Start by marking “In the Balance (I Bring the Fire, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
In the Balance (I Bring the Fire, #3.5)

In the Balance (I Bring the Fire #3.5)

Amy Lewis is sure she’ll never see Loki again, but when chaos is involved nothing is certain.

Called into ADUO’s offices to identify a magical artifact, Amy is taken on a journey beyond the universe itself. She comes face to face with the good and the bad of the forces of order and chaos, and has to chose for herself which of many imperfect paths to take.

The fate of the Nin
Published (first published September 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about In the Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In the Balance

Nicole
Nov 02, 2013 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-books
So, so, soooooooo good. Ms. Gockel started out as a fan fiction author and I think the highest compliment I could pay her would be that she makes me want to write fan fiction about this series. The action always moves along at a great pace in this story. I'd recommend this series to those that like fantasy/soft sci-fi or a good (anti) hero story, but grab the first one in the series, "I Bring the Fire Part I: Wolves."
Vanna
Jan 07, 2014 Vanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great novella! The alternate universe concept was intriguing; it is nice to see Amy gain more understanding of how her Loki really did care for her and figure out what she will do with her life in the aftermath of everything that's happened. This book felt like a delicious appetizer though; while enjoyable, it makes me want more! I just cannot wait till the 4th book! I will start reading the day it's released, which can't come too soon at all!!!
Rita
Sep 11, 2016 Rita rated it liked it
Parallel universe sort of story, like the author took a detour to explore alternative storylines for the main characters. Fun.
Iris
Oct 14, 2013 Iris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mythology
Sarah Wilson
Jan 17, 2014 Sarah Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
This was a nice, short read. If you enjoy the other books, you'll enjoy this one. I don't recommend starting with it, though. But you should never start with a book from the middle of a series in the first place.
☀Rachael☀
Jun 13, 2016 ☀Rachael☀ rated it really liked it
I Fitted this in and I'm glad I did! After the end of book 3 I wasn't sure that I was going to like it going forward but I was happily surprised! This had some very interesting twists!
Elle
Nov 02, 2016 Elle rated it it was ok
Even lighter fluff than the novels themselves. It was kind of interesting to see how events played out in other realities across the multiverse, but ultimately rather pointless, apart from Eisa’s appearance and abilities, but that’s nullified first thing in book 4, so again seems pointless in the end.
Amanda
Nov 28, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it
This was kind of bittersweet, but you learn a lot about Loki. It fits quite well with the series and I was happy that it wasn't just one of those really short stories. Wonderful story.
Ian
Sep 16, 2016 Ian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i know it's good when i can't put it down
Beitris_
Jul 27, 2016 Beitris_ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amy incontra due Loki:
- primo universo, Loki ha avuto la meglio, Amy e Bohdi sono morti. Amy quando incontra Loki, lo convince a distruggere Cera. Prima di andare, confessa ad Amy che non voleva e lui è destinato a distruggere tutto ciò che fosse bello e piange. (HEARTBREAKING MOMENT - Stavo piangendo)
- secondo universo, Amy è morta per colpa di Steve, ma ancora non è successo nulla. Qui incontra Loki, che in un primo momento finge di non conoscerla. "Conoscendosi", i due ritornano alla loro sol
Katherine
Oct 21, 2015 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A story exploring the multiverse idea as Amy finds herself in other dimensions when she unconsciously seeks out Loki. She ends up in various different universes where the circumstances of the world had been similar enough to create the same people, but with different consequences as to why and how Loki is alive. Her drive to find him gets revealed and the story takes on a bigger tone leaving Amy to have to make a decision about which verse she should end up settling in now that she has the ...more
Jan Niblock
Oct 24, 2014 Jan Niblock rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
I really enjoyed this story because it gives you more of insight into Amy's mind and her strength. Also, you see the different personalities of Loki and what makes him Loki. The Author says in the beginning that this novella is a story that needed to be written and I totally agree. It really shows more of Amy and Loki’s relationship and I believe showed how Amy copes with their relationship. I am very glad it was written because it certainly filled in some blanks in my head. One of the best ...more
Carly Odonoghue
Sep 05, 2015 Carly Odonoghue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In The Balance: An I Bring The Fire Novella by C Gockel is a beautiful short story set in different realities so the reader can read about what 'could of' been after the ending of Chaos.

I'm assuming that if your reading this you've also read the other books in order and have just finished Chaos.

This book shows more depth to Amy's and Loki's characters. I believe that Loki did care/love Amy and it shows in this novella. I wish this was a feature length book rather than a novella and I would've l
Earicka
Mar 12, 2014 Earicka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This series must be read in order. The first book is I Bring the Fire Part I : Wolves (A Loki Story). The second book is Monsters : I Bring the Fire Part II (A Loki Story). The third book is Chaos: I Bring the Fire Part III (A Loki Story). This is book 3.5 a companion novella. The fourth book is Fates : I Bring the Fire Part IV.

