Start by marking “Paradise Fought: Abel (Paradise #1)” as Want to Read:
Paradise Fought: Abel (Paradise #1)

Paradise Fought: Abel (Paradise #1)

I'm not a fighter.
I was born into a fighting family. As the middle child, I was overlooked in favor of my older brother.
He took the negative attention, too. In comparison, there's nothing special about me.
I’m not as big as Cobra. I’m not as strong as Cobra. He's the alpha.
I'm a beta.
The second son.
The lesser one.
The one never encouraged to fight, never encouraged to do a
Published January 25th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Paradise Fought, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Paradise Fought

Jelena Bosh
Jan 25, 2016 Jelena Bosh rated it really liked it
4.5

Who knew I'd fall in love with an MMA fighter who isn't the typical alpha. No, this one is almost the opposite. Sweet, shy, lack of confidence.. But what makes Abel's character anything but a follower? He doesn't want to be his brothers shadow anymore. He went through so much growing up, especially verbal abuse that played one of the biggest roles in his current mindset..

That background to Abel's life is a strong factor that influences the way he grows throughout the story..

He has such heartf
Amy
Jan 04, 2016 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: review-books, 2016
5 fighter stars!!

"Your heartbeat matches mine."

"This will be the greatest fight ever fought." "Brother against brother." "A fight to the death." " All for love."

What a brilliant, brilliant read!! One of the first things that caught my attention regarding this book was the cover. And if you know me, you know just how much I love a book cover. And this one, just intrigued me. It made me want to read the synopsis and find out more. And once I read that synopsis, I knew I had to read this book.

Now,
Rebecca
Jan 04, 2016 Rebecca rated it it was amazing
I always know when I start a L.B. Dunbar text that I'm going to get a well written story that has dynamic and complex characters who are constantly changing and growing as their story line progresses, and that's exactly what Dunbar delivers in her newest book, Abel.

Abel and Elma have always felt second best, standing in the shadows of their older brothers, but now they both need to stand on their own and make their own way, but they’re not quite clear on how to achieve that when it seems like th
Danielle
Jan 05, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mma-hotties
This is so, SO much more than an MMA Fighter book. LB Dunbar has proven her "chops" over and over again, and Paradise Fought is proof that this woman can write anything.

Reading this book was a thrilling event. An event people! It was so easy to relate to Abel; unnoticed, under-appreciated, and unloved man that just wants to find his place. Don't you ever feel that way? I sure as heck have.

Abel is a beautiful combination of gentleness and ferocity that made my heart ache and my toes curl. He la
Talkbooks
Jan 22, 2016 Talkbooks rated it really liked it
~~*:Reviewed by Angela:*~~

Abel, is the Beta, the warrior. This book is his story, his battle.

Abel is the second son. The lesser son. The son who's been over looked and discarded his whole life by an abusive father who could never see him past his holder brother.
Cain vs. Abel, since the day he was born. Abel has been invisible to more then just his father. The girl that always had a way of holding his attention didn't seem to know he existed. When the day comes that he's able to be Elma's white k
Karen Hrdlicka
Dec 31, 2015 Karen Hrdlicka rated it it was amazing
Storytelling is an art, and LB Dunbar is a master storyteller. I have read everything Ms. Dunbar has written and I am always wanting to read more. I have never read a book set in the fight world but after reading Paradise Fought: Abel that may change. Elma and Abel's story is beautifully told and grabs the reader's heartstrings and refuses to let go. Ms. Dunbar creates well developed characters that act and react well with each other, and the story flows well.
As readers, we often seek out boo
Fiction  Conviction Book Blog
Jan 07, 2016 Fiction Conviction Book Blog rated it really liked it
Abel – wow! It is so refreshing to read about a strong, tough fighter who is a beautiful person inside and out, and not an overbearing alpha. And this is why Abel was so easy to love! I fell in love with Abel: all his insecurities, loyalty and fiercely protective nature.

