Start by marking “Seizure” as Want to Read:

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  3,405 ratings  ·  130 reviews
The New York Times bestseller is now in paperback. Power, religion, and bioscience collide in the new novel from the master of the medical thriller. ...more
Published October 5th 2004 by Berkley (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Seizure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seizure

Chromosome 6 by Robin CookComa by Robin CookAcceptable Risk by Robin CookAbduction by Robin CookToxin by Robin Cook
Best of Robin Cook
14th out of 18 books — 40 voters
Brave New World by Aldous HuxleyNever Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroThe Third Twin by Ken FollettThe Boys from Brazil by Ira LevinPoseidon’s Children by Michael  West
Clones etc.
20th out of 46 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

I give up.

A shame to be 2/3 deep and realize you cannot continue.

I feel betrayed by the inconsistency if this author! Aside from the medical jargon that is a necessary evil, the pacing and character development I swear was written as the story went along. This novel was about a lot of absolutely nothing. I can't say enough how disappointing that is for a Cookbook.

You never know which will be awesome and which will be aw-shit.
Great Cook story: gripping suspense, humor, & ethics issues...

We've read all of Cook's medical "thrillers" (even his Egyptian mystery, the "Sphinx"), and would argue that some are a lot better than others. But along comes "Seizure", just possibly his best ever! A current affairs-type premise finds two intellectual doctors trying to save from impending financial ruin their stem-cell research company with a promising technology to grow disease-curing cells. They approach a US Senator to help
Dec 08, 2008 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love meical mysteries and tecnological thrillers
Shelves: adult, recorded-books
Typical Robin Cook book combining medical technology, human greed, and ego. Lots of unbelievable connections between politics, organized crime, the Catholic church and cutting edge and stem cell research. A good distraction during commute into town.
I think that my brain checked out somewhere in the middle of this book. The beginning concept of the book, embryonic transplant cells to cure or alleviate Parkinson’s disease, is in itself an interesting concept. That is where the good part of the story ended. Why Dr. Cook needed to throw in the Mafia and a religious angle made no sense. Neither of them was fully explained and neither of them added to the overall storyline.

In what is purported to be a collision of power, religion and bioscience
(unabridged audiobook read by George Guidall): Dr. Daniel Lowell has discovered a new stem cell procedure to cure many currently terminal diseases. Senator Ashley Butler publicly opposes all such research but secretly offers to become Lowell's guinea pig to cure his Parkinson's Disease before his illness is discovered by the public. The rest of the book is a tangle of intrigue involving the mafia, the Catholic Church, the Shroud of Turin, organ harvesting, and US politics. It's a great set-up, r ...more
Jul 18, 2008 Bouncingsoul24 rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Zero stars! Don't waste your time. What do these three things have in common: shroud of Turin, stem cell research, and the mob? Answer: NOTHING!!!!!!

Overly difficult technical writing that only doctors would understand+ unlikable characters+ unrealistic storyline+ detailed descriptions of events that have no relevance whatsoever to the storyline= horrible book. Come on, Mr. Cook! Do we really need to read two pages about a character's justification in choice of shampoo while in a hotel shower wh
I think this is the worst Robin Cook book I've read so far. I have always enjoyed his thrillers but Seizure is definitely one from an off-day. The story was all to predictable and character development was minimal. The ending was very anticlimactic and the story ends with one of the characters actually defining what the story is about. You'll know what I mean if you make it to the end of this book. It's definitely not one in the worst-books-ever-written category, but not a thrilling thriller eit ...more
Dre Mosley
This was my very first Robin Cook novel. After hearing about how great his books were for years, I decided to finally give him a try. Perhaps this was not the book to start with because I thought it was very weak. Weak and dull to the point that I had to force myself to finish it.

The book is around 400 pages long, but nothing really happens of any substance until the last 30 pages and even then it's not too exciting. Lots of filler material between the beginning and end. Let's not get started on
As Brad Thor or Vince Flynn, are to spy novels, as Tom Clancy is to military capers and John Grisham is to courtroom dramas, for some time now, Robin Cook has been the master of the medical thriller. “Seizure” takes its rightful place in Cook’s long-line of white coat and stethoscope stories. As Cook points out in his afterword, he specializes in “faction,” in which the line between fact and fiction is blurred. What’s real, what’s not? That’s the question in this 2003 Cook release too.

Spoiler al
This book DRUG AND DRUG AND DRUG -- and I kept waiting for it to get better...and it NEVER did. I read (ok, I probably skimmed the last 100 pages or so) - but the big CLIMAX, was less than desirable, and it didn't happen until about page 420 -- the book only has 464 pages!!! and that wasn't even the CLIMAX, it was just what you were waiting the whole book to happen, and then it was just eh.
Apr 04, 2012 Megan rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one!
This book started so slow and just dragged on and on and on with endless, needless plot twists that took away from the main point. Also, there were times that I felt the author was talking down to me in order to explain some of the more complex medical terminology. I generally enjoy books by Cook, but this was not one I'd recommend to anyone.
Elizabeth Moffat
This book was okay but I was quite underwhelmed by the whole thing. Also, a few parts seemed a little unbelievable - but when you combine the Shroud of Turin, some DNA sequencing, barmy medical procedures, and a mob element, the story was bound to be a little strange?!
This is a medical thriller and although I like it, the characters are flat in the way House is flat. They all play specific parts without going out of those roles. For an entertaining medical thriller without high expectations, it will do.
Hard to believe ridiculous characters and contrived derivative plot with nothing to push you further. Farce of a novel. Feeling sorry for wasting money on this book.

