Start by marking “Valentine (V, #5)” as Want to Read:
Valentine (V, #5)

Valentine (V #5)

From beguiling New York Times bestselling author Jane Feather comes this classic tale brimming with intrigue and passion.

A quirk of fate has made Sylvester Gilbraith the heir of his sworn enemy, the earl of Stoneridge. But there’s a catch: To claim his inheritance, he has to marry one of the earl’s four granddaughters. The magnetically handsome nobleman has no choice but

Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published October 25th 2005 by Bantam (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Valentine

Fani
I really liked this one a lot and if I could I'd rate it with 3.5 stars. This book has everything I like: a distant hero suffering from a severe head wound, a marriage of convenience and war secrets.

As in all marriage-of-convenience plots, he comes to care for her as well and she for him, although she soon learns it was her money that made him marry her. But she also can't deny the passion between them. However, when she tries to get nearer her husband, he pushes her away (or under him!), refus
Andrea
Oct 14, 2012 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
mind candy! The magic of escape!

Reread after many years. Jane Feather writes of a long ago England, many during the period following the defeat of Napoleon at Waterloo.

This novel involves a former officer, Major Sylvester Gilbraith, of the British Hussars that was wounded at a battle. The French army captured the unit's colors, and it was whispered that the major surrendered the colors before he was injured. An army court failed to convict the major of cowardice, however the major still suffere
Paula
Feb 05, 2011 Paula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jane Feather delivers a romance. It has the usual elements, a disadvantaged hero, a disappointed heroine, mystery from the past, and an explosive romance, all set in 1800's England.
C
Sep 23, 2008 C rated it liked it
Major Sylvester Gilbraith's regiment lost a decisive battle to the French on the shores of Portugal. Gravely injured, Sylvester survived a year in a French prison camp. On his return to England he is brought before a military tribunal, accused of cowardice for surrendering to the enemy. He cannot even defend himself because he has no memory of the fateful battle in which he was gravely wounded. The charge of cowardice clings to him and old friends, even fellow soldiers, turn their backs. He is o ...more
Elle
May 26, 2012 Elle rated it liked it

I'll start by saying this is a pretty good story. As with most of this series, it's a bit light on the history, which i missed. Feather has a real talent for weaving historical fact in with a subtle hand, so that you gain knowledge of the period even while you're reading a fun story, but again, this was more of a straightforward Georgian romance.

Sylvester Gilbraith has inherited an earldom from a distant relative, a member of a branch of the family that has been at odds with his (bit fuzzy here
Megan
This is my first Jane Feather book and I’m very pleased with it! The beginning was very slow, but once it got going I really enjoyed Sylvester and Theo (even though they got on my nerves sometimes). The main characters are at each other’s throats for awhile at the beginning, but it doesn’t last too long and you’re able to get on with the story. There were a few places in the book that were also really funny, and that took me by surprise- in a good way of course. I will try some of her other book ...more
Jan 25, 2015 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Sylvester goes into the marriage without revealing the full details of the grandfather's will and multiple times says "But I never lied to you." That really doesn't help his case nor does it make this book quite likable. I skimmed through the last 2 thirds. It was rather tedious.
Amalia Dillin
I'm still scratching my head over the title of this book, trying to figure out what is "Valentine" about it.

I enjoyed this book enough to keep reading, even though 90% of the problems could have been solved by the hero just telling the truth to his wife, but it was a nice leisurely romance.
Ana
Mar 26, 2016 Ana rated it liked it
3 stars. Not many readers will like Sylvester but I found him attractive in a weirdly overbearing way lol. Anyways, the story lost it's charm when they moved to London for the season. The ensuing mystery and conflict became predictable. What a shame..
Tamara
Aug 21, 2009 Tamara rated it it was ok
Gabbe
Sep 06, 2015 Gabbe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Le doy 5 porque me gustó Theo, pero me hubiera gustado un final menos rápido, quiero decir... tanto ¡solo para eso! Pero me gustó la referencia a la guerra, también por eso tiene 5 estrellitas :3
Quisiera una historia sobre Rosie :3
Lucimar
Feb 27, 2016 Lucimar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: aventura, humor
Sempre apreciei Jane Feather. Gosto da maneira que escreve. Li algumas criticas sobre o mocinho. Mas, eu particularmente gostei, é verdade que ele trama, esconde alguma verdade, mais isto não me impediu de apreciá-lo. Mocinha espetacular,decidida e forte. Sabe se impor. Aliás, a família toda é agradável. Destaque para a mãe dela, Elinor e Rose, a caçula que é simplesmente uma graça e torna o livro engraçado. Já a família de Sylvester, nem ele mesmo suporta...
Cinco estrelas pelos momentos engraça
Jessica
Mar 13, 2016 Jessica rated it liked it
The beginning was incredibly slow but it got better towards the latter half.
Gwen
Apr 28, 2015 Gwen rated it really liked it
Love the fact that a young woman in 1810 England has martial art skills !!
Rema
Mar 11, 2016 Rema rated it it was amazing
I REALLY enjoyed reading this! I loved Theo and Sylvester together. They just fit really well together. Theo was definitely a different kind of heroine in this genre. She's my absolute favorite.
Mary Lauer
May 07, 2012 Mary Lauer rated it it was ok
Eh. The silly family feud, their unwillingness to TALK to each other led to contrived issues. Her refusal to pay any attention whatsoever to her personal safety drove me nuts.
Rhonda
Nov 29, 2012 Rhonda rated it liked it
The last book was better and I'm having a problem understanding how it's a series if the characters change each time with all new plots and story lines.
Joanne
Apr 14, 2011 Joanne rated it it was amazing
Loved, loved this book by Jane.....great characters, sizziling sex, romance, bad guys.........witty.......a very enjoyable book!
Karen  Boruff
Feb 16, 2014 Karen Boruff rated it liked it
It was OK. Well written. I wouldn't have bothered with this book, but it was a gift.
Cyndi
Dec 18, 2012 Cyndi rated it did not like it
This book sucked.
Joan
Aug 09, 2012 Joan rated it really liked it
Great read.
BK
BK rated it really liked it
Sep 28, 2016
Carey
Carey marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Cat
Cat marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Elisabeth
Elisabeth marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
sharon camalo
sharon camalo rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Pamela Belsham
Pamela Belsham rated it liked it
Sep 14, 2016
Eritrea
Eritrea rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Apr 21, 2015 05:53PM
  • Each Time We Love (Louisiana, #4)
  • Never Romance a Rake (Neville Family #3)
  • Lady Folbroke's Delicious Deception (Mills & Boon Historical)
  • Ravished by the Rake
  • Highland Rogue, London Miss
  • The Perfect Mistress (Mistress, #2)
  • A Courtesan's Scandal (The Scandalous Series, #3)
  • Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right (Impossible Bachelors, #2)
  • Promise of Pleasure (Novel of Sensual Destiny, #1)
  • How to Tame a Lady (Daughtry Family, #2)
  • Seducing the Heiress (Heiress in London, #1)
  • To Wed a Scandalous Spy (Royal Four, #1)
  • Once a Rake
  • Devotion (Hawthorne, #2)
  • Lady Be Bad (Merry Widows, #3)
  • Stealing the Bride (Danvers, #2)
  • In the Night (Ryland Brothers, #4)
  • The Scottish Witch (The Chattan Curse, #2)
Jane Feather was born in Cairo, Egypt, and grew up in New Forest, in the south of England. She began her highly successful career after she and her family moved to Washington D.C. in 1981. She now has over ten million books in print.

Has also written under pseudonym of Claudia Bishop (books written in 1984)
More about Jane Feather...

V (9 books)