Start by marking “Foundation / Foundation and Empire / Second Foundation / The Stars, Like Dust / The Naked Sun / I, Robot” as Want to Read:

4.32 of 5 stars 4.32  ·  rating details  ·  2,806 ratings  ·  31 reviews
In this landmark of imaginative fiction, winner of a special Hugo Award as Best All Time Science Fiction Series, Asimov has brilliantly conceived a whole new world for mankind, set far in the future and spanning a period of more than a thousand years.

Foundation, describes how one man creates a new force for civilised life as the old Galactic Empire crumbles into barbarism.
Published January 1st 1981 by Book Sales

Be the first to ask a question about Foundation / Foundation and Empire / Second Foundation / The Stars, Like Dust / The Naked Sun / I, Robot

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee1984 by George OrwellThe Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. TolkienThe Catcher in the Rye by J.D. SalingerThe Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Best Books of the 20th Century
238th out of 6,230 books — 41,928 voters
Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardDune by Frank Herbert1984 by George OrwellFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyBrave New World by Aldous Huxley
Best Science Fiction & Fantasy Books
238th out of 4,961 books — 17,189 voters

More lists with this book...

Eric
d-- have you read the foundation series yet? if not, shame on you! it might be a little dry, but it's the finest bit of sci-fi world-building that i think i've ever read. yeah, yeah, people will argue with me about that, but some of the worlds people build i have a really hard time actually "seeing" -- no matter how much detail there is. but with asimov, i felt like i was there. this place was real and might truly be a part of our (far) future. and psycho-history is an amazing concept -- i might ...more
Fred Hughes
Asimov at his best, which is out of this world.

A prolific writter with a wicked sense of the impossible and able to bring you along on the ride.

100's of books written. Hour after hour of enjoyment
Lisa (Harmonybites)
Apr 30, 2010 Lisa (Harmonybites) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science Fiction
The trilogy of books Foundation, Foundation and Empire and Second Foundation are among the best Asimov ever wrote among his science-fiction novels and among his most influential. I've read it was based on Gibbon's Rise and Fall of the Roman Empire. Only this empire spans the galaxy. Hari Seldon predicts through "psychohistory" the empire will fall within 300 years and establishes a foundation to manipulate history to shorten the dark ages that will follow. The fascination is seeing how all that ...more
Tyler
I love science fiction, but I did not love these books. For me, Asimov's appeal lies in his incredible vision: the technological advances he predicts, together with the rich history and culture he invents. Unfortunately, I feel that his characters are terribly weak, and exist only as necessary (and perhaps unwelcome) literary devices that showcase his world. His lack of focus on character depth, combined with the vast jumps in time between each novel, made me lose interest rather quickly.

If you
Roger Cottrell
Interesting that The Naked Sun is placed here with the Foundation Trilogy and I Robot - the latter now familiar to audiences through the Will Smith version. The Foundation trilogy is interesting for its allegories about Vietnam (and with psycho-history a kind of parody on Marxism) but for me the Elijah Bailey series of noir detective stories set off world were Asimov's greatest achievements. The Naked Sun and The Caves of Steel? magnificent! Reminding us that Asimov was also a crime writer and a ...more
Jacob
NOTE: This review concerns only I, Robot, not any of the other included books. It's been too long since I've read the other ones to consider a review of them :/

I really enjoyed I, Robot. Mr. Asimov has an astonishing talent for making you think and surprising you with the outcomes and reasoning behind them. Truly enjoyable books. Also, if you are coming in to the book expecting it to be anything like the movie of Will Smith fame, you are going to be surprised. They are almost nothing alike. ;)
AF
In all fairness, I only read I, Robot out of curiosity after having seen the Will Smith movie. I've had this book probably 15 years and never picked it up until now. I'm sure for Asimov, the story is excellent (it was pretty interesting, though the only thing of his works I've read thus far). Film completely unlike the book--naturally, do not bother to compare them. The story itself, more of a chronicling of events than a gripping page turner, but still worthy of notice for sci-fi fans.