This book was amazing and a bit confuzzeling to say the least :) I really enjoyed that it was all about Amy and the odd things that happen to her. I don't want to say too
S. Gates
Mar 18, 2014 S. Gates rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Definitely heed the author's warnings on this one, because she is not exaggerating when she mentions that this story is much darker in tone than the previous three entries. Some may find the tonal shift off-putting, but I feel that this novella is well worth reading all the same. It adds a lot of depth to Amy's character and fleshes out some key components of her relationship with Loki, but it's also heartbreaking. I don't want to spoil anything, but I can't help but find myself hoping Amy can ...more
Tamara Hull
Apr 21, 2016 Tamara Hull rated it it was amazing
Realising the tale wasn't yet told led me to book 3.5 - In the Balance. I found this to be an excellent bridging story between the first three books and the subsequent books. The pace was a bit slower and the tone more introspective which was both a welcome reprieve from the high drama of book three and useful in exploring the mindset in which Amy finds herself; bereft at her loss and wondering where she should go from here.

This volume actually cemented for me the pure talent that is C. Gockel.
Arref Mak
Oct 15, 2015 Arref Mak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So glad the author gave us this

It's a longer loving look at the last of the choices in books one thru three. I found this particularly joyful and cruel in the right amounts.

Just like Loki.
Deborah Otway
Jun 19, 2016 Deborah Otway rated it it was ok
Sorry, but I just didn't enjoy this. I really liked the first three books and the different take on Loki but I found this book confusing and added nothing to the perception of Loki's character. I hope the next book is not a disappointment.
Nadine
Jun 30, 2014 Nadine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting 3.5 book to the series. Kind of predictable but a good predictable. I did feel bad for Amy having to leave the person she thought she loved. I hope in the fourth book she meets up with the real Loki again. Happy Reading :)
Kevin Sells
Jun 24, 2015 Kevin Sells rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice filler...

This one is a nice filler for the details that needed cleaning up. Same tight writing. Sometimes you don't see that in filler volumes. Explores the parallel universe theme quite nicely.
Misty  Bourlart
A heartbreaking adventure

By now, I feel like I've known Amy all my life. I am happy to have been able to join her on yet another adventure. My heart ached for her with each of her revelations and I can't wait to buy the next story to continue the journey. Excellent work.
Patricia
Aug 03, 2015 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Hang on!

In this perfect novella after Chaos, we follow Amy as she transports herself, Mr. Squeakers, and ??? between realities. Will She find Loki again? Will she ever get home? Keep reading!
Colin
Apr 22, 2016 Colin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another great story in the series!

This novella sort of "wraps up" some things that were left unresolved at the end of the first trilogy, I'm very much looking forward to the next novels!
May 07, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal, fantasy, 2014
I thought this was a fun side-note to the main story. The idea of the different universes was fun, interesting to see how things "could have been." For better or worse, let's just say. This was totally a teaser to get me excited for the story to continue!
Steven C Hawkins
Sep 10, 2015 Steven C Hawkins rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Am Enjoying This Series

I am three and half books into this series and I can't put it down. Gockel has a tremendous imagination.
Vered
Jun 02, 2016 Vered rated it it was amazing
After the somewhat tragic ending of Book 3, it was wonderful to have this book to reconnect with Loki and Amy while preparing to move on. Another great read. What can I say... I love this series!
Beth
Apr 28, 2014 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick short to tide everyone over after she kicked us in the gut ;) It was my favorite of all the series, so far.
Elaine Bidstrup
Elaine Bidstrup rated it really liked it
Jun 29, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it it was amazing
Jan 15, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2016
  • Swords and Salt - The Complete Series (Swords & Salt #1-3)
  • Foretell (Wanderlove, #2)
  • Something True (True Love, #3)
  • Concisus (Verita, #2)
  • Nautilus
  • The Star-Crossed Bride (Once Upon a Wedding, #2)
  • The Zona
  • Broken Bow (Star Trek: Enterprise #1)
  • Omega (Chess Team Adventure, #5)
  • Scary Godmother
C. Gockel got her start writing fanfiction, and she is not ashamed! Much. She received emails, messages and reviews from her fans telling her she should 'do this professionally'. She didn't; because she is a coward and life as a digital designer, copywriter and coder is more dependable. But in the end, her husband's nagging wore her down: "You could be the next '50 Shades of Gray' and I could ...more
More about C. Gockel...

I Bring the Fire (6 books)
  • Wolves (I Bring the Fire, #1)
  • Monsters (I Bring the Fire, #2)
  • Chaos (I Bring the Fire, #3)
  • Fates (I Bring the Fire, #4)
  • Warriors (I Bring the Fire, #5)
  • Ragnarok (I Bring the Fire, #6)

“There is no future, Loki,” said Frigga. “Only possibilities that become more and more likely probabilities, and probabilities that become realities.” The queen smiled down at him. “Although some people say that with each choice we make a new thread is spun, and from all our choices a new universe is born. Our fate is not one single strand of thread, but an infinite spider web.” 4 likes
“It would be an appropriate time to cry, but what comes out of her mouth is a joke. “I think Schrödinger’s cat just bit me on the butt.” 4 likes