Start by marking “Going Home” as Want to Read:
Going Home

Going Home

3.7  ·  Rating Details ·  3,336 Ratings  ·  100 Reviews

Danielle Steel, the author of dozens of stunning bestsellers, is one of the world's most renowned and popular novelists. Now her devoted readers can once again cherish her very first novel Going Home. Here, in a special keepsake edition, is the book that sparked Danielle Steel's sensational career and endeared her to millions of fans worldwide.

In the sunswept beauty of

Published July 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 1973)

Tea Jovanović
Jun 21, 2013 Tea Jovanović rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Prvi roman Danijele Stil i jedan od mojih 20 prevoda njenih romana... Te godine kad je objavljen ovaj prevod imala sam zadovoljstvo i čast da uđem u autorkinu kuću... Nažalost, budući da je moja poseta pala 3 meseca posle samoubistva njenog sina nisam mogla da dobijem od nje intervju za RTS... Ali sam videla kako izgleda mašinerija iza njenih knjiga... Ljude koji za nju obavljaju istraživanja... a možda i pišu čitave knjige... :) A lični asistent joj je bio u to vreme veoma zgodan mladić, kao sa ...more
Elizabeth Lehto
Nov 14, 2011 Elizabeth Lehto rated it did not like it
Shelves: novels, girly-books
One of the other reviews described this book as a car wreck. I wholeheartedly agree. It was a book that was difficult to get through, yet at the same time I didn't want to put it down.
I absolutely hated the main character, Gillian. She spent the book in love with a man who had no redeeming qualities except that he was attractive and "made her happy," yet there was no rationalization as to why he made her so happy, unless being treated like garbage is a turn on for some women.
The whole time I f
Katherine
description
”Every woman falls in love with a bastard at least once in her life.”- Danielle Steel

Setting:New York City and San Francisco; 1973

Cover Thoughts?:Well, my book didn’t have a dust jacket, so all I got was a plain boring hardback book. But from this cover, it looks like a house I’d want to live in. Although, really, the MC never lives in an actual house that looks anywhere near like this.

Plot:
”They stood around us, and watched us go, hand in hand, going home.”
In the sunswept beauty of San Fr
Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~
Sep 06, 2011 Mauoijenn ~ *Mouthy Jenn* ~ rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011-rc
It was like a bad car wreck. You couldn't look away... or in this case put the damn book down. It was full of emotional abuse, which I'm surprised didn't take on the form of physical at times. Of course Gillian chose the wrong man. That's all she ever has chosen. Near the end I was for sure Chris was trying to get out of marring the pregnant Gillian but he really was dead. But life went on for Gillian. Wish I could get some time back from reading this... but like I said for some odd reason I wan ...more
Shravanthi Kripa
May 08, 2015 Shravanthi Kripa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have two words - BULL POOPIE
spongebob bullshit
Sarah Elizabeth Nice
Oct 08, 2013 Sarah Elizabeth Nice rated it it was ok
Shelves: questionable
This book, I first read in high school. I was at least 17 or 18, I know that much. And back then, I thought it was amazing. You know, I was young and hadn't yet started reading a lot of the books in the adult literature section at Barnes & Noble. Well, I finished yet another book this past week and had a sudden craving for Going Home, and decided to read it again. Honestly, I can't believe I adored this book the way I did when I first read it. I must have been so naive. Gillian, first of all ...more
Ira Bespalova
The first book by Steel I've ever read. The feelings are ambiguous. The book seemed to be total trash in the beginning. The main protagonist Gillian pissed me off, I must admit, mainly because of her strange attitude to love and relations between men and women. I was perplexed and puzzled at how she kept forgiving that badass Chris who was cheating on her continuously. There were other men around who could make her happy and she kept dragging behind that Chrissy-boy and ruining her life to piece ...more
Lauren Hansgen
Feb 05, 2015 Lauren Hansgen rated it did not like it
Shelves: genre-discussion
I read this for genre discussion at work. What a steaming pile of shit. Good riddance.
Kathryn
Dec 08, 2014 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Home is a contemporary story - contemporary for its early 70s publication time - but I wouldn't call it a romance. When I opened the book to find a first person POV I held back a groan. It's not a POV Steel utilizes often, but the last one of hers I read with it wasn't a favorite. If first person has an advantage here, though, it prevented the dreaded info-dump before the action.

