Start by marking “How to Raise Your Self-Esteem: The Proven Action-Oriented Approach to Greater Self-Respect and Self-Confidence” as Want to Read:

Of all the judgments you make in life, none is as  important as the one you make about yourself. The  difference between low self-esteem and high  self-esteem is the difference between passivity and  action, between failure and success. Now, one of  America's foremost psychologists and a pioneer in  self-esteem development offers a step-by-step guide to  strengthening your ...more
Published October 1st 1988 by Bantam (first published 1987)

To ask other readers questions about How to Raise Your Self-Esteem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How to Raise Your Self-Esteem

Leslie D. Soule
Jan 04, 2014 Leslie D. Soule rated it it was amazing
Shelves: self-help
This books reads less like a novel and more like a workbook, which is how a good self-help book ought to be. Branden doesn't let his readers get away with just reading words on a page - he makes them work for their self-esteem.
Sometimes I am my own worst enemy - my harshest critic. Branden asks us to examine our behavior and question whose standards we are judging them by. Branden mentions that the exercises in this book are designed in order to help a person tap into their own subconscious tho
Karen
Jan 04, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: soul
"Of all the judgments you make in life, none is as important as the one you make about yourself. The difference between low self-esteem and high self-esteem is the difference between passivity and action, between failure and success... How to break free of negative self-concepts and self-defeating behaviors... dissolve internal barriers... conquer fear of intimacy... find and keep the courage to love yourself..."
Chele
Jan 04, 2014 Chele rated it it was ok
I really did not care for it. The author did have a lot of things to say which hit home, but the format and the sentence completions... it just did not work well with my style of learning and growing.
José
Sep 27, 2016 José rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing!!!!

The subjects covered here are straightforward, easy to understand... And the sentence completion exercises are an excellent starting point in the journey of self acceptance and self-esteem.
Tony Jr.
Mar 12, 2015 Tony Jr. rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
This book was hit-or-miss for me. At times it was great, but mostly boring and hard to get through. I found it to be a rehash of the same tips from the authors previous books (accept responsibility for your life, practice integrity or be true to yourself in every situation, forgive yourself and get over guilt, and live consciously). Chapter 1-The importance of Self-esteem, Chapter 8-Living Authentically and Chapter 9 - Nurturing the Self-esteem of others had many really good points and made ...more
BegumIrdawati
Mar 26, 2013 BegumIrdawati rated it liked it
A good read on how psychological damage occurring from childhood through adulthood can transform you into a self-hating person just because you don't subscribe to the same norm of the people around you. This book helps you to identify the issue and raise above it. It will help if you do the exercises *ahaks!*

p/s: And then I googled Nathaniel Branden only to read about his own psychological battle (and babble hahaha) and his 'association' with Ayn Rand whose quote I love so much (apparently anoth
Gerry
Jan 04, 2014 Gerry rated it liked it
It offered some insight into raising your self-esteem but it is a work book and you will need to do quite a lot of reflection to get the most out of the book by sentence completion exercises .

I do think it did not work very well with my learning style because I did not feel like doing some of the sentence completion exercises simply because, with all of the internal reflection I was doing I could not recall some of my very early years and felt I was just making stuff up.

Very good book overall t
Rafael George
Feb 13, 2013 Rafael George rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychology
This is not a mere introduction and the author explains it in the summary of the book. It's focus on people that already know the importance of self-esteem with practical ex. to raise your own self-esteem. Also this is not the typical self-help book this is something more which address problems that most people have and how to solve them. A most read.
Briana
Jan 12, 2013 Briana rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
A LOT of sentence completion exercises, this is a no-nonsense direct guide to raising your self esteem. Unless you are very driven some other of Branden's works like "Honoring the Self" might be a good first read if you're new to the subject.
Heather
Aug 10, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If everyone applied the info in this book, it would add stability to their lives and we'd see a different society. Helps you to identify hurtful, repetitive mistakes and correct them in a positive way...without guilt.
Bev Dowdell
Oct 19, 2014 Bev Dowdell rated it it was amazing
A life changing book .. While it takes effort to finish the sentences in his book they reveal so much about internal self talk to identify and clear out the negative and renew focus on a positive future.
Anuj Taneja
Feb 28, 2016 Anuj Taneja rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice read

