Start by marking “Until It's Over” as Want to Read:
Until It's Over

Until It's Over

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  1,682 ratings  ·  152 reviews
Young and athletic, London cycle courier Astrid Bell is bad luck - for other people. First Astrid's neighbour Peggy Farrell accidentally knocks her off her bike - and not long after is found bludgeoned to death in an alley. Then a few days later, Astrid is asked to pick up a package from a wealthy woman called Ingrid de Soto, only to find the client murdered in the hall of ...more
Unknown Binding
Published (first published January 1st 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Until It's Over, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Until It's Over

Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher StoweThe Ugly Duckling by Jerry PinkneyUlysses by James JoyceUglies by Scott WesterfeldUnearthly by Cynthia Hand
Good Books that Begin with U
135th out of 171 books — 27 voters
Cinder by Marissa MeyerKilling Time by Cindy GerardThe Hangman's Daughter by Oliver PötzschThen and Always by Dani AtkinsUntil It's Over by Nicci French
Average Books
3rd out of 59 books — 7 voters

More lists with this book...

Christie
I can honestly say I’ve been a Nicci French (husband and wife team, Sean French and Nicci Gerrard) for over a decade, but I may have to quit them after reading Until It’s Over.

Astrid Bell is in her early 20s and works as a bike messenger in London. She lives in a huge house with university pals Pippa and her former boyfriend (and owner of the house) Miles. They share the space with Mick, Dario, Davy and Owen. They’re a family, in a sense.

Until It’s Over opens with an accident. Astrid is riding h
Susan
I liked this story, but didn't particularly care about the characters - and there were many of them. The second half of the book threw me out and as a writer myself, I felt it was a bit of a cheat to retell the same story from the murderer's viewpoint. I think I would've included the murderer's viewpoint at the same time as the original storyline, leaving the reader in suspense as to who the murderer is until the end.

I found the ending disappointing because the epilogue jumps too far ahead witho
Donna
Nicci French always does a good psychological thriller but this one didn't seem as tense as previous ones I have read. I wasn't overly bothered about the characters, it seemed like there were a couple too many to actually get to know them.

The book is essentially in tow halves. The first half is the story of Astrid, a bike courier who is linked to three murders, although she didn't commit them she just kept finding the bodies! The second half is a retelling of the same story but through the eyes
Nicca French are one of those authors what i call my comfortable reads as i have now read 5 of thier books and know i like both the style of writing and the general story lines of the books.

With this one it was as always full of twists and turns and i loved that.

It only let itself down at the end where i felt the ending was a tad incomplete.I would have enjoyed a fuller ending with a small story as to what happend to the rest of the housemates.

Otherwise a great read and would definately read m
Keri

3 STARS - I LIKED IT
AUDIOBOOK

This is the first book by this author that I've read and I enjoyed it. A lot of reviewers for this book state this isn't the best Nicci French book so I am encouraged because I enjoyed this one. It's of course a murder mystery set in London and there is a house full of people who we figure are the most likely to have done the crimes. I couldn't figure out exactly who might have done it until it was revealed to us... at about 2/3 into the book the POV changes from Ast
Thom Swennes
According to Merriam-Webster’s Dictionary, jinx is someone or something that causes bad luck; also: a state or period of bad luck caused by a jinx. British dictionaries call it an Americanism and basically hope that it is a condition that affects others. The Thesaurus lists as synonyms: hex, charm, enchantment, condemn, hoodoo, nemesis, bewitch, plague spell, voodoo, black magic, evil eye and kiss of death. I call it Astrid Bell. The writing tandem of Nicci Gerrard and Sean French has done it ag ...more
Meagan Thompson
I found this book by sheer luck on discount at BAM and am so glad that I did. Very rarely does a written story have so many characters that you really get to KNOW during the course of a novel. You don't just know your protagonist or antagonist, every character is crucial. The characters are pieced together with many layers thus making them more real, more believable on a large scale.
The story. I absolutely tore through this book like my life depended on it. The questions that arose were not alw
comfort
I really like the narrator of this story,it added to the enjoyment for me.

A bunch of "friends" sharing a house seemingly all is well until our heroine seems to be attracting dead people (not ghosts). Several people she either knows or is a few degrees separated from are dying violently and there are similarities.

