Robin's Country

Robin's Country

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  110 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Dummy, a mute servant boy, flees his cruel master, stumbles upon Robin Hood's secret hideaway, proceeds to unravel the mysteries of his own origins, and finds the opportunity to prove his bravery and worth. By the author of Wise Child.
Published December 23rd 1997 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

Scarlet by A.C. GaughenThe Outlaws of Sherwood by Robin McKinleyHood by Stephen R. LawheadIvanhoe by Walter ScottThe Merry Adventures of Robin Hood by Howard Pyle
Fictional Robin Hood
45th out of 80 books — 187 voters
The Legend of Nightfall by Mickey Zucker ReichertZorro by Isabel AllendeFriend of the Devil by Brendan McNallyTrue History of the Kelly Gang by Peter CareyPandora Driver by John Picha
Outlaw Heroes
21st out of 23 books — 8 voters

More lists with this book...

Christi
This was my comfort book when I was little. I always read it when I was feeling scared or unhappy. I'm not really so sure what it was that made me feel better or happier, whether it was the coming of age and triumph of the underdog, whether it was descriptions of food, or whether it was just incredibly imaginative and like a fantasy to me. I really should reread it now that I'm older and see if it's still as good as I remembered it being.
Claire
I have loved this book since I first read it as a kid. One of my favorite tales of Robin Hood. I just read it again and I have to say that it was as good as I remembered, if a little too short.
Lia
This is an unexpected story of a boy who heals from his terror to speak.
Mama'sBoy
Sep 16, 2008 Mama'sBoy rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: PEOPLE WHO LOVE FICTION AND ROBIN HOOD
i loved it I WISH THERE WAS A 1000000 MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Amy
I liked this book better than I thought I would. Started reading a few pages as I was shelving it and was so intrigued that I wanted to know what was going to happen next. The main character, calling himself Dummy, was a very interesting character, despite not having many memories of his past.

Because of the style of writing, I was surprised to see that the book was written in 1995, as it reads like a classic...Not that I have read many classics!

Despite my 4 stars, I did have a few problems with...more
Rhapsody
May 11, 2009 Rhapsody rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Monica Furlong readers
Shelves: childrens
Devin Armbruster
Honestly I've read this book a few time and I never dislike it. Every time I read it I fall in love about the main character, Dummy. His relationship with the whole crew of outlaws warms my heart and the ending is always the sweetest. If someone's ever in need of just a cute and sweet book that has it's share of grief and sadness but gets better, this is it. I wish I could find more books like it.
Carmen
Jun 07, 2013 Carmen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I'm pretty picky about Robin Hood Stories but this book is one of my all time favorites. A young mute boy literally falls into a den of thieves where he has to face some tough decision about life and people. The book had great drama and a good lesson in how people aren't always what they seem, no one's strictly good or strictly evil, and everyone has flaws. It had great humor while still being meaningful. My favorite aspect of this book is that while it's obviously set up for kids, that doesn't...more
I am so enjoying zipping through my collection of YA titles I acquired while teaching middle schoolers. The books are relatively short (150-200 pages)and easy reading. Just right for a quick "escape".
Helen
It's been a while since I've read this book. Seems like I didnt like it when I read it. Can't remember what the book was about though. Guess it didn't make an impression on me.
Kellyann
Great plot, but the story-telling, if you can call it that, was all-tell, no-show. Painful coming from the author of one of my favorite YA novels (Wise Child).
Thespian999
I think that it would have been better if she had developed her characters more.
Jenna
Jun 15, 2008 Jenna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone!
Recommended to Jenna by: my mommy! :)
my favorite version of robin hood, from the POV of the youngest of his band...
Kenyan
i would read this book again.
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Josue Estrella
Josue Estrella marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Tegan Ruether
Tegan Ruether marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2014
Megan Nash
Megan Nash marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
Lindenizen
Lindenizen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Shannon
Shannon marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Aitzko
Aitzko marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Apr 18, 2014
Marieke
Marieke marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Obituary from The Guardian, Friday January 17 2003
by Michael De-la-Noy

Monica Furlong, who has died of cancer aged 72, would have achieved distinction through her writings alone. But she was always on the lookout for good causes to espouse, and once she had thrown in her lot with the Movement for the Ordination of Women, and with the aims of secular feminism in general, she became to many women - a...more
More about Monica Furlong...
Juniper (Doran, #2) Wise Child (Doran, #1) Colman (Doran, #3) Zen Effects: The Life of Alan Watts Visions and Longings: Medieval Women Mystics