This was a wonderful story of two people who had suffered, and in so many ways managed to save each other. There were a lot of emotions in this story, and Abel’s point of view in particular could suck me in completely every time.
Philomena Callan Cheekypee
Jan 24, 2016 Philomena Callan Cheekypee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-it
It's been a while since I read an MMA story so this was a lovely refreshing read for me.

Abel and Elma- I totally loved these two characters. Abel came across as strong yet caring. Like many siblings Abel wants to be known as himself and not as a younger brother. He's also fed up of being ignored. Elma has her own problems to deal with. Love the chemistry between these two.

This is a really beautiful and well written story. The storyline is relatable and the characters are portrayed as real. I l
Just Let Me Read- Sammy
Jan 20, 2016 Just Let Me Read- Sammy rated it it was amazing
Paradise Fought: Abel was an angsty, emotional, unique tale about unlikely love and overcoming seemingly impossible obstacles. I absolutely loved that this wasn't a typical MMA/college novel with predictable characters and an even more predictable storyline. Rather than showcase an alpha male who was an over-confident womanizer, LB Dunbar wrote about a beta who yearned to rise above what was expected of him and shatter his image. The author threw some great twists into the story, and I loved tha ...more
Becca
Dec 10, 2015 Becca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars - L.B. Dunbar dives into a new series with Paradise Fought: Abel, a New Adult/MMA Romance. Abel is tired of living in his older brother’s shadow, determined to make a name for himself, when Elma crosses his path. Both of them carry secrets with the power to destroy the other, but their unlikely connection is hard to ignore when life seems to keep throwing them together. L.B. Dunbar has cultivated a truly unique chemistry with this couple. Although their situations are markedly differen ...more
Nadia Debowska-Stephens (Obsessed by Books)
"I'd been fighting the wrong fight. Without realising it, the thing I needed to fight for wasn't in the ring. It was in my heart."

Choosing his underground name as he feels a connection to the solitary Siamese fighting fish Betta is the new and talented fighter, the one to watch. Hiding in plain sight, Abel is the unseen brother, using his ambiguity to his favour he has started to put the wheels in motion to move lit from underneath his brother's shadow. Damaged by a childhood devoid of love in a
Nerdy Dirty & Flirty
Jan 24, 2016 Nerdy Dirty & Flirty rated it really liked it
description

"Brother against brother...
A fight to the death...
All for love"

Abel is the second son, the unimportant son, the weak son, never receiving anyone's affections. He lived in his brother's shadow and with his father's iron fists. Until he is out to prove he can be something too, he can be a fighter and make people notice that he exists. He just needs a little help and when opportunity arises, Elma is going to be the one to help him get noticed.

"a ray of sunshine beneath the dark waters."

Elma is
Twinsie Talk Angie J
Jan 18, 2016 Twinsie Talk Angie J rated it really liked it
Check out this review and others at
www.Twinsietalk.com
www.Facebook.com/Twinsietalk
www.Twitter.com/Twinsietalk
www.Tsu.co/Twinsietalk
Newsletter : http://eepurl.com/brwkPv
Paradise Fought by LB Dunbar
I received a copy from the author for an honest review.
One of my favorite things about this author is her writing style. She has the ability to write about any topic and pull you in. I was a huge fan of her fan-fiction about King Arthur and the Round Table. Now with this book, I love how she turns a mo
Amanda at WickedGoodReads
I finished this book yesterday.....and had to have some time to really process or digest what I had just read.

Like the Synopsis reads:
I'm not a fighter.
I’m not as big as Cobra. I’m not as strong as Cobra. He's the alpha.
I'm a beta.
The second son.
The lesser one.
The one never encouraged to fight, never encourag
Alicia at Mean Girls Luv Books
Paradise Fought: Abel by L.B. Dunbar is a great read. It gave a new twist to both MMA stories and New Adult. Honestly, it was refreshing.

