Start by marking “Elastic Heart” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating Details  ·  197 Ratings  ·  98 Reviews
A standalone dark romance coming February 25, 2016
Cover Reveal: Feb 11, 2016

What do you do when the man who raped you has the entire police force in his pocket? When you’re called a slut, a whore, and a liar?

You get your own justice.

My name is Nami DeGrace, and six months ago I was a normal college student. I was volunteering on the campaign of a man I believed in, a man
213 pages
Published February 25th 2016 by Trendlettrs

Jamie ♡♡ submits to books ♡♡
4 "Huck and Dandelion" Stars

"True revenge consumes the spirit."

photo PicsArt_03-20-07.58.38_zpsrteyyuph.jpg

Nami was once a strong, vibrant woman with her life filled with good friends and a good starting job with Senator Mitch Morris.

Then her world is shattered in the blink of an eye when the Senator rapes Nami, taking away every ounce of her former self.

photo PicsArt_03-20-08.23.13_zpsex87pvkb.jpg

Reporting the rape was the most logical thing to do. Her friends would stand by her. The police would believe her and arrest the monster. Only that never happened. Nami was tossed in
Mary Gebhard
Mar 04, 2016 Mary Gebhard is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)
HEY GUYS!
Thank you so much for all of your support. I've decided to keep Elastic Heart at 99c for a few more days as a thank you!>> http://amzn.to/1KLK5Ag

Unedited Excerpt

“Nami open your door! It’s me, Law!” I perked up a bit, looking at my door with less hostility and more interest. Why was Law here? Still, my interest was not enough to get me off the couch. Law was persona non grata in the Degrace house.
“Go away!” I yelled, curling myself in blankets.
“I will stay here and wake up all o
Amy
Feb 12, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing
Mary Catherine Gebhard
5 stars

** If you have triggers from rape and abuse do not click this up. **

From the first line of this book you will be raising your eye brows and saying holy what? The amount of WTF moments from the first few pages had me fuming … and not at the author at the reality of the situation that a rape victim goes through. Nami Degrace has been raped by someone she knows she cant fight … he owns the law …

There you go friends .. yup this is a zinger for sure. Having
Donna ~ The Romance Cover
I was in the mood for some suspense and I found this book on an Amazon trawl. In the beginning I really got into this story and was totally engrossed in Nami's story and her fight for revenge and justice. However, from around the middle and to the end this book kind of lost it's edge for me and became a little weak in plot and depth. The "I love you" came totally out of left field and was just quite frankly unbelievable so once I had re-read that line their relationship lost its spark. However, ...more
Komal Chandwani
Feb 24, 2016 Komal Chandwani rated it really liked it
Elastic Heart is a heart-breaking novel. The words expressed by the author are powerful enough to make your world crumble. This novel is beautiful in it's own way. I've loved how circumstances are woven in this book so that Nami and Law could be together.

There are lies, heart-breaking scenes, stubbornness and so much more. I thoroughly enjoyed the book, and at times even yelled at my kindle because all I wanted Nami to do was break down her walls.

She is a woman who has build strong walls around
H.J. Bellus
Feb 17, 2016 H.J. Bellus rated it it was amazing
Elastic Heart by Mary Catherine Gebhard

I have no idea where to start on this one. How do you react? What are you suppose to do? Where do you turn? Is there a right or wrong answer to all of these questions?

Nami DeGrace is faced with all these questions during a pivotal part of her life. Gebhard does an excellent job shaping and molding an in depth character who takes life by the horns and steps to the beat of her own drums. She seeks revenge for the hurt she experienced by a certain someone who
Habiba Hasabo
Feb 14, 2016 Habiba Hasabo rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
*ARC PROVIDED FOR AN HONEST REVIEW*

I am gonna start with the cover and the title of this book because they're so damn catchy. They were tempting and I just signed up for the ARC and I don't regret it.

"The world kept revolving, and I had to revolve with it. Even if I really didn’t fucking want to."~

Nami is a troubled woman. She needed to heal, she thinks she wants to stay away from everyone, but she didn't know that Law was her answer. She needed love and she desired acceptance. She wanted to be
Amanda Lee Disheveled Book Blog
Mary Catherine’s writing and stories just keep getting better, and if you haven’t read anything from her I highly recommend checking her out and this book.

This story is dark, mysterious and tackles a tough subject. Nami is faced with a lot all at once in the begining and she has no one to help her, she’s alone. She’s tough and strong, and given what’s happened to her she is surprisingly determined to find justice. The law is not on her side, so she basically has to pursue things on her own. But
United Indie Book Blog
Feb 16, 2016 United Indie Book Blog rated it really liked it
I was given this ARC for my honest review. I will start by saying this was my first time reading this author and I was pleasantly surprised. It was full of angst and mystery, two of my favorite thing. I was hooked from the start losing sleep just to see how it all ends.

