Start by marking “Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs. Pargeter Mysteries)” as Want to Read:
Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs. Pargeter Mysteries)

Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter #5)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  174 ratings  ·  20 reviews
The sleuthing skills of feisty widow Melita Pargeter are put to the challenge when a dead body turns up in her wine cellar in this newest mystery novel by the author of "Mrs. Pargeter's Pound of Flesh" and "Mrs. Pargeter's Package".
Published January 1st 1998 by Scribner (first published December 6th 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Mrs. Pargeter's Plot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mrs. Pargeter's Plot

Anne Seebach
I unexpectedly found this on my bookshelf last night, and don't ever remember having read it before. One of those acquisitions on a whim presumably, which I'd put aside and forgotten about. What a find! I have a soft spot for cozies but there are so many out there now, they can become tediously similar and 'blah' (ie. uninspired and uninspiring). Refreshingly, I found Mrs Pargeter and her posse of reformed (mostly) ex-cons were consistently delightful. So the characters were a bit unrealistic an ...more
Julianne
It's just plain fun to read the Mrs. Pargeter books! Starting with the premise. Mrs. Pargeter is a middle-aged lady in England who still doesn't want to know exactly what her late husband did for a living, but she enjoys the lifestyle he created for her, and she calls on all his former business associates to help her solve little problems that come up. Like why is there a dead body in the wine cellar?

She's having the home of her dreams built, but when she goes to inspect it, there's this body in
Kate
"Construction on Mrs. Pargeter's new country home comes to an unfortunate halt when a corpse is discovered in the wine cellar.

"The accused is Concrete Jacket, a mate of her late, lamented husband, who made a living in discreetly nefarious ways. While Concrete has a history of untimely incarceration, Mrs. P is not about to let prison come between her and her dream home. Concrete may be a scoundrel, but he's no killer.

"The strange arrival of an irascible monkey, an ex-con determined to make 'rest
Cindy
Mrs. Pargeter is finally getting that cottage in the country she and her late husband always talked about. Unfortunately, construction hits a snag when her builder is arrested for murder and the corpse is found on the construction site. Mrs. Pargeter is sure that her builder, with the interesting nickname of Concrete Jacket, is innocent. She pulls out her notebooks of helpful names left to her by her late husband (who had some rather, well, UNUSUAL friends) and sets to work clearing Jacket's nam ...more
Fanficfan44
Mrs. Pargeter is a wonderful sleuth and the cast is fleshed out by a colorful, fascinating cast of characters, such as Gary the driver, Concrete Jacket the builder and his wife Tracy, Truffler the detective, Hedge clipper Clinton, Keyhole Crabbe – lock pick extraordinaire, and Fossilface. Mr. Brett’s trademark sly social humor is threaded throughout. The mystery resolves quite satisfactorily through Mrs. Pargeter’s sleuthing with the help of her deceased husband’s cohorts.
Mary
Never read a Mrs. Pargeter I did not love!
But when you include a marmoset named Erasmus and a scary ex-con (aptly named Fossilface) who has seen the light and wants to repay his debts to those ex-associates he wronged in the past, but using his newly acquired and somewhat difficient sense of humor...the farce reaches an all time high.
Ana
Yet another witty installment in the always enjoyable Mrs. Pargeter series by Simon Brett. For some reason, this one didn't hold my attention as much as the previous books (I am thinking of the one set in Greece and the one in a suburban development), but the antics of Fossilface making "restistooshun" were quite funny.
KarenC
Quirky, funny British mystery starring Mrs. Pargeter, widow of deceased crime organizer. Mrs. P. gets involved with husband's former colleagues who avoid mentioning his criminal past, but who are all grateful enough to help Mrs. P. in her current adventures. Humorous, good chuckle every now & again. Want to read more.
Marilou
I'm only listening to this because I can't find any more Dorothy Sayers or Dorothy Cannell on cd at the library; need my fix of British tea (cozies). Brett is funny, though, "...on the graceful side of a snore..."
Bonnie
Short, quite entertaining in audiobook form since I'm a sucker for English accents. Characters are humorous and the dialogue is witty. The whole thing is silly, but fun.
Scilla
This book seemed pretty stupid. Mrs. Pargetter, wife of a deceased crook is chasing down some of her husbands former comrades.
Ken
Not up to the others I've read--not as well-thought-out, a bit flimsy. Nice to revisit the characters.
Sarahanne
Really delightful. An "old school" feel but modern enough. I'll be searching for more in the series.
Diane Felci
This book was very entertaining. I thought it was funny, especially when you throw in a marmoset.
April
These ones are so much better than his other series. Why did he change?
Kim
May 04, 2012 Kim rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: mystery
Not much of a plot or mystery. Started slow, but pciked up.
Helen
excellent, humorous twists
Rachel
Really enjoying this series.
Craig
Another cozy cozy.
Becky
Becky is currently reading it
Dec 19, 2014
Debbie Gregg
Debbie Gregg marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Sherrie
Sherrie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2014
Dave Bowmore
Dave Bowmore is currently reading it
Oct 24, 2014
John
John added it
Nov 04, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came (Agatha Raisin, #12)
  • Frequent Hearses (Gervase Fen, #7)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Pinches the Post
  • Death in the Cotswolds (Thea Osborne, #3)
  • Death on the Lizard (Kathryn Ardleigh, #12)
  • Accomplice
Simon Brett is a prolific British writer of whodunnits.

He is the son of a Chartered Surveyor and was educated at Dulwich College and Wadham College, Oxford, where he got a first class honours degree in English.

He then joined the BBC as a trainee and worked for BBC Radio and London Weekend Television, where his work included 'Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy' and 'Frank Muir Goes Into ...'.

Afte
More about Simon Brett...
The Body on the Beach (Fethering, #1) Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2) The Torso in the Town (Fethering, #3) Murder in the Museum (Fethering, #4) The Stabbing in the Stables (Fethering, #7)