Start by marking “Easy Green Living: The Ultimate Guide to Simple, Eco-Friendly Choices for You and Your Home” as Want to Read:

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  185 ratings  ·  36 reviews
We are what we eat, but we also are what we use to clean our homes, pamper our skin, and decorate our rooms, according to RenéeLoux, accomplished raw food chef, award-winning author, and host of Fine Living TV's Easy Being Green. In her new book, Easy Green Living, she applies her whole-foods philosophy to home, garden, and beauty routines.

Renée Loux demonstrates that bein
Published April 1st 2008 by Rodale Books

To ask other readers questions about Easy Green Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Easy Green Living

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara KingsolverThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonThe Backyard Homestead by Carleen MadiganFarm City by Novella Carpenter
best sustainability
68th out of 151 books — 177 voters
Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch AlbomThe Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankThe Fountainhead by Ayn RandThe Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomThe Giving Tree by Shel Silverstein
100 Books That Impacted/Changed my Life
34th out of 87 books — 41 voters

More lists with this book...

Loren
The foward is by Michael Myers of all people. Which automatically makes you question the authencity of this book. Mike Myers? Did I just watch him dressed up in a 70's blue polyester suit singing "What's New Pussycat" to President Barack Obama? Wow... a white man gets bojangles for our black president. Have he no self-repect? I just couldn't get that image out of my mind. He even name drops Alice Cooper halfway through his obsequious homage to green living, someone no one no longer cares about, ...more
Jamie
This book begins by describing all the poisons, chemicals, and health hazards we've been steeped in all our lives... so it almost makes me feel like I'm doomed no matter what. Not the best for self-motivation.

Like other books, this one lists several different brands and companies that sell environmentally- and people-friendly products. Unlike other books, this one contains lots of "recipes" for homemade cleansers using products such as baking soda, club soda, oxygen bleach, vinegar, and lots of
Monica
One thing i really like about this book is that it gives you examples of products and companies to try. I found some things i have been looking for and thing i never knew existed. I really liked some of the recipes for homemade cleaning and skin care items.
I did find it a little hard to follow, as it does jump around. but all in all, i found it very helpful.
Sasha
Normally the prospect of a book written by a model-type and connected to a television show (and marketed as such) would turn me off. It turned me off this time, too. But I was requesting all the green cleaning books I could find from the library, so I requested this one too.

I'm quite impressed with it. The trouble that all these books have is that of insufficient information--green living is such a vast subject. I could see some spots where the author was not as clear as would have been ideal, b
Wren Wilson
Ok so the pretty, young lady on the front threw me off, I was expecting something light with common sense home-maker sort of advice but its much, much deeper than that and I ended up really liking this book. I found it very compelling and wonderfully scientific. But, I'm going to warn you right now, it's going to make you paranoid about potentially harmful or carcinogenic chemicals in basically everything. I think this is one of those cases of "Okay, I'm glad I know about unscrupulous things tha ...more
Bonnie Jean
I am currently in love with this book. It clearly explains why it is important to make eco-friendly choices in your personal life, in a way that embraces the positive changes we can make instead of sounding completely "doomsday." The author makes this easy to understand. I am borrowing this book from the library but will probably purchase it for my own referencing in the future. Also, I want to meet Renee Loux, she sounds so amazing!

Update: I bought the book. I still think it's great. And I like
Kristi
I try and do my part on living green so most of this book was information that I have read previously. As others have stated in their reviews, this is a great reference book. This is not a book to sit down and read from cover to cover.

I like that she says start small and then keep making changes to products you use, ways you cook, how you recycle, etc. We can all do our parts to live more green and I think this is a great book for finding products or getting information about making your own pr
Pam
Easy Green Living is divided into chapters based on areas in the home and personal care products. The divided and labeled sections within the chapters make the book a useful reference. A buying guide for each chapter is shown along with DIY recipes. The household information, like What to Look for in a Toilet, Energy-Efficient Washers and Dryers, Compact Fluorescent Lightbulbs; Green, Nontoxic Paints, I found especially useful. This book is more than a green guide, it is a home reference guide t ...more
M
This book had so much information in it that I kind of want to buy it so I can refer to it. (I got it from the library.) The most helpful things I learned are that nonstick cookware is bad for the environment and your health (oops!), that triclosan in antibacterial soaps is bad for the environment (I'm a mid-level germaphobe), and that oxygen bleach is way friendlier than liquid bleach. You can never learn too much about being kind to the environment, and if you learn even one new thing, this bo ...more
A great resource for cleaning product recipes. She also includes all kinds of info about all the dangerous chemicals that are basically everything you buy at the store. It makes me a little paranoid to buy anything actually but that's good, I think. I've checked this one out from the library multiple times over the past few months. She also has good lists of safe products to buy - particularly useful for personal care products (like toothpaste, deodorant, makeup, etc.)
Tiffany
So far, this is boring. It's really in depth...good for somebody wanting to take their enviromental choices to the next level, but not for a beginner. It's practically in a different language!

