Start by marking “The Price of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Price of Silence

The Price of Silence

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  549 ratings  ·  78 reviews
- This is not a Barbara Holloway novel.

Disappearances. Murder. The Price of Silence in a Small Town.

In dire need of a job, Todd Fielding accepts the offer to work at The Brindle Times -- even if she has to move to the lackluster town of Brindle. As she settles into her new home, Todd is fully prepared to adapt to the boredom of small-town life, but her preconceptions of Br
Published August 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Silence

On Mystic Lake by Kristin HannahAlong Came Trouble by Sherryl WoodsAbout That Man by Sherryl WoodsAsk Anyone by Sherryl WoodsThe Tudor Rose by Margaret Campbell Barnes
The Most Recent Book You Have Read
34th out of 35 books — 6 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsThe Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsEclipse by Stephenie MeyerMockingjay by Suzanne CollinsTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
most read
156th out of 162 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

Tracy Walters
First of all.......the main couple in the story are young, beautiful and intelligent......BUT.......who would want to name these type of characters 'Barney and Todd'.......Todd being the beautiful woman that is the catalyst of the story.....seriously "Barney and Todd" sounds like a "Bert and Ernie" type of deal....just had to get that out of my system.....

Secondly....I figured out the killer from the first moment he is brought into the about a mystery here..
Mystery. The small town of Brindle has a secret hanging over it. Too many of its children have gone missing over the years, and no one seems to notice the pattern until Todd moves there to take a job at the local paper. Now her life may be in danger too.

This couldn't decide if it was a ghost story, a mystery, or a thriller, and made a hash out of all three. The pacing is slow like a ghost story, unless it's fast like a thriller and Todd is doing something totally paranoid like jumping out of a m
Michelle (meshe)
Wasn't real impressed, but this was romantic suspense and not meant to be a really impressive mystery I guess. I figured out the kidnapper early on and wanted to scream at the main characters who couldn't figure it out. It was way too obvious for me to enjoy the rest of the book.
The setting is a creepy, little town in Eastern Oregon that has unexplained cold air spells that remain unexplained. I made most of the correct assumptions early on in guessing the mystery. It isn't an altogether logical book but it is still reasonably entertaining.
Lissa Notreallywolf
Todd Fielding lost her good paying job. Since her husband is teaching a couple of courses while he finishes his doctoral dissertation, he can't support them. Todd lucks into a job as editor for a small town newspaper. It means moving but her husband manages to consolidate his courses into 2 days a week and arranges to stay with a family friend for those days so the commute is a small issue. Things were working out perfectly until a local 14 year old disappears and the police want to write it off ...more
Brindle, Oregon is a dying town but in spite of this Ruth Ann Colonna, who has run the town's newspaper for almost sixty years, wants to put out a special centennial edition of The Brindle Times with photos, letters and newspaper articles about the inhabitants back to the founding fathers. Todd Fielding needs a job and is offered a job at The Brindle Times utilizing her computer expertise. It seems like the perfect job opportunity for her since she and her husband, Barney, desperately need the m ...more
This was an excellent mystery with two very strong (emotionally at least) female characters. Todd is the new editor at a small town newspaper in eastern (I think it was Oregon but could be Washington - only mentioned once and I'm not familiar enough with the cities to be absolutely sure). She is working with the matriarch publisher, Ruth Ann and learning to live in small town America. There are other wonderful characters introduced including Todd's husband, Barney, the local doctor, Sam, the pub ...more
Ashland Mystery Oregon
Kate Wilhelm's lifelong productivity is amazing and the consistent quality of her writing is impressive.

The Price of Silence (2005) is a departure from the familiar Barbara Holloway series, and is set in Brindle, a small, eastern Oregon community somewhere near Bend. Town matriarch Ruth Ann Colonna begs Todd Fielding to rescue her newspaper, and Todd finds herself emeshed in an ghostly, ghastly situation. There's an inexplicable coldness that brings tears and misery, and she's haunted by the sp
"In dire need of a job, Todd Fielding accepts the offer to work at the Brindle Times, south of Bend - even if she has to move to the lackluster town of Brindle. As she settles into her new home, Todd is fully prepared to adapt to the boredom of small-town life, but her preconceptions of Brindle are completely shattered when a local girl disappears. Even more shocking to Todd is the town's sheer indifference to the incident. No one - not even the police - appears particularly concerned.

When Todd
Lisa Richardson
I didn't like the use of the Lolita myth. For me, the ending was a spoiled by the writer's notion of a 14 or 15 year old girl intentionally seducing a grown man. Yes, 14 or 15 year old girls become infatuated with grown men, but it was a cheap plot device when juxtaposed with the main plot driver being an unknown villain abducting and abusing 14 year old girls over a 20 year period.
Low rating has much to do with the voice of the reader. Very disappointed, especially with her male voices. Had to force myself to finish. Almost quit 90% through.

