Start by marking “The Price of Silence” as Want to Read:
The Price of Silence

The Price of Silence

- This is not a Barbara Holloway novel.

Disappearances. Murder. The Price of Silence in a Small Town.

In dire need of a job, Todd Fielding accepts the offer to work at The Brindle Times -- even if she has to move to the lackluster town of Brindle. As she settles into her new home, Todd is fully prepared to adapt to the boredom of small-town life, but her preconceptions of Br
Published August 1st 2006 by Mira Books (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Price of Silence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Price of Silence

Cherie
Mar 17, 2016 Cherie rated it really liked it
A ghostly story, a young girl is abducted, and a small town history is investigated. The setting is the sagebrush and juniper country of eastern Oregon. Wilhelm can weave a story as tight as an Indian basket but I was able to see the pattern this time.
Tracy Walters
First of all.......the main couple in the story are young, beautiful and intelligent......BUT.......who would want to name these type of characters 'Barney and Todd'.......Todd being the beautiful woman that is the catalyst of the story.....seriously "Barney and Todd" sounds like a "Bert and Ernie" type of deal....just had to get that out of my system.....

Secondly....I figured out the killer from the first moment he is brought into the story....geez....talk about a bummer.......no mystery here..
Punk
Jul 11, 2012 Punk rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, ebook
Mystery. The small town of Brindle has a secret hanging over it. Too many of its children have gone missing over the years, and no one seems to notice the pattern until Todd moves there to take a job at the local paper. Now her life may be in danger too.

This couldn't decide if it was a ghost story, a mystery, or a thriller, and made a hash out of all three. The pacing is slow like a ghost story, unless it's fast like a thriller and Todd is doing something totally paranoid like jumping out of a m
Theresa
Jan 01, 2016 Theresa rated it did not like it
I just wasn't that impressed with this and it didn't really capture my interest/excitement. It annoyed me how one minute Todd and Barney *could she have chosen uglier names?* were on the same page and the next minute they were isolated, like they went back and forth a lot. Their relationship also seemed really flawed, since they wouldn't talk about things or be honest and open with each other.
Chana
Jan 31, 2009 Chana rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery-thriller
The setting is a creepy, little town in Eastern Oregon that has unexplained cold air spells that remain unexplained. I made most of the correct assumptions early on in guessing the mystery. It isn't an altogether logical book but it is still reasonably entertaining.
Michelle (meshe)
Jun 21, 2009 Michelle (meshe) rated it it was ok
Shelves: bookcrossing
Wasn't real impressed, but this was romantic suspense and not meant to be a really impressive mystery I guess. I figured out the kidnapper early on and wanted to scream at the main characters who couldn't figure it out. It was way too obvious for me to enjoy the rest of the book.
Becky
Dec 13, 2016 Becky rated it liked it
Lovely descriptions of the setting in eastern Oregon ... I enjoyed the details about putting out a small-town newspaper. Some interesting characters, especially Ruth Ann Colonna, the older woman who publishes the newspaper, and Ruth Ann's housekeeper and handyman, Maria and Thomas Bird ... But the plot was a little too familiar, and I found the main character's husband to be pretty much one-dimensional. The story is tied up in a pretty bow at the end.
Brent
Nov 10, 2016 Brent rated it it was ok
Shelves: audio-500-fy16
lame. boring. the narrarator was good enough to keep it moving. I didn't realize that the story went nowhere till it was too late so I just finished it hoping for the best. it didn't. get. any. better.
Marianne Nichols
Jan 19, 2017 Marianne Nichols rated it liked it
I'd like to give this one 3 and 1/2 stars.
Lissa Notreallywolf
Dec 25, 2014 Lissa Notreallywolf rated it really liked it
Andrea
Mar 20, 2013 Andrea rated it it was amazing
Brindle, Oregon is a dying town but in spite of this Ruth Ann Colonna, who has run the town's newspaper for almost sixty years, wants to put out a special centennial edition of The Brindle Times with photos, letters and newspaper articles about the inhabitants back to the founding fathers. Todd Fielding needs a job and is offered a job at The Brindle Times utilizing her computer expertise. It seems like the perfect job opportunity for her since she and her husband, Barney, desperately need the m ...more
Donna
Aug 14, 2009 Donna rated it liked it
Todd Fielding lost her good paying job. Since her husband is teaching a couple of courses while he finishes his doctoral dissertation, he can't support them. Todd lucks into a job as editor for a small town newspaper. It means moving but her husband manages to consolidate his courses into 2 days a week and arranges to stay with a family friend for those days so the commute is a small issue. Things were working out perfectly until a local 14 year old disappears and the police want to write it off ...more
Patty
Jul 11, 2009 Patty rated it it was amazing
This was an excellent mystery with two very strong (emotionally at least) female characters. Todd is the new editor at a small town newspaper in eastern (I think it was Oregon but could be Washington - only mentioned once and I'm not familiar enough with the cities to be absolutely sure). She is working with the matriarch publisher, Ruth Ann and learning to live in small town America. There are other wonderful characters introduced including Todd's husband, Barney, the local doctor, Sam, the pub ...more
LibraryCin

