Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)

Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin #10)

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  2,914 ratings  ·  146 reviews
When a fortune-teller informs Agatha Raisin that her destiny - and true love - lies in Norfolk, she promptly rents a cottage in the quaint village of Fryfam. No sooner does she arrive than strange things start happening.

Random objects go missing from people's homes and odd little lights are seen dancing in the villagers' gardens and yards. Stories soon begin circulating a
Published July 29th 2006 by Robinson Publishing (first published 2000)

Ali

I found myself thoroughly enjoying and devouring this 10th installment of the Agatha Raisin series. Another book where Agatha is not in Carsley- this time opting for a cottage in Norfolk to get away from James Lacey her neighbour in Carsley who Agatha has become a tad obsessed with over the course of the series. Therefore some of our usual friends are a rather absent in this book, however that didn't spoil my enjoyment, as there were plenty of strange characters in Fryfam for Agatha to investiga
Sukhi
Fair warning: there are going to be a lot of spoilers in this review. Please don't read it unless you want to ruin your reading experience.

I began this book with high hopes. In the previous installment in this series, Agatha Raisin has been making steady progress at moving past her obsession with James Lacey, and is really coming into her own as a mature woman. Of course, like all of us, "Aggie" still has her insecurities, which make her a normal person. However, she is working on moving on with
Gerry
Agatha sticks a pin in a map of Norfolk and finds herself in Fryfam. She settles down, reluctantly without the love of her life James Lacey, and then, surprise, surprise, a murder takes place ... and then another! And also to contend with is the flashing lights in the back garden of her rented cottage. Could they be fairies as local legend had it?

How can Agatha investigate when the company she is keeping in her new environment is more or less unknown to her? But as one expects she does ... in he
Stephen Lawton
This installment of Agatha Raisin was mistitled and ought to be called "Death at the Manor" as the fairy plot was weak and insignificant. As with the Witches book Sir Charles joins Agatha in Norfolk. Agatha spends most of the book being grumpier than usual as James has gone away and it's uncertain when he'll return, hence Agatha renting a cottage if Fryfam. This was a fun escapade of the seething subterranean passion below the quiet village surface variety.
Connie
I came across the Agatha Raisin mystery books at my library when I was looking for some books on tape to listen to while I do dishes at night (note: books on tape are an excellent way to get your house work done with as little pain as possible.) The mystery series are fun, light hearted, and the characters are what make the book. I think I have gone through all the mysteries available on tape at my library. The first book in the series is Agatha Raisin and the Quiche of Death, so you might want ...more
Heather
Man, I loathe Agatha Raisen. Does she have ANY redeeming qualities to make one like her at all? No. Are these mysteries detailed and interesting enough to continue reading them although one despises the main characters? No.

Read Laurie R. King instead. Or Ngaio Marsh. or Ms. Sayers. or ANYONE. If you have to have Beaton's "popcorn for the soul" then read the Hamish Macbeth series instead. At elast there the characters aren't terribly stupid and annoying and self centered. Or not as much as Agatha
Kaye
Agatha rents a cottage in the village of Fryfam to get away from her neighbor James. She announces she is writing a novel, Murder at the Manor. Unfortunately, a murder at the manor occurs and Agatha is in the middle. Barron Charles shows up to stay with Agatha and help solve the mystery. Charles is more pleasant in this one and Agatha always seems more capable (less "fish out of water") when she is away from her home. This was quick and easy. In fact listened to the whole novel while doing erran ...more
Cozy Reader
Agatha Raisin is heading north for a vacation, following some psychic advice that she will find love in the north. However in the sleepy town of Fryham she finds not love, but murder. Agatha doesn't feel at home in Fryham and she's almost relieved when her friend, Sir Charles Fraith, turns up. However they soon have their hands full trying to solve a murder, which could be difficult to do since the locals don't seem to trust them.

