Start by marking “The Phantom Freighter (Hardy Boys, #26)” as Want to Read:
The Phantom Freighter (Hardy Boys, #26)

The Phantom Freighter (Hardy Boys #26)

3.73  ·  Rating Details ·  1,251 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
The Hardy brothers embark on a freighter trip under mysterious circumstances and find themselves involved with a smuggling ring.
Published 1947 by Grosset and Dunlap

Edward Lorn
May 19, 2015 Edward Lorn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the very first books I read. I love this story to this day.

Van
Oct 04, 2016 Van rated it really liked it
I Thinks this book is flat out awesome there's two boys who meet this man who's willing to go on a trip with the boys. And he says he has a secret mission for them, but he doesn't reveal it for a long time, and they found out the man isn't amused easily he almost hates every kind of trip they finally found one kind of thing that he liked but none of the captains lets them aboard even captains that take passengers, but now they don't and they boys wanna know why. If you're a fan of Nancy Drew Se ...more
Ben Kanieski
Jan 13, 2012 Ben Kanieski rated it really liked it
Franklin W. Dixon
copyright 1947 by Simon & Schuster
mystery

This story starts with two detectives' aunt not being able to receive a carton in the mail. Their father is an actual detective and his case ends up crossing with the two young detectives trying to find the carton. The two boys (detectives) are caught in various traps along the way. They are very determined and eventually find the criminals with the help of family and friends.

The theme that the author presents in this story is to ne
Richard Thompson
I picked this book up second-hand at Page Boy Books with the idea that it might be an interesting historically in the context of the Bump Memorial Library. I read a lot of The Hardy Boys mysteries when I was a boy.

We had fairly low expectations and were pleasantly surprised — initially — that the writing was pretty solid, the characters engaging and the plot, though a little lumpy (The "job" that Mr. McClintock's engages Frank and Joe to do made no sense.) was just believable enough. New mysteri
Ardee-El
Appalling. To think that these books have been a staple of children__s literature for nearly ninety years is appalling. Children deserve better. The fact that I__m up to number 26 is a testament either to my tenacity or gullibility; I kept hoping they__d get better, that they would in some way, shape or form come close to the Disney version of The Tower Treasure (a/k/a The Mystery of the Applegate Treasure). No such luck.

I__d like to think that the original version of the Hardy Boys mysteries we
Eric Espiritu
Nov 24, 2013 Eric Espiritu rated it really liked it

Eric Espiritu 1st period

Title: The Phantom Freighter

Author: Franklin W. Dixon

A. Teens who like mystery

B. 4 stars

C. My thought on this book was really confusing at first. From random wooden boxes showing up on their porch and not being there's. And enemies using peoples houses when they are gone. I have one opinion on one of the characters. Mr. McClintock was rude through out the entire book! He was only nice when Chet Morton and Ms. Hardy and stuff in common but most of all he was just rude
Jeremiah
Apr 29, 2012 Jeremiah rated it it was amazing
Shelves: done-4
Entry 1-
Frank and Joe Hardy are the protagonists. The smugglers are the antagonists. Chet and Mr. Hardy are also protaginists.

Entry 2-
The setting is where the case takes them. The theme is don't characterize a person from how he looks. The point of view is third- person.

Entry 3-
Mr. McClintock hires the boys to get him a vacation that he likes. They find out that people don't want them to go on any freighters. The phantom freighter leads the boys to the discovery of the smugglers and forgers.
Catherine Woodman
Jul 29, 2011 Catherine Woodman rated it liked it
The classic boy detectives by Frank Dixon--I read ALL of them in my younger years, one I ran out of Nancy Drew books. The Hardy Boys are brother amateur detectives, aspiring to follow in their famous father's footsteps.
The two boys live in the fictional city of Bayport (on Barmet Bay) with their famous father, Fenton Hardy, a private detective formerly with the New York Police Department, their mother Laura Hardy (erroneously called Mildred in The Flying Express), and their Aunt Gertrude, a char
Kristofer
Jul 12, 2016 Kristofer rated it liked it
In which Aunt Gertrude hides secret letters (the minx), Mrs. Hardy knows which of the Boys' friends is strongest (the fox), and nobody really knows what they're doing and everything gets resolved by accident (the fuck).
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I think the Hardy Boy books helped me with learning deductive and inductive skills. I had to work through logic. Who knew? I enjoyed all these books.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it
So many of these took their cue from more adult stories, and dumbed them down enough for kids to get them. I think thats what made them so great.
Ron
Aug 27, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
Excellent series for young readers - highly recommended.
I read these books when I was 10 - 15 years of age.
Dakota
Feb 04, 2012 Dakota rated it really liked it
Shelves: frommyyouth
One of the first 100 books I read as a kid. Loved the simplicity and it made me feel really smart to read the Hardy Boys :)
Joyful
Dec 13, 2011 Joyful rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library, 2011
I really enjoyed this! I never really got into the hardy boys as a kid, I was really into Nancy Drew though. If you enjoyed Nancy and gang you'll love these guys!
Jaden
Jaden rated it it was amazing
Dec 02, 2015
Viper
Viper rated it liked it
Aug 20, 2007
Scott Lee
Scott Lee rated it liked it
Aug 27, 2012
Mensagem
Mensagem rated it it was amazing
Jan 21, 2016
Trent  Cole
Trent Cole rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2011
Neil Clement
Neil Clement rated it really liked it
Nov 06, 2013
Robert Mitchell
Robert Mitchell rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014
Gustav
Gustav rated it really liked it
May 30, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2011
Deborah
Deborah rated it liked it
Jul 09, 2015
Sasha
Sasha rated it liked it
Aug 12, 2013
Kodelle
Kodelle rated it liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Avinash K
Avinash K rated it it was ok
Jun 13, 2011
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2015
Jerry A.
Jerry A. rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2014
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2012
  • Mystery at the Ski Jump (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #29)
  • The Bobbsey Twins and the Mystery at Snow Lodge (Bobbsey Twins, #5)
  • The Mystery of the Sinister Scarecrow (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #29)
  • The Mystery of the Headless Horse (Alfred Hitchcock and The Three Investigators, #26)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

Hardy Boys (1 - 10 of 190 books)
  • The Tower Treasure (Hardy Boys, #1)
  • The House on the Cliff (Hardy Boys, #2)
  • The Secret of the Old Mill (Hardy Boys, #3)
  • The Missing Chums (Hardy Boys, #4)
  • Hunting for Hidden Gold (Hardy Boys, #5)
  • The Shore Road Mystery (Hardy Boys, #6)
  • The Secret of the Caves (Hardy Boys, #7)
  • The Mystery of Cabin Island (Hardy Boys, #8)
  • The Great Airport Mystery (Hardy Boys, #9)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)

“with a duffel bag over his shoulder.” 0 likes