Start by marking “Mystery of the Green Cat” as Want to Read:
Mystery of the Green Cat

Mystery of the Green Cat

With its black eyes, the creature looks at the four children, mysteriously wise, mysteriously alive...."

What is the secret of the green cat? Why does it mean so much to the strange people who live next door?

Why is the old baroness kept a prisoner there in the gloomy old mansion?

Andy and his twin brother are having a hard time getting used to their new stepsisters. But on o
Published September 28th 1957 by Westminster John Knox Press (first published September 1957)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery of the Green Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery of the Green Cat

C.
Nov 05, 2012 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: up-to-2012
I’ve read the irreplaceable Phyllis A. Whitney since my teens. So vast is her legacy of published works to the literary world, after all this time I’m still uncovering them in triumphant places! Knowing they came out as late as 1997, I wondered with puzzlement what her range is. At a thrift store, I found this: "The Mystery Of The Green Cat". I was blown away that it’s from 1957. Like a magical moment out of a movie, while I read this mystery one night; a girl's school portrait dropped out of it ...more
Sam
Jul 22, 2012 Sam rated it it was amazing
People in the 1950s really did have pointy knees and elbows. Also, an old Victorian mansion on San Francisco's Russian Hill...a jade cat statuette...the mystery of the Orient... What's not to love? (I'm sad there's no cover image because I truly love it.)
Cherie
Jul 20, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the 1st time I picked it up. I loved the cover and the mystry of it. I was fascinated with San Francisco and the fog. Like another reader commented "too bad that there is not a cover picture". I wish I had a copy today.
Rhiannon
Sep 24, 2011 Rhiannon rated it it was amazing
I loved the book.
At first glance it looks like the kind of book you think "Well, looks okay but a bit small" and when you read it it was AWESOME!
I feel sad for all the people, especially Lydia.
:D
Erin Ramsay
Feb 18, 2015 Erin Ramsay rated it liked it
The only thing I remember about reading this when I was a kid was that I didn't know what bangs were.
Kelsy
Oct 29, 2016 Kelsy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, mystery
I wish my copy isn`t falling apart. This is an old book and I enjoy it to the end.
It one those old childen`s books that are well written and forgotten about. I thick I`'ll try to find another copy that not falling apart. This book is a kids book, but since it over fifty years old there should be an exception that anyone young or old can read it.
Nancy
Jun 23, 2013 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
This book I found on a friend's reading list from childhood. I remembered reading it myself as a child. I remember especially liking the illustration by Richard Horwitz. He made the kids look very grown up and I liked that a lot. It is a good book on multiple levels. The boys are trying to deal with the grief of the loss of a parent at the same time trying to adjust to a new stepparent. The girls having had more time for grief trying to get to know the boys and adjust to a new family. Everyone's ...more
Jackie
Jan 01, 2016 Jackie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-as-a-kid
My 3rd grade teacher read this to our class, and I absolutely loved it then. This book, and a picture on the back cover of a little cat, inspired me to make a little ceramic cat in college that I still have.

I haven't probably read the book since 3rd grade, but I still found it intriguing today. Some things and phrases are quite dated, yet it still stands the test of time. I am surprised I could not borrow this book from the library. It is quite a classic.
Twyla
Mar 11, 2016 Twyla rated it it was amazing
In this book Jill, carol, Andy, and Adrian visit their neighbour to solve some mysteries. They found out so much about heir neighbours, and also made some new friends. I learned that you need to investigate to find things out sometimes. Auryn 12 years old, 2016
KennyO
Nov 10, 2016 KennyO rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A book I remember enjoying in childhood, circa 1960. It enlightened me about the odd thinking of adults who are misguidedly "looking out for" the interests of others.
Devi
Oct 30, 2012 Devi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute little story. While some of the details within the tale point to its age (Original copyright 1957) and changed social norms, it is still a good story.
Frankie Mahrle
Apr 16, 2015 Frankie Mahrle rated it liked it
Don't remember much, but I liked the cover. Maybe I learned something there.
Terri
Terri rated it liked it
Jul 10, 2009
Wanda Austin-Nelson
Wanda Austin-Nelson rated it it was amazing
Sep 24, 2012
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2012
Roxie
Roxie rated it liked it
Aug 10, 2011
Linda Branich
Linda Branich rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2013
Sherry
Sherry rated it it was ok
Apr 07, 2010
Mckinley
Jul 08, 2015 Mckinley rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, mystery
One of her ya books.
Cathy
Cathy rated it it was amazing
Nov 01, 2007
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Bonnie
Bonnie rated it liked it
Sep 08, 2015
Sophie
Sophie rated it really liked it
Jun 01, 2014
Ruthe Collins
Ruthe Collins rated it it was amazing
Apr 26, 2012
Monet
Monet rated it really liked it
Aug 02, 2013
Teri
Teri rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2008
Jonquil
Jonquil rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2008
Peg
Peg rated it really liked it
Aug 29, 2012
Claire
Claire rated it liked it
May 14, 2010
  • Trixie Belden and the Secret of the Unseen Treasure (Trixie Belden, #19)
  • The Pink Motel
  • The Wednesday Witch
  • The Gatehouse Mystery
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Dead Soul (Charlie Moon, #8)
  • Waiting For Willa
  • The Lion's Paw
  • A Dram of Poison
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...