Start by marking “Kate Hannigan” as Want to Read:
Kate Hannigan

Kate Hannigan

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  318 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Dr Rodney Prince's desire for a family had been frozen out by a wife who had wanted Harley Street, not a Tyneside slum. By contrast, Kate Hannigan glowed with a warmth that was out of place in the grime and squalor of the Fifteen Streets. And so, between Rodney Prince, a wealthy man locked in an unhappy marriage, and Kate Hannigan, a bastard child of the slums, grew a love ...more
Published May 1st 1993 by Corgi (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Kate Hannigan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kate Hannigan

Kelley Ross
This novel attempted to join the elite ranks of classic "English Romance Novels" and fell very short. Kate Hannigan is born poor, but has an illegitimate child and somehow ends up living with the very rich Tolmaches, who turn her into a proper lady. This would be fine, if Kate had a little more backbone and wasn't quite so intent on crying her way through the entire novel. What makes this genre of novels spectacular and worth reading is strong female characters...which Kate is not.

Add to that t
Cathy
Kate Hannigan is a story about love that prevails over hopeless odds. Published in 1950, this is Catherine Cookson’s first novel. Although said to be a romantic story, the author disapproved of that title and stated that she wrote about things that she knew; which is why some suggest this novel is partly autobiographical. That said this is a story about overcoming adversity and ultimately a story of the power of love.
Barbra
This is one author, who, for me, has never written a bad book - love all of them.

Back Cover Blurb:
Dr Rodney Prince had never seen a girl who looked more out of place in the grime and squalor of the Fifteen Streets than did Kate Hannigan. He knew she had suffered at the hands of men: Tim Hannigan, her'father', was a vicious bully; John Harrington, a smooth-talking seducer, had left her with his child.
But Rodney Prince's desire for a family had been frozen out by a wife who'd wanted Harley Street,
Very classic romance written in 1950 about a wealthy doctor caught in a terrible marriage and a young woman of dire straights whose illegitimate child he delivers. Set in England and deals with class issues. A very, clean, quick, and satisfying read.
Erin
A powerful story that shows stations in life and how we are bound to them. Kate is strong young woman striving to gain footing beyond the "15 streets" however, event after event lead her right back. Through the kidness of her employers, and a newly found forbiden love she struggles and pains her way into womanhood. She does suceed to finally enjoy happiness. We all are blessed with one life, to focus only the wrongs in it, we waste it. Kate believed that her pain could and would not go on. Her ...more
Donia Hunter
I just couldn't get into this book and didn't finish it. It struck me as mundane. The author jumped all over the place trying to convince the reader that something was of interest when it was not.
Lili
I read all of Catherine Cookson's books some years ago and enjoyed them immensley. I recently re-read all of them and find that on a second look I found them all so very predictable, and was rather disappointed. However I'm sure that it is my tastes that have changed not the calibre of her story telling.
Valerie
Catherine Cookson knows how to build great characters. She dangles them before your emotions and you can't help getting involved in the story. Good read.
Debra
This author may not be "Jane Austin" but she nonetheless tells as wonderful a story of a love that may never be possible....
Linda
A young woman falls in love with a doctor who is trapped in a loveless marriage.
Vickie
I always enjoy the time told stories of CC's books. I feel like I' a part of England.
Miko O.
2.5 stars. It was mildly interesting. I managed to finish it.
Linda
Set in Tyneside England around the time of WWII.
Perry
Perry marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2015
Sandra
Sandra added it
Mar 15, 2015
☆ Ruth ☆
☆ Ruth ☆ marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2015
Mariana
Mariana marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Alexa
Alexa marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
Lois Terrell
Lois Terrell marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
  • Dangerous Grains
  • A Walk in the Clouds
  • Avoimien ovien päivä
  • Someone Special
  • Juoppohullun päiväkirja (Juoppohullun päiväkirja, #1)
  • Jephte's Daughter
  • Looking Back
  • What the Earl Desires (Rakes and Rogues, #1)
  • Salem Street (Gibson Family Saga, #1)
  • An Absolute Scandal
  • The Perfect Happiness
  • Sun and Candlelight
  • The Ravening (Blood Moon, #3)
  • Dark Temptation (Blackheath Moor #2)
Catherine Cookson was born in Tyne Dock, the illegitimate daughter of a poverty-stricken woman, Kate, whom she believed to be her older sister. She began work in service but eventually moved south to Hastings, where she met and married Tom Cookson, a local grammar-school master. Although she was originally acclaimed as a regional writer - her novel The Round Tower won the Winifred Holtby Award for ...more
More about Catherine Cookson...
The Dwelling Place Tilly Trotter The Mallen Streak The Glass Virgin The Black Velvet Gown