This is a story about a divorced mother, Gillian, who freelances as a set stylist. If there's a more technical term fo
Chante
Aug 13, 2012 Chante rated it liked it
Funny enough, I had no interest in wanting to read this book. I simply found it in my mom's closet, grabbed it as a book to read commuting to work and bam! It was good! I didn't even realize I was reading a Danielle Steel book. Couldn't put it down for awhile honestly.

There are parts towards the end which do drag on ... Like really drag on, but the way it was written made it interesting and intriguing enough for me to read through it. I enjoyed this one. Mind you, I did want to slap the main cha
Kris - My Novelesque Life
Feb 11, 2015 Kris - My Novelesque Life rated it did not like it
1 STARS

"In the sunswept beauty of San Francisco, Gillian Forrester is filled with the joy of a love that will surely last. But a painful betrayal forces her to flee to New York and a new life. There she discovers an exciting new career and a deep, enveloping passion...only to have her newfound happiness shaken to its core. Now Gillian must choose between her future and her past, to find in the deepest desires of her heart the one way, the only way of...Going Home." (From Amazon)

Originally when I
Jacqueline
May 15, 2013 Jacqueline rated it did not like it
Shelves: own
I don’t even know where to start with this book.

I have never been so angry while reading before. The characters were either annoying or just mean and hateful. The storyline is all over the place and sometimes you find yourself lost and don’t even know what is happening. This isn't one that I want to read again. When I first picked this up I really wanted to love it, but I just ended up angry and wanted to give up reading it altogether.

I'm not one that hates anything I read. I really thought I w
Jolene
Feb 05, 2016 Jolene rated it did not like it
Seriously? That's what I thought on every other page of this book.
Since it was February I thought I would read a romance. Who better than the queen of romance herself? Danielle Steel! I hadn't read a book by her since I was 14 or 15. So I decided to start at the beginning with her first novel.
It was brutal! I wanted to shake the main character and I detested Chris. Like really detested him.
The best thing about the entire book was the last page.
Freyja Vanadis
Oct 29, 2011 Freyja Vanadis rated it really liked it
This isn't the edition I have - I have an original paperback published in 1973 by Pocket Books. At any rate, I first read this in 1982 at the tender, impressionable age of 19, and I loved it. Yes, it's cheesy and overwrought and melodramatic, and the hippie style wouldn't hold up today, but it hit me hard back in those days. I strongly dislike romance novels, and I think I've only read one or two other of Steel's books, but this one was enjoyable.
Allison L
Jun 10, 2015 Allison L rated it did not like it
Where do I begin?

Well...this was recommended to me by one of my residents at work. She lent me her copy of it and wanting to be able to connect with her I decided to give it a shot. Honestly, I should have known better. It took me a week to finish...and I spent most of that time cringing. And yet I couldn't stop because it was like watching a train wreck...I had to know how it was going to end.

Still...regardless...definitely not the book for me!
Jennifer  Bean Blake
This is the first Danielle Steel book I read. I was probably 12 and thinking back it was probably too mature for me, but I still remember the story and have gone back and read it many times since then.
Lynette
Jun 13, 2012 Lynette rated it it was amazing
I read this book when i was so young and shouldn't have been reading such books yet.
It made me cry rivers....Gillian just loved that wrong guy Chris and he really took her for a ride...a rough one i must say
Lisa Tijms
mwah mwah. Ik had er meer van verwacht. Ik ergerde me een beetje aan de hoofdpersoon, aan haar veel te relaxte vriend, en toen het beter werd, was het gelijk 4dubbeldikke drama. Al met al wel vermakelijk en prima voor t slapen gaan.
Amy
Nov 22, 2008 Amy rated it did not like it
Glad this wasn't the first Danielle Steel book I ever read...I would never have read another one.
Ellen
Dec 02, 2007 Ellen rated it it was amazing
this is the one an only book i ever purposely stole from the library.