There are lots of dynamics happening between all the house-mates and life in the shared house is not as idyllic as it first appears, but then they are all (mostly) growing older and rea
Hermien
This book did not come up to scratch. The first part is told by Astrid describing how she finds three dead women. The second part consists of the same events, but told by the killer. Then in the last 10 pages Astrid entraps the killer, he gets arrested and Astrid lives happily ever after with a brand new lover. No explanation as to how or why Astrid and the police became suspicious of the real killer in the first place when they already had somebody in custody with evidence galore. I was hoverin ...more
Anna
I've read all their books & love them. These first got me into murder mysteries /crime, as they're not gory, more like pyschological thrillers.

Very clever idea about telling the story from 2 points of view & extremely interesting to observe the same scene from the 2 different angles.

I was disappointed at the last few pages, it didn't seem quite finished.

Enjoyed reading an excerpt from the next book at the end & the interview with the authors.
Sharon
This book was a bit of a mess for me and I can't be bothered to read anymore after getting almost half way through and not caring one iota for any of the characters. Actually it's more than didn't care about them, I actually disliked them all. This is the 3rd Nicci French book I have read - the other two were not bad but not great either - as I have way too many books waiting for a space on my bookshelves, I think now is the perfect time to make some room for more deserving books and return my l ...more
Not read Nicci French before but I am rather glad I did read this. I liked that it was based in London, made it feel instantly familar for me ... and it was also a situation (a flatshare of assorted dysfunctional people) that I could relate to. Despite what some of the other reviewers say, I kind of liked how it swapped viewpoint half-way through - I have to admit I was just about to get bored with the main character inadvertently being at the scene of murders whilst being completely innocent, a ...more
Lisa (scarlet21)
Astrid Bell, bicycle courier and one of six tenants in her friend's house is as horrified as anyone when a neighbour's body is discovered, especially as that same day Astrid had had an accident with the neighbour's car door. What a coincidence. When, a few days later, Astrid arrives at a house to collect a parcel and finds the woman owner dead, it's still just a nasty coincidence, right? Or is Astrid the link in the two murders?
As if this isn't enough, Miles, the owner of the house Astrid lives
Affodil
Een typische Nicci French, waarbij andermaal niet in eerste instantie de moorden voor de spanning zorgen, maar de interactie tussen een aantal mensen die een deel van hun leven samen doorbrengen. De kleine en grote irritaties, de gevoelens van vriendschap en verliefdheid, de seksuele spanning en later het wantrouwen en de angst worden verweven tot een ragfijn spinnenweb, waar niet alleen de personages maar ook de lezer in verstrikt geraken.

Als er dan een arrestatie verricht wordt, merkt de leze
Michael
Jun 26, 2009 Michael rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Would not recommend.
Recommended to Michael by: Saw at library shelf and recognized the author's name.
It seemed like I was reading about a situation that would be the next TV series from the producers of Desperate Housewives. This novel comes from the husband and wife writing team of Nicci Gerrard and Sean French.

Astrid Bell is a bike messenger in London. Although she bikes throughout the streets of London it's when she's almost home that a neighbor coming home from shopping opens her car door without looking and causes Astrid to crash into the door, injuring Astrid and her bike.

The woman offers
Laurel Osterkamp
I never would have picked this book if it wasn't for road construction. You see, due to closed freeway exits my daily commute to and from work has become much more complicated, and to make it more pleasant I decided to get some audio books from the library, and listen to them in my car. I chose Until It's Over because it sounded interesting, although I'm not usually into mysteries. But the selection of audio books at the library isn't that great, and I thought, "why not?"