Todd and her husband, Barney, decide to move to a small town, Brindle, Oregon, so Todd can take a job at the local weekly newspaper, while Barney travels back and forth for school. Shortly after they move, a 14-year old girl disappears without a trace, and everyone in town writes her off as a runaway. Todd decides to investigate and find out what happened, and she raises the ire of some of the townsfolk by printing some editorials in the paper. In the meantime, Todd’s boss, Ruth Ann, is
Rogue Reader
Feb 05, 2012 Rogue Reader rated it liked it
Kate Wilhelm's lifelong productivity is amazing and the consistent quality of her writing is impressive.

The Price of Silence (2005) is a departure from the familiar Barbara Holloway series, and is set in Brindle, a small, eastern Oregon community somewhere near Bend. Town matriarch Ruth Ann Colonna begs Todd Fielding to rescue her newspaper, and Todd finds herself emeshed in an ghostly, ghastly situation. There's an inexplicable coldness that brings tears and misery, and she's haunted by the sp
Marilyn
Apr 11, 2012 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
"In dire need of a job, Todd Fielding accepts the offer to work at the Brindle Times, south of Bend - even if she has to move to the lackluster town of Brindle. As she settles into her new home, Todd is fully prepared to adapt to the boredom of small-town life, but her preconceptions of Brindle are completely shattered when a local girl disappears. Even more shocking to Todd is the town's sheer indifference to the incident. No one - not even the police - appears particularly concerned.

When Todd
Vannessa Anderson
Todd Fielding, journalist, moves to the small town of Brindle, Oregon to work for the local newspaper with her husband Barney, who teaches college students in a nearby town. They’d only been there for a few weeks when a local fourteen year old girl disappears. The primary suspect is Barney who spends the week at his residence near the college where he teaches.

While following leads, Todd learns that over a span of years local girl started turning up missing and piecing together the clues, she le
Tiersa
Aug 13, 2009 Tiersa rated it really liked it
I find myself quite addicted to Kate Wilhelm. The first book of hers I read was the first in the Barbara Holloway series. It came highly recommended, and quite frankly it took me quite a while to get into it, and even then I didn't love the story. I don't know if it was the story itself or my frame of mind at the time.

However, I tried another and was hooked. I am methodically making my way through each and every book Kate Wilhelm had written, and weather she surprises me at the end or I figure
Bethany
Jan 11, 2008 Bethany rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller, psych
Kate Wilhelm is known for her psychological thrillers. The Price of Silence was disappointing, though. The beginning of the book was very heavy-handed, almost ordering the reader what to think rather than giving hints to allow for the reader’s imagination. Some of the questions that are essential to the plot are never answered, which left me with a sense that I had been manipulated and/or cheated out of a really good story.

Having said that, however, The Price of Silence kept my attention, and I
Joanie
Mar 10, 2012 Joanie rated it really liked it
Todd took a job at the "Brindle Times" as editor but her husband, Barney, would have to commute between his job as teacher and only be home a few days a week. A young girl had gone missing but it was dismissed as a "runaway". Todd wanted to find out what really happened to her and other young girls in the past. Did they really run away, or were they kidnapped or even worse? The people at Brindle wanted her gone-no sense in bringing up old stories. This was a good read that kept you wondering to ...more
Barbara
Apr 17, 2011 Barbara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off, I love the way Kate Wilhelm writes. She writes across several genres, and it doesn't matter which I am reading, I just love the way she writes.

This is a psychological / mystical kind of mystery, not a courtroom drama, not a detective story, not science fiction. This one did not have the series characters I so love that she writes, it has standalone characters in the usual strong style. I know I can count on her for gorgeous descriptions of physical territory that takes me there, in mi
Jen Ifer's Inklings
Dec 06, 2011 Jen Ifer's Inklings rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. It had a good bit of mystery. I do find that Wilhelm's female leads tend to be a little whiney at times. Its a little off-putting for a character that is suppose to be brave and daring.

