Start by marking “The Ebony Swan ” as Want to Read:
The Ebony Swan

The Ebony Swan

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  535 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Susan Prentice has come home to Virgina's eastern shores, to the very spot where her mother fell to her death twenty-five years before, also the home of Alex Montoro, her proud, intense grandmother. But Susan's arrival has alarmed people who fear what may lie dormant in Susan's memory. Especially Alex. For she believes her granddaughter is the only living witness to the tr...more
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published June 13th 1998 by Ivy Books (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Ebony Swan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ebony Swan

Sarah-Dianne
I consider this type of mystery to be the best kind. It keeps you on your toes, but it isn't to scary to keep you up! This was a great read!
Judy Tolley
I’ve read books by Phyllis Whitney for many years and have never found a book of hers I didn’t like. This was no exception. A young woman goes to visit her grandmother she hasn’t seen since she was a small child. Her mother was killed mysteriously when she was young and they lived with her grandmother but she has blocked out what she saw. Her grandmother, an ex ballerina who danced the Swan Lake at one point, has many secrets she imparts during their visit. Good read.
Faith
I don't have the exact read start and finish dates on many books I have read this year. The dates are approximated, as I have been in & out of the hospital, and on bed rest, and read 2-5 books a day depending on the book & length and my ability to focus. All dates are approximated, by month.
Meredith
Dayna Smith
When Susan Prentice returns to her childhood home in Virginia 25 years after witnessing the death of her mother, Dolores, she wishes only to become reacquainted with her formidable grandmother, Alex, a former ballerina. But Susan finds herself isolated in a hostile environment, her relatives obviously fearful that she might recall hitherto repressed memories of the tragedy. Her old playmate Peter (now Alex's physician) has survived the murder of his wife a year ago, a crime that might be linked...more
Rhonda Rae Baker
I've never been much of a mystery and/or even romantic novel reader but was attracted to this one as I like swans.

This was a great novel and I enjoyed the characters. It fit me very well because one of the protagonists was a dancer in her youth and the other protagonist has other mysteries that I shared.

The author did an exceptional job telling the story and I was caught up with events from the start. I have two other novels by this author that will be read now...her talent is exceptional and en...more
Clara Weinberger
Great mystery keep you guessing and wondering what would happen next.
Luella
I love this book. It is added because I am taking the Reader's Advisory course at COD. And this author is supposed to be the Queen, among others, of Romantic Suspense. But I think she's old school though.
Margaret
A classic Phyllis Whitney story about a former prima ballerina, whose granddaughter follows clues into the past revealing scandal and sometimes murder.
Rusty
This is a nice, comfortable read. I like mysteries without too much blood and gore and Whitney's writing fits this description. Very good mystery writer.
Hailey
Sep 17, 2009 Hailey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes suspense
Recommended to Hailey by: Mom
Shelves: mystery
This book really keeps you on your toes, right up until the very end. Now I understand why people say that Phillis A. Whitney is the master of her craft.
Barbara Woodford
A real thriller! The ending was totally unexpected. It kept you in suspense throughout. I hadn't been reading her but I certainly will now.
Pamela Grant
I've been reading Whitney books since I was very young and I love them.
Murugami
creative,full of suspence.
Jackie Simons
Read 10/95
Suzana
I liked it, but not as much as her others. This one bothered me on several levels and is darker.

For someone who has lived her life and all the mistakes she has made, Alex didn't seem like learned from them as well as she should have. Some of the supporting characters (several actually) were disturbing. The only characters I liked were Peter and Susan. They were the only ones who seemed "real" and likeable.

Things I thought about as I read: The lies we tell ourselves to make us feel better about...more
Oct 23, 2008 Sarah rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: sarah
This book had all the same elements she always uses...although the way she wrapped up the book, was much different than her usual, as well as she had two heroines...I also for the first time ever, guessed exactly who the killer was!
Lisa Greer
Sep 27, 2010 Lisa Greer rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard Whitney fans
This one is only for those who are true fans of everything Whitney has ever written. Otherwise, I'd say to skip this one. My full review is here:

Kathy
This was a quick read, enjoyable, but nothing spectacular. Typical girl goes home to find herself, solves a mystery and falls in love with the handsome bachelor.
R.
this seems like a warning against letting your regrets fester as you grow old and/or defining yourself only by how others see you.
Brittany
An enjoyable and interesting mystery with some good character development, though a few things were never explained at the end.
Sharon
Too much agonizing over things untold until pages later. This book could have been much shorter and better.
Michelle
very good, enjoyable, holds attention
Gígja
May 21, 2012 Gígja added it
Easy read, interesting, some suspence.
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Lesley
Lesley is currently reading it
Oct 18, 2014
  • The Legend of the Seventh Virgin
  • The Stormy Petrel
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear...more
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...
Hunter's Green The Singing Stones Window on the Square Amethyst Dreams The Turquoise Mask