The story starts out with a horrible event in Nami’s life where she is assaulted by a senator with the power to make his crime disappear but Nami refuses to give up even when the police don't believe her even after she has lost al
Robin Martin
Feb 22, 2016 Robin Martin rated it really liked it
This book is dark and full of suspense. It will open your eyes to some of the evil that is lurking in plain sight. It will hurt your heart, more than once. It is not a happy fairytale. However, the raw reality of the world that Nami has been forced to live in will pull you in right along with her. You will feel the emotions that she feels. Your heart will break, you will get angry and scared….but the bits of light that start to show up throughout the story will make it worth going through all of ...more
Robin Gardner
Mar 06, 2016 Robin Gardner rated it it was ok
There is so much... too much going on in this book, yet there is so much left out.

Naomi, a rape victim, meets Law while stalking her attacker, a senator (I assume a state senator) who, because of his position and ties to the community, everyone believes innocent. She vows to make him pay, but Law keeps showing up just when she gets close to doing any one of her PTSD inspired, I-have-nothing-left-to-lose-so-I'll-do-desperately-stupid-things plans.

So that's where it fell apart for me. Law doesn'
Saira Mendoza
Feb 20, 2016 Saira Mendoza rated it really liked it
Elastic Heart by Mary C Gebhard

Let me just say I finished this book from start to finish in one sitting, I could not put it down. I was a little taken back by some of Nami's "operation" plans, they seemed to just pop up. On another note though I loved how this story began, it pulled the reader in right away. I loved the emotional Rollercoaster playing through in her head. I enjoyed reading Law and Nami's story come together. Fav. quotes are "If everyone's insane, then you're the mad one." "I wa
Maria
Feb 20, 2016 Maria rated it it was amazing
In the beginning of the book the young girl Nami gets reaped. Her hole life falls apart. Nobody believes in her because the guy is an known politician. She just wants justice and is obsessed about it. One day she meets the mysterious stranger a guy named Law. But can she trust him or is he working for the enemy ?

I have read the book in one day and oh my god. It was so exciting. I couldn't stop. A gripping story with a lot of action. I felt really sorry for Nami and all that she went through. I
Misty Walker
Feb 22, 2016 Misty Walker rated it really liked it
*i was generously given an arc from the COPA crew in exchange for my honest review*

After suffering a horrific rape, Nami is in the fight of her life to take down the high profile politician that wronged her.

The plot and characters were well developed and there are lots of twists and turns to keep you wondering what will happen next. Throughout the book Nick Law is the love interest in question and the reader is smacked back and forth over whether he is a good guy or not. Poor Nami has no trust
Jennifer Pierson
Mar 18, 2016 Jennifer Pierson rated it it was amazing
WOW WOW WOW! Nami DeGrace was a normal college student ready to change the world, volunteers on a campaign for a man that she believes in. But the night he rapes her, is the night he destroys her life. When she tried to report it, the police wouldn't help her, and the media called her a slut, whore, and liar. She lost all of her friends, and dropped out of school. She's now a recluse, who has one mission in life, to make him pay. She follows him everywhere, trying to find any evidence of wrongdo ...more
Melanie
Feb 23, 2016 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This story is very well written but can cause triggers for those that have had to deal with rape, so keep that in mind. I was very impressed with how Mary Catherine Beghard tackled such a hard topic so well and gave us a brilliant story where the characters persevere at getting through the hard times. The characters are very well developed and I quickly fell in love with them and longed for more from them when the story ended.

Nami DeGrace is a young lady that is set on getting revenge for what a
Coral Mitchell
Feb 21, 2016 Coral Mitchell rated it liked it
**Do not read if you have rape or abuse triggers.**

Nami's life was shattered when she was raped by a man she trusted personally and professionally. His campaign was able to make her accusations against him into her fault for being a horrible person and trying to ruin him. Nami can barely function, was vilified by the media, shunned by her friends, and dropped out of school. Her only goal now is revenge. Nick all but forces himself into Nami's life. He recognizes the pain in her eyes. He is intri
Louise
Feb 25, 2016 Louise rated it really liked it
I don't think I've been surprised by the start of a book like I was by this book. The first few lines alone had me sit up, pay attention and get comfy as I knew I was going to be in for an emotional ride. This is a book that deals with sexual assault and ptsd, it is not something that you should read if you are sensitive this subject.

There have been other books I've read that have dealt with sexual assault but what I loved about this book in particular was that you really felt for Nami. I went t
Lisa
Mar 15, 2016 Lisa rated it it was amazing
"The biggest tragedy of your life will be you not realizing how amazing you truly are."

I love the details.... when an author takes the time to make sure to get all the little nuances correct. From the first page with the 'rape kit' scenario, Mary Catherine Gebhard reels you in to a story that is built on all aspects of fear that a victim experiences. There are no holds barred. It's ugly and sad and will make you angry. The one thing it won't do is make you regret reading it.

"I'm afraid I'll neve
Juli Hall
Feb 21, 2016 Juli Hall rated it it was amazing
I was given an Arc of this for my honest review.
Wow!!! This book has it all, intrigue, romance, suspense and a really great storyline. Warning - it's dark, extremely dark but oh so good.
Zetti
Mar 13, 2016 Zetti rated it really liked it
Elastic Hearts by Mary Catherine Gebhard
Nami has been subjected to a horrible ordeal and in the beginning stages of this book, she makes moves to gather evidence but then it transpires that the person she has accused, is a person of considerable power. This in itself, provides more issues and she is labelled as the outcast within the neighbourhood that she resides in.
She is determined to get justice for herself. She doesn’t want this ‘man’ to get away with what he has done to her. Whilst she is
Kelly Smith
Feb 23, 2016 Kelly Smith rated it it was amazing
I don't know where to begin with this review.....

