Start by marking “A Journal: Life-Changing Magic, Spark Joy Every Day” as Want to Read:
A Journal: Life-Changing Magic, Spark Joy Every Day

A Journal: Life-Changing Magic, Spark Joy Every Day

Blank daily journal (365-day, 3-year), featuring quotes from Marie Kondo's The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing.
Published December 29th 2015 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about A Journal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Journal

Anna Bunce
Jan 04, 2016 Anna Bunce marked it as to-read
At first I was a skeptic: "Only keep things that spark joy? Come'on lady." But the more I followed Marie Kondo's advice the easier I found it to get rid of things I no longer need and simplify my life. For someone who is extremely sentimental the anthropomorphic tendencies she has towards describing objects and treating them made sense and really helped me say goodbye to things I no longer need or which no longer "spark joy". Love this book. I've read it and re-read it numerous times.
Carianne Carleo-Evangelist
Oh my. I think I realized why I don't like the self help genre.

Some of her tips are super practical and I've found myself implementing them already, but there's a definite element of insanity. I am not that person who will thank my clothes for keeping me warm or apologize to socks for forcing them to remain in a state of tension because I balled them up. Just, no.

That this is billed as a bestseller in the UK, Germany and Japan speaks volumes, American homes are larger but are also home to a lo
Megan Cornish
Dec 15, 2015 Megan Cornish rated it really liked it
(this review is incomplete without the pictures: see my full post at http://meganreads.com/2015/12/16/life...)

Confession: I didn’t read the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up. Sure, I flipped through it a few times on my way past the Costco book tables, but I had a hard time getting over the emotional tightness that scrunched up in my stomach every time I saw the words “tidying up” on the cover. What’s that emotional tightness called again? Oh yeah- guilt.

I’m not really a tidying-up kind of a gir
Teela
Feb 25, 2016 Teela rated it really liked it
Life changing magic-Spark Joy every day

Looking across the conference table I heard her say, "I can see through the stress you have going on and know that you are a creative, fun and beautiful person". At that time I was thinking why can't I pull myself out of this muck and get joy back in my life. That day I reached for Marie Kondo's little book in journal form life changing magic spark joy every day.

This small Jan 1 - Dec. 31 journal is sprinkled with Kondo's inspirational quotes such as, "pou
Becky Durbin
Dec 04, 2016 Becky Durbin rated it did not like it
Shelves: quit-reading
This turned out to basically be a blank book. I was hoping for tips or reminders.
Marianna T.S. Wentworth
I like the concept and attempted to keep up with the tasks- it is not practical for a house with multiple children, especially if some are tidier than others. I am looking at my clothing differently, and was able to give away a lot of things I already enjoyed thoroughly- but I simply could not throw away photos and other sentimental. It may be easier for the young and single or elderly and alone, but not so much even for a tidy mother of 3.
Angie
Nov 13, 2016 Angie rated it liked it
A bit too preachy and, for someone who's lived in the same house for 28 years and shared it with 5 other people at various times, Kondo's particular process is a bit impractical. Still, it is an inspiring and helpful tool for the beginner on her road to simplifying life.
Wendyjune
Nov 06, 2016 Wendyjune rated it it was amazing
A fantastic addition to the first book and much needed to be able to do the process step by step. I fought against the folding, but do it as this lady knows exactly what time it is.
Ann Knuttila
Nov 12, 2016 Ann Knuttila rated it really liked it
While I don't think I'll be talking to my socks anytime soon, there were some good tips and good ideas for living a more simplified and purposeful life in this book.
Stephanie Lescaille
Dec 26, 2016 Stephanie Lescaille rated it it was amazing
My mom bought this... I've never read it tho... idky I'm reviewing, so bye. She said it was good, so buy it.
Jacquie
Nov 09, 2016 Jacquie rated it it was amazing
Loved it. I am getting rid of so much stuff and really thinking about what items bring me joy.
Heather
Oct 20, 2016 Heather rated it liked it
Interesting way to approach decluttering and organizing. I enjoyed the quirkiness of it!
Shannondoah
Loved it! Already applied the KonMari method to my clothes! Next up Books... I don't see those going very far though.
Monica
Dec 17, 2015 Monica rated it it was amazing
Does this spark joy? Marie Kondo, author of the bestselling book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, says these four words have to power to change your mindset. By asking yourself which things, activities, and relationships spark joy, and which don't, you can mindfully change your life.

