Start by marking “Black Amber” as Want to Read:
Black Amber

Black Amber

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  532 ratings  ·  12 reviews
In An Ancient Land of Mosques and Minarets, The Secret Behind Her Sister's Death is Hidden
When Anabel Radburn placed a desperate overseas phone call to her sister Tracy saying she was in great danger, Tracy chalked it up to Anabel's dramatic flair. Until the next day when Anabel's body is pulled from the Bosporus in Istanbul. Racked with guilt for not responding immediatel
Mass Market Paperback, 0 pages
Published November 12th 1981 by Fawcett Books (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about Black Amber, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Black Amber

Doris Pearson
Interesting insights into siblings emotions. Also insights given of how drugs ruin lives. A good quick summer read.
Such incredible detail in this book. I just love her work.
Phyllis Whitney knows how to weave an enthralling web: heroine thrust into a mysterious house and household, with very unsure alliances (or rivalries), hidden rooms, secrets galore. This book was written in 1964, yet it stands the test of time with nary a blemish.

Phyllis Whitney's work is often classified as "romantic suspense" which, at the outset (when I'd first picked up the first book of hers that I'd read), would have led me to believe it was heavy on the romance and light on the suspense.
Brittany Rogers
I have a weakness for romance, and the exotic, so this grabbed my attention and stole it away forever. I nearly cried when I realized I would hear no more about these characters. This book could have been so much longer, and felt as though it ended abruptly, but the ending was still satisfying in a sense of all loose ends were tied.
Claire Frances
I gave it three stars because I thought this book would be good with romance and suspense story. It was written in 1964. Everything was different. Different view of the society. This book is about Tracey going to Turkey to discover the death of her sister. She stays at her sister's husband's house to help him out with writing a novel but she ends up falling in love with her. This book is out of date, I think. My grandma gave the book to me and told me that it was a good book. I wanted to read th ...more
I regard Phyllis A Whitney as my mentor. When anyone learns the scope of her work, the jaw-dropping quantity of decades she lived to create it, they admire her too. A million personal preferences shape enjoyment of a book. The reasons needn’t be talent or lack of a superb story. I was swept into 1964's "Black Amber" immediately. There is much to rave about. A few aspects got under my skin nearer the end and descended my assessment to three stars.

Many writers do it but I find it irrelevant to spe
girl writing
A favorite reread from my childhood when I traveled vicariously through books. Once I went through Whitney's young adult novels, I was thrilled to discover she wrote romantic suspense adults books. The big draw for me was the exoticness of the setting…Turkey. There is very little action and lots of description and dialog…have to kind of change your mindset when reading these older books. A fun reading escape
Sheri South
Much as I devoured romantic suspense during my teen years in the '70s, I'm finding now that many of the heroes are too "alpha" for my taste, and there's not enough romance to suit me. I still enjoy the exotic settings, but I find Mary Stewart holds up to re-reading better than Phyllis Whitney does.
I absolutely love gothic romances with all of the mystery and the strong female characters. Phyllis A. Whitney is an amazing author incorporating an unforgettable story with amazing characters.
Fun story but a little cheesy for me. I would not call this a romance but others think so. Little odd for that scenerio. Nice read. If the ending was different I maybe would have given it a 3 star.
See Quicksilver Pool.
Rosa marked it as to-read
Nov 23, 2015
Danny added it
Nov 22, 2015
Cathy marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2015
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2015
Leah Merrill
Leah Merrill marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2015
Erin marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2015
Amber marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Georgia De Lano
Georgia De Lano marked it as to-read
Oct 29, 2015
Danna marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2015
  • Darkwater
  • The Secret Woman
  • Thunder on the Right
  • The Waiting Sands
  • The Grey Beginning
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...