Seizure

Seizure

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  2,894 ratings  ·  110 reviews
The New York Times bestseller is now in paperback. Power, religion, and bioscience collide in the new novel from the master of the medical thriller.

Published October 5th 2004 by Berkley (first published 2003)

Chromosome 6 by Robin CookComa by Robin CookAcceptable Risk by Robin CookAbduction by Robin CookToxin by Robin Cook
Best of Robin Cook
12th out of 16 books — 29 voters
Brave New World by Aldous HuxleyNever Let Me Go by Kazuo IshiguroThe Third Twin by Ken FollettThe Boys from Brazil by Ira LevinPoseidon’s Children by Michael  West
Clones etc.
21st out of 44 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Michael
I give up.

A shame to be 2/3 deep and realize you cannot continue.

I feel betrayed by the inconsistency if this author! Aside from the medical jargon that is a necessary evil, the pacing and character development I swear was written as the story went along. This novel was about a lot of absolutely nothing. I can't say enough how disappointing that is for a Cookbook.

You never know which will be awesome and which will be aw-shit.
Jane
Dec 08, 2008 Jane rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who love meical mysteries and tecnological thrillers
Shelves: adult, recorded-books
Typical Robin Cook book combining medical technology, human greed, and ego. Lots of unbelievable connections between politics, organized crime, the Catholic church and cutting edge and stem cell research. A good distraction during commute into town.
Nancy
I think that my brain checked out somewhere in the middle of this book. The beginning concept of the book, embryonic transplant cells to cure or alleviate Parkinson’s disease, is in itself an interesting concept. That is where the good part of the story ended. Why Dr. Cook needed to throw in the Mafia and a religious angle made no sense. Neither of them was fully explained and neither of them added to the overall storyline.

In what is purported to be a collision of power, religion and bioscience...more
Jerry
Great Cook story: gripping suspense, humor, & ethics issues...

We've read all of Cook's medical "thrillers" (even his Egyptian mystery, the "Sphinx"), and would argue that some are a lot better than others. But along comes "Seizure", just possibly his best ever! A current affairs-type premise finds two intellectual doctors trying to save from impending financial ruin their stem-cell research company with a promising technology to grow disease-curing cells. They approach a US Senator to help...more
melydia
(unabridged audiobook read by George Guidall): Dr. Daniel Lowell has discovered a new stem cell procedure to cure many currently terminal diseases. Senator Ashley Butler publicly opposes all such research but secretly offers to become Lowell's guinea pig to cure his Parkinson's Disease before his illness is discovered by the public. The rest of the book is a tangle of intrigue involving the mafia, the Catholic Church, the Shroud of Turin, organ harvesting, and US politics. It's a great set-up, r...more
Steve
As Brad Thor or Vince Flynn, are to spy novels, as Tom Clancy is to military capers and John Grisham is to courtroom dramas, for some time now, Robin Cook has been the master of the medical thriller. “Seizure” takes its rightful place in Cook’s long-line of white coat and stethoscope stories. As Cook points out in his afterword, he specializes in “faction,” in which the line between fact and fiction is blurred. What’s real, what’s not? That’s the question in this 2003 Cook release too.

