Hold Tight the Thread

Hold Tight the Thread (Tender Ties Historical #3)

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  215 ratings  ·  15 reviews
BASED ON A TRUE STORY

In a land occupied by foreign powers and torn by confusion and conflict, a mother seeks to weave her family and her past into a fabric that will not tear.

Their Lives Were Woven by Wars and Wilderness Places, and Tied by the Peace of Family and Faith.

As the 1840s bring conflict to the Pacific Northwest’s rugged Columbia Country, new challenges face Mari...more
Published April 20th 2004 by WaterBrook Press (first published April 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Hold Tight the Thread, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hold Tight the Thread

Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Brothers K by David James DuncanHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Pacific Northwest Books
109th out of 466 books — 280 voters
A Name of Her Own by Jane KirkpatrickA Sweetness to the Soul by Jane KirkpatrickLove to Water My Soul by Jane KirkpatrickA Gathering of Finches by Jane KirkpatrickAll Together in One Place by Jane Kirkpatrick
Best of Jane Kirkpatrick
9th out of 29 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Rachel Crooks
The novel begins with Marie and her daughter, Marguerite, staring up at the stars on the eve of Marguerite's wedding. What really caught my interest was how Kirkpatrick voiced the questions in each woman's mind - the mother, wondering if she had imparted to her daughter everything she would need to know as a wife, and the daughter, filled with anxiety for what marriage will bring. Soon enters Marie's younger daughter Mary Ann, plagued with self-doubt and feeling that she is overlooked in favor...more
Claudia
Jun 12, 2011 Claudia rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lindsay and Cindy
This book ends the series of three in the "Tender Ties Historical Series". They are especially interesting to me because of my Indian heritage. The story tells of the hardship and struggle of a brave Indian mother making the trip across the Rockies from Iowa to the Pacific Northwest in 1811. She made that trip by boat, foot and horseback with her husband and two small boys. This last book was very good....the best of the series, I think. I learned a lot from these books, mostly how extremely spo...more
Delene
This third book in the series was very thought provoking. The author takes the time to explore the deepest yearnings and turbulent journey of a womans heart in her later years while weaving an interesting tale of the events that may have shaped her life. This well researched fictional story about a real woman may prompt further interest in the colorful history of our conuntry.
Karen
This is the last in the Tender Ties series. It appealed to me because I love history of the American West. While this is a novelization, it does accurately depict life at that time - especially for women. It covers a location in history (American North West)during the development of fur trade wars between Astor and the Hudson Bay Company. Not an easy read.
Toni
The last book in the Tender Ties Historical series from Jane Kirkpatrick. As with the previous two books, this is also an excellent book. Marie is now in her later years of life coping with her faith, family and mental illness. Marie and her family have settled and are making roots in the area of the Oregon territory that is now know as the Willamette valley.
Kristen Ballam Burkhardt
The third book in the series and not nearly as captivating. I gave up after a couple chapters and am waiting to finish it. Don't let that stop you from reading the first book (A Name of Her Own).
Katrina
A good series about another "mother of our Country" her wit, determination, skill and her journey with God. Jane Kirkpatrik wove the true story of Marie Dorion into a good read.
Maryd
I really enjoyed this series, probably because it is set in Washington and Oregon, and I learned more about our regional history. Great books!
Maura

I mistakenly started this series with this book instead of the first so I missed a lot of the background.
Andrea
Feb 12, 2010 Andrea marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-to-read
was pretty bored through the 2nd book in the series, probably won't waste time on this one.
Sheryl
I did not listen to too much of this. It was hard for me to understand and boring.
Joy
The life of Madam Dorion continues, don't be left out, read all in the series :)
Amber
I really enjoyed this book series.
Susie

Dec 04, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Kir
Cathleen
Cathleen marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
T
T marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
♥ Sandi
♥ Sandi marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2014
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
More about Jane Kirkpatrick...
All Together in One Place (Kinship and Courage Series, #1) The Daughter's Walk A Name of Her Own No Eye Can See (Kinship and Courage Series #2) A Clearing in the Wild (Change and Cherish Historical #1)