it's that good.

especially when you're 12.

couldn't find the right cover art though. Dammit!
Tonya
Jun 09, 2008 Tonya rated it it was amazing
This is probably the only Danielle Steel novel I would ever consider re-reading.
Anne
May 10, 2017 Anne rated it did not like it
Really fuxking terrible.
Juliana Lombana
Mar 06, 2017 Juliana Lombana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
No sabía mucho de esta obra, fue un regalo más bien misterioso de una tía, y ahora le agradezco por esta enriquecedora lectura.

Muchas personas le dan malas calificaciones al libro por el personaje de Gillian y su relación tan horrible con Chris y con ella misma, pero precisamente valoro la capacidad de Danielle Steel de mostrar a una persona en una etapa tan baja, porque realmente muchas personas se comportan así, y hacer sentir a los lectores tantas emociones que hacen que crean que es un mal l
Penina Blazer
Mar 05, 2017 Penina Blazer rated it liked it
Found this book at my parents' house and decided it would be a good quick read. I think it's Danielle Steel's first book. Funny to see how times have changed - pregnant woman drinking and smoking, Pan Am Airlines, plus assorted other things that have changed 40+ years after this was written.
Cathy Stansell
Feb 22, 2017 Cathy Stansell rated it it was amazing
Daniell Steele knows how to bring you into a book and make you cry, or laugh. This book is Awesome
Isis Ray-sisco
I kept going back and forth about whether to rate this a 2 or a 3. I finally settled on the 2. I am so glad that this wasn't the first book I read by Danielle Steel because I doubt I would have ever picked up another book by her. I would have lost out on a bunch of good books too. I am a huge fan of this author but I didn't like this book that much at all.

The biggest reasons being I couldn't stand the main characters. I didn't like Gillian or Chris. Chris was a number 1 douche bag and Gillian w
Kerryn (RatherBeReading)
Dec 08, 2014 Kerryn (RatherBeReading) rated it did not like it
Bookjunk
Feb 16, 2016 Bookjunk rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2016
I absolutely hated this book.

The main character, Gillian Forrester is, a complete idiot. For some unfathomable reason, she falls in love with Chris Matthews, a dick who cares about no one but himself. According to our airhead heroine, Chris is funny. Well, I guess if faking a heart attack and pretending to kidnap a woman at gunpoint are considered funny then her first love interest is simply hilarious.

The other characters in the novel don’t fare much better. Not one of them manages to transcen
Nasaria
Sep 12, 2015 Nasaria rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danielle-steel
If I was 12 years old, I would love this book. I really wanted to like this novel, however, I do not. I finished reading "Going Home" out of respect for the author and share curiosity on how the author would end the story. It was NOT as interesting or romantic as I thought it would be. I found the novel long and exhausting to read. The main character lacked maturity and borderline obsessive with her lover, Chris. Throughout the novel I wanted to smack the main character while other times I felt ...more
Nadia
Jun 25, 2015 Nadia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Otra gran historia de esta gran autora. Sobre su narrativa no puedo decir más que es PERFECTA, y sobre la historia... quizás no es la mejor de las que he leído, pero tampoco es mala.
La protagonista me resultó muy tonta para no ser una adolescente, y muchas veces hasta inmadura, pero tampoco era para que le ocurrieran cosas tan tristes. El final de Chris no me lo esperaba, fue lo más sorprendente de toda la historia. Su personaje no me caía para nada bien pero tampoco le deseaba algo así. Desde e
Goodreads Librari...: Duplicate Books 4 16 Apr 20, 2015 10:02AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: Going Home 1 4 Nov 20, 2012 03:08AM
  • The Lives of Danielle Steel: The Unauthorized Biography of America's #1 Best-Selling Author
  • Tangled Vines
  • Twins
  • First Impressions / Blithe Images
  • Gypsy
  • Prelude to Reveille:  A Vietnam Awakening
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more
More about Danielle Steel...