Start by marking “A Playdate With Death (A Mommy-Track Mystery #3)” as Want to Read:
A Playdate With Death (A Mommy-Track Mystery #3)

A Playdate With Death (A Mommy-Track Mystery #3)

Public defender turned stay-at-home mom Juliet Applebaum is back in top form, investigating the mysterious death of her personal trainer...in-between taming tantrums, planning playdates, and playing dress-up with her two rowdy kids.
Published July 1st 2003 by Berkley (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about A Playdate With Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Playdate With Death

Death of a Salesman by Arthur MillerHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingDeath of Innocence by Mamie Till-MobleyDeath in Venice by Thomas MannA Death-Struck Year by Makiia Lucier
Death Titles
75th out of 109 books — 6 voters
The Heritage by Jack MichonikMila 18 by Leon UrisNight by Elie WieselThe Chosen by Chaim PotokMy Name Is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
Jewish Fiction And Literature
98th out of 390 books — 45 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy H
Oct 18, 2015 Amy H rated it really liked it
I had this book sitting on my book shelf forever, and decided to give it a try.

This wasn't a bad story, but their was a couple things I didn't like about it either.

This story is about a stay-at-home mom named Juliet. She used to be a lawyer, but had a couple kids and decided she wanted to spend time with her kids then putting lots of hours in at the office. Well here comes my beef number 1. Why, if you are a stay at home mom would you ALWAYS pawn your children off with their working father so yo
Kaethe
Jul 16, 2014 Kaethe rated it really liked it
"The one with the personal trainer."

Once again, I'm amazed that at one time I thought that little sentence was enough. Not that I'd reread these for the plots. Actually, as strongly as I would recommend these to mystery-loving parents, I don't think I'm likely to go back to them. Now, Daughter's Keeper, Love and Other Impossible Pursuits, and Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities, and Occasional Moments of Grace, those I'd all go back and read for the rich pleasure of it.
Kelly Pollard
Jan 13, 2010 Kelly Pollard rated it really liked it
A fun diversion and easy read.
Mary
Feb 10, 2016 Mary rated it liked it
A well-written mystery that had enough twists and turns in it to keep me guessing. The characters are likable, the mysteries are believable. There are a few laughs here and there, but this series is grittier than most and its heroine, Juliet Applebaum is spunkier than most former lawyer turned stay-at-home mom. Each book I have read in this series has been better than the ones before it. Highly recommended.
3.75
Janice
Apr 22, 2011 Janice rated it really liked it
Ok, this book had an amusing cover that caught my eye in the new book section at the library, so I grabbed it. It's really what I'd call a fluff mystery, but unlike the other book I didn't like, I loved this one. Yes the main character is dealing with death (possible murder), but she is still great fun while she tries to solve the mystery while still dealing with her little kid and husband who try her patience. I figured out that there is just one in of the books in a series that deal with the s ...more
Ann
Apr 14, 2012 Ann added it
In the third book of the Mommy-Track series, former defense attorney and stay-at-home mom Juliet Applebaum arrives at her L.a. gym to find that her personal trainer and friend has been found dead of an apparently self-inflicted gun-shot wound. Juliet has her doubts that upbeat Bobby would have committed suicide, and when his fiancé also expresses doubts, Julist launches her own personal investigation into his death.