This journal gives the writer a space to write a small bit each day on what sparks joy for them. Every year for the past 4 years, I have kept a gratitude journal. I have kept note of a few things each day that
Kelly
Jan 16, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
The small size makes it difficult to write in!

(Full disclosure: I received a free book for review through Blogging for Books.)

I've never read The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, so I can't say how well Marie Kondō's companion journal embodies its principles or otherwise relates to the book. Nevertheless, I expected there to be some writing prompts taken from or otherwise inspired by the book, but ... not so much. While the journal does include some choice quotes from The Life-Changing Magic o
Stephanie
Feb 26, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
"The most revolutionary part of this book is its new folding method," stated one book reviewer. That person did not understand the essence of this book, what Marie Kondo is really trying to tell us about the way we live our lives. Her message is much deeper than respecting socks. This book provides a method to know and care for every single possession you own and to live in harmony with only the things you really love and need. The true message of this book is that you can cave faith in yourself ...more
Julie Catzin
Life Changing for sure! It's an inspiring book and I've implemented many of the suggestions. I especially love applying the "does this bring me joy" to all aspects of my life. Although many things in the book might not work for everyone, there is something for everyone in this book. I feel like I have more control over my "things" and, in turn, it has given me a sense of control over my decisions. I believe there is a direct correlation between those things. Even if you are not organizationally ...more
Nov 17, 2016 Jennifer rated it did not like it
It didn’t “spark joy.” That’s why I’m marking the one-month anniversary of using my KonMari journal by throwing it away. At first I thought it would be a great way to record my progress in decluttering my living space and getting on track with my life. Instead, writing in it became a tedious chore I sought to avoid. Don’t misunderstand me. I love to journal. However, used to free writing as much as I wanted on whatever days I wanted, I now found my thoughts reduced to daily short snippets, force ...more
Amy
Feb 29, 2016 Amy rated it liked it
This is likely intended to be used along with the book 'Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up', however I haven't read that, I do feel like you can achieve the same results by using this journal as a way of recording particular progress depending on whatever goal you have. Small & compact enough to carry and use on a daily basis, with space only to write a summary, but I really like the presentation of each page, flexible enough for you to save and use any year that you choose. Lightly hardbound ...more
Tresha Mcfadden
Apr 02, 2016 Tresha Mcfadden rated it really liked it

This cute Book/Journal is awesome I just wish it was bigger so you could have more space to write. I love how the book talks about not wasting time on things,relationships,habits, activities and your daily practices in your life that do not bring you joy/spark your joy. I really need this in my life, to be honest everyone does. I love the principles discussed in this book,

I love the fact that I can write in the journal and write down the things that bring me joy. And if it doesn't bring me joy I
Ally Marie
Dec 31, 2015 Ally Marie rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-copy
I truly enjoyed Marie Kondo's book The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up! I was very excited to have the opportunity to read this book from Blogging for Books in exchange for posting my honest review.

I love the concept of writing what brings me joy each day in this journal. Each page has a place for the next three years, which is fabulous! However, I was a bit disappointed with the limited space to write thoughts. This is not a guided journal, and will only fit short gratitude reflections for th
Sophia
May 21, 2016 Sophia rated it it was ok
When a friend chose this book for book club I was almost angry. I'd rather read about something that matters, a topic one could actually care about or an emotionally complex novel. But book club turned out ok when we discussed the morality behind overconsumption and why we hang on to so much stuff. Truth is I do want to simplify. But frankly I doubt I'll ever commit the time required to clean the way this woman does, and I don't really mind having a bit of a mess. I work hard and am raising 3 ki ...more
Xin Tong
Mar 24, 2016 Xin Tong rated it it was amazing
Despite I always think I am a relatively organized person and didn't expect much from just tidying, this book surprisingly makes me want to tidy right away! The philosophy is so simple yet no one gave a serious thought and spoke it out loud. Thank you Marie Kondo! This is indeed a real life-changing idea. One thing though, I can tell the author is more obsessively compulsive with organizing which means not everybody can really be that thorough on following her methods. But she confronts it quite ...more
Kristina Aziz
Feb 10, 2016 Kristina Aziz rated it it was ok

