When I Grow Up: A Young Person's Guide to Interesting and Unusual Occupations

When I Grow Up: A Young Person's Guide to Interesting and Unusual Occupations

3.5 of 5 stars 3.50  ·  rating details  ·  16 ratings  ·  5 reviews
What do you want to be when you grow up? Consider all your options. How about being a game designer and creating computer action games similar to the ones you play? Or, if you like chocolate, you could become a chocolatier and make delectable treats. There’s even the possibility of studying fascinating bugs for a living—as an entomologist. The choices are endless. So come...more
Published September 2nd 2008 by Henry Holt and Co. (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about When I Grow Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When I Grow Up

Scope
When I was in elementary school I wanted to be a Karate Guy when I got older. Apparently, I wasn’t aware of the whole “you have to make some money” thing. It just sounded like a cool job to me. As a child, I didn’t know I would grow up to be a children’s librarian. I’m guessing the same goes for kids who grow up to be alpaca farmers. “When I Grow Up” contains a collection of unique professions that will be useful for kids thinking of the future. A solid addition to your careers section.

14 uncomm...more
Susan
A fun look at alternate career ideas for the "when I grow up" interested. My husband would have wanted to be a master cheese maker like the featured man in Vermont and my youngest, of course, flipped over the game designer. Personally I was smitten with the notion of being a Lobsterman (which featured Linda Greenlaw of The Perfect Storm inspiration fame). But I really just want to ride on the boat, not get pinched by those lobsters.
Terry
Jan 07, 2009 Terry added it
Borrow or buy. At home, this is a book you can share together a couple of times. If you are a teacher, you will want to buy a copy because you'll be using it every year!
Ginger W.
This book was a little above my kiddos head. The couple career paths he was interested in kept his attention but he quickly lost interest in the entire book.
Kirei
Lots of interesting occupations in this book! Chocolatier, entomologist, set designer, master cheese maker....etc.
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Stephanie Frame
Stephanie Frame marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2013
Athena  Harrison
Athena Harrison marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
JDC
JDC added it
Aug 09, 2013
CCPL Youth Services
CCPL Youth Services marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2013
Kaethe
Kaethe marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2010
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2009
Yukari
Yukari added it
Mar 30, 2009
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2009
Niesha
Niesha marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2009
Follow the Trail: A Young Person's Guide to the Great Outdoors Weird Facts About Awesome Animals