Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent & Easter

Bread and Wine: Readings for Lent & Easter

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  278 ratings  ·  37 reviews
Daily readings for the Lenten season by Thomas Merton, Kathleen Norris, Henri Nouwen, Wendell Berry, G.K. Chesterton, C.S. Lewis, Mother Teresa, Dorothy Sayers, Philip Yancey, John Updike, and many others.
Published January 8th 2008 by Orbis Books (first published October 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Bread and Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bread and Wine

Jen
some of the readings I enjoyed more than others, but overall, a worthwhile book. Will add more quotes as I have time.

Some gems so far...

Beneath Thy Cross- Christina Rossetti
Am I a stone, and not a sheep,
That I can stand, O Christ, beneath thy cross,
To number drop by drop Thy Blood's slow loss,
And yet not weep?

Not so those women loved
Who with exceeding grief lamented Thee;
Not so fallen Peter weeping bitterly;
Not so the thief was moved;

Not so the Sun and Moon
Which hid their faces in a sta...more
Paul Dubuc
"For Breadth of scope and depth of insight nothing rivals this collection", says on the dust jacket. I heartily agree! This collection of readings is the best supplement to Lenten and Easter devotional reading that I have ever used. I've never seen such a selection of great authors' writings between the covers of one book. Each of the 72 selections are about 4 or 5 pages long. They are grouped into 6 sections that form a progression from the Invitation prepare for Easter by seriously examining o...more
Jamie
This is another book of daily devotional readings that came to me from a minister at my church. It is a collection of writings by a variety of church and lay people, organized to take you through Lent, the Easter season, and beyond. Some of the readings did give me some things to think about as I made the journey through the season (ending today because sometimes I fall off of my devotional bandwagon). A few really got me thinking about how I need to reshape a few things in my life to live a mor...more
Feb 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: imperfect Christians
Recommended to Jennifer by: the old Plough catalogues from the Bruderhof
So I didn't get all the way through this book, as it was on the kitchen table when the ceiling started leaking again, resulting in some gnashing of teeth and calls to the landlord. But it's good enough that I may replace it in time for some future Lent.

There are selections by authors both renowned and unknown grouped by a progression of Lenten themes: invitation, temptation, passion, crucifixion, resurrection. These short essays and poems are thoughtfully chosen and challenging. In large part t...more
Diane Badger
I re-read this every year. Great collection of Lenten thought by a wide variety of authors
Patty
The folks that put this devotional together did a great job. There is a wide variety of authors and subjects from Kathleen Norris through Muggeridge to some folks I have never read before.

This is the third year I have used this book for my Lenten devotions. So far it hasn't gotten old. There are some devotions that I remember from year to year, but that does not affect the impact that the whole collection has.

