The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine, #3)

The Devil's Right Hand (Dante Valentine #3)

3.8 of 5 stars 3.80  ·  rating details  ·  3,825 ratings  ·  189 reviews
Dante Valentine, Necromancer and bounty hunter, just wants to be left alone. But the Devil has other ideas.

The Prince wants Dante. And he wants her now. And Dante and her lover, Japhrimel, have no choice but to answer the Prince's summons. And to fulfill a seemingly simple task: become the Devil's Right Hand, hunt down four demons that have escaped from Hell, and earn His...more
Published September 1st 2007 by Orbit (first published January 1st 2007)

Anzu The Great Destroyer
Ok, so apparently Dante has to grieve over someone in each book else Saintcrow won’t be happy. Book two over Japh, and now over Jace. Yay Dante.

I don’t know what’s wrong with me. I touch The Devil’s Right Hand, and I feel like yawning. I touch it again, just to make sure, and I yawn again. I open the book. Chapter 1.
It’s for you,” Japhrimel said diffidently, his eyes flaring with green fire in angular runic patterns for just a moment before returning to almost-human darkness. […]

My vision ge...more
Erin (Paperback Stash)
The beginning of this story takes place awhile in the future – apparently Dante has quietly snapped from her last ordeal. The ordeal was focused on in the first book and brought to glaring light in the second, it would have broken almost anybody. She is back with Japh and he has slowly been healing her, but also sheltering and protecting her without her knowledge.

Now they have no choice but to get back into the meat of things as Lucifer tries to be creative in tricking and destroying them both....more
Schnaucl
Lauren
I thought my love for ass-kicking femme fatales would be enough for this book to mildly entertain me, but alas, no. The writing is awful and the main character is more of a whiny girl than a female James Bond which is what the cover and synopsis both suggest. Rarely do I stop reading a book halfway through but the only things that kept me going were the fight scenes and those were too few and far between to keep me interested. Overall it was pretty disappointing.
Krystal
I guess this book in the series was okay....I'm a little put off by the writing now, the constant repeating of thought and dialogue is annoying. The stories are just "eh" for me right now, but I'll finish them out.
Anita
Jan 03, 2009 Anita rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anita Blake fans who love action/adventure
Book 3 of the Dante Valentine series.

I really enjoy this series. I love the first-person perspective that includes hearing Dante's thoughts as well as dialog and what she's experiencing. The internal monologue adds a lot to the depth of the character for me. The romance is a minor part of the story line - very few sex scenes - really just the emotional stuff, but so well written that you understand her confusion and motivations fully. You can't start this series in the middle - it uses a bit of...more
Ladiibbug
#3 Dante Valentine

I loved the world Saintcrow built in books 1 & 2 in this series -- and I *adored* Japh, the hero.

I bought book 3 but Dante was so negative, so unlikeable that I couldn't even finish the book :-(
Jamie
********Please Be AWARE, this may contain SPOILERS***************

I have never read a book that disappointed in quite the same way as this one. First, I was already familiar with the fact that Lilith Saintcrow can't seem to make it through a paragraph with out having her main character repeat themselves at least three times, either with in their thoughts or by spoken word. However, if that were the only problem with this book, then I could happily go on ignoring it as a writer's quirk until the e...more
Tara
Hmm.. I really want to like these books. And I do in a strange way. This book, the 3rd in the Dante Valentine series was a set up for the final books I believe.

We begin sometime after the last book. I think at least 2 years, but I can't really be sure. I guess time is all relative. She's has settled into her life away from almost all the long term characters we had previously met, except for one. The poor guy. Dante once again amazes me with how paranoid and hypocritical a person can be.

This gu...more
Chibineko
While I loved the first two books in the series, I have to admit I was a little disappointed by this entry. Saintcrow has a lovely feel of futuristic UF in her books & it reminds me of some of the old pulp books I'd find at thrift stores as a kid. This book just doesn't entirely capture the feel of the first two. I'll give a warning- there may be some spoilerish stuff in this review.

