Start by marking “Full, Full, Full of Love” as Want to Read:
Full, Full, Full of Love

Full, Full, Full of Love

Warm, welcoming illustrations spice up this rhythmical ode to the joys of family and food -- full, full, full of pleasures for all.

For the youngest member of an exuberant extended family, Sunday dinner at Grannie’s can be full indeed -- full of hugs and kisses, full of tasty dishes, full to the brim with happy faces, and full, full, full of love. With a special focus on th
Published February 1st 2003 by Candlewick

To ask other readers questions about Full, Full, Full of Love, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Full, Full, Full of Love

Lisa Vegan
Feb 01, 2011 Lisa Vegan rated it liked it
Recommends it for: read aloud for the youngest child up through age 8; readers looking for warm family stories
I read this book for the Children's Books group’s Picture Book Club. It’s one of six books for February’s Picture Books Club, which has Black History Month as this month’s theme.

Aside from a tradition of close extended families in many families, and perhaps some of the food choices, this was a more generic book than I was expecting. This is a sweet story about a loving family, and race is incidental here. But that’s fine, and it was a refreshing choice.

It’s the story of a young hungry boy, wait
Manybooks
Aug 12, 2016 Manybooks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone, but especially grandparents
What a heartwarming and loving story! After reading it for the "African American History" month for the Picture Book Club in the Children's Literature group, I feel full of love myself (and like my GR friend Lisa, quite hungry and definitely ready for supper). I love the fact that while this book is about a joyful and loving contemporary African American family, this could have been a story about ANY loving family, about any loving grandmother; it is truly universal.

I especially like how the gra
Wilhelmina Jenkins
Aug 16, 2008 Wilhelmina Jenkins rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: preschoolers
A wonderful book filled with family food and family love. "Plenty, plenty for everybody!" Just looking a the cover of this book makes me smile.
Robbi
Aug 16, 2012 Robbi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a nice family tale and celebration of the traditional 'Sunday Dinner' through the eyes of young Jay Jay. It tells of his love and interactions with his family- more specifically his Grandmother- who he affectionately calls "Gran". The title alone quite accurately conveys the warm ambience of the story, which is truly the highlighting of family gatherings as well as an insight into the typical African-American household and traditions. The story revolves around a young boy called Jay ...more
Crystal Marcos
Feb 02, 2011 Crystal Marcos rated it liked it
One of this month's Children's Picture Book Club reads found here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/4...
My 19 mo old daughter and I read Full, Full, Full of Love. It is a great read out loud book. We read it while we were waiting to go to my mom’s house for dinner. By the end of the book, we were both ready to eat!

The illustrations were colorful and appealing. I enjoyed seeing the close knit family. It reminded me of my mother’s house and how we all gather there for meals and family time oft
Sofyia Ali
Sep 11, 2011 Sofyia Ali rated it liked it
This book highlights the importance of family gatherings and that a nice meal can bring families together. In addition children can gain an immense amount of knowledge from grandparents as Jay Jay and his grandmother observe the fish together. The author has used rhyme and repetition to add emphasis and to provide children with a better understanding of the sounds and movement fishes make. Furthermore the different foods eaten in an African culture are addressed, which promotes equal ...more
Shenaz Begum
Nov 19, 2013 Shenaz Begum rated it it was amazing
I read this book to the children and they really enjoyed the story. They started to talk about what they do with their grandmas when they go to visit. This book has a lot of repetition and the children enjoyed repeating the words with me. By the end of the book the children could guess where the repetition is. A great book to read at the end of the day and for children to get involved and build on their communication and language skills as well as listening skills.
ABC
Feb 16, 2011 ABC rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
This is a sweet book. A boy goes to his grannie's house, where he waits and then finally eats a big meal with relatives and friends.
Zainab Faridi
Oct 10, 2015 Zainab Faridi rated it really liked it
Full, Full, Full of Love is about a boy named Jay Jay who lives in an extended family with his grandmother. One Sunday night Jay Jay helps his grandma prepare dinner while his mother is out. The story hits home with all children who can relate to family ties. The plot revolves around Jay Jay, who is impatiently waiting for dinner time, and his grandmother, who does her best to distract his attention while they prepare the meal. The language is poetic and most lines use rhyming words to hold re ...more
Dolly
Jan 30, 2011 Dolly rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a wonderful tale about Sunday dinner at Grannie's house. The food cooking, the anticipation, and best of all, the hugs and cuddles with Grannie. The illustrations are warm and show the love and closeness between family members - so terrific! I love books that show grandchildren and grandparents together, something our girls have always known. After reading this story, we talked about the joys of having a big family dinner. While our household includes 5 (two parents, two children, and a ...more
Vanessa Henry
Mar 20, 2014 Vanessa Henry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story centered around family and African American culture and traditions. The story begins with a young boy being dropped off to his grandparents house on a Sunday by his mother. Whilst he is there he follows his grandmother around the house as she is making dinner for the family. Like many children Jay Jay is very impatient and continuously asks his grandmother if the dinner is ready yet. His grandmother tries to give him things to occupy him but he becomes bored and tired. His boredom builds ...more
Jessica Mitchell
Such a loving book. I full of family and tradition! I especially like it for students who live with or have a close bond with there grandparents. You can read about Sunday dinner and how the family comes together. One can explore the warm adventures filling of being at grandmas house nd also the wonderful thing to do in and outside the house. The book is also good for repetition and when you are teaching students about rhyming words. It's fun and easy and I would defiantly use this in my class ...more
Meg
Aug 03, 2015 Meg rated it really liked it
A super sweet book. Tells the story of a little boy visiting his grandmother's house and waiting for dinner (when the whole extended family arrives). His family is very affectionate, funny, and close.

