Start by marking “Hold Tight the Thread” as Want to Read:
Hold Tight the Thread

Hold Tight the Thread (Tender Ties Historical #3)

4.29  ·  Rating Details  ·  273 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
BASED ON A TRUE STORY

In a land occupied by foreign powers and torn by confusion and conflict, a mother seeks to weave her family and her past into a fabric that will not tear.

Their Lives Were Woven by Wars and Wilderness Places, and Tied by the Peace of Family and Faith.

As the 1840s bring conflict to the Pacific Northwest’s rugged Columbia Country, new challenges face Mari
Published April 20th 2004 by WaterBrook (first published April 1st 2004)

Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie FordThe Brothers K by David James Duncan
Pacific Northwest Books
137th out of 607 books — 401 voters
Where Lilacs Still Bloom by Jane KirkpatrickLove to Water My Soul by Jane KirkpatrickAll Together in One Place by Jane KirkpatrickNo Eye Can See by Jane KirkpatrickWhat Once We Loved by Jane Kirkpatrick
Best of Jane Kirkpatrick
20th out of 37 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Nancy
Sep 27, 2015 Nancy added it
Shelves: books-read-list
read in haiti
Rachel Crooks
Apr 16, 2010 Rachel Crooks rated it really liked it
The novel begins with Marie and her daughter, Marguerite, staring up at the stars on the eve of Marguerite's wedding. What really caught my interest was how Kirkpatrick voiced the questions in each woman's mind - the mother, wondering if she had imparted to her daughter everything she would need to know as a wife, and the daughter, filled with anxiety for what marriage will bring. Soon enters Marie's younger daughter Mary Ann, plagued with self-doubt and feeling that she is overlooked in favor ...more
Claudia
Jun 12, 2011 Claudia rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Lindsay and Cindy
This book ends the series of three in the "Tender Ties Historical Series". They are especially interesting to me because of my Indian heritage. The story tells of the hardship and struggle of a brave Indian mother making the trip across the Rockies from Iowa to the Pacific Northwest in 1811. She made that trip by boat, foot and horseback with her husband and two small boys. This last book was very good....the best of the series, I think. I learned a lot from these books, mostly how extremely spo ...more
Delene
Sep 11, 2010 Delene rated it really liked it
This third book in the series was very thought provoking. The author takes the time to explore the deepest yearnings and turbulent journey of a womans heart in her later years while weaving an interesting tale of the events that may have shaped her life. This well researched fictional story about a real woman may prompt further interest in the colorful history of our conuntry.
Karen
Jun 13, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok
This is the last in the Tender Ties series. It appealed to me because I love history of the American West. While this is a novelization, it does accurately depict life at that time - especially for women. It covers a location in history (American North West)during the development of fur trade wars between Astor and the Hudson Bay Company. Not an easy read.
Toni
Jul 25, 2007 Toni rated it it was amazing
The last book in the Tender Ties Historical series from Jane Kirkpatrick. As with the previous two books, this is also an excellent book. Marie is now in her later years of life coping with her faith, family and mental illness. Marie and her family have settled and are making roots in the area of the Oregon territory that is now know as the Willamette valley.
Kristen Ballam Burkhardt
The third book in the series and not nearly as captivating. I gave up after a couple chapters and am waiting to finish it. Don't let that stop you from reading the first book (A Name of Her Own).
Katrina
Feb 20, 2013 Katrina rated it it was amazing
A good series about another "mother of our Country" her wit, determination, skill and her journey with God. Jane Kirkpatrik wove the true story of Marie Dorion into a good read.
Maryd
Jan 16, 2009 Maryd rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this series, probably because it is set in Washington and Oregon, and I learned more about our regional history. Great books!
Maura
Jun 16, 2012 Maura rated it it was ok

I mistakenly started this series with this book instead of the first so I missed a lot of the background.
Andrea
Feb 12, 2010 Andrea marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-to-read
was pretty bored through the 2nd book in the series, probably won't waste time on this one.
Sheryl
Nov 01, 2010 Sheryl rated it did not like it
Shelves: car-e-books
I did not listen to too much of this. It was hard for me to understand and boring.
Joy
Oct 16, 2008 Joy rated it it was amazing
The life of Madam Dorion continues, don't be left out, read all in the series :)
Jun 16, 2016 Laura rated it it was amazing
This is another incredible series by Jane Kirkpatrick.
Amber
Jul 21, 2008 Amber rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book series.
Katherine
May 23, 2016 Katherine rated it it was amazing
Shelves: prior-to-2015
Tender Ties series #3 (final)
Susie

Dec 04, 2008 Cws added it
Shelves: young-adult
YA Kir
Milinn
Milinn rated it really liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Betty Ann Hovey
Betty Ann Hovey marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Melody Grimes
Melody Grimes marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Jul 24, 2016
Tracy Osborn
Tracy Osborn marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Cathy Hudson
Cathy Hudson rated it it was amazing
Jul 09, 2016
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2016
Jill
Jill marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2016
  • Kansas Courtship (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #3)
  • High Plains Bride (After the Storm: The Founding Years, #1)
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke, #1-3)
  • A Bright Tomorrow (American Century, #1)
  • The Midwife's Legacy
  • The Prairie Romance Collection: 9 Historical Romances from America's Great Plains
  • The Curate of Glaston
  • Tears in a Bottle
  • Highland Legacy: Four Generations of Love Are Rooted in Scotland
  • The Hand-Me-Down Family
  • Folly's Bride (Brides of Montclair, #4)
  • Times and Seasons (Seasons, #3)
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • Family of the Heart
  • Like Gold Refined (A Prairie Legacy, # 4)
  • Emma's Gift (The Wortham Family Series, #2)
  • Kansas Brides: Stranger's Bride/Never a Bride/Bittersweet Bride/His Brother's Bride
  • Finding Hope
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
More about Jane Kirkpatrick...

Tender Ties Historical (3 books)
  • A Name of Her Own
  • Every Fixed Star (Tender Ties Historical, #2)