Start by marking “Seal Child” as Want to Read:
Seal Child

Seal Child

Published March 1st 1991 by Skylark (first published October 1st 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Seal Child, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Seal Child

The Folk Keeper by Franny BillingsleyThe Selkie Pact by Judith FullertonTides by Betsy CornwellA Stranger Came Ashore by Mollie HunterThe Brides of Rollrock Island by Margo Lanagan
Selkies
151 books — 30 voters
Ingo by Helen DunmoreThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. RowlingSirena by Donna Jo Napoli
Sea Creatures
556 books — 819 voters

More lists with this book...

Bryn
Oct 12, 2016 Bryn rated it it was ok
Maggie
May 22, 2008 Maggie rated it liked it
CIP: "While entranced by the seals that swim off the shore of the Maine island she visits during holidays, sixth grader Molly befriends an interesting girl her age who seems different from other humans."

Maggie: Young Molly, desperate for new friends, finds what she is looking for in a mysterious new visitor to the island on which her family vacations. This is an intriguing novel, especially given that it is Peck's debut work for young readers, but I had some trouble with the author's liberties w
Nerija
This story introduced me to the selkie legend (Peck modifies it a bit) and I’ve been hooked ever since. Just like Alice in Kevin Henke’s Junonia, Molly is a very relatable protagonist. She wants to feel more mature, but still has her insecure moments – moments when she wants to keep her best friend all to herself. The one thing that didn’t work for me was how quickly and easily Molly believed Meara’s secret. It didn’t seem realistic, even for a fantasy.

Even so, this was another book I borrowed m
Rhapsody
Mar 02, 2008 Rhapsody rated it liked it
I read this one when I was a kid. It made me cry at the end. My recollection of it now is kind of hazy... You've got a girl (let's call her girl1) visiting a relative somewhere, and that relative has a girl (girl2) about the same age staying with her. Girl2 is kind of mysterious, but she and girl1 become friends. Girl2 stays away from the ocean but can swim in clear water. There's selkie mythology thrown in, but I don't want to spoil it for anyone (not that it takes much to put the pieces togeth ...more
Maggie
Nov 04, 2012 Maggie rated it it was amazing
This book is so beautiful and so sad. I first read it when I was just a kid, and the memory of it stayed with me for years. I recently bought a used copy from Amazon, and upon re-reading, it is just as good as I remembered it. A lovely, heartbreaking book about friendship and loss.
Hallee
Nov 06, 2010 Hallee rated it really liked it
This was one of my favorite books when I was a kid. The imagery is extremely vivid and haunting. Even now, when the air has a certain crispness to it, I am jolted back to the shores of Maine where this story takes place. And I still wish to become a selkie.
Chloe Wiccith
Jan 23, 2009 Chloe Wiccith rated it it was amazing
Seal Child is a great children's book. The story is fascinating and is good for any age. I read this book in third grade and was amazed by this fabulous work. All my friends have read and loved this book. I believe that it is something worth charishing for generations.
Jul 25, 2014 Sarah rated it really liked it
For some reason I've always been in love with the myth of the selkie and so when I read this book as a young girl it made a deep impression on me. I cried at the end of it.
Summer
Nov 18, 2010 Summer rated it it was amazing
When I was 10 or so, this was my #1 favorite book in existence. I would love to have it to read again!!
Lynda Wylde
Oct 09, 2009 Lynda Wylde rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens-books
Completely enchanting and wonderful story that takes place on a Maine island. Molly meets a girl named Meara who has quite a secret. Lots of windy beaches, roaring fires and mystery. Lovely.
Nicoleta
Feb 27, 2011 Nicoleta rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite, fantasy
An extraordinary book about true friendship and how we only realize what we have only after we lost it . Myths become true and when she discovers the true is too late.
Hayley
Hayley rated it really liked it
May 27, 2011
Lauren
Lauren rated it liked it
Jan 16, 2015
Vicki
Vicki rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2008
Carolyn Boettger
Carolyn Boettger rated it really liked it
Jun 30, 2007
Ilana
Ilana rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Swanblood
Swanblood rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2017
Lilly buckley
Lilly buckley rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2009
Sam
Sam rated it really liked it
Feb 19, 2012
Ray
Ray rated it it was amazing
Aug 09, 2008
Elizabeth Lavelle
Elizabeth Lavelle rated it really liked it
Jan 01, 2015
Sara
Sara rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2011
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Nov 30, 2014
Shiri
Nov 26, 2007 Shiri rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-childhood
I loved this book as a child. Some of its images have actually stayed with me.
Hana Davis
Hana Davis rated it it was amazing
May 19, 2013
Duckie
Duckie rated it really liked it
Aug 13, 2016
Kavita
Kavita rated it it was amazing
Mar 04, 2016
Shannon Noel Brady
May 03, 2015 Shannon Noel Brady rated it really liked it
One of my most beloved childhood books.
Brittany
Brittany rated it really liked it
May 23, 2008