Start by marking “Mystery on the Isle of Skye” as Want to Read:
Mystery on the Isle of Skye

Mystery on the Isle of Skye

Following instructions contained in the pating gift from her Grandmother when she set out for Isle Of Skye, would lead to startling surprises for Cathy MacLeod. She and her standoffish cousin Don, would be drawn in a search for answers to baffling puzzles. New friends and thrilling adventures wait for Cathy where she learned to love the mountains and legendary magic of her ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published January 28th 1991 by Fawcett (first published 1955)

To ask other readers questions about Mystery on the Isle of Skye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mystery on the Isle of Skye

Nov 04, 2014 C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve wanted “Mystery On The Isle Of Skye” for years and encountered a perfect copy. Phyllis A. Whitney’s mysteries are worth reading anyplace you can acquire them. This one starts out with the awe of travel in 1955; when a plane ride would be momentous. Kathy is meeting her Mom’s family for the first time, en route to her Grandma’s birthplace. She encourages Kathy to explore Skye while she is healing in hospital.

Aside from this airport atmosphere that has become common for us, this novel is time
Laura Bang
Oct 09, 2015 Laura Bang rated it liked it
When Cathy's grandmother falls ill, she has to stay with other relatives for a while. Her uncle and his family are off on a trip to the Isle of Skye, where their family is from, so Cathy is invited to tag along. Her grandmother arranges an adventure for her, by way of sending her off with a carry-on bag full of packages to be opened at certain points of her journey. (International adventures arranged through letters/packages is one of my fave things -- like Maureen Johnson's 13 Little Blue Envel ...more
Oct 05, 2014 Nancy rated it really liked it
When I was a little girl, this was a favorite book of mine; so much so that I've always wanted to go to Skye, even though I have little Scottish heritage or know much about its history. I finally went, and it was delightful. Decided to re-read the book, and am so glad I did! It has its weaknesses, but overall, it really stood the test of time. The only ways in which it felt "dated" were welcome, little glimpses of how the world has changed since it was written. A charming book, although less a " ...more
Sep 11, 2009 Crystal rated it it was ok
Shelves: juvenile
boring. that's about it. I picked this up because I enjoyed Lois Lenski's work, and I love anything about Scotland. I thought for sure I would enjoy this. But it was dull. You can old fashioned in a charming way, like Little Women or Anne of Green Gables, or you can have just dated, like this book. I did learn a little about the Isle of Skye that was interesting, but otherwise it was just a story about a girl trying to find a family, but disguised as a mystery. oh well. I've read worse.
Terri Edwards
Oct 02, 2013 Terri Edwards rated it liked it
The only reason I'm giving this one three stars is because it was definitely written for kids and didn't really appeal to me; otherwise, Phyllis Whitney's descriptive writing and her ability to teach me about other places is, as always, a pleasant experience.
Oct 03, 2014 Cheryl rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, teenshelf
Not her best work, and it hasn't aged well. Even when this was fresh and new you would have had to groove on your Scotch/Celtic heritage to really enjoy it. The characters were flat and exist only to move through a guided tour of Skye.
Jan 27, 2015 Amber rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was an entertaining young adult mystery. The main appeal for me was Isle of Skye, Scotland. It is now my dream vacation. I had fun seeing it through the eyes of the characters.
Feb 20, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2010
Phyllis Whitney was one of my favorite authors when I was younger. This is just a re-read of one of my favorites to see if I still like it so many years later.
Dec 30, 2015 Allie added it
I remember reading this a long time ago... it immediately rang a bell while I saw it in "Quidditch Through the Ages."
Aug 25, 2015 Judy rated it really liked it
Phyllis A Whitney was one of my favorites as a kid! I'd love to get my mitts on her books and read them again:)
Charlotte Osborn-bensaada
I just read another book set in the Hebrides and it reminded of this book I read way back when I was in 4th grade.
Rebecca Berinstein
Aug 04, 2012 Rebecca Berinstein rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
A very interesting mystery and puzzle. even with countless rereadings I can never figure out the ending.
Nov 03, 2008 CLM rated it really liked it
My favorite Phyllis Whitney - American Cathy visits relatives in Scotland, where she is drawn into a mystery.
May 17, 2009 JZ rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
I read this as a young teen, and loved it then. I guess that it would read as dated now.
Feb 03, 2013 Kathleen rated it it was ok
Different cover than shown. mainly bought because Calhouns are from Isle of Skye!
Oct 03, 2010 Scoozer marked it as to-read
I read all of Phyllis A. Whitney's books as a teen and want to reread them.
Dec 26, 2010 Michelle rated it it was ok
O.K. plot--nice ending--easy reading--not suspenseful
xProGamerGurlx rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2016
Éowyn marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2016
Diane Philyaw
Diane Philyaw marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2016
Robin Pitts
Robin Pitts marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Hazel rated it it was amazing
Sep 21, 2016
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Elisa marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2016
Beckie marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Sylvia Duncan
Sylvia Duncan marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
  • The Mystery on the Mississippi
  • The Pink Motel
  • White Shell Woman (Charlie Moon, #7)
  • Stowaway to the Mushroom Planet (Mushroom Planet, #2)
  • Darkwater
  • Danny Dunn and the Homework Machine (Danny Dunn, #3)
  • Meg and the Disappearing Diamonds
  • Curse of the Kings
  • Homeward the Seeking Heart (Orphan Train West, #2)
  • Earthway (Ella Clah, #14)
  • The Haunted Lady
  • The Marvelous Inventions of Alvin Fernald
  • Mystery in Arizona (Trixie Belden, #6)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...