Start by marking “Robin's Country” as Want to Read:
Robin's Country

Robin's Country

Dummy, a mute servant boy, flees his cruel master, stumbles upon Robin Hood's secret hideaway, proceeds to unravel the mysteries of his own origins, and finds the opportunity to prove his bravery and worth. By the author of Wise Child.
Published December 23rd 1997 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published March 21st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Robin's Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Robin's Country

Christi
Oct 18, 2011 Christi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This was my comfort book when I was little. I always read it when I was feeling scared or unhappy. I'm not really so sure what it was that made me feel better or happier, whether it was the coming of age and triumph of the underdog, whether it was descriptions of food, or whether it was just incredibly imaginative and like a fantasy to me. I really should reread it now that I'm older and see if it's still as good as I remembered it being.
Lanie
One of the worst robin hood books I have ever read all the way through. And I've read a lot! Worse than "hawksmaid" and "the baron" put together! I dont think I would have even bothered finishing it if I weren't trying to get through my entire stack of books I need to read by next Friday. (Its a big stack and I think I just wasted and afternoon)

Warning, rant will contain spoilers, so if you do want to read it and want to be "surprised" don't read this.

OK! So!

"Robin's Country" is a children's s
R. G. Nairam
I so enjoy this little book. Very sweet atypical retelling, with typical elements that tie it strongly to the source material.

Feb 16, 2011 review: http://nairamofsherwood.blogspot.com/...
Claire
Dec 15, 2012 Claire rated it it was amazing
I have loved this book since I first read it as a kid. One of my favorite tales of Robin Hood. I just read it again and I have to say that it was as good as I remembered, if a little too short.
Mama'sBoy
Sep 16, 2008 Mama'sBoy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: PEOPLE WHO LOVE FICTION AND ROBIN HOOD
i loved it I WISH THERE WAS A 1000000 MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lia
Jul 10, 2008 Lia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an unexpected story of a boy who heals from his terror to speak.
Rhapsody
May 11, 2009 Rhapsody rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Monica Furlong readers
Shelves: childrens
Amy
Mar 28, 2011 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-fiction, 2011
I liked this book better than I thought I would. Started reading a few pages as I was shelving it and was so intrigued that I wanted to know what was going to happen next. The main character, calling himself Dummy, was a very interesting character, despite not having many memories of his past.

Because of the style of writing, I was surprised to see that the book was written in 1995, as it reads like a classic...Not that I have read many classics!

Despite my 4 stars, I did have a few problems with
Nancy
Apr 15, 2015 Nancy rated it really liked it
A mute orphan boy known first as “Dummy” escapes the abusive, slave-like conditions of his master’s farm, winding up in Sherwood Forest. Soon he wins over Robin Hood, Friar Tuck, Little John, Will Stutley and the rest of the “Merry Men.” Marian is the only holdout, believing the boy is a spy sent by tyrannical Prince John; her suspicion easing when the boy saves Robin from a murder attempt. While the boy (whom Robin calls Bird) develops a sense of loyalty and fellowship with the Merry Men, he at ...more
CM
Oct 31, 2015 CM rated it it was amazing
I'm pretty picky about Robin Hood Stories but this book is one of my all time favorites. A young mute boy literally falls into a den of thieves where he has to face some tough decision about life and people. The book had great drama and a good lesson in how people aren't always what they seem, no one's strictly good or strictly evil, and everyone has flaws. It had great humor while still being meaningful. My favorite aspect of this book is that while it's obviously set up for kids, that doesn't ...more
Emmala
Mar 27, 2016 Emmala rated it liked it
3.5
This is a good children's book with a lot of touching moments. I loved Monica Furlong as a child, and when I found this book I could not pass it up.
Young Bird ("Dummy") escapes the cruelty of an abusive master and finds himself in the woods where outlaws are rumored to roam. He stumbles upon Robin and his band of thieves. At first everyone is suspicious he's a spy, but Bird soon proves himself to be an invaluable and loyal friend to the band of men and one woman, Marian. As the story unfolds
Devin Armbruster
Jan 21, 2014 Devin Armbruster rated it it was amazing
Honestly I've read this book a few time and I never dislike it. Every time I read it I fall in love about the main character, Dummy. His relationship with the whole crew of outlaws warms my heart and the ending is always the sweetest. If someone's ever in need of just a cute and sweet book that has it's share of grief and sadness but gets better, this is it. I wish I could find more books like it.
Jennifer Heise
Jun 26, 2013 Jennifer Heise rated it it was ok
I give this only an OK because I expected do much more from Monica Furlong. It just lacks the lyrical spell of Juniper, Wise Child and Coleman. Admittedly it is better than the Rowan Hood books but that is not saying much. The version of Robin Hood related here is straight from the early 20th century kids books, and the story is like a Robin Hood daydream with a small side of personal suffering. The landscapes were nice though.
Wyatt Stimmell
Aug 30, 2016 Wyatt Stimmell rated it it was amazing
Shelves: new
The reading level is a 6.5 and the genre is action.
I rate this book 5 stars because it is a very interesting book that really pulls you in.

