Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #5)

Ella of All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family #5)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  721 ratings  ·  25 reviews
World War I has ended, and Ella, the oldest of the five sisters, who dreams of singing and dancing in the theater, is discovered by a Broadway talent scout. It seems that she will have her chance at a theatrical career after all, starting in vaudeville. But her thoughts are also on Jules, just returned from the War, and marriage. Once again a loving family provides the sup...more
Published March 1st 2000 by Taylor Productions Ltd (first published 1978)

Heather
I was very excited to find this book, a sequel to "All-of-a-Kind-Family", one of my favorite childhood books. It continues in the spirit of its prequel, but is much shorter and less broad. The author does include some stories about Ella's siblings, but these pleasant little anecdotes almost seem to detract from the major storyline, which shows an interesting conflict between Ella's love of family life and her desire to pursue a career onstage. The tension between her two dreams: becoming a famou...more
Violet
Unfortunately I think this is my least favorite all of a kind family book. It is the last in the series. Ella must decide if she wants to marry Jules or go on the stage as a singer. And after singing in a charity concert, she gets a call form Broadway, and it looks like she will go on the stage. She actually meets with a Broadway manager and sings for him. He is delighted and wants her on the stage immediately. But there is one setback. She must spend one year performing in vaudeville, before sh...more
Miriam
This book wasn't bad, but it just doesn't seem to go with the other books in the series. It was written a little later, and the illustrations are in a different style. It does give an interesting picture of what vaudeville was like, and Ella has to make some important decisions, so I think it is definitely worth reading it in order to finish the series. Also, it might be interesting to discuss the ideas about gender roles in this book and how they have changed.
Gale
"At the Crossroads of her Young Life"

In this continuation of the charmingly quaint Turn-of-the-Century NY family series the story focuses on young Ella, who is studying serious voice with Professor Calvano. We meet her fiancé, Jules, who has just returned from duty in WW. Of course her younger siblings also get into typical juvenile scrapes: irrepressible Henny takes a hair cut too far and later defies the all-male tradition by running for term representative—launching her own Women’s Lib movem...more
Alyson
This is far more dated than the other four books in the series, in that "the writing style and the subject matter don't match" kind of a way. The plot ought to best appeal to a high school student, but the illustrations and general feel seem geared toward elementary school. An interesting book, but it's not going to make tons of sense to my 7-year-old.
Samantha
The ending was stupid. But I love the series.
Sumi
The last in the All of a Kind series and somehow it was lacking a lot of the charm of the earlier volumes. The main focus was on eighteen year old Ella, the eldest and her decision to star in a vaudeville production in pursuit of a music career.

To top it all off, Mama is expecting another child and while I realize that in that era it wasn't all that rare to have kids that were as much as eighteen years apart, I just felt it was a contrived plot device and since the book ended before Mama had th...more
Laurie Gold
I hadn't realized that this book existed until several years ago. I'd read all the other books in the All of a Kind Family series as a child, and introduced my daughter to them when she was a child. It wasn't until I went looking at Amazon to buy the series that I discovered Ella's story. My daughter and I both read it, and while we enjoyed it, it seemed a little too much like an "add-on" to the series. I understand Taylor wrote another addition to the series a couple of years after this one, bu...more
Amyem
Jun 05, 2014 Amyem marked it as want_to_buy
in library
Sara B.
This book is a fairly well written book, but parts of it bored me more than I was bored by the other books in this series. The book is about a girl named Ella who wants to become an actress after world war 1. She has four younger sisters and a little brother. She is ready to start her acting career. I would recommend this book to people who like to read about wannabe actors.
Audrey
This book feels different than the other ones in the series. Maybe it is because it focuses centrally on Ella, and the other characters of the family weren't as well represented and fleshed-out. It almost felt like a short story. (view spoiler)
Melody
This wasn't as bad as Downtown but it wasn't very good, either. The illustrations were terrible. Seriously bad. The story is not fresh, the plot line is predictable. It's more or less phoned in.

Interesting how the bad books in this series are accompanied by the bad illustrations. Or what look to me like bad illustrations.
Melissa
This was my least favorite in the series, and I didn't read this one to Paul. I knew it was mostly about Jules' return from the war and Ella's decision to either stay home and marry Jules or follow her dream to be a singer. It was heart warming and a good story, but not as funny and clever as the first four.
Anne
I did say in my review of the book before this one, that I didn't like these books as the girls got older, but then I remembered about this one. I did like this book. As I recall, Ella makes some mistakes and learns from them and it's a gentle love story suitable for a young girl.
Rachel
Too many happenings in this book I did not agree with nor like. :/ Though at the same time, it is a coming-of-age story that might teach some young ones a thing or two. It was okay, but this series will not be a favorite of mine -- too many things I disagree with.
Maureen E
I remembered this being not nearly as good as the rest of the series and, for once, I remembered correctly. While the central dilemma Ella faces is an interesting one, the charm of the earlier books isn’t present. I especially missed the illustrations.
Sue
I loved the AoaKF books, and was excited to find that there was one more book in the series. For some reason this book never worked for (the characters didn't seem that 'true' to the earlier books). Maybe its just because I first read this one as an adult.
Lesley
Ugh. Big disappointment. Jules is back from the war, Ella goes on tour in a vaudeville show, and eventually learns to be a happy little mamelah instead of going for a singing career. Very little of the other family members, and little humor.
Sarah Jane
Sep 14, 2007 Sarah Jane marked it as want-to-read-some-day
I haven't read this yet, but it keeps putting the books I try to put in the folder "want to read some day" in the "read" folder too.
elissa
The last in the series. Ella, the oldest sister, is fairly grown up at this point.
Nicole
I forgot how much I loved this book.
Megan
Not first reading (date below)
Elizabeth
The final book in the series.
jaq
jaq marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2014
Avi
Avi added it
Jul 29, 2014
Ploysang
Ploysang marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
C C
C C marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
  • Betsy Was a Junior (Betsy-Tacy, #7)
  • The Moffat Museum (The Moffats, #4)
  • Movie Shoes (Shoes, #6)
  • A Jar of Dreams
  • Betsy's Little Star
  • The Golden Name Day
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • A is for Annabelle
During the second half of the twentieth century, Sydney Taylor's series, the All-of-a-Kind Family books, were the most widely known books about American Jewish children. Read by Jews and non-Jews alike, the books were beloved from the time they were first published and continue to be beloved today. Set in early-twentieth-century New York City, the five books in the series detail the daily lives of...more
More about Sydney Taylor...
All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #1) All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #4) More All-of-a-Kind Family (All-of-a-Kind Family, #3) All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2) A Papa Like Everyone Else