Start by marking “Chasing The Perfect: Thoughts On Modernist Design In Our Time” as Want to Read:
Chasing The Perfect: Thoughts On Modernist Design In Our Time

Chasing The Perfect: Thoughts On Modernist Design In Our Time

4.46 of 5 stars 4.46  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  6 reviews
In Chasing the Perfect writer/designer Natalia Ilyin delivers her astute, incisive, and humorous observations on design and the world it has molded. According to Ilyin, "Modern design is based on deeply idealist notions, and its inherent perfectionism has dovetailed beautifully with our commodity-based economy's need to keep people itching so that they will buy things and ...more
Published November 15th 2005 by Metropolis Books

To ask other readers questions about Chasing The Perfect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing The Perfect

A collection of personal essays centered on design, Ilyin voices the doubts some of us have when we see a chair, fork, or table in a catalogue that looks perfectly designed with its clean lines, brushed stainless steel surface, and its hefty price tag. We see these items for their promises of a better life after we slide our plastic cards through the checkout line and bring back the haul into our homes. But these promises can often be nothing more than hollow and imbalanced, despite appearances. ...more
Bro (Dave Kurimsky)
Dec 17, 2007 Bro (Dave Kurimsky) rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Artists/designers/everybody else
Interesting book. Good for designers, artists or anybody who wants a different perspective on our culture. The author challenges lots of ideas that are pervasive in "design culture" and, by extention, American culture, consumer culture and social class. Also, it's real pretty to look at.
Very easy and enjoyable to read as well.
Nov 11, 2007 Barb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people who spend months trying to find just the right toaster
Funny, wise memoir of a classically-trained, RISD designer who wants the freedom to illustrate quaint little bonnet-wearing mice if she damn well feels like it. Eff you Bauhaus. The photographs accompanying the text are perfect. Exciting text to image ratio. Beautiful book.
Some may call this slight, but I feel like it's the most honest assessment of us modernist/perfection-obsessed design-types. Written in a very intimate and accessible storytelling manner, it made me embarrassed to be a designer—and I think that's a good thing.
Sep 10, 2007 Phoebe rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: graphic designers & other artists
Shelves: non-fictiongems
Recommended by David -his graphic design book group read it. A quick, lively, interesting and insightful read.
A light read. Perfect for the subway.
Callie Neylan
Callie Neylan marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2015
Jamshed Makhkamzoda
Jamshed Makhkamzoda marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Dominika Dašková
Dominika Dašková marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2015
Sheila marked it as to-read
Mar 07, 2015
David Whipps
David Whipps marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ye Ruoshi
Ye Ruoshi marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Christine Røde
Christine Røde marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2014
Can added it
Nov 02, 2014
Roman marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Peyton marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Bonnie added it
May 17, 2014
Alicia marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Evgeni Barzashki
Evgeni Barzashki marked it as to-read
May 05, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Blonde Like Me: The Roots of the Blonde Myth in Our Culture Graphic Eye: Photos from Graphic Designers around the Globe