The third book finds Danny recovering from not only the psychic trauma from the previous case, but also doing...more
Kathy Davie
Third in the Dante Valentine fantasy series. Yup, Lucifer has forced Danny back into his employ. Well, Lucifer and Japhrimel. Japh did an end-run on Dante and she now has to serve the Devil for the next 7 years as his Right Hand, read “assassin”. But Lucifer also has to protect Danny throughout eternity and Japh gets his full Demon power back even though he’s Fallen. All that they have to do is find four of the Greater Flight demons who have escaped Hell. Oh, well, if that’s all…

Almost as soon a...more
Mistress of the Dark Path
In the beginning of "The Devil's Right Hand Man" Dante Valentine is still recovering from the previous trauma of the last book. She had watched her former boyfriend get killed and couldn't do anything to save him. This has caused a lot of guilt that she doesn't know how to get past. Also, she has apparently been back with Japh for some time since the last novel. Though they seem to have been getting along well, their relationship is nowhere near perfect. He is hiding a lot from her and she is wo...more
Katie
Dante is back in 'The Devil’s Right Hand', the third book in the Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. After everything Dante has faced, the horrors of Rigger Hall, the death and rebirth of Japhrimel, and the very final passing of Jace Monroe, you would think that things couldn’t get any worse. But you would be wrong.

The Devil isn’t done with Dante. He’s been calling her for a long time and he’s tired of waiting for her answer. Dante has spent time recovering from her final battle in Rigg...more
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Inara
In this third book Dante and Japhrimel are living together in a villa in the Toscano countryside where Japh spoils Dante with gifts and helps her through her nightmarish experiences at Rigger Hall. One day the Prince of Hell is summoning Dante again and offers her to her big surprise a job as his Right Hand. She´d have to hunt down four demons who left hell and Lucifer can´t let them get away with it because if he did his role as Prince of Hell could be challenged and chaos would reign in Hell....more
Christine
3.5 stars. It would have been higher, but I was so annoyed with the characters. Firstly, Dante, we get it. You're not human anymore. We don't need to be reminded every five minutes. And Japh, sweetie, stop being such a jerk. Give a little. You want to be with Dante, and that means you have to make some effort to, you know, tell her things. And not push her around or manipulate her or force her to do what you want (even if it's for her own safety).

I like Dante, I really do, but she was so whiny...more
Amara
Not at all sure how to rate this one either. It was better than the last one, but still with the repetition that drives me bonkers. I was tempted to give up again about 1/2 way, but kept reading for Japh. Was good after the 1/2 way mark, as was the last one. Seems to be a pattern.

I may have turned on Danny now. She was rather irritating in this one. Although I can't pinpoint if it's the character, or just the horrible repetition. I could have taken her doubts, her whining, and all that... once....more
Jenn Carges
I think the only reason I'm still reading this series is because I haven't found something else to read yet. It's a good idea for a story in this genre, but I can't stand the main characters. The lead female is way too needy and whiny. It's also really annoying that the author has her think something and then say it out loud immediately afterward, word for word so we are reading it twice. The lead male has absolutely no personality until this book and now the little bit he has, he acts like an a...more
Kathy
It's been a little while since I read the second book in this series but it took only a few chapters for me to realize why I don't love it. The main character, Dante Valentine, is annoyingly whiny, insecure and immediately jumps to the worst possible conclusion when contemplating others' motives.