So many emotions ran through my mind as I read this...

Nami DeGrace is a strong, but broken woman that has her entire life stripped away by someone with powerful ties. She wants revenge, but she can't get back what was stolen....

She is drowning and when someone offers her his help, she fights him every step of the way....will she except what he offers? Will he help her heal or destroy what's left?

This is a powerfully moving book, it is dark and to
Jennifer Lessard
Feb 23, 2016 Jennifer Lessard rated it it was amazing
I received a copy of this in exchange for an honest review.
I need to start by saying that this book might not be for everyone. If abuse, sexual assault and even drug and alcohol abuse are triggers for you then this is a book you should pass on. As I started reading this book I honestly thought I would be giving it a rating of a 1 or 2 stars. For me this book started out pretty slow for me and I was having a hard time relating to the characters and even to the story line. But at about 25% into th
Christine
Mar 04, 2016 Christine rated it really liked it
What an amazing and intense book! Gebhard makes you feel the pain Nami feels through her story. You can't help but break right along with her and then mend as Law mends her. Fantastic book!
Ashley
Mar 04, 2016 Ashley rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book so much! Nami had such issues to work through going into the book, and Law was the perfect man to go along for the ride!
Melissa Killingbeck
May 18, 2016 Melissa Killingbeck rated it really liked it
Elastic Heart is a story about Nami DeGrace, a college student working as an intern for a campaign she believes in. Senator Morris rapes Nami, when she reports it to the police they say her evidence isn't compelling enough. “I’d moved after he had attacked me. My old apartment never felt the same. My bed wasn’t mine any more; it belonged to him. Even my shower didn’t belong to me; it belonged to the memories of how I’d tried to scrub him off”
Nami soon realizes that Morris's power stretches furth
Itsy Bitsy Book Bits
Apr 24, 2016 Itsy Bitsy Book Bits rated it really liked it
Elastic Heart is a story about Nami DeGrace, a college student working as an intern who gets raped by a beloved senator who also happens to be a church leader. Of course no one believes her, so her story is turned around to sound like she was making advances at him. Nami’s life is ruined. She withdraws from volunteering and drops out of college. She loses friends and stays away from family to protect them. She even stays inside her apartment as much as possible. Until one day she ventures out to ...more
A Hopeless Romantic's Booklandia
I wanted to read Elastic Heart as soon as I saw that Ms. Gebhard wrote it and the synopsis made me want to read it even more! It's unique and weird at times, but not a bad weird, just weird weird. Despite all that, though, I'm glad I read it and it was completely worth it!

Law might have a first name, but to Nami and me, he'll always be Law. I pretty much liked him instantly - he was funny, amusing, and very determined. Law is sweet, patient, and understanding - he is just one of the good guys.
Lustful Literature
Mar 14, 2016 Lustful Literature rated it really liked it

**JOSIE'S REVIEW**

The Blurb mentions that this is a dark romance and even though some of the subject matter was tough to swallow I didn’t find this overly dark. What the Heroine endured was not easy. This author did not hide the ugly parts to her rape and all the damage that happened afterwards. I really felt like I was able to truly connect with Nami and I understood her need for justice and vengeance.

Nami’s character is broken and troubled. She’s been violated by a man she trusted, failed by
Ashley Jasper
Feb 27, 2016 Ashley Jasper rated it liked it
Mary Catherine Gebhard is a brand new writer for me and I enjoyed her writing style. The opening was gripping and had my eyes popping out of my head. It was a bold move to start a book that way. That being said, I found Elastic Heart fell a bit flat. And while this book had the potential to be great, to me, it was just ok. However, there were elements to this story that I really enjoyed...

I admired Nami, the main character, for her grit and determination. How she stuck to her guns when the rest
  • Variants (Anathergians Trilogy, #1)
  • Cameron's Control: (Enthrall Novella #1) (Enthrall Sessions Book 4)
  • The Story of Us Trilogy Boxed Set (Story of Us Trilogy, #1-3)
  • Love Entwined
  • One Last Shot (Pub Fiction 3)
  • Good-bye, with Love.
  • The Bellator Saga: The First Trilogy (Bellator Saga, #1-3)
  • Faking Perfect
  • Killer
  • Closed Heart
  • Backfire (Vigilantes, #2)
  • Liar, Liar
  • Lennox (Ride or Die #1)
  • The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2)
  • The Color of our Sky
  • MisTaken (Miss Match, #1.5)
  • Kissed by Reality
  • Murder (Sinful Secrets, #2)
8441964
Mary Catherine Gebhard bites off more than she can chew. She's lived in Salt Lake City, Utah her entire life but occasionally goes on vacation from reality. Don't worry, she sends postcards.
More about Mary Catherine Gebhard...