Start by marking “Anne of Green Gables” as Want to Read:
Anne of Green Gables

Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables #1)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  400,182 ratings  ·  8,809 reviews
Since its publication in 1908, Anne of Green Gables has become one of the most-read and best-loved stories in the world. In print for almost 100 years, this Canadian classic has been translated into over 20 languages and has sold approximately 50 million copies worldwide. As inspiring today as it was in 1908, Anne of Green Gables remains a testament to the powers of hope, ...more
Hardcover, 100th Anniversary Edition, 320 pages
Published February 5th 2008 by Viking Canada (first published 1908)

To ask other readers questions about Anne of Green Gables, please sign up.

Jessica Turner Don't forget Seti! In Egypt, once upon a time before the men were gods, he had fair skin and red hair and they associated red and white with evil the…moreDon't forget Seti! In Egypt, once upon a time before the men were gods, he had fair skin and red hair and they associated red and white with evil the way we might the color black. He was stigmatized - but then, he was a murderer. One poses the question of nature vs. nurture in those cases. Did the abuse drive him mad...? Very possible.(less)

Shannon
Feb 27, 2009 Shannon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Strong Girls or those are raising them
Recommended to Shannon by: Mikkee, Tiana
I don't often give books five stars and as I neared the end of this book, I gave some thought to how many stars this book deserved. I've read the Anne of Green Gables series once before - over twenty years ago. In spite of the amount of time that has elapsed, I clearly recall reading the last book in the series very slowly and thinking to myself, "I will be so sad to not be able to read about Anne anymore." When I picked up this book a few days ago to re-read it, I found within a few chapters th ...more
Samantha Penrose
Ive decided that instead of reviewing this book, I will copy my favorite passages....passages that capture what I love about the book.....
Page 180 describes Anne perfectly, "The downfall of some dear hope or plan plunged Anne into "deeps of affliction." The fulfilment thereof exalted her to dizzy realms of delight."
I love the way Anne thinks...I love the way she jumps from thing to thing in a frenzy of thoughts.....

Page 44 the chapter begins..."Do you know," said Anne confidently, "I've made up
Audrey  *Ebook and Romance Lover*
Finally: Full review written December 17th, 2013 and edited the 19t:)

***5 beautiful "Kindred Spirits" stars!!***

description

Sighs...Anne of Green Gables and her crazy doings will forever stay in my heart <3. Can there be such a crazy, beautiful, kindred spirit soul as Anne? No, I do not think so (there are two exceptions: Miranda Cheever and Penelope :D). This precious book is the first out of the many books in the Anne of Green Gables series.

I think many of you know what Anne of Green Gables is about
Jo
"I don't believe I'd really want to be a sensible person, because they are so unromantic."

A series of letters.

Dear Jo (aged 11),
Get off The Sims and pick up a copy of Anne of Green Gables and read it now. It will change your life.
Best wishes,
Jo (aged 22)

Dear Ms Montgomery,
I would like to take your beautiful prose and drape it over the washing line in my back garden to create a mystical den that only I and my friends may enter.
Who would I have to talk to for this to happen?
Monica!
So about eight hours before Husband and I were supposed to leave for our honeymoon, I noticed that the only two books I had on hand were hardcover copies of I Hunt Killers and Anna Dressed in Blood, and that there was no way either of those books would hold me over for two weeks. They might not even get me through the flight.

Panic ensued.

So I flew as fast as my fingers would take me to Project Gutenberg and grabbed myself some books that I hadn’t read in a while. Like Black Beauty. And Sherlock
Lora
Jan 10, 2012 Lora rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of children's classics
Recommended to Lora by: Jo
Anne of Green Gables is the story of a young orphaned girl named, you guessed it, Anne. Born in Nova Scotia only to lose both of her parents from the fever at the age of three months, Anne has grown up in many households, never being able to stay in one place for long. As you can imagine, this has left young Anne feeling needy and unwanted.
And when siblings Marilla and Matthew decide to adopt a boy to help work on their farm, they never expect to get a girl instead. Naturally, their first instin
Ingela
Dec 19, 2013 Ingela rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every young girl I know
Loved by me, 5 BIG Stars

photo chinup_zps09268183.gif
Amazing Anne Shirley you should be a role model for many girls. Brave, strong willed and with such great dreams and big imagination.

