Mystery on the Isle of Skye

Mystery on the Isle of Skye

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Winging over the ocean on her way from America to Scotland and the Misty Isle of Skye, Cathy MacLeod finds the events of the past few weeks hard to believe. An orphan, Cathy has been brought up by a beloved grandmother. But now her grandmother is ill and Cathy has to get used to the idea of making her home with another relative -- probably her Aunt Bertha, a well-intention...more
Mass Market Paperback, 192 pages
Published January 28th 1991 by Fawcett (first published 1955)

Cheryl
Not her best work, and it hasn't aged well. Even when this was fresh and new you would have had to groove on your Scotch/Celtic heritage to really enjoy it. The characters were flat and exist only to move through a guided tour of Skye.
Crystal
boring. that's about it. I picked this up because I enjoyed Lois Lenski's work, and I love anything about Scotland. I thought for sure I would enjoy this. But it was dull. You can old fashioned in a charming way, like Little Women or Anne of Green Gables, or you can have just dated, like this book. I did learn a little about the Isle of Skye that was interesting, but otherwise it was just a story about a girl trying to find a family, but disguised as a mystery. oh well. I've read worse.
Teresa Edwards
The only reason I'm giving this one three stars is because it was definitely written for kids and didn't really appeal to me; otherwise, Phyllis Whitney's descriptive writing and her ability to teach me about other places is, as always, a pleasant experience.
Phyllis Whitney was one of my favorite authors when I was younger. This is just a re-read of one of my favorites to see if I still like it so many years later.
Rebecca Berinstein
A very interesting mystery and puzzle. even with countless rereadings I can never figure out the ending.
CLM
My favorite Phyllis Whitney - American Cathy visits relatives in Scotland, where she is drawn into a mystery.
Jz
May 17, 2009 Jz rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
I read this as a young teen, and loved it then. I guess that it would read as dated now.
Kathleen
Different cover than shown. mainly bought because Calhouns are from Isle of Skye!
Scoozer
Oct 03, 2010 Scoozer marked it as to-read
I read all of Phyllis A. Whitney's books as a teen and want to reread them.
Michelle
O.K. plot--nice ending--easy reading--not suspenseful
Catherine Graham
Catherine Graham marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Lindenizen
Lindenizen marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2014
Paige Rozell
Paige Rozell marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Erin
Erin added it
Jun 04, 2014
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Mary Beth
Mary Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2014
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Sami Sayed
Sami Sayed marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2014
Annnichols
Annnichols marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Daniele Fondi
Daniele Fondi marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Lori Mccraney
Lori Mccraney marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2014
Shona Eastlick
Shona Eastlick marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
151920
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -
Phyllis Ayame Whitney (September 9, 1903 – February 8, 2008) was an American mystery writer. Rare for her genre, she wrote mysteries for both the juvenile and the adult markets, many of which feature exotic locations. A review in The New York Times once dubbed her "The Queen of the American Gothics".

She was born in Japan to American parents and spent her ear...more
More about Phyllis A. Whitney...
Hunter's Green The Singing Stones The Turquoise Mask Amethyst Dreams Window on the Square