I also had a hard time remembering that this was not a Barbara Holloway book, as Todd sounded a lot like her. The writing is very similar. It also didn't help that I have listened to all of these on audio, and the reader is the same.
Carol Evans
As a mystery, it’s a little disappointing. The clues all fit together well, but I knew who the bad guy was way too early, and if I picked up on it it had to be pretty obvious. So I spent the second half of the book waiting to see how Todd would tie it all together. It was still a gripping story but not as suspenseful as it could have been. I did like how the town’s past helped the women figure out the mystery in the present, how it was all interwoven.

Sophia Musgrave
Jul 24, 2009 Sophia Musgrave rated it it was amazing
A real mystery until the end! I love how eccentric Kate Wilhem's characters are. I liked the foils of Ruth Ann to Todd in this story, young to old, generations apart but still linked by the discovering of the town's history and the consequences it had on its citizens years later. A nice easy read that keeps you interested but is a faster toned story, more suspenseful I think than some of her others!
Lisa Richardson
I didn't like the use of the Lolita myth. For me, the ending was a spoiled by the writer's notion of a 14 or 15 year old girl intentionally seducing a grown man. Yes, 14 or 15 year old girls become infatuated with grown men, but it was a cheap plot device when juxtaposed with the main plot driver being an unknown villain abducting and abusing 14 year old girls over a 20 year period.
Mary Sue
Jan 15, 2012 Mary Sue rated it liked it
This is the author of the month for my mystery book group. At first I couldn't tell if it was a romance, mystery or sci-fi thriller. But I stuck to it as the setting was a place was interesting: high desert Oregon. Although I nailed the villain early on, I kept reading to see how they would figure it out. Basically a good read, but the sci-fi part never was resolved. Big HUH!
Marva
Feb 15, 2009 Marva rated it it was ok
I really like Kate Wilhelm's mystery books. In particular, the ones based on the female attorney whose name escapes me at the moment.

However, I knew who "dun it" so early in this book, I was very disappointed to be proved right. If you're supposed to be guessing who the bad guy is, then this one will disappoint. It disappointed me, anyway.
Daphne
Aug 30, 2015 Daphne rated it it was ok
Shelves: own-audio, quest
After enjoying Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang so much, I had hoped my 2nd book by Wilhelm would live up to it. Alas, it wasn't the case. This one was super formulaic, and like some other posters - I couldn't stand the MC names.
Christine
I like the authors style of telling a story, though I knew who was behind it right away. I was a little disappointed that it was not more of a mystery. Todd had a great strength and her relationship with everyone from Brindle was nice and comforting. I liked the small town feel. My only question that wasn't answered was about the cool air- where/why/how?
Joanne
Jul 30, 2012 Joanne rated it liked it
Todd Fielding loses her job and finally receives an offer from the Brindle Times in a very small town. She and her husband Barney move to this small town and she discovers that over the past twenty years girls have been mysteriously disappearing and the authorities have been doing nothing to locate them. Will Todd be the next victim for stirring things up?
  • Absolute Certainty (Marty Nickerson, #1)
  • The Tree People
  • The Shanghai Tunnel
  • Night Kill (Iris Oakley, #1)
  • Black Drop: A Sage Adair Historical Mystery of the Pacific Northwest (Sage Adair Mysteries, #4)
  • Black River (Frank Corso, #2)
  • The Alpine Recluse (Emma Lord, #18)
  • Lord of the Deep
  • Body Parts (Tally Whyte, #1)
  • Only Forever \ Thunderbolt over Texas
  • Anatomy of a Kidnapping: A Doctor's Story
  • The Ballad of Frankie Silver (Ballad, #5)
  • The Reaper
  • Red Knit Cap Girl
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Absent Friends
  • Ghost Canoe
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
Kate Wilhelm’s first short story, “The Pint-Sized Genie” was published in Fantastic Stories in 1956. Her first novel, MORE BITTER THAN DEATH, a mystery, was published in 1963. Over the span of her career, her writing has crossed over the genres of science fiction, speculative fiction, fantasy and magical realism, psychological suspense, mimetic, comic, and family sagas, a multimedia stage producti ...more
More about Kate Wilhelm...