Gilbert Blythe was perhaps my first Book Boyfriend. Oh, what I was in love with him. Lovely, lovely Anne and Gilbert, what a good and nice young lovestory. Everything in these books are so wonderful. Then there's the great TV series.*) I loved it all ... and still do.

I LIKE - enormously when I was young...

photo tumblr_lmws940vaG1qcn7d7_zps748c94b0.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*) The fun and w
Maggie
DRAMATIS PERSONAE ...................................... Anne Shirley

It's not often that a book lives up to its public-shaming-if-you-haven't-read hype. This book lives up to its 104 YEAR HYPE. I almost divorced my childhood for not reading this then. So many of the words that describe Anne are ones that too many girls are running away from today -- imaginative, impertinent, outspoken, smart, driven. If you have a problem with them, you can take it up with the slate being cracked over your head.
Franklin Peach
To be brutally honest, I was disappointed. I found Anne quite often to be annoying and found my self skimming through many of her rambling soliloquies. Many (especially those of the female gender I suppose) may find her apt to talk ad nauseum to be one of her most enduring qualities, I however did not.

I discovered that it was difficult for me to continue reading once the characters had been established, that is I had no motivation to continue reading as there appeared to be no underlying plot to
K.D. Absolutely
Dec 22, 2012 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: 501 Must Read Books (Children)
Shelves: 501, childrens, classics
What I like about this book is the "humaness" of the 11-y/o Anne. She's a natural. She tries to triumph over the odds, i.e., being an orphan, having a silly red hair and being unwanted by the lady of the house where she lives after she is sent out by the orphanage. She wants to fit in and by her loquaciousness, precociousness and sheer breadth of imagination, she is accepted and finally loved.

The book is easy to read that is typical of children's books. However, Montomery's main strength is her
Sonia Gomes
Nov 16, 2010 Sonia Gomes rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who like the simple things in life
Recommended to Sonia by: Gutenberg e-books
I loved Anne, really loved her. I have read reviews which say that Anne (spelled with an e !)is silly, vain, hot-tempered. Oh yes, she is all that and much more. Anne is a human being brimming with dreams and most of all ready to enjoy life, not in a jaded fashion, but how it should be enjoyed, she loves every tiny fern, every little flower, even puffed sleeves! Her capacity to enjoy life is amazing. That is what Mathew must have seen when he was taking a skinny, redhead girl 'home' A tempest ha ...more
Tiffany
Sep 24, 2008 Tiffany rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Shelves: fiction
Becky
Let me just say up front: I loved this book.

I tried reading this when I was young, and I couldn't get into it. I was fairly prejudiced against it as well, because apparently I fancied myself to be some great judge of literature at 8 years old, and any time this book was mentioned I'd start right up with the "Oh, I couldn't get into that book... it's boring..." spiel and just write it off completely.

Luckily, a combination of factors converged at the right moment in time to allow for me to put a
Becky
Montgomery, L.M. 1908. Anne of Green Gables.

I first 'discovered' Anne Shirley through watching the 1985 and 1987 films by Kevin Sullivan/Wonderworks when they aired on my local PBS station. As far as I'm concerned, these two are the ONLY films that are 'real.' Meaning that the monstrosity of a film released in 2000 doesn't exist at all. It's something that should be avoided at all costs. It is evil, evil, pure evil.

It would have been around sixth or seventh grade (1989-1990 or 1990-1991) that I
Alex
An Enchanting and Spellbinding Story of Childhood

There is something enchanting in the innocence of children and their extraordinary imaginations. We follow Anne, a hot-tempered, fiery, passionate, and highly imaginative girl, on her adventures on a small island in Canada.

It doesn't matter how old you are, this book will touch you. The magic of this book is in the imperfections, trials, and tribulations of our protagonist Anne. The reader follows her on her adventures and mishaps, with much laug
April
All of my reviews are spoiler free (unless stated otherwise) so you can go ahead and read my review!