Reading this aloud, I did find it a little confusing how at times there was strong rhythm/ rhyme, while at other times it was in regular speech cadence.

Also, like some other reviewers, I felt kind of bad for Jay Jay being so hungry (and got hungry myself as I read the story)! Give that boy a piece o
Mouse Denehy
Dec 10, 2013 Mouse Denehy rated it liked it
I come from a large Southern family and I can tell you that supper on Sunday is the biggest and most important event for our family. I spent a lot of time alone with my grandmother in the kitchen and I remember telling her I was soooo hungry and her trying to distract me by putting me to work. I miss the hugs most of all.

This book is very repetitive and fun to read out loud, the kids I babysit loved the onomatopoeia of the story.
Kelly
I really like that this is a book about a loving, caring family sharing a meal. And they happen to be Black. It's refreshing to find a book featuring people of color in which their race has no bearing on the story. They are able to be people being people. I wish there were more books like this.
Maeghan Edwards
This is a sweet book about an extended family who gathers together every Sunday night around Grannie's table for a big meal. I think lots of students can relate to this even if it is just around the holidays and even if there is a different array of food options.
Crystal
Is is a celebration of family, food, and being together. It's so fun because everyone has probably experienced having to wait for a meal when they rare ever to begin. This would pair well with Hi gry Johnny.
Urs
Aug 15, 2016 Urs rated it it was amazing

I love this book! I love Grands--they are God's special gifts to us. The illustrations are wonderful and great. A sweet, heart-warming story full of goodness.
Lacy
Mar 06, 2010 Lacy rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Picture book from The Read-Aloud Handbook. Little boy and family has Sunday dinner at Grannie's house. Realistic, modern illustrations.
MJ
Jun 07, 2016 MJ rated it really liked it
Recommended to MJ by: Angelica
Shelves: ryan-s-list
Warm family story about a dinner together and a grandmother and her grandson. Sweet! I also read this on July 17, 2015.
Bee
Aug 06, 2012 Bee rated it it was amazing
I love this book. I love the author too. I read this book to some children at school and they loved it as much as I did. It is one of my favourite storybooks along with So Much.
Kristin Becker
Jun 25, 2013 Kristin Becker rated it liked it
Shelves: madeline-reads
Sweet story of visiting Grannie's that includes a family meal, the comfort of a grannie's hug & plenty of love, love, love.
Carrie Gelson
Loved the celebration of food, family and affection as Sunday dinner with his family is seen through Jay Jay's eyes. Language ideal for preschool, early primary children. Happy, happy book.
Sarah Winters
Dec 13, 2012 Sarah Winters rated it liked it
A cute simple book that students could relate to. The pictures are very colorful and fun to look at. Recommend for first to third grade.
Jenny
Mar 28, 2011 Jenny rated it really liked it
Sweet simple story of a young girl and her loving family and extended family. Made me wish we lived close to my parents and we could have big family dinners with grandparents, aunts and uncles.
Charlivan
Charlivan rated it liked it
Sep 28, 2015
Marianne
Marianne rated it liked it
Nov 21, 2016
MrsMaryLibrary
MrsMaryLibrary rated it really liked it
Jan 24, 2014
W.
W. rated it it was amazing
Feb 14, 2016
Nimitha
Nimitha rated it it was amazing
Sep 27, 2016