Start by marking “Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter” as Want to Read:
Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  486 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Daily readings for the Lenten season by Thomas Merton, Kathleen Norris, Henri Nouwen, Wendell Berry, G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, Mother Teresa, Dorothy Sayers, Philip Yancey, John Updike, and many others.
Published January 8th 2008 by Orbis Books (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Wine

Ashley
Apr 07, 2016 Ashley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christ-following
Now, this collection made me dig deep.

These 72 readings—divided into themes of invitation, temptation, the passion, the crucifixion, the resurrection, and new life—are best read one at a time, with plenty of time in between for meditation.

The writers include G.K. Chesterton, Wendell Berry, N.T. Wright, John Stott, Dorothy Sayers, C.S. Lewis, Mother Teresa, Christina Rossetti, Oswald Chambers, Saint Augustine, Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, and a whole host of others. (There are m
Faith
Feb 03, 2015 Faith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bread and Wine is a collection of seventy-two readings spanning all the themes of Lent and Easter.
There are poems, prayers, meditations, excerpts from sermons and essays and lengthy theological tomes.

The authors come from all over the world, from all ages and times.

There is Kahlil Gibran, an early 20th century Lebanese poet raised as a Maronite Catholic.
There is George MacDonald, a Scottish fantasy author and minister in the 1800s.
There is Ernesto Cardenal, a Nicaraguan poet and cultural ac
Create With Joy
If you want to deepen your spiritual life and reflect on the mystery and miracle of Christ’s death and resurrection – then consider Bread And Wine – Readings For Lent And Easter for your personal devotional time!

Bread And Wine is a collection of 72 readings from a wide spectrum of classic and contemporary authors who share their thoughts on the following themes:

* Invitation

In case you are wondering why there are 72 readings since there ar
Jen
May 25, 2013 Jen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
some of the readings I enjoyed more than others, but overall, a worthwhile book. Will add more quotes as I have time.

Some gems so far...

Beneath Thy Cross- Christina Rossetti
Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a sta
Crystal
So disappointed! Most of this collection is greatly distorting scripture!! The writers are taking verses terribly out of context and some seem mentally disturbed. Good grief! Pretty covered book will go in the trash. The only handful of good readings can't save it.
I bought this months ago and looked forward to reading it during Lent season. Now I look forward to burning it in the weekend's bonfire.
Patty
The folks that put this devotional together did a great job. There is a wide variety of authors and subjects from Kathleen Norris through Muggeridge to some folks I have never read before.

This is the third year I have used this book for my Lenten devotions. So far it hasn't gotten old. There are some devotions that I remember from year to year, but that does not affect the impact that the whole collection has.

Every year I read and learn something new. I would recommend this to anyone who is int
John Sheehan
So many authors; so much wisdom and knowledge, how could one not love this book taking one down the path of amazing people who have been touched by a loving and living God like just one author in this book whom I just love his lively words is John Stott; saying,

I could never myself believe in God, if it were not for the cross. The only God I believe in is the one Nietzsche ridiculed as “God on the Cross.” In the real world of pain, how could one worship a God who was immune to it? I have entered
C.E. Hart
Jan 22, 2015 C.E. Hart rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: devotional
…And thus we rust Life’s iron chain degraded and alone: and some men curse, and some men weep, and some men make no moan: but God’s eternal Laws are kind and break the heart of stone. ~Oscar Wilde (The Ballad of Reading Gaol)

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter, is a book of daily meditations that encourage us to reflect on obstacles in our lives, strengthen our faith, and prepare our hearts for Easter.