Plot: ★★★★.5
Anne of Green Gables follows a young orphan named Anne Shirley who finds herself being taken to what she thought was going to be a home for her, but it turns out that the characters who sent for her actually wanted a boy. She spends her time trying to win them over so they will adopt her and in the process, she makes lifelong friends and finds a family.
This is such a beautiful story.
Sylvia
Kisah yang benar-benar inspiratif. Saya benar-benar kagum pada penulisnya. Membutuhkan imajinasi yang tinggi untuk bisa menciptakan tokoh dengan karakter yang memiliki daya hayal luar biasa plus kata-kata 'canggih' nya. Anne (dengan akhiran 'e' tentu saja) benar-benar telah membuat saya jatuh cinta dengan keceriaannya, keterbukaannya, kejujurannya, dan aksi nya yang selalu berani bahkan sering menantang bahaya.

Dan seperti juga Miss Barry tua yang senang menyimak kata bijak yang keluar dari mulut
Jinky
What a delightful book! Reading this truly made me happy. Anne's character was a hoot!! I found myself giggling throughout the book. Her quirkiness was endearing. Her view of life was fascinating. She had the spunk that you can't help but love! She brought the kid out of me and it felt wonderful.

I loved everything about this book. The beautiful setting, the phenomenal cast of characters, the storyline, the ease of read, etc. It also had everything as well ... adventure, fun, laughs, imagination,
Idle Hippo
Abis baca buku iseng-iseng baca review orang laen dan jadi kaget sendiri karena dari friendlist gw cuman ada satu laki-laki aja yang udah baca buku ini *aki-aki bule veteran PD II kelahiran tahun 30an lage* Wah, iseng lagi mriksa tiga halaman orang2 yang ngasi review, cuman nemu satu laki-laki (bule lagi). Sempat terlintas dikepala.. Halah, jangan-jangan gw baca chicklit lage neh.. hehehe, bodo ah, yang penting gue suka buku ini.

jadi begini ceritanya...
Anne itu anak perempuan yatim piatu berumur
Oscar
A finales de los 80, cuando sólo existían dos cadenas de televisión, la primera, en su horario de sobremesa, emitió una serie memorable: 'Ana de las Tejas Verdes'. El argumento, los paisajes, la música, los personajes, todo era maravilloso. Posteriormente, he vuelto a verla y de nuevo me ha encantado, esta vez con el añadido de una cierta nostalgia por el tiempo transcurrido.

Tal vez sea este el problema, que tengo la historia tan metida dentro que no he llegado a disfrutar enteramente de este li
Kim

While listening to the audiobook of this novel over the past few days, I started wondering just how old I was when I first read Anne of Green Gables . I don’t know for sure, but the timing of various events in my life leads me to conclude that I was about eight or nine and certainly no older than ten. Unlike many women my age, I have not re-read it since. I did not develop the passion for Anne Shirley and her life shared by many of my contemporaries and by women up to three generations older tha
Pamela(AllHoney)
A beloved children's classic set on Prince Edward's Island in Canada in the early 1900s. Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert, older siblings, want to adopt a boy to help them around the farm but instead of a boy, they end up with a girl. A redheaded imaginative and dramatic young 11 year old named Anne Shirley with an e.

An adorable and delightful read. I can easily see why it is a favorite of so many people. I did not read this when I was a child and would probably gush over it even more if I had. Howe
Rachel
In a word: Trite. I know that sounds snobby, but come on. Anne is the epitome of a Mary Sue character. Awh, poor thing, she's too skinny, and her red hair is too unique, and she's just so quirky! Isn't she just the perfect little flawed heroine!? Actually, no. She's obnoxious. Even as a child I couldn't buy in to this garbage.
Bonnie
“Isn’t it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive—it’s such an interesting world. It wouldn’t be half so interesting if we knew all about everything, would it? There’d be no scope for imagination then, would there?”

Anne of Green Gables was written in 1908 yet the magic of this childhood classic continues to charm readers over 100 years later. Even at 28 years old, Anne managed to charm me. Yes, this is actually my first real read o
Weni
Marilla dan Matthew Cuthbert ingin mengadopsi anak laki2 untuk mengurus rumah yang mereka sebut Green Gables, di desa Avonlea. Matthew tak kuasa menolak ketika kekeliruan terjadi. Yang datang bukanlah anak laki2 melainkan seorang gadis yatim piatu berambut merah bernama Anne Shirley. Marilla yang awalnya bertekad mengembalikan Anne ke panti asuhan akhirnya luluh dan menyetujui rencana Matthew untuk mengadopsi gadis itu.