I really love the Agatha Raisin mysteries. I prefer the funnier my
Hermioneginny
Su consiglio di un'indovina, Agatha prende in affitto un cottage nel Norfolk e da subito comincia a vedere piccole luci in fondo al giardino. Le nuove vicine sono donne frustrate e insoddisfatte e per mettersi in mostra Agatha dice di essere una scrittrice. Ed effettivamente scrive una manciata di pagine intitolate "Omicidio al maniero". Ovviamente quando al maniero avviene davvero un omicidio, la polizia trova quelle pagine...

Sono ancora sotto shock per la fine! Non c'entra niente con l'indagin
Catherine
Read on a lazy Sunday only a day after it arrived on Mount Toobie.

Agatha moves location and, as usual, manages to find trouble and rub at least some of the locals up the wrong way. In spite of all that, her mooning over James and ambivalence towards Charles, she's still rather a sweety really, especially in this tale.
Emily Cullen
In the last book of this M.C. Beaton cozy mystery series, Agatha Raisin is told by a fortune teller that her true love lies in Norfolk so she rents a cottage in the village of Fryfam. She also wants to get her on again-off again boyfriend, James, out of her head once and for all. Strange things go on in the village, such as mysterious lights which the villagers believe are fairies. When a prominent villager is murdered, Agatha becomes the main suspect and needs to investigate. This book was real ...more
An Odd1
Agatha Raisin "well-preserved fifties" p 53 obeys fortune teller and rents in Fryfam village. Flickering lights down in the garden presage missing vase. After pricey painting vanishes from manor, PC p 51 "Framp guarding the house" p 63 "stand outside in the rain all night" p 61.

Typing manuscript for 'Death at the Manor' p 67, she and visitor Sir Charles 40s are suspect when squire wannabe Tolly Trumpington-James similarly has throat cut by "one of those old fashioned cutthroat razors" p 68. Dru
Sybil Rivers
I took a break and it dawned on me that, a. I didn't have my Kindle and, b. that I didn't have a book with me. So I picked up this book that someone had returned for a quick read.
I got into it. I really enjoyed the comedic characters. Agatha Raisen needs a break from her life and decides to "randomly" pick a location to relocate. And, of course, as is with any mystery, murder follows her.
This was the tenth book in the series but I felt that M.C. Barton gave enough background about the characte
Fanficfan44
Agatha Raisin is one of my very favorite sleuths. I love that you can’t keep her down. She is always trying to solve her problems, even though sometimes in very ill advised ways. In this book, she is trying to get over James, still, yet again and so decides to move away from her little cottage and move to a village, Fryfam, in Norfolk. Of course, being Agatha once she arrives there is a murder in the sleepy little village which she has to solve. Her loyal sidekick, Sir Charles Fraith assists aga ...more
Dolly
Jul 01, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
This is the tenth book in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. The plot centers around Agatha's escape to the village of Fryfam to get away from James and her troubles. Of course, she encounters more death, deception and danger along the way. It's a fairly typical story for the series, and not nearly as violent as some, and I enjoyed reading about her experiences in the Norfolk area. The ending is quite abrupt and shocking, but I'm sure the drama over Agatha's poor choices in life will conti ...more
Ann Boytim
Agatha at her best - witty sarcastic and on the hunt for a man - still wants her next door neighbor James. Agatha moves away from the village where she lives and rents a cottage and see lights at the bottom of her garden - fairies! Agatha's friend Charles comes for a visit and they get involved once again in finding a body and tracking down a murderer. Eventually Agatha has had enough and goes home back to her cottage in the village and James comes over to visit - surprising ending!
Michelle
I enjoy a good cozy mystery and this fits the bill..... I like the descriptions of the English cottages and countryside. Agatha's middle life crises are identifiable and her issues with men and the pursuit of "true love" are funny and quite relatable...perhaps we, the readers, are getting a glimpse of the author's own experiences.
I will continue to search out and read more of Agatha's tales and also those of Hamish Macbeth as well also written by M.C. Beaton.
Robert Scott
Finished 01/24/2013. Agatha has decided to treat her obsession with James -- by relocating. She chooses her new destination by sticking a pin in the map and ends up in the village of Fryfam in Norfolk. The cottage has no central heat, lights in the garden that disappear and item that also do. A beautiful barista, a self-appointed squire and his trophy wife, a grumpy housekeeper and her children and the local hunt club make up the cast. -
Book Wormy
My favourite Aggie so far, mind you I think I say that with each new one I finish.

