Start by marking “A Primer of Freudian Psychology” as Want to Read:
A Primer of Freudian Psychology

A Primer of Freudian Psychology

3.71 of 5 stars 3.71  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Culled from forty years of writing by the founder of psychoanalysis, A Primer Of Freudian Psychology introduces Freud's theories on the dynamics and development of the human mind. Hall also provides a brief biography of Sigmund Freud and examines how he arrived at his groundbreaking conclusions. In discussing the elements that form personality, the author explains the pion ...more
Published January 1st 1999 by Plume (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about A Primer of Freudian Psychology, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Primer of Freudian Psychology

When I was sixteen, I lucked into a course called Psychology, Myth, and Literature for which this particular primer was required reading. We read it, I believe, in conjunction with Shaffer's Equus, and I promise that whatever effect you're picturing that combination having on a group of teenagers, it is not nearly as colorful as the reality. Feel free to experiment on your own kids for fun.

Upon re-reading, I find my reactions to this not much different from when I first used it as excellent joke
David
Oh Sigmund Fraud – sorry Freudian slip. Okay, enough of the crappy jokes.

First off, in my opinion Freud receives a lot of unfair criticism in general. Many people don’t understand/ properly take into account the historical context in which his theories were formed, mainly a repressive Victorian society. At the time, he found an acceptable way to facilitate appropriate – if inaccurate – discussion about taboo subjects, namely sex. Furthermore, many people today take for granted the vast amount of
Nicole
I think that I understand Id, Ego, and Superego enough to tell high school students the basics and apply it in a critical analysis of Batman. Sweet.
John
haven't seen too many primers that suck.
Andrew Ward
Freud's a genius but difficult to wrap your head around without some background. This book can be read in 3-4 hours and is literally one of the most interesting things i've ever read.
Jillian
A concise and reasonably clear introduction to Freud's theories with helpful (and sometimes unintentionally amusing) examples.
Kurt Zisa
Another great little primer for the study of the basic concepts of Freudian Psychology.
Ivy Catherine
comprehensive overview of selected Freud's studies. :)
Agostinho Paulo
Best introduction of Freud's work.
Jia
buku punya mamah, baca pertama kali waktu sma dan terkaget-kaget dengan id, ego, superego. juga sama fase-fase seksual dan penis envy pada anak cewek(whatta? ga ngerasa ngalamin soalnya hahaha).

sejak sma banyak baca buku psikologi dan macam-macam gangguan jiwa karena persiapan pengin jadi penulis, buat mendalami karakter. ga ngaruh sih... sampai sekarang tulisanku paling lemah di karakter :|

kalau yang gangguan jiwa, emang sejak sma ngerasa punya gangguan jiwa. sekarang sih agak normal, karena ag
Doug Diegert
This book is short and relatively easy to read. I don't feel that I understand Freud's theories very well yet. There may be better introductions to Freud out there.
John Wilson
Succinct and comprehensive. The best intro I know. Read the section on defence mechanisms and compare them with yourself and people you know (ho ho).
J. Ewbank
Even easier to read than Freud's work is this work by Hall in explaining Freud. For those who are unfamiliar with the writings of Freud or of pscyhology in general, this could be an interesting introduction to Freud.

It is a good read and well designed.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'M
Tracey Rose
I read this book for a thesis I had to write, and It was an excellent companion book. It explains Freud's theories in a very clear and concise manner. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who has to write about Freud, or someone who simply wants to understand how a person's personality is formed.
Chris Schaeffer
I don't know why I have this, why I chose to read it, etc. It's interesting as a peculiar snapshot of the state of psychoanalytic pedagogy at a very specific point in history, though, and I suppose not the worst way to refresh your basics of Freud.
Trevor
Clear and accessible.
Hannah Medley
Just started, but so far very interesting. Concise and clear, not excessively dry. Good for research for lazy people like me who don't want to actually read Freud.
Shane Avery
An awfully written, and terribly organized, exposition of Freud's thought. Would that I had never purchased it...
Amin
برای شروع روانشناسی فروید، کتابی است فوق العاده. درک تعبیر خواب فروید بدون خواندن این کتاب بسیار سخت خواهد بود
Andrei
Clear and concise. Delivered what it promised, nothing more, nothing less.
James
I need to read Freud now.
Amanda C
A great little read
Austin Stearns
Austin Stearns marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2015
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • Edgar Cayce's Story of Jesus
  • Case Studies in Abnormal Psychology
  • Toward a New Psychology of Women
  • The Moral Judgement of the Child
A Primer of Jungian Psychology Theories of Personality Psikologi Kepribadian 1: Teori-Teori Psikodinamik (Klinis) Psikologi Kepribadian 3: Teori-Teori Sifat dan Behavioristik Introduction to Theories of Personality

“A mother who is afraid to admit that she resents her children may interfere so much in their lives, under the pretect of being concerned about their welfare and safety, that her over-protection is really a form of punishment.” 1 likes
“Scientific conformity means intellectual stuntification.” 0 likes