Spoiler al...more
Elizabeth Moffat
This book was okay but I was quite underwhelmed by the whole thing. Also, a few parts seemed a little unbelievable - but when you combine the Shroud of Turin, some DNA sequencing, barmy medical procedures, and a mob element, the story was bound to be a little strange?!
Kara
This is a medical thriller and although I like it, the characters are flat in the way House is flat. They all play specific parts without going out of those roles. For an entertaining medical thriller without high expectations, it will do.
Sharon
Mimi
"It's the story of two titans, in their own separate arenas, yet strangely similar in their hubris, who had achieved greatness but suffered tragic faults. Senator Butler's was a love of power, which had evolved from a means to an end and of itself. Dr. Lowell's, I'd guess, was a desire for financial recognition and celebrity status appropriate in his mind to his intellect and contribution. When these two men collided by conspiring to use each other for their own purposes, their tragic fault lite...more
Anne Hawn Smith
For a book that has no good guys, this was surprisingly good. Dr. Daniel Lowell has developed a procedure for using stem cells in curing Parkinson's disease which shows great promise in lab animals. The powerful Senator Ashley Butler is one of the foremost opponents of stem cell research, but has been diagnosed with Parkinson's. In a secret meeting, he has promised that the bill to ban stem cell research will not proceed out of his committee if Dr. Lowell will use him as his test subject. Both m...more
Randee Baty
I've been a big fan of Robin Cook for years but this is one book I could have done without. First, I didn't realize that I should have read "Shock" before I read this one so I'll just recommend that if you are going to read "Seizure", read "Shock" first.

If Robin Cook's mission is to convince us that anyone doing research into cloning or infertility issues or genetic therapies is evil, he does a good job of it with this book. There are absolutely no good guys. There is no one to root for.

A resea...more
Alyssa
At first the book was decent and some what captivating, however after the first hundred pages it was completely boring and entirely annoying. The plot is dragged out much longer than necessary and the worst part is the CHARACTORS. They are EXTREMELY unlikable and stereotypical. Daniel was the man who's solely focused on saving his company that - like in most plots - he forgets about other people's feelings but still tries to keep himself and his partner/lover Stephanie together. Which brings me...more
Debi
Sep 27, 2008 Debi added it
Shelves: medical-thriller
This was a pretty wild ride, another suspenseful medical thriller by Robin Cook. Some of the same characters that were in Shock were featured in this book.
Daniel and Stephanie are part of a start-up biotech company on the cutting edge of research. When their research threatens to get banned by politicians, the future of their company and careers are at stake. So when a powerful politician asks for their help with the promise of helping their company survive, they jump at the chance in spite of t...more
Bouncingsoul24
Jul 18, 2008 Bouncingsoul24 rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody
Zero stars! Don't waste your time. What do these three things have in common: shroud of Turin, stem cell research, and the mob? Answer: NOTHING!!!!!!

Overly difficult technical writing that only doctors would understand+ unlikable characters+ unrealistic storyline+ detailed descriptions of events that have no relevance whatsoever to the storyline= horrible book. Come on, Mr. Cook! Do we really need to read two pages about a character's justification in choice of shampoo while in a hotel shower wh...more
Bill Thibadeau
When I started this review, I knew that I wanted to rate it 3.5 stars because it was good to a point. So, I started to list the pros and cons.
Pros:
The premise of the story is plausible.
There is more than one storyline to follow.
Robin Cook is a compelling author.

Cons:
I found myself skimming over numerous sections because they were boring and added nothing to the story.
The secondary storyline was more interesting than the main plot.
The characters were bland and not interesting.
The secondary storyl...more
Sarah Jowett
I was totally with it and into it... until he said he wanted the blood from the Shroud of Turin. I'll pass, moving on.
Suby
This is a relatively new book by Robin Cook published in 2002. Understanding of stem cell research has advanced to a point when it is being considered for treating brain degenerative diseases like Parkinson's. Only in this book the author adds an extra dimension by adding fragmented DNA from the Shroud of Turin to the tissue culture to be injected in to the affected parts of the patient's brain. The book has enough medical thrills, mafia intrigues, politics over stem cell research and the financ...more
Regina Stiffler
I really liked the book, but there were too many loose ends.
David Weinfeld
exciting but some over - reaching characters
Lindsey
Ugh, what a piece of crap book. It just randomly ended, the dialogue and plot were awful... Just glad to be done.
Haritha
I think this is the worst Robin Cook book I've read so far. I have always enjoyed his thrillers but Seizure is definitely one from an off-day. The story was all to predictable and character development was minimal. The ending was very anticlimactic and the story ends with one of the characters actually defining what the story is about. You'll know what I mean if you make it to the end of this book. It's definitely not one in the worst-books-ever-written category, but not a thrilling thriller eit...more
Dysmonia Kuiper
I mistook Robin Cook for Michael Palmer and ended up grabbing this gem off the New Books cart at the library. The concept was promising, but the plot was poorly executed. In terms of the writing, here's a sample quote that pretty much says it all: "...Stephanie put her arms around Daniel. Her dark eyes stared up into his blue orbs." From then on, my roommate no longer had blue eyes. He now has blue orbs. And that inside joke is about the best thing I got out of this book.
Maggie
Craig
This book was half medical science, (stem cells) and half Christian mysticism, (shroud of Turin) with a dash of mafia. Cook seamlessly blended the action together and it made for an enjoyable read. I spent most of my time cringing in anticipation of preachy rhetoric about the controversial subject matter which never materialized. Cook's feelings aren't really shown until the Author's Note at the end and they are well thought out and interesting.
Alyn
combination of personal greed, politics and a medical breakthrough. this one deals with genetic transmutation and a couple of neurological diseases, particularly Parkinson's.