Mike
Mar 05, 2009 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone, sci-fi fan or no
Recommended to Mike by: I found it in the library
The Foundation Trilogy had to be one of Asimov's best, in my opinion.

As for short stories, his I, Robot series is very engaging, even for those that do not care for science fiction. They are, in many ways, studies in human nature (and for those that have seen the movie: I, Robot; the stories of the series put out by Asimov, were not followed AT ALL. The movie was completely different (except for the stolen title).
Pan
This collection is timeless and thought-provoking. It remains a treasure trove for both readers and writers of hard science fiction, though it was written decades ago. Isaac Osimov exemplifies the well-tailored use of everyman style, delivering easily read stories, though complex in formula.
Alex
Best series of sci-fi I've ever read so far. Read this many times.
Aretha
My first introduction to science fiction came accidentally into our house instead of the children's dictionary my mum had ordered from the book club. It took me forever to read but i loved the foundation trilogy and recently re-read I, Robot.
Sean Camoni
I liked these novels. Hard to read them all back to back, though. They're dated and a little slow at times. But fascinating to see where so much of the sci fi I love came from.
Fredrick Danysh
This is a wonderful collection of the Foundation Trilogy and the Robot novels all in one place. This is some of Asimov's best science fiction.
Lindalee Stahlman
My appreciation of Asimov was heightened when I read the foundation and robot books in chronological order of the universe-not of publication.
Scott Nash
Don't know why they are merged in this big lump, but I read them all and liked them all, though not all as much as the others.
Hera Morgan
Hi I am Hera Morgan and i have read that book to nanana so you are neveron anymore please write back lov ya
Marlene Debo
My FAVORITE universe! I am very sad that Asimov won't be writing anymore of these stories for me...
Xaviar
thought it kinda dragged but read it a long time ago...perhaps I will read it again.
Florin Pitea
A wealth of classical science fiction in one omnibus volume. Recommended.
Jul 18, 2010 Laura added it
These books are like cousins they I enjoyed but have not seen in a long time.
Mike Carey
What an imaginative world Asimov creates. I loved this series
Eric
Nov 13, 2008 Eric rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Science fiction fans.
This is the best of Isaac Asimov, and essential reading.
David
My first extended foray into science fiction.
Zelda
this is the actual book I read
Phil
more classic reading!
Barbk
I loved the Foundation!!!
David Schwartz
The gold plated model for all
Mike
Nov 19, 2007 Mike rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
The basic Asimov, read it.
John
fiction,science fiction
David
Good at the time
  • Inferno (Isaac Asimov's Caliban, #2)
  • Vorkosigan's Game (Omnibus: The Vor Game \ Borders of Infinity)
  • Araminta Station (Cadwal Chronicles, #1)
  • The Green Hills of Earth
  • The Hyperion Omnibus: Hyperion / The Fall of Hyperion
  • Red Lightning (Thunder and Lightning, #2)
  • Perseus Spur: An Adventure of The Rampart Worlds
  • Players Of Null-a (Null-A, #2)
  • The Sentinel
  • Man-Kzin Wars 3 (Man-Kzin Wars, #3)
  • The Way the Future Was: A Memoir
  • Poor Folk and Other Stories
  • Norby Through Time and Space (Norby, #5-6)
  • The Dancer From Atlantis
  • The Tripods Trilogy (The Tripods, #1-3)
  • The Reality Dysfunction 2: Expansion (Night's Dawn 1)
  • Battle Circle (Battle Circle, #1-3)
  • Millennium

Professor Asimov is generally considered the most prolific writer of all time, having written or edited more than 500 books and an estimated 90,000 letters and postcards. He has works published in nine of the te
More about Isaac Asimov...
Foundation (Foundation, #1) I, Robot (Robot, #0.1) Foundation and Empire (Foundation, #2) Second Foundation (Foundation, #3) The Foundation Trilogy (Foundation, #1-3)