Start by marking “Field of Fire” as Want to Read:
Field of Fire

Field of Fire (Alex Duarte #1)

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Since returning from Bosnia, ATF (Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) agent Alex Duarte has been re-acclimating to life in South Florida. But when a gunrunner's car explodes, Duarte's life kicks into overdrive in a high-profile hunt for a suspected serial bomber.
Published February 5th 2008 by Berkley (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Field of Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Field of Fire

Jane Davis
I first listened to the Audio book while driving. Early in the book the author tells you what's coming when he gives the philosophy followed by Alberto Salez the escapee ATF agent Alex Duarte is chasing. The best way to solve any problem is to kill it, and he does in various and sundry ways with which the author seems very familiar.

There is a sort-of black humor in this book stemming mostly from Salez's inability to dispose of a body of a women he killed to get her car. He is also chased by a hi
Jen
Alex Duarte is an ATF agent and former member of the Army. After arresting and then losing Alberto Salez on a gunrunning charge, he vows to set things straight. But setting things straight winds Duarte square in the middle of a serial bombing/murder investigation.

I found the writing in this book a bit on the flat side. There was really no humor interspersed or great use of literary devices; it was just pretty "everyday."

Alex Duarte struck me as the "too good to be true" type of character, somet
Linda
Alex Duarte is an ATF agent with a lot of explosives expertise learned from his tour in Bosnia in the army. He's called in to investigate a bombing, and eventually realizes that he can't trust anyone involved with the case.
I was interested enough in the story to keep reading, but I don't think I'll rush out for another book by this author. The characterization bordered on the cartoonish, especially for the principal villain and also for the comic-book-worthy combat skills of the protagonist. You
LJ
FIELD OF FIRE (Thriller-Alex Duarte-US-Cont) – DNF
Born, James O. – 1st in series
Berkeley Prime Crime, 2007, US Paperback- ISBN: 9780425221839

First Sentence: The looked over the dash of the new Ford Taurus, already littered with PowerBar wrappers, thanks to his partner.

Recently returned from Bosnia, Alex Duarte is an ATF agent in South Florida. Partnered with attorney Caren Larson, they are on the trail of a serial bomber. But they are not the only ones on the hunt.

If you like noir, this may be f
Robert
Born introduces an ATF character that is called in to investigate a series of bombings said to be labor union related. However after seeing the evidence the suspicions build. Teamed with a female character from the DOJ the reader is also treated to a little love interest tossed in. Don't worry because this does not distract from the shootings, stabbings and explosions as the body count mounts up. I also enjoyed the bad guys as they quite humorously attempted to kill people like they saw it in th ...more
Tobey
***Bias Review coming up***

This is my favorite of Jim's books although I enjoy all of his funny cop novels. This review might be bias because Jim is a friend of mine and I am beholden to a good review!!! Just kidding I really do enjoy his books and you should read them.

Kristin
Loved Alex the main character, but this book was too corny in some areas. I would read the next book because I liked the main character.
Teri
very good, look for his books
Michael Grogan
Michael Grogan marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2014
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
James Rector
James Rector marked it as to-read
May 21, 2014
CSEM
CSEM marked it as to-read
May 03, 2014
Rebecca
Rebecca marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2013
Robert
Robert added it
Aug 12, 2013
KH
KH marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
James O. Born is a Special Agent with the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE). He has been involved in investigations in such areas as organized crime, violent crimes, economic crimes, drug cartels, and public corruption. It has now been fourteen years since Born started writing, and ironically, he has the same editor as W E B Griffin and Tom Clancy - the very authors he spent his time re ...more
More about James O. Born...
Walking Money (Bill Tasker, #1) Escape Clause (Bill Tasker, #3) Burn Zone (Alex Duarte, #2) Shock Wave (Bill Tasker, #2) Scent of Murder