Well, I loved 90% of it.
Geoff Hancock
It's an unusual book in that it's in two halves. The first half narrated by the victim, and the second by the perpetrator. The story takes place in a house shared by a mixed bag of people. Astrid is a cycle courier who appears to coincidentally be connected to three murders.
After a slow start, while the household scene is set, it soon picks up a pace. The second half as told by the serial murderer, as he closes in for the final act is pretty un-put-downable.
Highly recommended
Lolly LKH
I discovered Nicci French (husband and wife team) when I lived in England. I enjoy most of their novels and while I liked reading about a motley group of housemates, I can say I had a hard time really getting into the main character, Astrid. Astrid is a dispatch rider on the streets of London sharing living quarters with six dysfunctional friends. One day while riding her bicycle home she is injured by a neighbor who is later found dead. Soon bodies are dropping around her and the only link the ...more
Marianne
Je pense que dans le genre, on pouvait difficilement faire mieux. Une intrigue tournée autour de la collocation de plusieurs personnes dans la même maison, ce n'est pas nouveau - surtout que, lorsque j'ai commencé ce livre, je venais tout juste de terminer "the Likeness", qui aborde tout à fait le même sujet- toutefois, ici c'est différent. Dès le départ, on sens que quelque chose ne fonctionne pas, mais on ne peut pas donner un bon mobile à personne. Le tueur ? On a aucune idée de qui cela pour ...more
Brigitte
Astrid Bell is een jonge fietskoerier in Londen die in een soort studentikoze commune woont. Haar medebewoners zijn zeer uiteenlopende jonge mensen en de sfeer in huis is ondanks de komst van Leah, de überbitcherige nieuwe vriendin van Miles de (perfecte)huisbaas, over het algemeen vreselijk gezellig en gemoedelijk. Totdat er 3 vrouwen vermoord worden, de overeenkomst tussen de 3 moorden is dat Astrid daarbij steeds aanwezig was.
Deel 1 is de visie van Astrid, deel 2 de visie van de moordenaar.
W
Fran
Kate
Nicci French's novels are unusual in that they are not only extremely clever, psychologically shrewd thrillers, but they are also strong, atmospheric stories about contemporary women's lives. This book is split into two parts: the first, slightly longer part follows a young cycle courier named Astrid and her six housemates as they find themselves caught up in a series of murders. The second part of the book follows the same basic storyline from the point of view of the killer, explaining how and ...more
Cmorice
Jusqu'au jour où elle a été renversée en vélo par une de ses voisines, Astrid menait une vie sans histoire entre son job de coursière et la grande maison partagée avec des amis. Mais lorsque le lendemain de l'accident, sa voisine est retrouvée battue à mort, rien ne va plus. Puis c'est une cliente chez qui elle devait prendre un pli qui gît sans vie, sauvagement assassinée. Macabre coïncidence ? La police n'y croit guère...

La vie d'Astrid et de ses colocataires vire au cauchemar lorsque le tueur
Brewer Community School
This book is about a girl who is named Astrid and a murderer. It has two perspectives and it switches halfway and for the epilogue. It is about Astrid who finds overall two dead bodies and was the last person to see another victim alive. She tries to help the police find the murderer but she has no idea that it is someone close to her. But also throughout this book is some romance and heartbreak, which makes it more dramatic. I am glad that is has different gender point of views because it makes ...more
Anne
I liked the second part of this book better than the first part. The first part seemed like just another mystery, but part 2 made you see that it wasn't and made me want to read the first part again. It was different than other books I have read (what I have been looking for!) 2 stars for Part 1, 4 stars for Part 2, average rating: 3 stars.
A.J. Waines
I've read this book before, but wanted to re-read for inspiration for my latest book. Until it's Over is about a group of young people who share a house in London and the trail of mishaps, then murders that seem to follow one of them, Astrid, a bike-courier, around. The second half (written from the perspective of the perpetrator) is better than the first in my view - a lot more interesting internal dialogue and imagery - as the mental disturbances of 'the baddie' are made more evident. Always h ...more
Lisa Barnett
Very similar to Tana French's The Likeness. A group of 20-somethings, sharing a house. Lots of undercurrents in the various relationships. Something nefarious happens...lots of suspects. Good read. Both of them.
Taylor
Nicely written; concise language that lacks the daunting superfluous language that can accompany a good mystery novel. The novel is set in London, and has a distinctly dreary vibe throughout.
Jasmine
Not my favourite Nicci French novel.
The book is written in two parts. It's really quite clever, as is the storyline. However there is just something about it that doesn't click with me. I was expecting a bit more of a climax, something a bit darker. I didn't identify with the characters very much in this novel which is probably why I didn't enjoy it as much.

Three women are murdered, and the only link appears to be our main character Astrid who is a bike delivery person in London.
At times she see
Mandy
This was a fairly quick read, and fast-paced. I found I wanted to know what was going to happen, and so I did want to keep reading.
I think this lacked some of the polish of later novels by these two authors, and I don't think that the second part of the book added much to the story.
Astrid was a likeable character, but I did find it hard to like any of the others. I don't know if this was a deliberate ploy to keep me guessing as to who the killer was, but I thought it didn't need to be done. It's
  • Close-up
  • The Chameleon's Shadow
  • Bella Italia
  • Unspoken
  • Ice Trap
Note: (Nicci Gerrard and Sean French also write separately.)

Nicci Gerrard was born in June 1958 in Worcestershire. After graduating with a first class honours degree in English Literature from Oxford University, she began her first job, working with emotionally disturbed children in Sheffield. In that same year she married journalist Colin Hughes.

In the early eighties she taught English Literature
More about Nicci French...
Blue Monday (Frieda Klein, #1) Killing Me Softly Tuesday's Gone (Frieda Klein, #2) Beneath the Skin Secret Smile