Okay, I'll admit, this is more of a "skim" than a "read"...I'm not even really counting it...it was pretty dull. A good reference to have around your house, if you want to look up ingredients in different products, but it's not something you can really sit down and read through.
Marybeth
Great book-one to keep as a reference. Give great cleaning ideas, many of which I have tried and work really well. Clogged drain-just poor some vinegar & backing soda in....works every time! And it really helps you decipher what is on labels of all products-cleaning, bath, makeup, etc-which is important if you are trying to avoid all of the chemicals that have found their way into our lives. I'd highly recommend this book to everyone!
Phoebe
Clear, concise, friendly, and well-organized, Easy Green Living is a good beginner's or reference guide to living lightly on the earth. I particularly appreciated descriptions of dangerous ingredients in household products and the guides to "greener" options. A few items I missed were a written conclusion to match the forward (I always appreciate closure in books, even reference guides) and resources for further learning.
Ava
Its a good book, with good ideas and diy cleaners, but one thing that annoyed me is that she used 'natural' as if it meant something. In the us it is not regulated, and companies can use it interchangeably with' it came from the earth' . not everything from the earth is good for you. be careful whenShe mentions that in a referenced earth friendly cleaner, bc it might not be as good for the earth as you think.
Christine Windhorst
I enjoyed book but would like more home made cleaning products like deodorant, laundry detergent, and dishwasing detergent! These are truly green products. So is using cloth pads over commercially available ones. Making user friendly surface spray out of water, vinegar and 10-20. Put all in a spay bottle and use in counters, sink, cat or dog ickies, to stains on the floor
Tamara
Or more aptly titled "Not-So-Easy Green Living." This is not a book with easy tips. And now I am ultra-paranoid because it mostly focuses on the crazy health hazards of plastics, cheap shampoos, and basically every other product of the modern world. Thanks for reminding me of my own mortality, Renee Loux.

I am going to go live in a commune. Or a convent. See ya there!
Ann Marie
Basically this book left me a little freaked out about the chemicals in our cleaning products, home, clothes, food, etc - but she did have really good tips and recommendations on some quick & easy "green" fixes. Though there were some extremes...I won't be going so far as switching to an organic-free-trade cotton-no-VOC mattress.
Theresa
This book is great for someone who is just starting to learn how to "greenify" their home. Although, in some places, it can scare the crap out of what you already have in your home, I think its a great learning tool for future home endeavors. There are definitely things I have changed in my lifestyle since reading this book.
Deb
Have had this book for awhile but just recently read through it and used some of the recipes for cleaning products for a demo at Whole Foods. Everything worked great. Good information and recommendations for eco-friendly products too. Plus the author lives on Maui. ;-)
Smack24
This book is very informative and gives lots of good ideas on how we can change our habbits and consumer choices to become greener. If you don't have much knowledge on greener products/produce then this is a good basic book to start with.
Nov 22, 2008 Sarah rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those interested in green living
Shelves: non-fiction
Very informative with many great recipes for at-home alternatives to harsh, store-bought products. Lots of ideas for cleaning and for health/beauty. I borrowed this from the library, but I may like to have a copy of this one day.
Latasha
A pretty thorough green revamping of the whole house. A lot of it was the same as I have been reading, but is much more in depth with explaining labels and which products to buy, which is helpful and takes the guess work out.
Jill
Jul 03, 2008 Jill added it
No visuals! Needed some pictures. Also, if I had read the whole thing I would have come out ultra paranoid about everything in my house. Good source for homemade recipes for household cleaning and the like.
Shereena
This is my encyclopedia for green living. Renee did a marvelous job on this book. I use it now as a reference and still (years later) find myself recalling bits of information I learned from it.
Kim
Lots of great info, resources and links throughout. I've been wanting more green options for body and makeup and this book has all of them. Lots of homemade remedies along with options to purchase.
Terra
If you're only going to read/buy one green living type book this is the one! I'll be buying my own copy to keep on hand at home for reference.
Erin
Buy-worthy if you are considering the lifestyle. Definitely a good reference for products and at-home recipes for cleaning solutions.
Jenn
Love this book as a reference. Not really one to read cover-to-cover, as the preaching gets a bit tedious, but lots of great information.
Lelah
Good reference, but I still feel like you have to take these kinds of guides with a grain of salt.
Michele
Has good recipes for making your own products that aren't too difficult. I hope to try them soon!
  • The Lazy Environmentalist: Your Guide to Easy, Stylish, Green Living
  • Green This!: Greening Your Cleaning (Green This, #1)
  • Clean House Clean Planet
  • Living Like Ed: One Man's Guide to Living an Environmentally Friendly Life
  • Organic Housekeeping: In Which the Nontoxic Avenger Shows You How to Improve Your Health and That of Your Family, While You Save Time, Money, And, Perhaps, Your Sanity
  • GREEN CLEAN: The Environmentally Sound Guide to Cleaning Your Home
  • Green, Greener, Greenest: A Practical Guide to Making Eco-Smart Choices a Part of Your Life
  • Gorgeously Green
  • Living Green: A Practical Guide to Simple Sustainability
  • It's Easy Being Green: A Handbook for Earth-Friendly Living
  • The Self Sufficient-ish Bible: An Eco-living Guide for the 21st Century
  • You Grow Girl
  • You Are Here: Exposing the Vital Link Between What We Do and What That Does to Our Planet
  • The Green Beauty Guide: Your Essential Resource to Organic and Natural Skin Care, Hair Care, Makeup, and Fragrances
  • Better Basics for the Home: Simple Solutions for Less Toxic Living
  • Green Chic: Saving the Earth in Style
  • EcoBeauty: Scrubs, Rubs, Masks, Rinses, and Bath Bombs for You and Your Friends
  • The Garden Primer