Unlike other Robin Cook books, there is less of the action and more of the technical hooplah. the book has all type of characters: politicians, Italian mob, quack doctors, clerics, etc. Therapeutic cloning is explained in layman's term that is not hard to understand.

Amy
429 pgs

Another fast-paced medical thriller by Cook. The underlying cell premis was great. The doctors decisions seened childish at times; like why take the blood from the Shurd of Turan to get your DNA fragments. Also, they should have been well prepared during the operation with the x-ray machine. And lastly, why did they allow the patient to leave the hospital??? Still, it was a good read with twists added.
Dustin Crazy little brown owl
I thought this was better than Toxin. I enjoyed it as much as Acceptable Risk. Seizure is about theraputic cloning and the debate of biology and politics. I thought the story was very interesting and relative to abortion-based arguments. Seizure also deals with The Shroud of Turin, so reading this book was reminiscent of The Da Vinci Code (at least a little);interesting enough, both books were published in 2003.
Angela
This book DRUG AND DRUG AND DRUG -- and I kept waiting for it to get better...and it NEVER did. I read (ok, I probably skimmed the last 100 pages or so) - but the big CLIMAX, was less than desirable, and it didn't happen until about page 420 -- the book only has 464 pages!!! and that wasn't even the CLIMAX, it was just what you were waiting the whole book to happen, and then it was just eh.
Sara
Robin Cook has always impressed me as an author and upon research I found all of his science accurate. I thought 'Seizure' would follow the same pattern- a Senator has Parkinson's and uses stem cell research as a cure. So far, it's decent, not the best thing I've read by Cook, as the book incorporates so many subplots and I'm down to the last 100 pages waiting to see how it all gets tied up.
  • The Fifth Vial
  • Mutant (Dr. Richard Steele, #1)
  • The Power Broker (Christian Gillette, #3)
  • Pandemic
  • In the Hour Before Midnight
  • Fourth Procedure
  • Parallel Lies
19697
Librarian Note: Not to be confused with British novelist Robin Cook a pseudonym of Robert William Arthur Cook.

Dr. Robin Cook (born May 4, 1940 in New York City, New York) is an American doctor / novelist who writes about medicine and topics affecting public health.

He is best known for being the author who combined medical writing with the thriller genre of writing. Several of his books have been b...more
More about Robin Cook...
Outbreak (Dr. Marissa Blumenthal, #1) Coma Chromosome 6 (Jack Stapleton & Laurie Montgomery, #3) Toxin Contagion

“Instead, he was still acting distant from her in many subtle ways, and although they continued to sleep in the same bed, there had been no intimacy whatsoever. Such behavior raised an old concern of hers that Daniel was either incapable or unmotivated to offer the kind of emotional support she felt she needed, particularly in period of stress, no matter what the cause or whose fault it was. (Stephanie)” 1 likes