Start by marking “Every Fixed Star (Tender Ties Historical, #2)” as Want to Read:
Every Fixed Star (Tender Ties Historical, #2)

Every Fixed Star (Tender Ties Historical #2)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Continuing the Tender Ties Historical Series, Every Fixed Star brings readers more of the dramatic, fictionalized account of Marie Dorion: the real-life woman who was the first mother to cross the Rocky Mountains and remain in the Northwest. In Book Two of the series, Marie learns the value of a tender heart, the faith of distant friends, and the act of holding life’s circ ...more
Published June 17th 2003 by WaterBrook Press (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Every Fixed Star, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Every Fixed Star

Snow Falling on Cedars by David GutersonSometimes a Great Notion by Ken KeseyThe Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman AlexieThe Brothers K by David James DuncanHotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
Pacific Northwest Books
129th out of 477 books — 292 voters
A Name of Her Own by Jane KirkpatrickA Sweetness to the Soul by Jane KirkpatrickLove to Water My Soul by Jane KirkpatrickA Gathering of Finches by Jane KirkpatrickAll Together in One Place by Jane Kirkpatrick
Best of Jane Kirkpatrick
8th out of 29 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Becky
I liked that although it is a work of fiction, it is based on facts from that time period/area. It was a bit slow at times, but overall an interesting read. Being as it is the second in a three book series and I haven't read the other two, I could still follow the story without being totally lost. I thought she did a good job of bringing closer to the story, although their is obviously more to be told in book three and one unanswered question in particular.
Astrida
This inspirational story is based on truth. By 1814, the Astor expedition Marie had joined with family has disintegrated. New trials confront Marie: an abrupt end to love, separation from friends, disappearance of a child and a painful division from another. Through it all she struggles to know her purpose. She ultimately discovers that gifts come in many forms and are to be accepted and treasured.
"My mother always said to keep my eyes open for the unexpected good, the little treasures."
Lorraine
This is #2 from Jane Kirkpatrick's "Tender Ties Historical Series". The story of Marie Dorion, of the Iowa Tribe, (who, like Sacajawea, who led the Lewis and Clark Expedition 6 years prior) is remembered for leading white men to the Oregon Territory. She was the only woman in the 11 month, gruelling 3500 mile Astoria Expedition which ended in 1812. This woman's strength, perseverance and survival instincts are legendary.
Toni
Another excellent book from Jane Kirkpatrick and a great series. This the second book in the Tender Ties Historical series from Jane. Once again this is a wonderful and inspiring book about the struggles of Marie Dorion. This book finds Marie and her two sons living in the Pacific Northwest territory’s Okanogan settlement in 1814. Marie proves to be a survivor.
Susie

Enjoyed this book and can't wait to finish the series! Marie Dorian Vernier Toupin was an amazing woman by historical accounts and this fictionalized account of her life and struggles is a great read!
Andrea
I enjoyed the history and everything and getting to know the characters but it just got really long!! Don't think I"m going to try the third.
Liz Hedgpeth
Started it, and realized that it was #2 in a series. Wasn't understanding it. Should read #1 first I guess. Didn't finish it.
Dawn
Continuing the fictionalized account of real person Marie Dorion. Her life in the Pacific NW and the trials she goes through.
Amber
Great book. A little long with lots of characters to keep track of, but so interesting.
Ronda Jones
great book better as the story gets going.
Joy
See review on first book in the series
Hollis
May 20, 2009 Hollis marked it as to-read
sequel to 'A name of her own'
Susan LaVictoire
Oct 02, 2013 PWRL marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-new
A
Cathy Emerson
Cathy Emerson marked it as to-read
Dec 18, 2014
Sue G
Sue G marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Tina
Tina marked it as to-read
Nov 28, 2014
Genny Moore
Genny Moore marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Joyce
Joyce marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Isis Ray-sisco
Isis Ray-sisco marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2014
Tangie
Tangie added it
Oct 09, 2014
  • The Stonewycke Trilogy (Stonewycke Trilogy #1-3)
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • Soaring Eagle (Prairie Winds, #2)
  • The Curate of Glaston
  • Child of Promise (Brides of Culdee Creek, #4)
  • Say to This Mountain (Shiloh Legacy #3)
  • Handpicked Husband (Texas Grooms, #1)
  • Beauty for Ashes
  • Her Captain's Heart (Gabriel Sisters, #1)
  • The Solitary Envoy (Heirs of Acadia, #1)
  • Katie's Dream: A Novel (The Wortham Family Series, #3)
  • A Perfect Love (Heavenly Daze #4)
  • Wanted: A Family
  • Valley of Dreams (Wild West Wind #1)
Kirkpatrick brings us a story of one woman's restoration from personal grief to the meaning of community."
More about Jane Kirkpatrick...
The Daughter's Walk All Together in One Place (Kinship and Courage Series, #1) A Name of Her Own No Eye Can See (Kinship and Courage Series #2) A Clearing in the Wild (Change and Cherish Historical #1)

“My mother always said to keep my eyes open for the unexpected good, the little treasures.” 5 likes
“Kindness is the beaded belt that binds all together. Expect kindness. Whatever you give out will be returned” 0 likes