Every year I read and learn something new. I would recommend this to anyone who is int...more
Jeff
This is one terrific book. I've been reading this daily over Lent and have found it to be one of the best sources of devotional readings I've yet encountered. It contains 72 readings, each 3-6 pages in length, by a wide variety of authors from Augustine to Watchman Nee to N.T. Wright. It's a great collection that has delivered without fail on a daily basis. You will not be disappointed with this collection
Allison Severson
I thoroughly enjoyed many of the readings from this book. My family read the poem, "The Seven Stanzas of Easter" together before Easter dinner, and I read others throughout lent and Easter. I didn't read every single reading, but will definitely go back to this book next year. I like that the book is divided into sections (crucifixion, new life, passion, etc) so that you can pick and choose what to read.
Nikki
May 12, 2008 Nikki marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikki by: Songbird
Note that Wendell Berry is only one among many authors represented in these readings -- and perhaps not representative. Kierkegaard, Bonhoeffer, Thomas a Kempis, Thomas Merton are among the others. So far, 17 days into Lent, I'm finding it very strong on Fall-Redemption, substitutionary atonement theology. -- Later -- I never did finish and now have put this aside for next year.
Adam
This is an excellent collection of writings to be used during Lent and Easter. It contains short excerpts from modern theologians such as N.T. Wright and Jurgen Moltmann to more historical thinkers like Pascal and Augustine. As is common with collections such as this, some readings are better than others but all in all it makes for good reflective material.
Mark
Lots of insightful short daily readings on suffering, waiting, crucifixion, resurrection, etc - all themes surrounding Lent. If you like and are enriched by a diversity of theological perspectives being brought to bear on one theme, these 72 short chapters are for you. I'm planning the read the Advent version of this series.
Cathy
This is an anthology of readings for Lent and Easter. Writers include C. S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton, Frederick Buechner, Madeleine L'Engle, Henri Nouwen, and Dorothy Day, Wendell Berry, and others. I am reading one writing a day. Excellent readings for Lent. I am reading this for an online book discussion with Revgalblogpals.
Jenni Simmons
I've read this book before, so I decided to set it aside this year and focus on the other Lenten book I'm reading. Bread and Wine is very hit or miss. There are great readings, and some not so great. However, I do glean good quotes from this book each year.
Nancy Moffett
Good solid Lent and Easter readings from a wide variety of authors. Surprising how they all agree on the most important facts. Christ died. Christ is risen. Christ will come again. I read this book in Lent (some years) to prepare. Good variety, good writing.
Alan
Very good devotional for Lent, Easter, and the months beyond, with readings from Augustine, N T Wright, Dorothy Day, and a diverse group of others. Longer review here: http://eyesandearsblog.blogspot.com/2...
Joanne
Apr 25, 2011 Joanne rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joanne by: Tim
Shelves: devotional
Great anthology of assorted readings, organized by theme. Dipped into them throughout the Lenten weeks and enjoyed the variety of authors and perspectives and genres. Will inevitably return to it, and look forward to the Advent equivalent.
Stewart Clem
A wonderful Lenten devotional. While there are some stellar essays in here, there are a few duds as well. It seems like the editor aimed a little too broadly to really create a coherent presentation, but overall it's worth the time.
Elizabeth
Perfect for helping me focus with a fresh perspective on this time of year. This book, along with a number of other outside influences, helped me handle the season responsibly for the first time ever.
Linda
A fine collection for Lent reading. Helped me to focus on the entire period rather than just the Easter weekend. I will probably read it annually.
Kristin
I just started it today! It is going to be very good...all the authors I like talking about lent. IT seems like a good way to celebrate the season...
Keri Daskam
I liked this book slightly less than the Advent book, but there was still definite potential from the individual essays to blow me away.
Yoby
I read this book every Lenten season. the great authors are too numerous to mention, so are the pages I underlined.
Jessica Stock
Great book! I re-read it every year . . . this year looking to add a new one if anybody has any suggestions for Lent.
Amy Young
Good for an annual read. What a rich history of experiences and cultures and ways of expressing tenets of the faith.
Jill
I really enjoyed some of these selections, but others were too theologically incorrect for me to find any value.
RF
I am VERY fond of Wendell Berry's writings. I can only imagine this would be a great book for the Lenten season.
Al
Good daily reading for lent and beyond lent. (includes somewhere around 60 days worth of readings.)
Katie
I read some of the readings during Easter, definitely good reflections during this time in the church year.
Emily
A daily devotional for the season of Lent. Wonderful authors....a must have for any literary Christian.
Leanne
I come back this collection of thoughtful essays by many writers almost every year.
  • Watch for the Light: Readings for Advent and Christmas
  • Practicing Resurrection: A Memoir of Work, Doubt, Discernment, and Moments of Grace
  • Spiritual Direction: Wisdom for the Long Walk of Faith
  • The Magnificent Defeat
  • Seeing Gray in a World of Black and White: Thoughts on Religion, Morality, and Politics
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Life with God: Reading the Bible for Spiritual Transformation
  • God's Joyful Surprise: Finding Yourself Loved
  • Jesus Freak: Feeding Healing Raising the Dead
  • New Monasticism: What It Has to Say to Today's Church
  • Celtic Daily Prayer: Prayers and Readings From the Northumbria Community
  • The Liturgical Year: The Spiraling Adventure of the Spiritual Life - The Ancient Practices Series
  • The Divine Hours (Volume Two): Prayers for Autumn and Wintertime: A Manual for Prayer
  • Freedom of Simplicity: Finding Harmony in a Complex World
  • Seeking Enlightenment... Hat by Hat: A Skeptic's Guide to Religion
  • Christ Plays in Ten Thousand Places: A Conversation in Spiritual Theology (Spiritual Theology #1)
Books can be attributed to "Unknown" when the author or editor (as applicable) is not known and cannot be discovered. If at all possible, list at least one actual author or editor for a book instead of using "Unknown".

Books whose authorship is purposefully withheld should be attributed instead to Anonymous.
More about Unknown...
Beowulf: A New Verse Translation Sir Gawain and the Green Knight Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, and Sir Orfeo Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, Pearl, Cleanness, Patience The Mabinogion