These books are both entertaining and interesting. Juliet Applebaum is such a fun
Vilo
Jun 26, 2010 Vilo rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I like Ayelet Waldman books. P.D. James said she purposefully removed family from her detective series, but Ayelet Waldman anchors her mysteries with a complicated, messy family life. The main character is constantly juggling her interests and complicated feelings for family and for the life she left as a public defender, and a modern marriage where partners are constantly negotiating their relationship and responsibilities while trying to connect. (Waldman is novelist Michael Chabon's wife and ...more
Laurie
Jul 29, 2011 Laurie added it
This is a pleasant way to pass the time while the children are napping, if you're not the type to rush around the house mopping and straightening up. The action is quick, and there's a lot of wry humor as a stay-at-home mom investigates the death of her personal trainer. The themes of adoption, drug addiction, and racism are all covered breezily and without slighting their complexity. The heroine, who like Waldman is a former public defender married to a successful writer, has engaging children ...more
Lesley
Apr 26, 2015 Lesley rated it liked it
amusing spunky stay at home mom finds out the truth about her personal trainer that died. fast read!
Helen
May 09, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it
Another good, intelligent cosy mystery, with insight into the Jewish community, and the life of a professional-turned-stay-at-home Mum.
Clare O'Beara
Oct 08, 2014 Clare O'Beara rated it really liked it
Shelves: america-crime
I've read a few of this series and they were unusual, well-focused and just right for someone with kids, who can't concentrate on too many plot twists and levels of detail for long.
The amateur sleuth has been a public defender but now she's a stay-home mother who is looking for preschools, attending play-dates and funerals and all kinds of things that women do instead of being at work. She still can't help investigating crimes. The kids are pretty good kids I have to say, and the good mother co
Kathy Acosta
Too many typographical errors.
Lisa
May 31, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it
I enjoy this VERY short series. Since I moved to a new library system, I am able to get all of Waldman's "Mommy Track Mysteries." The books are small so they really are like short stories. The main character offers her opinion freely about subjects from gun control to parenting. Usually she is dealing with a family issue alongside a murder case. In this book, she was trying to deal with her son's obsession with guns. Quick and readable, great escape.
Rachel
Oct 01, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it
Same as the rest of the series. Fun little mystery. The two things that continually bug me is that she is so cranky about being a stay at home mom (then DON'T be) and also how she leaves her kids with her husband constantly to "get a break." There is nothing on between the breaks, practically. Anyway, both of these things are such side notes to the story that they don't bother me that much, they are just annoying on the side. I like the series in general.
Jan 24, 2009 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This is a really fun series to read--a recovering attorney who quits her job to stay home with her young children finds herself bored and restless at home playing Legos, yet isn't prepared to return to her demanding job. She ends up smack in the middle of a number of murders (in this one, it's her personal trainer) and toys with the idea of becoming a bona fide private investigator.
Nancy
Sep 24, 2012 Nancy rated it liked it
I enjoyed it the same way I did "the big nap"- fluffy, funny, with a highly relatable heroine (CA SAHM of two little children). Must say, though, that I wouldn't enjoy these mysteries if I didn't have kids, and she really does write for such a niche audience(uber-educated liberal stay at home mothers?) that I'm surprised the series lasted/sold for 6(?) books.
Kelsea
Jan 17, 2016 Kelsea marked it as dnf-lost-interest
Read first book in series - lost interest.
Wendy
May 22, 2013 Wendy rated it liked it
This is the 3rd book in the Mommy-Track Mystery series. It was a quick read-I read it on the plane. I still like the premise of the public defender turned stay-at-home mom, but this one was kind of blah. I already got the next book though, so I hope she adds some twist to it.
Shana
Jan 01, 2008 Shana rated it liked it
Third installment of Ayelet Waldman's Mommy Track series. This book was a more solid venture than the first two. The story was tight, reminding me of a Sue Grafton story. This one set up Juliet in a partnership with Al, so leaves us with a set up for the next book.
April Lashbrook
Cute, fluffy mystery starring an ex-public defender turned stay at home mom. I liked Juliet Applebaum, except for the weight disparagement. She was definitely a believable ex-lawyer. Liked the AA, Jewish, and gun control tie-ins.
Jenn
Jan 03, 2011 Jenn rated it it was ok
I'm not really sure why I read another in this series. I remember not liking the first one I read. The mysteries are good however I detest Juliet. She's a whiner and seems to hate mommy duties as well as working full-time.
Amber La Mons
May 11, 2008 Amber La Mons rated it it was amazing
Even though I picked up this series in the middle I really enjoyed it. Being a mommy was definitely appealing and I can't believe some of the things that she did. I enjoyed this author and plan on reading the entire series.
Maria

6. The Cradle Robbers
7. Bye-Bye, Black Sheep
Ingrid
Aug 04, 2011 Ingrid added it
This is my new favorite mystery series. The characters are so interesting and real. They are fun, light mysteries that are perfect for a slow day.
Feb 28, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Curious to read another one of these books. Maybe I chose an esp. weak one. Maybe one must digest the whole series to appreciate?
StacyM
Feb 07, 2015 StacyM rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A sleuthing mom that bucks traditional mother and wife roles, solving murders and providing an occasional laugh.
Cindie Harp
Sep 10, 2009 Cindie Harp rated it really liked it
Once again, not deep or great literature per se, but I did not put it down til I was finished.
Jana
Aug 29, 2008 Jana rated it really liked it
This book was fun to read! No literary value but fun and quick!
Julie
Sep 24, 2009 Julie rated it liked it
These continue to be a fun read. Looking forward to the next one.
Bonnie McHenry
good book and love the witty one liners about motherhood.
  • Death in a Beach Chair (Susan Henshaw, #15)
  • Double Click
  • The Suicide Game
  • Steamed (Maid in LA, #1)
  • The Body in the Belfry (Faith Fairchild, #1)
  • The Puppet Maker's Bones  (Death's Order, #1)
  • Unmanned (A Chrissy McMullen Mystery, #4)
  • Catch a Rising Star (Drama Queen #1)
  • Beginner's Luck (Hallie Palmer, #1)
  • Help Wanted, Desperately
  • The Single Wife
  • Coach Carter
  • With You and Without You
  • The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murders (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Confessions of a Reluctant Recessionista
  • Mrs. Malory and the Festival Murders
  • Haunted Waters
  • The Way to Yesterday
Ayelet Waldman is the author of Love and Treasure, Red Hook Road and The New York Times bestseller Bad Mother: A Chronicle of Maternal Crimes, Minor Calamities and Occasional Moments of Grace. Her novel Love and Other Impossible Pursuits was made into a film starring Natalie Portman. Her personal essays and profiles of such public figures as Hillary Clinton have been published in a wide variety of ...more
More about Ayelet Waldman...

A Mommy-Track Mystery (7 books)
  • Nursery Crimes (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #1)
  • The Big Nap (A Mommy-Track Mystery #2)
  • Death Gets A Time-Out (A Mommy-Track Mystery #4)
  • Murder Plays House (A Mommy-Track Mystery #5)
  • The Cradle Robbers (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #6)
  • Bye-Bye, Black Sheep (A Mommy-Track Mystery, #7)