Start by marking “The Phantom Freighter (Hardy Boys, #26)” as Want to Read:
The Phantom Freighter (Hardy Boys, #26)

The Phantom Freighter (The Hardy Boys #26)

3.7 of 5 stars 3.70  ·  rating details  ·  949 ratings  ·  16 reviews
The Hardy brothers embark on a freighter trip under mysterious circumstances and find themselves involved with a smuggling ring.
Published January 1st 1947 by Grosset & Dunlap

To ask other readers questions about The Phantom Freighter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Phantom Freighter

Richard Thompson
I picked this book up second-hand at Page Boy Books with the idea that it might be an interesting historically in the context of the Bump Memorial Library. I read a lot of The Hardy Boys mysteries when I was a boy.

We had fairly low expectations and were pleasantly surprised — initially — that the writing was pretty solid, the characters engaging and the plot, though a little lumpy (The "job" that Mr. McClintock's engages Frank and Joe to do made no sense.) was just believable enough. New mysteri
Ben Kanieski
Franklin W. Dixon
copyright 1947 by Simon & Schuster
mystery

This story starts with two detectives' aunt not being able to receive a carton in the mail. Their father is an actual detective and his case ends up crossing with the two young detectives trying to find the carton. The two boys (detectives) are caught in various traps along the way. They are very determined and eventually find the criminals with the help of family and friends.

The theme that the author presents in this story is to ne
Eric Espiritu

Eric Espiritu 1st period

Title: The Phantom Freighter

Author: Franklin W. Dixon

A. Teens who like mystery

B. 4 stars

C. My thought on this book was really confusing at first. From random wooden boxes showing up on their porch and not being there's. And enemies using peoples houses when they are gone. I have one opinion on one of the characters. Mr. McClintock was rude through out the entire book! He was only nice when Chet Morton and Ms. Hardy and stuff in common but most of all he was just rude
Catherine Woodman
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps.
The two boys live in the fictional city of Bayport (on Barmet Bay) with their famous father, Fenton Hardy, a private detective formerly with the New York Police Department, their mother Laura Hardy (erroneously called Mildred in The Flying Express), and their Aunt Gertrude, a char
Jeremiah
Entry 1-
Frank and Joe Hardy are the protagonists. The smugglers are the antagonists. Chet and Mr. Hardy are also protaginists.

Entry 2-
The setting is where the case takes them. The theme is don't characterize a person from how he looks. The point of view is third- person.

Entry 3-
Mr. McClintock hires the boys to get him a vacation that he likes. They find out that people don't want them to go on any freighters. The phantom freighter leads the boys to the discovery of the smugglers and forgers.
Joy
I really enjoyed this! I never really got into the hardy boys as a kid, I was really into Nancy Drew though. If you enjoyed Nancy and gang you'll love these guys!
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Benjamin Plume
So many of these took their cue from more adult stories, and dumbed them down enough for kids to get them. I think thats what made them so great.
Dakota
One of the first 100 books I read as a kid. Loved the simplicity and it made me feel really smart to read the Hardy Boys :)
Ron
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Marts  (Thinker)
The Hardy end up on a freighter and get tied up in a smuggling ring
Valkyrie Oracle
My book was published in 1970 and has the 1970 cover.
Ethan E
Recommends it for: JF Dix
Shelves: juniorfiction
Dixon, Franklin W.
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 25, 2014
Dominic Lengwin
Dominic Lengwin marked it as to-read
Dec 21, 2014
Aleksi
Aleksi marked it as to-read
Dec 17, 2014
Reader252
Reader252 marked it as to-read
Dec 14, 2014
Meiyan
Meiyan marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Beckiecookie
Beckiecookie marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
  • The Mystery of the Invisible Dog (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #23)
  • The Phantom of the Opera
  • The Mystery of the Dead Man's Riddle (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #22)
  • The Ringmaster's Secret (Nancy Drew, #31)
  • The Mystery of the Coughing Dragon (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators #14)
  • The Call of the Wild
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...
The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1) The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2) The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3) Hardy Boys Complete Series Set Books 1-66 (The Hardy Boys #1-66) The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)