Robins country is a book a bout a young boy that cant speak and is abused by his master. He decided to run away and upon doing so he stumbled upon robin hood's hide out. they took thin in wondering if he is a spy or just a normal boy. Later on they trust him and they treat him like one of their own.

Mar 26, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am so enjoying zipping through my collection of YA titles I acquired while teaching middle schoolers. The books are relatively short (150-200 pages)and easy reading. Just right for a quick "escape".
LuAnn
Sep 01, 2015 LuAnn rated it it was amazing
A short but well-done use of elements of the Robin Hood legend seen through the eyes of a mute orphan who stumbles into Robin's Domain. I liked the protagonists thoughtfulness, the way the author showed Robin's and his men's--and woman's--faith in God and the personalities of the main characters.
Susan Beecher
Nov 06, 2016 Susan Beecher rated it liked it
I enjoyed this (I would guess) mid to upper elementary school age historical novel about a young boy who happens upon Robin Hood's group while running away from a cruel master. Nice combination of history, action and interesting characters.
Kathryn
Sep 21, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
got this one as a "mystery book" from the used bookstore. Might be hard to write a less creative Robin Hood.
Aven
Jul 26, 2010 Aven rated it it was ok
It's been a while since I've read this book. Seems like I didnt like it when I read it. Can't remember what the book was about though. Guess it didn't make an impression on me.
Kellyann
Jan 05, 2009 Kellyann rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
Great plot, but the story-telling, if you can call it that, was all-tell, no-show. Painful coming from the author of one of my favorite YA novels (Wise Child).
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Dec 10, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Feb 07, 2017
Laura Paulsen
Laura Paulsen rated it really liked it
Feb 06, 2011
Amit Dhakal
Amit Dhakal rated it really liked it
Dec 02, 2016
Meryl
Meryl rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2012
Bethany Rae
Bethany Rae rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2011
Laura rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2013
Clara
Clara rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
M. Lee Bailey Deall
M. Lee Bailey Deall rated it it was amazing
Sep 17, 2011
Jacquelynn Arnold
Jacquelynn Arnold rated it really liked it
Sep 08, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Robin and the King (Sherwood, #2)
  • The Arrow of Sherwood
  • In a Dark Wood
  • The Two Collars (Bracken Trilogy, #3)
  • Alphabet of Dreams
  • Escape with the Dream Maker (Seven Sleepers, #9)
  • The Legend of Jimmy Spoon
  • The Children's Book of Heroes
  • Sherwood: Original Stories from the World of Robin Hood
  • Drummer Boy at Bull Run (Bonnets and Bugles, #1)
  • Walrus and the Carpenter, The
  • Robin Hood (Stepping Stones)
  • Robin Hood
  • The Child's Story Bible
  • Hodd
  • Parzival: The Quest of the Grail Knight
  • The Road to Camlann. The Death of King Arthur
  • Titanic Crossing
Obituary from The Guardian, Friday January 17 2003
by Michael De-la-Noy

Monica Furlong, who has died of cancer aged 72, would have achieved distinction through her writings alone. But she was always on the lookout for good causes to espouse, and once she had thrown in her lot with the Movement for the Ordination of Women, and with the aims of secular feminism in general, she became to many women - a
More about Monica Furlong...