Unanswered questions: (unless I missed it dozing off...) Why the cold spells?
The pace of the plot was a bit slow but the subtle clues to the identity of any successful serial kidnapper were well placed along the way. A dash of the paranormal simply added an element to the mix that isn't all that different than "real life".
Vannessagrace Vannessagrace
Todd Fielding, journalist, moves to the small town of Brindle, Oregon to work for the local newspaper with her husband Barney, who teaches college students in a nearby town. They’d only been there for a few weeks when a local fourteen year old girl disappears. The primary suspect is Barney who spends the week at his residence near the college where he teaches.

While following leads, Todd learns that over a span of years local girl started turning up missing and piecing together the clues, she le
Megan Peterson
First book I've read by this author and it wasn't bad. A few parts got a little boring and I wanted to call it quits but something kept bringing me back to it. I'm glad I stuck it out because the ending was great.
I find myself quite addicted to Kate Wilhelm. The first book of hers I read was the first in the Barbara Holloway series. It came highly recommended, and quite frankly it took me quite a while to get into it, and even then I didn't love the story. I don't know if it was the story itself or my frame of mind at the time.

However, I tried another and was hooked. I am methodically making my way through each and every book Kate Wilhelm had written, and weather she surprises me at the end or I figure
David Weinfeld
Good Book. Female journalist Todd Fielding joins a small town weekly newspaper in Oregon and creates a revolution when she seeks to unlock the story of missing teen girls over a period of many years.
Kate Wilhelm is known for her psychological thrillers. The Price of Silence was disappointing, though. The beginning of the book was very heavy-handed, almost ordering the reader what to think rather than giving hints to allow for the reader’s imagination. Some of the questions that are essential to the plot are never answered, which left me with a sense that I had been manipulated and/or cheated out of a really good story.

Having said that, however, The Price of Silence kept my attention, and I
Beth Cheatham
I really liked this one as it was not a Barbara Holloway book. I did think Todd was a very unusual name for the lead female character. A good mystery.
Really good book about the need to learn and confront the history and problems of a community.
First off, I love the way Kate Wilhelm writes. She writes across several genres, and it doesn't matter which I am reading, I just love the way she writes.

This is a psychological / mystical kind of mystery, not a courtroom drama, not a detective story, not science fiction. This one did not have the series characters I so love that she writes, it has standalone characters in the usual strong style. I know I can count on her for gorgeous descriptions of physical territory that takes me there, in mi
Slow, bogged down by too much unnecessary detail. Boring.
Hallie Jackson Brackett
I was really into the characters but the story was way too slow for me.
Todd took a job at the "Brindle Times" as editor but her husband, Barney, would have to commute between his job as teacher and only be home a few days a week. A young girl had gone missing but it was dismissed as a "runaway". Todd wanted to find out what really happened to her and other young girls in the past. Did they really run away, or were they kidnapped or even worse? The people at Brindle wanted her gone-no sense in bringing up old stories. This was a good read that kept you wondering to ...more
April Jones
decent read not the best but not the worst
I like the characters and the mystery.
As a mystery, it’s a little disappointing. The clues all fit together well, but I knew who the bad guy was way too early, and if I picked up on it it had to be pretty obvious. So I spent the second half of the book waiting to see how Todd would tie it all together. It was still a gripping story but not as suspenseful as it could have been. I did like how the town’s past helped the women figure out the mystery in the present, how it was all interwoven.

Jen -only4lightn
I really enjoyed this book. It had a good bit of mystery. I do find that Wilhelm's female leads tend to be a little whiney at times. Its a little off-putting for a character that is suppose to be brave and daring.

I also had a hard time remembering that this was not a Barbara Holloway book, as Todd sounded a lot like her. The writing is very similar. It also didn't help that I have listened to all of these on audio, and the reader is the same.
Sophia Musgrave
A real mystery until the end! I love how eccentric Kate Wilhem's characters are. I liked the foils of Ruth Ann to Todd in this story, young to old, generations apart but still linked by the discovering of the town's history and the consequences it had on its citizens years later. A nice easy read that keeps you interested but is a faster toned story, more suspenseful I think than some of her others!
Mary Sue
This is the author of the month for my mystery book group. At first I couldn't tell if it was a romance, mystery or sci-fi thriller. But I stuck to it as the setting was a place was interesting: high desert Oregon. Although I nailed the villain early on, I kept reading to see how they would figure it out. Basically a good read, but the sci-fi part never was resolved. Big HUH!
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • The Tree People
  • The Shanghai Tunnel
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Black Drop: A Sage Adair Historical Mystery of the Pacific Northwest (Sage Adair Mysteries, #4)
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • The Alpine Recluse (Emma Lord Mystery, #18)
  • Abe Lincoln's Dream
  • The Reaper
  • Only Forever \ Thunderbolt over Texas
  • Parents Behaving Badly
  • Lord of the Deep
  • A Darker Place (Anne Waverly)
  • Anatomy of a Kidnapping: A Doctor's Story
  • Sapphire
  • Lonesome Road (Miss Silver, #3)
  • Jack and the Baked Beanstalk
  • The Hideout
Kate Wilhelm has won the Hugo and several Nebula Awards. She is the widow of author and editor Damon Knight.
More about Kate Wilhelm...