Abel is an up and coming MMA fighter. He is used to being put down and overlooked by this abusive father. Unfortunately (or fortunately for him), his older brother, Cain, took the brunt of the abuse, but also the praise, attention, and training to become a successful MMA fighter. Abel is training in secret, to prove, not just to his father, but to himself that
EscapeNBooks
Jan 24, 2016 EscapeNBooks rated it it was amazing
Guest Review by Tammy Cole

I was so excited to read this book as I love MMA books and I really enjoy LB Dunbar's writing! Well she didn't disappoint with this book. I loved this story that had a modern twist on the whole Cain/Abel story.

"Medusa had just poisoned me with her glare, only this was a beautiful woman with a sassy mouth and tempting words."

Abel is the son that his father shuns and Cain has always protected Abel growing up. Abel is tired of living in the shadows and is determined to ma
Jacqui Norris
Jan 21, 2016 Jacqui Norris rated it it was amazing
Arc received from author for honest review

L.B. Dunbar has wowed our senses and then rocked us and now she is bringing us her newest series with some hot fighters. Abel is the first in her Paradise series and what a way to introduce us to it! Wow! It was hard not to fall in love with this book and the characters of Abel and Elma.

Both Abel and Elma have lived in the shadows of their brothers who are fighters and took care of them. When tragedy hits Elma and her family, it is up to her to be the r
Donna Porter
Jan 11, 2016 Donna Porter rated it really liked it
Abel was the weaker of the two brothers. His brother, Cain was a fighter and praised all the time by their father. Their father was a fighter in his younger days but not as famous as Cain, Cobra. Abel was the smart one of the family but he was secretly training to fight in the ring. Despite his smaller stature he was very fast on his feet. Elma Montgomery was also a student at the same school as Abel. She was in the popular group. Abel adored her from afar. Her brother Montana was killed in a fi ...more
Melony Hobgood
Jan 19, 2016 Melony Hobgood rated it it was amazing
This was my first L.B Durham book and I must say I'm a big fan and will be reading more if they are anything like this one. The explosion that happens in this book is fantastic. I love the Cain and Abel brother against brother aspect of this book but there was so much more there. It's a great love story and L.B Durham takes the time to develop that love not rush into it. It also gives us a look into Cain and his story with out giving to much of it away.

Elma lost her brother in a fight now she w
Shameca Smith
Jan 12, 2016 Shameca Smith rated it it was amazing
5 STAR READ!!!

I don't like to choose favorites, but I have to with LB's books. Abel is my absolute favorite of all of her books! I could not put this book down and I found myself hiding in the bathroom at work to read this story. I haven't read too many fighter books because I have a favorite fighter and I didn't think anyone could compete with him, but Abel is right in that top spot with him. The way that LB wrote Abel's character drew me into the book even more. He was sweet, determined, and h
Natasha
Jan 25, 2016 Natasha rated it it was amazing
REVIEW
I received a ARC in exchange for a honest review.
5* read.
I love this author and this was actually my favourite book yet even though it's completely different to her other books. Straight away the front cover grabbed my attention and made me want to read this book, and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. It had everything I love in a book and I immediately felt a connection to the characters and invested in their journey.
Abel and Elma had this unique chemistry and connection whil
Annie
Jan 08, 2016 Annie rated it really liked it
If I had to define this book in a sentence, it would be: "Things are never what they appear to be."
It is hard to give a review without giving up the story and I don't want to do that, so I will keep this short.

Abel is a very complex character with layers and more layers that are explained as the story goes. Not all of those layers are resolved or explained yet.

Elma has reasons behind the reasons on top of more reasons for all that she does. She is a peculiar mix of naive and jaded. And both side
Jeanette Book-Reviews
Jan 18, 2016 Jeanette Book-Reviews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, 4-5-star
****4.5 Stars****

*ARC kindly provided by the Author for an honest review*

Wow.. I'm kinda blow away as this is the first book I've read written by this Author, certainly wont be my last!

This story really gripped me from the start, We meet Abel & Elma who by the way I absolutely adored!

A credit to this Author for tugging my heartstrings!! Wow that's what I love about this story that makes me feel all kind of emotions.