Fortunately, while she still had those traits in this book, they were toned down. A bit. I liked the story, though. Dante and her demon boyfriend make a contract with Lucifer to hunt down four demons who...more
1.5* I don't get it. I simply don't understand how an author can write the same thing over and over 100 times and expect to a fill the 3rd book and still have readers liking it. Every other page was a painful flashback of the SAME THING or her internal struggle with Japh or how much she hates the devil. over and over. I gave up. I can't get into this author's writing style. This series is no quick and easy read. I can understand the appeal for a small select audience who enjoy the chronic and co...more
Angelina
I'm so conflicted about this series. I loved Book 1. Book 2 was rough, but I was right there with Dante, sympathizing with her grief and inner torment. But Book 3...this has me anxious and uncertain. I was intrigued when Saintcrow showed us the reality behind the Happy Ever After of Book 2 and gave us real conflict as well as real love between Dante and Japh. But over the course of this book, I watched with horror as Japh went from hero to monster. Like, I get it, he's a demon and has a differen...more
C.M.
Fantastic. Hands down one of the best sci-fi series I've read. Lots of new and interesting future based things. This in the series I wish there was just a little more into her and Jaf's relationship. It was good because they're not both lovey-dovey share-my-feelings kinda characters but the romantic in me wanted just a bigger look than the peek into that part of them that I got.
Vivisection
I really wanted to keep liking this series. I was heartbroken when I thought Japhrimel was dead. I was rooting for Jace & Dante's friendship in book 2. But this one? Buy me a vowel because OMG, the incessant whining nearly drove me batty. And Japh? Broody, taciturn, and annoying. Am taking a break from these books for a while.
♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme
I really am falling for Japhrimel. The conflict is getting worse in this book. I don't know what is going to happen and now I'm thinking Dante is going to lose her soul. Working with the Devil just leaves a taint which can't be removed. The story is getting weird. Off to read the next one.
krin
I enjoyed this urban fantasy featuring necromancer/bounty hunter Dante Valentine. I especially liked the way she worked with Japhrimel and others to find the renegade demons in time. I look forward to reading the next book in the series, Saint City Sinners.
Kathrine Nielsen
This one didn't catch me just as much as the other two books did. I had a hard time to enjoying this book except for the last 50 pages where action finally happend. I liked Dante in the two first books but in this one she simply started to anoy me. She was so lovestroken and so naiv it was nervewrecking.
I've loved Japh in the other books but in this one he was so repulsing that I didn't understand why Dante put up with it.
However towards the ending I really started to love the characters and th...more
Danielle G
ok, I really enjoyed the first two books in this series. I loved Dante and her character was well written and so was japh's. unfortunately this book for me was a major backslide. The plot had potential but never actually went anywhere nor did it conclude at the end of the book. It almost read like a prequel novella that was stretched into a full length novel. I really didn't like that. Furthermore, Dante was seriously annoying in this book. She went from kick a## to a serious cry baby in about s...more
Crystin
This was an intensely frustrating book.
Susan
The Devil's Right Hand is another exciting page turner in the Dante Valentine series. The book starts with Dante still recovering from the aftermath of the battle with her past from Dead Man Rising. Japhrimel has been trying his best to keep the Devil away from Dante so that she can rest, but soon they need to face the Devil's next task. Dante's next task once again puts her life in danger as she finds herself questioning who she can trust and who she can't. It also tests her relationship with J...more
Mei-Lu
This is the third book in the goth urban paranormal Dante Valentine series by Lilith Saintcrow. It’s going to be very difficult for me to review this book because saying anything about the plot will give away spoilers for the first two books and I don’t want to do that.

So instead let me just say that this was the book that broke me. Despite the fact that I bought all five Dante Valentine books in a bundle so I paid for books four and five, I have no intention of reading them. The premise of the...more
  • The Devil You Know (Morgan Kingsley, #2)
  • The Taste of Night (Signs of the Zodiac #2)
  • The Devil Is a Gentleman (Niki Slobodian, #2)
  • Blood Drive (Anna Strong Chronicles, #2)
  • Daemon's Mark (Nocturne City, #5)
  • Bitten to Death (Jaz Parks, #4)
  • Blood of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #2)
  • Imp Forsaken (Imp, #5)
  • A Sliver of Shadow (Abby Sinclair, #2)
  • House of Cards (Negotiator Trilogy/Old Races Universe, #2)
  • Spectre (Zoe Martinique #2)
  • Magic in the Shadows (Allie Beckstrom, #3)
Lilith Saintcrow was born in New Mexico, bounced around the world as an Air Force brat, and fell in love with writing when she was ten years old. She lives in Vancouver, Washington, in a house full of stray cats and children.
More about Lilith Saintcrow...
Working for the Devil (Dante Valentine, #1) Dead Man Rising (Dante Valentine, #2) Night Shift (Jill Kismet, #1) Saint City Sinners (Dante Valentine, #4) To Hell and Back (Dante Valentine, #5)

“What you cannot escape, you must fight; what you cannot fight, you must endure.” 119 likes
“What you can't run away from, you have to face” 36 likes