Start by marking “Winter On The Farm (My First Little House Books)” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Winter On The Farm

Laura Ingalls Wilder

Winter On The Farm (My First Little House Books)

A young farm boy in New York spends a winter afternoon doing barn chores, then sits down to a farm supper with his family.
Published (first published September 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Winter On The Farm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Winter On The Farm

Elaine
Jan 05, 2017 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It crazy when tou compare and contrast Almanzo and Laura's lives.
Hannah
Mar 06, 2017 Hannah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A simple story! My son loved it!
Megan
Jul 13, 2011 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
I've been scouring the local thrift stores looking for copies of "My First Little House" books for my son Peter. They are picture books for children which are based on the Laura Ingalls Wilder stories, and even feature illustrations similar to those done by Garth Williams.

"Winter on the Farm" is definitely Peter's favorite in this series, as it features "Farmer Boy" Almanzo Wilder and all the animals he takes care of in the barn. Almanzo milks the cows, and cleans the stalls, and loves to look a
Terry
I loved the book. It was a cute story with educational benefits. It helps bring history to life for young children/early readers. I didn’t think she would like it as much as she did since it was about a little boy. She liked it because it showed her how a boy her age might have lived.

To read our full review, go to The Reading Tub®.
Kim♥
Dec 04, 2008 Kim♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Much to my delight, my boys who are five and two absolutely love these books! The "My First Little House" series takes stories out of the original little house books and illustrates them beautifully. My boys love to point out each family member and my five year old asks lots of questions. These books have become a wonderful way to introduce history and "the simple life" to my little ones. These books have great family values. :)
Naomi
A great segmented series that breaks out smaller stories from the series. This series is a great introduction to the Laura Ingalls Wilder series to move the young reader onto once they are ready. This book focuses on Almanzo Wilder. BTW..see no mention of a Pearly Day Wilder or a younger brother...figment of tv imagination???
Rachel
Jan 02, 2011 Rachel rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
With warm illustrations and simple, pleasant text--this is not a bad book. As a vegetarian, though, it didn't work out well with the focus being on milking cows and eating pigs. I won't be sharing this with my animal-loving son.
Bree
Oct 22, 2012 Bree rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preschool-books
Notes:
All the books in this series are beautiful.
Great intro to pioneer life, but may not connect to preschoolers with no frame of reference.
Son read them after he first learned to read.
Excerpted from Wilder's actual books.
Andre
Jan 04, 2014 Andre rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, kids
Sometimes adaptations into children's books are done very poorly. In this case it's very well done. The book is age appropriate but not insulting to a child's intelligence. Great artwork makes the story come alive.
Rosa Cline
These "My First Little House Books" are perfect to introduce young readers to Laura Ingallas Wilder! All of these books are wonderful and the illustrations are great!

This one is about Almanzo he takes the reader through a day on the life of a farm boy during the winter.
Jen
Feb 21, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these books! This is part of the My First Little House Books Series and tells the story of Almanzo Wilder's childhood days on his farm in New York during the winter. My boys, who are big farm story fans, really enjoyed this book.
Janae
Mar 25, 2013 Janae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
Cute, homespun stuff. It's based on the Little House series. W was engaged and seemed to like learning a little about the life of a farm boy.
CFAITC
This simple text allows readers to meet Almonzo and learn what he does on a busy day on the family farm.
Jodie
Jun 08, 2011 Jodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully illustrated and captured snipets from the main series. I love the stories, the images and the entire series. I love that they made the series into picture books as well.
Debby
Okay. Used with kindergarten to talk about life in the past.
Theresa
a short retelling of part of the books for younger readers
Adrienne
Mar 04, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A nice little book that introduces readers to life in New York state in the late 1800s. I love Almanzo and seeing the chores he does on the farm.
Jenni
Emily doesn't like "The Farmer Boy" books as much as the books about Laura and Mary but I still do.
Sharlet Mullen
Feb 25, 2013 Sharlet Mullen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
I love the Little House Books it is a quick way to see the life from our past.
Opalstar91
Opalstar91 rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2011
Homa
Homa rated it liked it
Feb 03, 2011
Yami
Yami rated it really liked it
Jan 29, 2008
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it liked it
Apr 17, 2012
Krittika
Krittika rated it it was amazing
Jun 07, 2008
Tracy Laaveg
Tracy Laaveg rated it really liked it
Jun 21, 2016
Marblesaurus
Marblesaurus rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2011
Meghan
Meghan rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Norman the Doorman
  • Peter in Blueberry Land
  • Abe Lincoln: The Boy Who Loved Books
  • The Legend of the Three Trees
  • Fancy Nancy: Poison Ivy Expert (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Brave Young Knight
  • A New Coat for Anna
  • Down Comes the Rain: Let's Read and Find out Science - 2
  • The Star-Spangled Banner
  • The Best Teacher Ever
Ingalls wrote a series of historical fiction books for children based on her childhood growing up in a pioneer family. She also wrote a regular newspaper column and kept a diary as an adult moving from South Dakota to Missouri, the latter of which has been published as a book.
More about Laura Ingalls Wilder...

My First Little House Books (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • My Little House ABC (My First Little House Books)
  • A Little Prairie House
  • My Little House 123 (My First Little House Books)
  • Hello, Laura (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Christmas (My First Little House Books)
  • Christmas in the Big Woods
  • Laura Helps Pa (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Laura's Little House (My First Little House Books)
  • Laura's Garden (My First Little House Books Series)
  • Summertime in the Big Woods