Little One Step

Little One Step

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  33 reviews
"This book has the classic feeling of a modern-day MAKE WAY FOR DUCKLINGS. . . .Charming." — KIRKUS REVIEWS (starred review)

What do you do when you’re little and lost and your legs feel all wobbly? For one tiny duckling, the trick is doing "One Step," a surprising technique that enables him to walk under the tallest of trees and across the widest of fields. Using simple la...more
Board Book, 24 pages
Published December 26th 2007 by Candlewick Press (first published March 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Little One Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Little One Step

Amy Musser
Three little birds get lost one day and have to find their way through the forest, across the meadow, and back home to Mama. The oldest and middle ducklings aren’t worried at all, but the littlest duckling doesn’t think he can do it! His legs are all wobbly and he wants his Mama! Luckily, his older siblings teach him how to do the One Step all the way home. The watercolor and ink illustrations compliment this sweet story that features a supportive and caring sibling relationship.

Read More at Pi...more
Sarah Herranen
Little One Step is a creative book about a little duckling who is having a hard time walking home. The two older brothers do everything in their power to help their little brother home. So they device a game that the youngest can play in order to get home and not feel so weak, tired, and wobbly. Every time he lifts is leg into the air he says "one" and every time he puts his leg down, he says "step." They decide to name their youngest brother "Little One Step." Little One Step and his brothers m...more
Tyley Hunter
Simon James writes a story about how life can be hard at times, but you can make it through anything one step at a time. This adorable tale is about three little ducklings making their way home to see their mother. The youngest duckling gets tired along the way and feels like he can go any further, but his two older brothers push him forward by telling him to say “one step” each time he takes a step. The little duckling tries this and before he knows it, he is back home. I absolutely love the me...more
Ally Copper
For children pre-K through first grade, "Little One Step" by Simon James has a great message about how any journey, no matter how long, is made up of one step, followed by another step, followed by another step, and so on. As the three duckling brothers travel from the forest back to their mother, the littlest duck doesn't feel he can make it. The oldest brother teaches him the "One Step" to help make the trip more bearable. Eventually they make it to their destination and the littlest duckling...more
Caitlin W.
Little One Step is an endearing story about perseverance and not giving up. It's the tale of three brother ducklings who get lost far from their mother and have to make their way back to her. The littlest duckling is very tired, and doesn't think he can make it, until his older brother teaches him a trick: Lift your foot up and say "One," and say "Step" as you put it down. Just by taking things one step at a time, you can accomplish even the most daunting task. Since the littlest duckling was so...more
Robin
It's always a pleasure to read a picture book by Simon James. Just happened to see this on the cart of books to be shelved today. Little One Step is a duck who is getting VERY tired until his big brother teaches him to just focus on one step at a time. Good advice for any of us!
Karen
This book is so true! When my son was a toddler, he'd run around the house like an idiot, or run through the library pulling books off of the shelves if I set him down for a SECOND. But did he walk on his own when I wanted him to? -- No way! And so, Little One Step finds he can walk no farther.

I could have sworn that the author is French, because he style is so clean, simple, and yet elegant, but when I looked on the back cover, he appears to be as American as I am. So, there is hope for me yet...more
Renee
Little One Step by Simon James is a story about how problems occur in life and how to deal with the obstacles. Three duck siblings are trying to get home to their mother but the littlest duck keeps getting tired and doesn't know if he can make it home. The two brothers help their littlest sibling overcome the situation by teaching him to take one step at a time and keep going. The littlest duck takes his brothers advice and puts one foot in front of the next until he makes it home to his mother....more
Cheryl
Beautiful pictures and a simple story line about perseverence
Rosa Cline
This is a very simple basic story. To us (my 21 mth granddaughter and I) it was to slow. We were bored before we finished the story. But it is a cute story of a little duck trying to make his way one step at a time.
Kally
Who said kids books couldn't be inspirational?
Tatiana
Simon James' illustrations in Little One Step are precious and soft, reminding me in color and framing of the Winnie the Pooh books. The story, too, is worthwhile: sometimes we need to take things that seem hard or that overwhelms us one step at a time. Then they aren't are difficult, and many they even become easy!

