Start by marking “Window on the Square” as Want to Read:
Window on the Square

Window on the Square

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  830 ratings  ·  26 reviews
THE SCENE IS NEW YORK CITY IN THE 1870's. A letter summons young Megan Kincaid to the house on Washington Square. In a startling interview the master of the house, Brandon Reid, informs her that he wishes her to devote herself to moody, unbalanced Jeremy, Mrs. Reid's son by her previous husband, Brandon's younger brother Dwight. Dwight Reid's brilliant career as New York D ...more
Mass Market, 352 pages
Published November 1st 1991 by Harpercollins (Mm) (first published 1962)

Rebecca by Daphne du MaurierJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëDracula by Bram StokerMateguas Island by Linda  WatkinsWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Best Gothic Novels/Suspense Novels
112th out of 290 books — 347 voters
Mistress of Mellyn by Victoria HoltDragonwyck by Anya SetonTregaron's Daughter by Madeleine BrentWatch the Wall, My Darling by Jane Aiken HodgeOn the Night of the Seventh Moon by Victoria Holt
20th Century Gothic Romances
15th out of 96 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Christine Honsinger
I have not been a great fan of Phyllis Whitney's novels that I have read to date...recently I started and tossed aside 3 books of hers, and others that I did get through were just pretty ho hum, but I'm sure glad I didn't give up on her. I absolutely loved this book. I realize that it is only a gothic suspense novel from the 60's, 1962 to be exact, and definitely not fine literature, (which I usually try and reserve my 5 star ratings for with well-beloved classics such as Jane Eyre, Pride and Pr ...more
Sarah Pierce
These are historical romances, the kind in which the heroine only kisses her true love twice, and there is slight handholding and brief dancing, things like that. The reason that I like these books is that they are also murder mysteries, with delightfully Victorian-tinged twists and turns. Yeah.
Ashley
I read this book after looking for ones similar to Nine Coaches Waiting, by Mary Stewart.

23 year old Megan Kincaid is trying to move on after the different deaths of her family, by keeping her late-mother's dressmaking business alive, though Megan is no amazing seamstress herself. After being summoned to the wealthy Reid household for a dress fitting (on the recommendation of a loyal friend of her late mother's), and coming for an interview, she is asked to stay there on pretense of a seamstress
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
This was one of the first 'adult' books I'd ever read, one of my mothers favorites. I love the story, even though it's not my usual fare. Ms. Whitney does a brilliant job of writing characters that come alive - from the prim and proper Megan, to the mercurial Brandon, and the dark and forbidding Garth. I've read this story again and again over the years, wearing out the paperback until it is in pieces and held together with a rubber band. I upgraded to the hardcover version so I can keep on re-r ...more
Aria
Oct 08, 2012 Aria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older Ages
I adored this book, absolutely devoured it, word for word. I automatically fell in love with Jeremy's character, without him this book may have been too boring to continue, but no, this was one of the most amazing books I've ever laid my eyes upon. The cover of mine is a bit "trudgy" but getting past that I became engrossed in the novel.
Mina
This is one the first books I've ever read by Phillis A. Whitney, and one of the most memorable ones. I would highly recommend this!
Megan
This was one of my favorite Phyllis A Whitney books.
Sakura Yue Michaelis
Theresa
Janet
I recall reading this back in the late 1970s! And I still remember how compelling it was!
Susan (the other Susan)
I used to devour her books as fast as I could find them (at the library, pre-Amazon and in a town without a great book store) and this is one I remember loving. Classic gothic suspense with a hero who is cold and brooding but never cruel or contemptuous.
Deborah Gebhardt
Second time around. Enjoyed just as much this time around.
Lauren
The mystery and suspense in this book left me on the edge of my seat. Whitney makes the characters come alive and shine on the pages. Megan Kincaid is truly a heroine to look up to; she has a strong sense of duty and an endearing stubbornness that helps her through her ordeals with Jeremy. This is a fast read that will keep you guessing until the very end.
Amita
May 22, 2013 Amita rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Older Ages
Rae
A young woman is hired to rehabilitate a boy who has been accused of killing his own father. Of course, like all gothics, everything is not what it appears to be...

A traditional gothic romance with lots of suspense and creepy personalities. I enjoyed it immensely -- a nice break from reality. Whitney almost always satisfies.
Kina
Hated that the romance was with the married man, even though his marriage had never been consumated. But the storyline was FANTASTIC! She portrays the children very well and it was truly scarey and mysterious. I LOVED this book!
Katherine
It's a mystery romance that kept me guessing to the end. Even though this is my second read, first one was about 20 years ago (I feel old!) I appropriated it from my mother's shelf, I should probably give it back.
Eng.Khalid Ib
رواية نافذة على الميدان للمؤلف فليس ا. أوتيني
رواية شيقة جدا...مليئة بالحوادث المثيرة التي
تشد الأحساس وتؤثر في المشاعر فيها حب...حقد,وفيها
صراع وقتل وعنف مما يجعل القارىء في قراءة مستمرة
وذلك لغموضها وحبكتها الرائعة.
Megan D. Neal
My mother says this is the book from which she got my name. I really liked this book as a teenager/young woman, but I don't know how I'd feel about it now. I need to reread it and see.
Lori
Very good reading. . . keeps you going the whole time. Mystery and a little bit of romance. I couldn't put it down. Don't read the last few pages first or it will spoil everything!
Joyce
Borrowed from public library.
Young women solve the mystery and gain true romance.
Horrible to read. Too much suspicion of murder, too many suspects.
Melissa
My very first favorite author - I have all her books -- been reading these for years
❂ Jennifer (reviews on BookLikes)
Paperback version of the Hardcover I've already reviewed.
Jacqueline
I read this haunting book years ago and need to reread it.
Deborah
See Quicksilver Pool.
Anais101
Feb 22, 2013 Anais101 added it
Shelves: romantica
Revelaciones
Joan
Joan marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2015
Lisa Marbly-Warir
Lisa Marbly-Warir marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Salwa Smz
Salwa Smz marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Twen
Twen marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2015
  • Winterwood
  • Moonraker's Bride
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...
Hunter's Green The Singing Stones Thunder Heights The Turquoise Mask Amethyst Dreams