This journal was not at all what I expected. I was expecting prompts or ideas.
maybe space to draw things that spark joy. Even a weekly quote or picture. While there was the occasional quote, this journal was really a glorified notebook.
Don't get me wrong, go and get the accompanying self help book written by the author. But if you want a place to record things that spark joy, go to the dollar store and invest in a fifty cent composition notebook or agenda.
I got this book from the publisher in
Josephine
Mar 18, 2016 Josephine rated it liked it
I love tidying and de-cluttering since it's liberating to relieve oneself of belongings that don't bring joy. I think this book is a great topic with great tips, but it could have been distilled down a bit.
There is an article that summarizes this book really well, which I greatly enjoyed.
A Holland Reads
Dec 19, 2015 A Holland Reads rated it really liked it
I enjoyed looking through this journal and am looking forward to using it as a companion to the author's book as I read it. I really liked all the sayings that were put in different parts of the book. There is also plenty of space to do your journaling. I also like who much this journal matches the book.
Denise Tarasuk
Feb 29, 2016 Denise Tarasuk rated it it was amazing
This is a little journal to keep me going on my journey. I log daily progress and my thoughts about cleaning up. It has provided me with a place to write and realize what I feel about my books, clothing, and how I would like my little place to be. I am having fun noting "give aways" and progress. I am on my way to joy and a simple life. Fun to journal.
Zanne
Nov 08, 2016 Zanne rated it really liked it
There is a difference between tidying up and cleaning. This book helps define that as well as actually put one on the path of understanding HOW to tidy their lives and keep it thus. I recommend the audio-book.
Carrie
May 21, 2016 Carrie rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
A quirky little book. My house is pretty tidy, but I was recommended this book by my sister. Sure enough it has lots of gems in it. Like keeping the same things in one place. I've already found that I had four different stashes of tea lights and candles squirreled away.
  • 21 Days Closer to Christ
  • The Scarlet and the Black: The True Story of Monsignor Hugh O'Flaherty, Hero of the Vatican Underground
  • Follow the Model: Miss J's Guide to Unleashing Presence, Poise, and Power
  • Depressed and Anxious: The Dialectical Behavior Therapy Workbook for Overcoming Depression and Anxiety
  • The Enneagram of Parenting: The 9 Types of Children and How to Raise Them Successfully
  • For the Love of God: A Woman's Guide to Finding Faith and Getting Grace
  • To Live Until We Say Good Bye
  • Changes That Heal: Workbook
  • Radical Acceptance: Guided Meditations
  • Handbook on Counseling Youth
  • Just Because It Isn't Wrong Doesn't Make It Right: Teaching Kids To Think And Act Ethically
  • The Self-Esteem Companion: Simple Exercises to Help You Challenge Your Inner Critic and Celebrate Your Personal Strengths
  • Stories Rabbits Tell: A Natural and Cultural History of a Misunderstood Creature
  • Living with Your Heart Wide Open: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Unworthiness, Inadequacy, and Shame
  • Discipline Without Distress: 135 Tools for Raising Caring, Responsible Children Without Time-Out, Spanking, Punishment, or Bribery
  • Life's Missing Instruction Manual: The Guidebook You Should Have Been Given at Birth
  • Inner Wisdom
  • Crazy Sexy Juice: 100+ Simple Juice, Smoothie & Nut Milk Recipes to Supercharge Your Health
Marie Kondo (近藤 麻理恵) is a Japanese organizing consultant and author. Kondo's method of organizing is known as the KonMari Method, and one of the main principles is keeping only possessions which "spark joy."

Kondo's best-seller The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing has been published in more than 30 countries.

She was listed as one of the world's 100
More about Marie Kondō...