My only complaint is that this was a hard book to read aloud. There are so many configurations of one, little, and step that my tongue got all tied up!
Susan
While I am a big Simon James fan, unfortunately this is a sweet story of lost ducklings - but lost ducklings finding their mamas has been done to death (and with a lot more oomph in other picture books). The choice of only using beige and tans for the art does not do much to enhance this story especially if you are looking at it as a potential group reading book - but even as a one to one, it's just the same every page which I think children will find somewhat boring.
Kristy Schwertfeger
This is a sweet book. It is a about a family of ducks trying to walk home. The walk is very far and everyone is tried especially the little one. So brother duck says the secret is just do one step. Say one step each step. Little one does this all the way home and forgets how long the walk is. I love how Little one's brother is there to help encourage her and make her forget about the walk. Very cute good read aloud.
A simple story good for sparking discussion about perseverance, this takes the idea of "one step at a time" and makes it very concrete for youngsters. A little duck needs to keep walking but complains his legs are getting tired. His siblings recommend the "one step" to get him there. Light orange-y watercolors with thin black outline support the text, however the range of expressions on the faces of the ducks is limited.
Vivian
Three siblings are trudging home. The youngest tires. The older siblings lend encouragement. Just take one more step. They make a game of it. Every time the youngest wants to give up, encouragement comes again. And that's how the littlest gets the name "Little One Step".

I absolutely love this story. Of course I own my own copy! Sometimes we each need a little urging to just take another step.
Kendra
Love the concept, love the illustrations, a quick and easy inspirational and motivational read (if you want to look at it symbolically) but honestly I think it went over my kids' heads. I think it would be fun to include in a lesson about doing the simple things in life - and maybe reading and learning from when my kids are older - but for now, not my favorite.
Dana
Patrick Allen recommended this book at a workshop as a picture book that may work well for discussing "gradual release." This book has a good message about endurance and about guided help that moves toward independence. It could may a useful read aloud for opening learning conversations in a readers workshop in September/October.
Kelly
This story was just okay for me. The main character's brother had to keep telling him how to solve his problem--I would have liked to see the main character come up with a way to solve his own problem. The illustrations are absolutely gorgeous, although the monochromatic palette didn't seem to engage my 7-month-old daughter.
Kathy Ellen Davis
Very sweet story about brothers, Mama, taking one step at a time, and journeys.
The watercolors are very sweet, as is the story.
I dare you not to fall in love with Little One Step. He's so cute!

Haiku Review:
Just one step. One step.
and one more, and another,
and then we get there.
Elizabeth K.
Mar 26, 2012 Elizabeth K. rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elizabeth by: NYPL
Shelves: 2012-lucy
I thought this was gentle and sweet and adorable, but the charming watercolor illustrations didn't really hold Lucy's interest at 13 months. Babies have no taste! Heh, we will try this again when she's old enough to get more of the story, perhaps.
Ami
Really cute story that my kids love. I need to buy this one. It has been really good for the kids with working with things that are hard. It was put in a way that was easy for children to understand.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
A book about persistance, putting your head down, and just getting on with the task at hand. Or as Sydney Uni bushwalkers used to say Pushing On Regardless.
Jenny
Cute book I like the morale and think it can apply to life as well as running, one step at a time turns into miles and ultimately you've run a marathon!
Emily
The pictures are sweet and the message of "don't give up when things are hard" is clear. However, it just seemed cute, nothing particularly special...
Kellie
Anyone who has a child in their life needs to get this book. It's great for reading to toddlers, as well as great for beginning readers.
Kelley Mcalhany
A book about a little duck and his siblings looking for their mother. He gets so tired so his brother teaches him a trick to keep going.
Linda
This is a great story for little ones, and a great reminder for grown ups too. Always keep going no matter what. Loved it!
Joy
Go for "The Little Engine That Could" instead--same idea but better told. Not that impressed with this one.
June
May 22, 2012 June rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents or older storytime groups
This didn't go over as well as I remembered it, maybe an older group, or it might be more a story for adults.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Simon James is the award-winning author-illustrator of many children’s books, including such favorites as DEAR GREENPEACE, LEON AND BOB, and the Baby Brains series. His stories often concern a child’s relationship with the natural world. Simon James lives in England.
More about Simon James...
Dear Mr. Blueberry Baby Brains: The Smartest Baby in the Whole World George Flies South Ancient Rome Nurse Clementine