This collection of seventy-two readings is grouped into six themes: Invitation, Tempta
J. Ewbank
May 25, 2015 J. Ewbank rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-good-read, religion
This is an excellent book for Lent and Easter. It is a collection of essays written by many Chrisitan masters. It provides one with an exceellent breadth of devotions and throughts for the season. It is a useful book for the individual as well as for a group. Happy to have this book in my library.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the Isms" "Wesley's Wars" and "To Whom It May Concern"
Conrad
Mar 15, 2015 Conrad rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A broad collection of writings from a wide variety of Christian authors covering six sections: Invitation, Temptation, Passion, Crucifixion, Resurrection and New Life. Great for daily devotional reading. I think my favorite essay in the whole book was Malcolm Muggeridge's 'Impending Resurrection' - excellent!
Shasta
Apr 08, 2015 Shasta rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book of devotionals for the Lent and Easter season! I highly recommend this one to you all.
Mallory
A wonderful preparation for the Easter season. I enjoyed the variety of readings and perspectives presented.

Favorite quotes: "Very few of us debate with the sordid and evil and wrong, but we do debate with the good. It is the good that hates the best, and the higher up you get in the scale of the natural virtues, the more intense is the opposition to Jesus Christ...Beware of refusing to go to the funeral of your own independence." - Oswald Chambers, from "The Relinquished Life"

"Realize that to
Julius McCarter
Dec 02, 2014 Julius McCarter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently reviewed Plough Publishing's Watch for the Light Advent and Christmas devotional. This collection is a sequel to that devotional. And it's simply the best I've seen.

With the same theological diversity and literary complexity, Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent and Easter is a beautifully-written, spiritually-deep, theologically-challenging and ecumenically-diverse collection. This is the Lent and Easter devotional that I'll return to year after year.

The collection of readings is itse
Paul
Sep 06, 2009 Paul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"For Breadth of scope and depth of insight nothing rivals this collection", says on the dust jacket. I heartily agree! This collection of readings is the best supplement to Lenten and Easter devotional reading that I have ever used. I've never seen such a selection of great authors' writings between the covers of one book. Each of the 72 selections are about 4 or 5 pages long. They are grouped into 6 sections that form a progression from the Invitation prepare for Easter by seriously examining o ...more
Valeska
Mar 03, 2015 Valeska rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I was getting a bit of whiplash reading this book as it is a very diverse collection of writings. It is tough to hop from Martin Luther to Thomas Merton to Leo Tolstoy to Dorothy Sayers to Edith Stein. I had to take it more slowly to get more out of it. It was very helpful to reference the small biography at the back of the book for the different authors. It made it easier to go into reading a passage when I knew it was written by an "American Protestant existentialist theologian" or " ...more
Jamie
Jun 07, 2013 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another book of daily devotional readings that came to me from a minister at my church. It is a collection of writings by a variety of church and lay people, organized to take you through Lent, the Easter season, and beyond. Some of the readings did give me some things to think about as I made the journey through the season (ending today because sometimes I fall off of my devotional bandwagon). A few really got me thinking about how I need to reshape a few things in my life to live a mor ...more
Elizabeth
Apr 28, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A journey through Lent and Easter featuring 72 essays by nearly as many writers with a strong bent toward social justice. My favorite Lenten/Eastertide companion.
I have just won a copy of this book via Goodreads Giveaways. After I've received it, read it, and formed my opinions, I'll post my honest review. Stay tuned!
Greg Burdine
Nov 08, 2014 Greg Burdine rated it really liked it
Read this through Lent but it had a few extra readings I finished later. Had some very good readings. Others were okay. Worth the time to read during Lent.
Feb 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: imperfect Christians
Recommended to Jennifer by: the old Plough catalogues from the Bruderhof
So I didn't get all the way through this book, as it was on the kitchen table when the ceiling started leaking again, resulting in some gnashing of teeth and calls to the landlord. But it's good enough that I may replace it in time for some future Lent.