The book suggests practical ways to increase our self esteem.....it tells us to honor ourselves and have self acceptance....increased self esteem will ultimately lead to a better quality of life
Jose Amezcua
Mar 28, 2015 Jose Amezcua rated it really liked it
A good little book to uograde your life to the next level. Nathaniel wrote it as a guide. Little histories with his clasics excercise to complete sentences. It's good. It's not 5 stars to be short.
Shayna
Apr 08, 2008 Shayna rated it liked it
Ok, I know what you are thinking. I had to read this book for a class, but I actually really enjoyed it! It definitely needs a new name so that people wouldn't be so turned off to it!
Lisa J
Aug 30, 2011 Lisa J rated it did not like it
Shelves: to-toss
Simple: Listen to your inner child. Play. Have fun with it. Give your inner child what it always wanted. Oh, please. That's if I liked children in the first place.
Puppybox
Puppybox rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2011
Creasy
Creasy rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014
JanMae Cruz
JanMae Cruz rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Radek
Radek rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2011
Alienated
Alienated rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2015
SJ
SJ rated it really liked it
Jul 06, 2013
Jorie
Jorie rated it really liked it
Jul 17, 2012
David Lurie
David Lurie rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2016
Kimberly Parrish
Kimberly Parrish rated it it was amazing
Aug 02, 2013
Michael Hołda (Holda)
Michael Hołda (Holda) rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2013
No46 rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2015
Balram Gorak
Balram Gorak rated it it was amazing
Apr 28, 2013
Georgie Fear
Georgie Fear rated it it was amazing
Oct 08, 2016
Diana
Diana rated it really liked it
Feb 05, 2015
jeffrey
jeffrey rated it really liked it
Apr 29, 2011
  • Only Child: Writers on the Singular Joys and Solitary Sorrows of Growing Up Solo
  • Age-Proof Your Brain: Sharpen Your Memory in 7 Days
  • The Knitting Goddess: Finding the Heart and Soul of Knitting Through Instruction, Projects, and Stories
  • Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies
  • Persuasion: The Art of Getting What You Want
  • Why Business People Speak Like Idiots: A Bullfighter's Guide
  • The Circle: How the Power of a Single Wish Can Change Your Life
  • The Resilience Factor: 7 Keys to  Finding Your Inner Strength and Overcoming Life's Hurdles
  • The Mind: Leading Scientists Explore the Brain, Memory, Personality, and Happiness
  • The Fisher King and the Handless Maiden: Understanding the Wounded Feeling Function in Masculine and Feminine Psychology
  • La barca sin pescador
  • Co-Active Coaching: Changing Business, Transforming Lives
  • Sons of the Profits: There's No Business Like Grow Business. The Seattle Story, 1851-1901
  • We Have Met the Enemy: Self-Control in an Age of Excess
  • A Gathering of Lace
  • Body Mind Mastery: Training for Sport and Life
  • Ten Days to Self-Esteem
  • How To Stubbornly Refuse To Make Yourself Miserable About Anything, Yes Anything
Nathaniel Branden started reading Ayn Rand's "Fountainhead" in the summer of '44 as he was introduced to it by his sister and her giggling friends.

He met Rand in California where he attended college for psychology. She responded to his fan letter.

"Atlas Shrugged" was dedicated to Branden and he became her intellectual heir. The two carried on an affair, though each was married. After a dispute, t
More about Nathaniel Branden...

“Thinking, even when thinking is difficult, versus nonthinking Awareness, even when awareness is challenging, versus unawareness Clarity, whether or not it comes easily, versus obscurity or vagueness Respect for reality, whether pleasant or painful, versus avoidance of reality Respect for truth versus rejection of truth Independence versus dependence Active orientation versus passive orientation Willingness to take appropriate risks, even in the face of fear, versus unwillingness Honesty with self versus dishonesty Living in and being responsible to the present versus retreating into fantasy Self-confrontation versus self-avoidance Willingness to see and correct mistakes versus perseverance in error Reason versus irrationalism” 3 likes
“They are not so hypocritical as to pretend that they are without standards—or without likes and dislikes. But they do not moralize and they do not seek to change behavior by evoking guilt. Thus, they do not say, “Only a sick person would do that.” Or, “Do you know how immoral you are?” Or, “Until you acknowledge your depravity, I can’t help you.” Or, “Not very bright, are you?” When we bombard people with our evaluations of their character, intelligence, and the like, we may intimidate but we do not inspire growth, confidence, or self-respect.” 3 likes