Anne digambarkan sebagai gadis yang ekspresif dan sangat imajinatif. Bicarany
I am probably the only adult women in the world who has not read this book so after years of it nagging at me I finally read it. Like everyone else, loved it. It was full of charm. If I would have read this years ago I would not have enjoyed it as much as I just did. I found it soothing at times to read of Marrilla's concern for Anne development and could relate to it so much myself having a bunch of silly little girls in my house. Besides much laughter it gave me much hope for my girls to turn ...more
Allison (The Allure of Books)
This was my first book love, and will probably continue to be the greatest as well. I have re-read it more then any other book combined most likely. The charming and lovable Anne Shirley is one of the most captivating and original characters in literature. The world L.M. Montgomery created on Prince Edward Island is without equal: every single character in this series is beautiful and original (yes, even Josie Pye and Charlie Sloan).

Also, I have spent my entire life pining after Gilbert Blythe.
Shawne
There's a certain magic that lingers over books you loved reading (and re-reading) as a child. It's undefinable but it lasts even into adulthood - you can read these books again decades later and still find comfort in the words and characters you revelled in when you were a child. That doesn't mean you don't see the book for what it is though - sometimes you know that the book really isn't great, but because it kept you company in the dark or when your friends forgot you, it doesn't matter.

I'm g
Nilam Suri
aku mau menenangkan diri gara2 gempa dulu yaaa...masih pusing nih kepalanya,jadi reviewnya menyusul.

intinya...syeeediiiiiiiiiiiih!!!

________________________________

ah, hatiku tergetar membaca cerita tentang si gadis wortel ini *woops*
apakah kau suka berimajinasi? aku tak bisa membayangkan seseorang yang sama sekali tak mempunyai ruang untuk imajinasinya. seharusnya setiap orang menyisihkan sedikit waktu luangnya untuk duduk termenung di depan kaca jendela, dan membiarkan pikiran mereka berkelana
Stephanie
Jan 16, 2012 Stephanie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: middle grade readers and the younger YA community
I don't get why everyone keeps going on about Gilbert Blythe when he's hardly in this book. To my disappointment it's all Anne's fault and her obstinate efforts to remain a grudge holder for 5 years. Five years she held a grudge for him for calling her "carrots", even thought he immediately apologized and sucked up for two years; and yet, Josie Pye has done worse 10x over and Anne remained cordial with her. I don't get it.

As an Adult this rambling is rather immature and I don't contest that. It
The Bookends...: Anne of Green Gables 2 4 Nov 08, 2014 12:58PM
Series Readers An...: Anne of Green Gables by L.M Montgomery 16 29 Oct 30, 2014 06:56PM
Gilbert Blythe 112 913 Oct 23, 2014 12:28PM
Red Hair??? 37 464 Oct 22, 2014 04:51AM
Latvija: Jauniešu ~augusts~ Anna no Zaļajiem jumtiem 6 46 Sep 10, 2014 07:51AM
I loved reading ________ with my daughter when she was growing up. 15 82 Aug 03, 2014 10:12AM
  • The Long Winter (Little House, #6)
  • Betsy's Wedding (Betsy-Tacy, #10)
  • Little Men (Little Women #2)
  • A Little Princess
  • Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle's Farm
  • Szósta klepka (Jeżycjada, #1)
  • Theater Shoes (Shoes, #4)
  • Rebecca of Sunnybrook Farm
  • Caddie Woodlawn
Lucy Maud Montgomery was a Canadian author, best known for a series of novels beginning with Anne of Green Gables, published in 1908.

The author of the famous Canadian novel Anne of Green Gables, Lucy Maud Montgomery, was born at Clifton, Prince Edward Island, Nov. 30, 1874. She came to live at Leaskdale, north of Uxbridge Ontario, in 1911 after her wedding with Rev. Ewen Macdonald on July 11, 1911
More about L.M. Montgomery...
The Complete Anne of Green Gables Boxed Set (Anne of Green Gables, #1-8) Anne of the Island (Anne of Green Gables, #3) Anne of Avonlea (Anne of Green Gables, #2) Anne's House of Dreams (Anne of Green Gables, #5) Anne of Windy Poplars (Anne of Green Gables, #4)

“It's been my experience that you can nearly always enjoy things if you make up your mind firmly that you will.” 2342 likes
“Kindred spirits are not so scarce as I used to think. It's splendid to find out there are so many of them in the world.” 2124 likes