Start by marking “Black Amber” as Want to Read:
Black Amber

Black Amber

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  575 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
In An Ancient Land of Mosques and Minarets, The Secret Behind Her Sister's Death is Hidden
When Anabel Radburn placed a desperate overseas phone call to her sister Tracy saying she was in great danger, Tracy chalked it up to Anabel's dramatic flair. Until the next day when Anabel's body is pulled from the Bosporus in Istanbul. Racked with guilt for not responding immediatel
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published November 12th 1981 by Fawcett Books (first published 1964)

Arismeire
Jun 30, 2016 Arismeire rated it it was amazing
Tracy Hubbard tinha uma vida boa, morando em Nova York, trabalhando em uma famosa revista e recebendo cartões no Natal de uma meia-irmã mais velha que já adorara e invejara. Ao saber da morte desta irmã, a moça consegue que a enviem para ser assistente do famoso artista Miles Redburn. Sua intenção era a de investigar a morte da irmã sem que lhe mentissem ou ocultassem algo ao saber de seu parentesco com a falecida esposa de Miles.
A protagonista chega a Istambul e se torna hóspede da exótica Sylv
Jesse
Aug 20, 2015 Jesse rated it it was amazing
Phyllis Whitney knows how to weave an enthralling web: heroine thrust into a mysterious house and household, with very unsure alliances (or rivalries), hidden rooms, secrets galore. This book was written in 1964, yet it stands the test of time with nary a blemish.

Phyllis Whitney's work is often classified as "romantic suspense" which, at the outset (when I'd first picked up the first book of hers that I'd read), would have led me to believe it was heavy on the romance and light on the suspense.
Doris Pearson
Aug 15, 2012 Doris Pearson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting insights into siblings emotions. Also insights given of how drugs ruin lives. A good quick summer read.
Michelle
Jan 15, 2009 Michelle rated it it was amazing
Such incredible detail in this book. I just love her work.
Brittany Rogers
Jun 27, 2013 Brittany Rogers rated it it was amazing
I have a weakness for romance, and the exotic, so this grabbed my attention and stole it away forever. I nearly cried when I realized I would hear no more about these characters. This book could have been so much longer, and felt as though it ended abruptly, but the ending was still satisfying in a sense of all loose ends were tied.
Claire Frances
I gave it three stars because I thought this book would be good with romance and suspense story. It was written in 1964. Everything was different. Different view of the society. This book is about Tracey going to Turkey to discover the death of her sister. She stays at her sister's husband's house to help him out with writing a novel but she ends up falling in love with her. This book is out of date, I think. My grandma gave the book to me and told me that it was a good book. I wanted to read th ...more
C.
Jan 15, 2013 C. rated it liked it
I regard Phyllis A Whitney as my mentor. When anyone learns the scope of her work, the jaw-dropping quantity of decades she lived to create it, they admire her too. A million personal preferences shape enjoyment of a book. The reasons needn’t be talent or lack of a superb story. I was swept into 1964's "Black Amber" immediately. There is much to rave about. A few aspects got under my skin nearer the end and descended my assessment to three stars.

Many writers do it but I find it irrelevant to spe
girl writing
Apr 13, 2015 girl writing rated it liked it
A favorite reread from my childhood when I traveled vicariously through books. Once I went through Whitney's young adult novels, I was thrilled to discover she wrote romantic suspense adults books. The big draw for me was the exoticness of the setting…Turkey. There is very little action and lots of description and dialog…have to kind of change your mindset when reading these older books. A fun reading escape
Sheri South
Apr 20, 2015 Sheri South rated it liked it
Much as I devoured romantic suspense during my teen years in the '70s, I'm finding now that many of the heroes are too "alpha" for my taste, and there's not enough romance to suit me. I still enjoy the exotic settings, but I find Mary Stewart holds up to re-reading better than Phyllis Whitney does.
Susan
Jun 17, 2016 Susan rated it liked it
Not as good as some of her other books. I thought it rather drawn out and didn't keep my interest as most of her other books have done.
Gail Morris
Sep 23, 2015 Gail Morris rated it really liked it
interesting
Lauren
Jul 11, 2015 Lauren rated it really liked it
Shelves: gothic, romance
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Phyllis A. Whitney is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Meghan
Aug 18, 2014 Meghan rated it it was ok
Fun story but a little cheesy for me. I would not call this a romance but others think so. Little odd for that scenerio. Nice read. If the ending was different I maybe would have given it a 3 star.
Deborah
May 31, 2010 Deborah rated it liked it
See Quicksilver Pool.
Debra
Debra rated it liked it
Aug 15, 2016
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2016
Cindy Loomis-Torvi
Cindy Loomis-Torvi rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2016
Sarah rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2016
Joneen
Joneen rated it liked it
Jul 04, 2016
Shirley Courtney
Shirley Courtney rated it liked it
Jun 26, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
T
T rated it liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Nancy Blacksmith
Nancy Blacksmith rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Iris Engel
Iris Engel rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2016
  • The Grey Beginning
  • Watch the Wall, My Darling
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...