I'm not for one posting spoilers but I can honestly say if you want an amazin
She Hearts Books
Jan 04, 2016 She Hearts Books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elma so tugged at my heart. She lost her brother who fought in the ring. She lost her mother who couldn't get things together to support her. That means she struggles to have the money for school. When she is faced with not being able to sign up for classes, Abel comes in to save the day and wants her help. Abel is such a lonely soul. His father is a monster. My heart broke for all that he suffered. Then came Elma.

There are twists and turns creating such a rollercoaster ride of emotions in thei
Ashley Martinez
Jan 07, 2016 Ashley Martinez rated it really liked it
An absolute knock-out! From the well developed and relatable characters to the twist and turns of the plot there was never a dull moment.
Abel was a sexy non-typical bad boy that any girl would fall for. Protective yet possessive and all sorts of yummy!
Elma was an independent hard working woman who has a sassy go-getting side.
Both characters worked well together and I loved their chemistry.
The story left me begging for me and I can't wait to read the next book about Abel's brother.
Heather
Jan 13, 2016 Heather rated it it was amazing
As my first fighter/MMA book Paradise Fought went above and beyond my expectations.

I dare you not to fall in love with Abel! He is so sweet and such a refreshing change from what I normally read.

I love how LB Dunbar takes historic stories and puts a modern spin on them. I would recommend this book to anyone who loves a great love story.
Patti Correa
Dec 06, 2015 Patti Correa rated it it was amazing
REVIEW TO COME... BUT OMG IT WAS AMAZING!!!!
Jos
Jan 21, 2016 Jos rated it really liked it
4 Solid Stars

Great start to her new series! I loved Abel and Elma and I CANNOT wait for Cain's story:)
LA Spiez
Jan 05, 2016 LA Spiez rated it really liked it
So first of all, let me share I am ridiculously in love with Abel Callahan. How could I not be? He's incredibly gorgeous. Dark hair that falls into his deep blue eyes, tall, muscular and those tatts he tries to keep hidden. Then seeing them peeking out of fitted t-shirts sleeves......just damn.

I've also come to realize something about author L.B. Dunbar. She likes to take historical stories and turn theme into her own. She did it with King Arthur, turning him into Arturo King and now with the bi
David Maher
Jan 29, 2016 David Maher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
In a move reminiscent of several 80's teenage romcoms, Abel, upon finding Elma in serious financial straits, offers to pay her tuition for her, and in return, asks for ... coaching. Not in what to do with a girl once he's got one, but rather in how to attract their attention in the first place.

As the younger son, Abel's always been the one being ignored. As the small child, the one overlooked, and he's more than ready for all of that to change.

But that's about where the resemblance between this
  • Below the Belt (First to Fight, #1)
  • Let Me (O'Brien Family, #2)
  • Playing by Her Rules (Sydney Smoke Rugby, #1)
  • Smash
  • The Sound of Serendipity
  • Uncaged
  • Brave (Oni Fighters, #1)
  • Miles from Kara (Charleston Haven, #2)
  • Turning Home (A Small Town #1)
  • Anything but Minor (Balls in Play, #1)
  • Pulled Under (Kill Devil Hills, #3)
  • Love Rekindled (Love Surfaced, #2)
  • Rush (White Lace, #1)
  • Ground & Pound
  • Come (The Fight Club #1)
  • Blindsided: Seattle Steelheads Football (Game On in Seattle, #4)
  • Love Collides (Fate's Love, #3)
  • Enlightened (Love and Light, #1)
8195738
Avid drinker of Coca-Cola, L.B. Dunbar loves the sweet things in life. Her affair with all things romantic began with her first book at the tender age of six: Goldilocks and the Three Bears. One can never forget her first! From there, the reading journey includes a deep love of fairy tales, medieval knights, regency debauchery, and alpha males. She loves a deep belly laugh and a strong hug. Occasi ...more
More about L.B. Dunbar...

Paradise (3 books)
  • Paradise Tempted: The Beginning
  • Paradise Found: Cain (Paradise #2)