Start by marking “Magic Thinks Big” as Want to Read:
Magic Thinks Big

Magic Thinks Big

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  72 ratings  ·  25 reviews
A cat sits in the doorway and tries to decide whether to go inside where he might get fed again, go outside where he might have an adventure, or stay where he is.
Published March 30th 2004 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about Magic Thinks Big, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Magic Thinks Big

Lisa Vegan
Mar 24, 2013 Lisa Vegan rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Lisa by: Abigail A.
If Magic wasn’t a real cat I’d probably have given this book one less star, but the photo of Magic on the back cover, and the very short description about him, had me fully engaged in the story before I started it. I always want to get inside the heads of dogs and cats. Those I know I do often feel as though I know exactly what they’re thinking and feel we can almost fully communicate. This imagining of Magic’s imaginings doesn’t strike me as that plausible, but I don’t know the real Magic, and ...more
Dolly
Apr 03, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a silly, but entertaining book about a fat cat who enjoys imagining himself on an adventure more than he likes to actually go on one. The book never mentions the location, but it just screams Maine to me (maybe Canada...)

The cat is large, but adorable, and the illustrations are quite humorous. The narrative is short enough to keep the attention of a younger child, but is probably best for elementary school-age children (perhaps K-2). We enjoyed reading this book together.
Brigida
This book gets inside the mentality of a cat named "Magic." Magic is lazy. He is unable to make up his mind in what to eat and how to go about such. Mentally, he devises situations and different types of food he could eat. However, he is quite undecisive with what scheme to follow and what food to pursue. Does he ever make up his mind? Read to find out.

Intended Grade Level: Kindergarten-2nd
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
Well if this doesn't describe every cat I've ever known! I'm surprised this owner let this cat sit in the doorway making up his mind that long. My mother always liked to give them an "ass-ist" when they stood in the doorway like that.
Angelica
Ro Givens
A children's book that perfectly catches the essence of a (fat) cat. Will he go in or will be go out? Love it.
Kathleen Behrendt
This simple picture book shows humans just how a cat thinks - and how lazy they really are. Magic weighs the pros and cons of going in or out of the house (actually, moving at all!). He has a vivid imagination - he imagines eating dinner with bears (Salmon and blueberry pie) and using a moose as a water taxi. In the end, he acts as a true cat - he stays right where he is - dozing in the sun. On the back of the book, we are told that Magic is a real cat.

I would recommend this book to preschoolers
Mckinley
Inner thoughts of a cat contemplating what to do.
Ruhama
Magic is a fat cat who can’t seem to decide what to do today. He sits in the doorway, thinking of all the different things he could do, if he got enough gumption. The main thing he thinks about though? Different ways to get fed. This is a short, but extremely cute book. Magic is truly a fat cat, and Cooper gives us a few different views—the best is the top view, looking down on the cat. The illustrations are in soft watercolors, making everything dreamy. A picture of the inspirational cat is on ...more
Marissa Garcia
Magic, a pleasantly plump cat, looks outside and contemplates the adventures he could go on, if he wanted to. But he lazily decides in the end:

"Maybe not, Maybe, if he stays right where he is, Magic's next move will come to him."

Subtley hilarious, dreamy, and sophisticated, this picture book is special. The short length suits storytime well, and the watercolor illustrations lend themeselves to the dreamily air.

Suggest for: patrons doing storytimes or units on cats, animals, daydreams, imaginatio
Virginia
1. Lake Mooselookmeguntic (or however the hell one spells it) is awesome.
2. This book made me laugh and laugh and laugh...

The author obviously knows from cats.

My kiddo enjoys the hell out of it, too. Although I think she's a little confused by the cat going into the water bit. Apparently it's much more believable to her for cats to ride on the backs of moose, or to hang out picking blueberries with bears.

Shelli
My daughter and I really enjoyed this small but lovable picture book about Magic the cat; she reminded us so much of our own rotund feline family member. Magic cannot decide what to do with the day as she sits in the doorway contemplating her options. Go inside and search the fridge? Chase the ducks outside? Perhaps catch a fat salmon and share it with a bear? So many choices! What, if anything, will Magic do??
Janet
AS a cat owner I was drawn to this story and don't all of this make up scenarios about what our cat is thinking. Well that is the theme of the story and I didn't find it to enchaning, a bit disjointed for me. The positivies, the cat is drawn large which many of them are; the blues, greens, and whites in the illustratios are lovely.
Lindsey
A cute story with repetitive text exploring the dreams of a lazy, fat cat. The cat that lies around all day basking in the sun is really dreaming of chasing and eating loons. Or Maybe he really wants to ride on the back of a moose. Or maybe not. A great story with sparse text about daydreaming and reality.
Coral
A simple story that my daughter loves to read to us - she's 6 and loves stories that she can read all by herself to us. The watercolors are cute and capture the feeling of the story quite well.
Lesley
I really enjoyed this children's story about a cat and what's going through its head. The things the cat described made me think of Maine. Love the illustrations, too.
jacky
I liked it because it had a big fat cat in it (like our Snickies) and a moose and bears. In general, a cute story about day dreaming.
Sarah Eiseman
This book was a riot! I love fat cats and we're currently on the lookout for fun picture books for our baby that's on the way.
Linda
Cat owners and cat lovers will adore this one. Adorable idea, but I wanted it to go on longer. MORE!
Morgan
I probably won't ever read this in storytime because of the loon eating. But it's a cute book nonetheless.
Bree
Notes:
cat imagines having an adventure but then decides to just nap
cute but forgettable
Erin
Fun and full of imagination. As usual, Cooper's art work is beautiful.
Marcus
I like cute cats because I have one cute cat.
Heidi