has a strong connection to that place of the sea. His new living quarters are on the beach. He will be at his best when he is not re ...more
Simon Luckett
Aug 03, 2014 Simon Luckett rated it really liked it
Great writing style - comes through even in translation. Looking forward to reading more.
Bernard
Interesting main character and unusual credible sicilian atmospher.
Karen L
Feb 02, 2014 Karen L rated it really liked it
A good read but the Inspector Montalbano first three books in the series are even better.
Is it like the TV series 1 2 Jan 03, 2016 07:08AM
  • Ad occhi chiusi
  • I delitti di via Medina-Sidonia
  • Per cosa si uccide
  • Un bastimento carico di riso
  • La cura del gorilla
  • Almost Blue
  • Crimini
  • Una brutta faccenda
  • La briscola in cinque
  • La donna della domenica
  • I ragazzi del massacro (Duca Lamberti, #3)
  • Io uccido
  • The Goodbye Kiss
Andrea Camilleri (born september 6, 1925 in Porto Empedocle) is an Italian writer. He is considered one of the greatest Italian writers of both 20th and 21st centuries.

Originally from Porto Empedocle, Sicily, Camilleri began studies at the Faculty of Literature in 1944, without concluding them, meanwhile publishing poems and short stories. Around this time he joined the Italian Communist Party.

Fro
More about Andrea Camilleri...

Commissario Montalbano (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Shape of Water (Inspector Montalbano, #1)
  • The Terra-Cotta Dog (Inspector Montalbano, #2)
  • The Snack Thief (Inspector Montalbano, #3)
  • Voice of the Violin (Inspector Montalbano, #4)
  • Excursion to Tindari (Inspector Montalbano, #5)
  • The Smell of the Night (Inspector Montalbano, #6)
  • Rounding the Mark (Inspector Montalbano, #7)
  • The Patience of the Spider (Inspector Montalbano, #8)
  • The Paper Moon (Inspector Montalbano, #9)
  • August Heat (Inspector Montalbano, #10)