Üstat her zaman ki gibi döktürmüş. Özellikle son yüz sayfaya geldiğinizde nefesiniz kesiliyor. Kitabın kurgusu müthiş. Cook her zamanki gibi tıp alanındaki bilgisi ve yazarlık konusunda yeteneğini çok iyi harmanlamış. Ancak gelgelelim yazar ne kadar iyiyse çeviri de aynı oranda berbat. Kitap son hızla akıp giderken arada bi yerde öyle bir cümle kurulmuş ki bu berbatlığı anlatmak mümkün değil. Bugüne kadar kitap alırken hiçbir zaman çevirmen ismi bir tercih
As a recent student of biotechnology, I got interested in the book since it looked like it would deliver a good, intriguing story connecting biotechnology (bio science in general), action, dilemmas (ethics), etc.
Robin Cook did approach those subjects, including politics and a bit of corruption in between, but the book suffers from a really slow pace at most times, which may turn it's reading quite boring and uninteresting...
With that said, it's still a good book, although it's probably only good
Ugh, what a piece of crap book. It just randomly ended, the dialogue and plot were awful... Just glad to be done.
"It's the story of two titans, in their own separate arenas, yet strangely similar in their hubris, who had achieved greatness but suffered tragic faults. Senator Butler's was a love of power, which had evolved from a means to an end and of itself. Dr. Lowell's, I'd guess, was a desire for financial recognition and celebrity status appropriate in his mind to his intellect and contribution. When these two men collided by conspiring to use each other for their own purposes, their tragic fault lite ...more
Anne Hawn Smith
For a book that has no good guys, this was surprisingly good. Dr. Daniel Lowell has developed a procedure for using stem cells in curing Parkinson's disease which shows great promise in lab animals. The powerful Senator Ashley Butler is one of the foremost opponents of stem cell research, but has been diagnosed with Parkinson's. In a secret meeting, he has promised that the bill to ban stem cell research will not proceed out of his committee if Dr. Lowell will use him as his test subject. Both m ...more
Randee Baty
I've been a big fan of Robin Cook for years but this is one book I could have done without. First, I didn't realize that I should have read "Shock" before I read this one so I'll just recommend that if you are going to read "Seizure", read "Shock" first.

If Robin Cook's mission is to convince us that anyone doing research into cloning or infertility issues or genetic therapies is evil, he does a good job of it with this book. There are absolutely no good guys. There is no one to root for.

A resea
At first the book was decent and some what captivating, however after the first hundred pages it was completely boring and entirely annoying. The plot is dragged out much longer than necessary and the worst part is the CHARACTORS. They are EXTREMELY unlikable and stereotypical. Daniel was the man who's solely focused on saving his company that - like in most plots - he forgets about other people's feelings but still tries to keep himself and his partner/lover Stephanie together. Which brings me ...more
Swapna Sundar
I thought the book sufferred from what I am calling the 'Dan Brown Code' - partner protagonists who are male and female; throw in a number of evil people who benefit from their death or disability; squeeze in an international escape; bring in some cutting edge science; and don't forget to hammer it all home with a historical artifact of religious significance, and then hope and pray it all comes together in the end and that the reader begins to have new doubts about the faith of Christians!

Sep 27, 2008 Debi added it
Shelves: medical-thriller
This was a pretty wild ride, another suspenseful medical thriller by Robin Cook. Some of the same characters that were in Shock were featured in this book.
Daniel and Stephanie are part of a start-up biotech company on the cutting edge of research. When their research threatens to get banned by politicians, the future of their company and careers are at stake. So when a powerful politician asks for their help with the promise of helping their company survive, they jump at the chance in spite of t
Jennifer Housewright
The only parts of the book I enjoyed were the description (misleading) and finally finishing it. I didn't relate to or indeed feel any affinity for any if the characters. Hate is too strong a word to assign to characters I just didn't care anything about. My mind kept wandering to more enjoyable activities I could be engaged in such as having my wisdom teeth pulled, getting a pelvic exam or setting my own house on fire.
Nancy Behrendt
I usually enjoy Robin Cooks books but I have to say I was disappointed by this one. I found it boring and what is usually so good about his books are the medical aspects of them and I found that lacking in this one.
Both a very good thriller, with lots of intersections, and an interesting introduction to cloning terminology. I spent almost as much time on wikipedia looking up the various terms and techniques as I did listening to the CD's.
Bill Thibadeau
When I started this review, I knew that I wanted to rate it 3.5 stars because it was good to a point. So, I started to list the pros and cons.
The premise of the story is plausible.
There is more than one storyline to follow.
Robin Cook is a compelling author.

I found myself skimming over numerous sections because they were boring and added nothing to the story.
The secondary storyline was more interesting than the main plot.
The characters were bland and not interesting.
The secondary storyl
Harry Addington
I guess long medical thrillers are not my "thing". I read 30 pages and jumped to the end. Saved a lot of time.
  • The Fifth Vial
  • Critical Condition (Dr. Richard Steele, #2)
  • The Silent Cradle
  • Pandemic
  • In the Hour Before Midnight
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
  • Deadly Exposure
  • The Experiment
  • The Andromeda Strain / The Terminal Man / The Great Train Robbery
  • The Savage Gorge (Tweed & Co. #24)
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b
More about Robin Cook...

“Instead, he was still acting distant from her in many subtle ways, and although they continued to sleep in the same bed, there had been no intimacy whatsoever. Such behavior raised an old concern of hers that Daniel was either incapable or unmotivated to offer the kind of emotional support she felt she needed, particularly in period of stress, no matter what the cause or whose fault it was. (Stephanie)” 2 likes