There are selections by authors both renowned and unknown grouped by a progression of Lenten themes: invitation, temptation, passion, crucifixion, resurrection. These short essays and poems are thoughtfully chosen and challenging. In large part t
Diane Badger
Mar 10, 2014 Diane Badger rated it it was amazing
I re-read this every year. Great collection of Lenten thought by a wide variety of authors
Jeff
Apr 15, 2014 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one terrific book. I've been reading this daily over Lent and have found it to be one of the best sources of devotional readings I've yet encountered. It contains 72 readings, each 3-6 pages in length, by a wide variety of authors from Augustine to Watchman Nee to N.T. Wright. It's a great collection that has delivered without fail on a daily basis. You will not be disappointed with this collection
Linda
Jan 21, 2016 Linda marked it as to-read
Lenten devotional
Anna
Apr 16, 2015 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of writing excerpts organized around the themes of invitation, temptation, passion, crucifixion, resurrection, and new life. I got to know some new authors that I had never heard of before (I really appreciated the thorough bibliography at the end) and enjoyed some new essays from authors that I already like. The poetry was especially good. Will probably pick this up again during a future lent/easter season.
Kristi
Jun 07, 2015 Kristi rated it liked it
Took me a little longer to finish this one beyond the Easter season. I have previously read "Watch for the Light" which is for the Advent season. I enjoyed it so much that I was thrilled to learn there was a Lenten edition. While this one is much lengthier than its Advent counterpart, the selection of writings is still top notch and made for wonderful devotional reading for Lent and Easter this year.
Allison Severson
I thoroughly enjoyed many of the readings from this book. My family read the poem, "The Seven Stanzas of Easter" together before Easter dinner, and I read others throughout lent and Easter. I didn't read every single reading, but will definitely go back to this book next year. I like that the book is divided into sections (crucifixion, new life, passion, etc) so that you can pick and choose what to read.
Nikki
May 12, 2008 Nikki marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikki by: Songbird
Note that Wendell Berry is only one among many authors represented in these readings -- and perhaps not representative. Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Thomas a Kempis, Thomas Merton are among the others. So far, 17 days into Lent, I'm finding it very strong on Fall-Redemption, substitutionary atonement theology. -- Later -- I never did finish and now have put this aside for next year.
Shasta
Apr 14, 2016 Shasta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2016
This is an amazing book to read during the Lenten season. It is thought provoking and a wonderful study as you journey from Ash Wednesday to Easter Sunday. Each chapter/devotion is written by some of the foremost authors and theologians of the Christian faith. Having such a wide and varied group of voices offers you so many ways to approach Easter and all it means.
Adam
Jul 29, 2011 Adam rated it really liked it
Shelves: devotional
This is an excellent collection of writings to be used during Lent and Easter. It contains short excerpts from modern theologians such as N.T. Wright and Jurgen Moltmann to more historical thinkers like Pascal and Augustine. As is common with collections such as this, some readings are better than others but all in all it makes for good reflective material.
Mark
May 21, 2011 Mark rated it really liked it
Lots of insightful short daily readings on suffering, waiting, crucifixion, resurrection, etc - all themes surrounding Lent. If you like and are enriched by a diversity of theological perspectives being brought to bear on one theme, these 72 short chapters are for you. I'm planning the read the Advent version of this series.
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • The Attentive Life: Discerning God's Presence in All Things
  • Making All Things New: An Invitation to the Spiritual Life
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • The Divine Hours: Prayers for Summertime--A Manual for Prayer, Volume 1 of 3
  • Disquiet Time: Rants and Reflections on the Good Book by the Skeptical, the Faithful, and a Few Scoundrels
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • The Power of Praying: Help for a Woman's Journey Through Life
  • The Spirit of Food: Thirty-Four Writers on Feasting and Fasting Toward God
  • Living the Christian Year: Time to Inhabit the Story of God
  • Radical Hospitality: Benedict's Way of Love
  • Journaling as a Spiritual Practice: Encountering God Through Attentive Writing
Thomas Merton was one of the most influential Catholic authors of the 20th century. A Trappist monk of the Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani, in the American state of Kentucky, Merton was an acclaimed Catholic spiritual writer, poet, author and social activist. Merton wrote over 60 books, scores of essays and reviews, and is the ongoing subject of many biographies. Merton was also a proponent of int ...more
More about Thomas Merton...