Aggie is just a great character and I love the cosy mystery aspects of the books not too much blood and guts everywhere.

I always find myself longing to know more about Aggie and the men in her life.
Alan
This wasn't my favourite Agatha Raisin book - maybe it was me but I found it hard to maintain my interest and didn't really warm to the characters or town of Fryfam. While she liked having Charles on hand, Agatha spent the whole book being unhappy and miserable. I hope she'll be happier in the next book!
Dharia Scarab

4 sta
JulieLaLa
3.5 stars for this funny and engaging story! This is a light, easy read (just what I needed after my recent books) and Agatha Raisin's character (warts and all) have grown on me! The writing is very good, the mystery engaging, and the supporting cast are great fun!
Michelle
In this 10th book in the series, Agatha has rented a home in the village of Fryfam in hopes that she can leave her romantic disappointments behind her, following the advice of a fortune teller. She is disappointed in the cottage, the weather, and the social life in the village. Strange things begin to occur, with missing objects and odd lights moving around in the garden. She is surprised by a visit from Charles, but when a body turns up, she goes into full detective mode to protect herself and ...more
Helene Harrison
Review - Agatha really annoyed me in this one, which was unusual, and I think Charles is too cavalier with her emotions, however, when they're together the humour is often brilliant. I also loved the little phone calls with Mrs Bloxby as Mrs Bloxby is a great character and the voice of reason. This was actually one of my least favourite Agatha Raisin novels. I miss the characters I know and love, particularly Mrs Bloxby.

Genre? - Crime / Mystery

Characters? - Agatha Raisin / Charles Fraith / Toll
Jeanne Quigley
I enjoyed this installment of Agatha Raisin. It was a good change-of-scenery from her village of Carsely, her detective agency, and the usual cast of characters. Agatha is still her irascible self, and her adventures with friend Sir Charles are entertaining.
Theresa
I really enjoyed this book. I couldn't put the book down. I liked the storyline was shocked at the end cause wasn't expecting what happened to happen. Can't wait to read the next in the series
Mary Jo Valletta
Fairies????

Mildly disappointing , characters that you didn't warm up to . A lot of twists and turns that you didn't care about. The only thing I enjoyed were the cats.
Elizabeth Fancher
Agatha really cracks me up, not many people would do the stuff she does to find love. Not to mention her ideas on how to solve a crime. I love this series.
Jack Chapman
For a long time I resisted the famous Agatha Raisin series as I thought they'd be just too cosy. Well there's an element of cosiness about this book but it's tempered by Ms Raisin's acerbic and forceful personality. The mystery itself is nothing special, the Fairies seem to be a complete red herring (and how often are book titles designed simply to attract the attention rather than accurately describe the contents of the book! One star deducted for that Miss Beaton!) But it's the characters that ...more
Doreen Jones
As always I can rely on a M C Beaton's, Agatha Raisin Mystery for a light heart easy read. Nothing deep and meaningful here, just a relaxing couple of hours away from reality.
  • Hasty Death
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh (Mrs Pargeter, #4)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Speaks Her Mind
  • Murder on the Flying Scotsman (Daisy Dalrymple, #4)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • The Victim In Victoria Station (Dorothy Martin, #5)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Love from Hell (Agatha Raisin, #11)
The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1) Death of a Gossip (Hamish Macbeth, #1) The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2) Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3) Death of a Cad (Hamish Macbeth, #2)