Start by marking “Night of the Radishes” as Want to Read:
Night of the Radishes

Night of the Radishes

Annie Rush has it all. A loving husband, adoring sons, an interesting job. But tragedy haunts her. Her identical twin sister died in a horrifying farm accident when the girls were nine years old, and in the wake of the grief and guilt that followed, her older brother left home for good. The death of her mother prompts Annie to seek her brother and revisit her long-lost pas ...more
Published January 12th 2005 by Hachette Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Radishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Radishes

Elise
Aug 27, 2012 Elise rated it it was ok
This book was a bit of a disappointment. I expected something much more lyrical, magical, and atmospherically rich than what was delivered (especially since I had previously read Benitez's "Bitter Grounds," which does have some of these qualities, even though it was preachy at times). The reason I was initially attracted to "Night of the Radishes" was the Oaxaca, Mexico setting--a place that has always intrigued me and one I have always wanted to visit. However, even the parts of this novel set ...more
Sharneel
Dec 22, 2011 Sharneel rated it it was ok
I am continuing to read this novel, but I have to note a couple of points. First, I have never known an adult child who was caring for a dying parent who did not have a solid knowledge of that parent's finances. Needless o say, I lost confidence in this story when, Ta-dum, she discovers this huge financial gift from her Mother's bank account in the 'drawer'. Then she travels to Mexico where she meets Joe, a total stranger who almost instantly becomes her constant companion and friend . In one pa ...more
Robin
Oct 04, 2007 Robin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pretty good read. It was different, but light. It was about searching for a woman's past that wasn't what she remembered it as being all of her life. Annie had a twin that died in a tractor accident. Three years later her father committed suicide in their basement. Their older brother left home without saying good-bye, and Annie stayed and watched while her mother smoked herself to death. After her death, she searches for her brother. She finds him in Mexico. It was a very refreshing ...more
abby
Mar 08, 2007 abby rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction
It's a rare book that can achieve exactly the opposite of the author's intentions -- I'm not just indifferent to the (grieving/closure-seeking) main character, I kind of actively loathe her. Perhaps I'm just an asshole, or perhaps this is a bad book.
Ann
Feb 06, 2012 Ann rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2012-books
Story of Annie, whose dying mother left her a financial windfall and a quest to locate her long-lost brother. He turns up in Mexico, she goes to find him, extracurricular romance ensues, siblings united, long-standing disfunction address, all is well. Great Lifetime movie, but a yawn.
Melissa
May 05, 2008 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Meg
Shelves: 30-books-2008
This was a splendid, yet tragic book. I really enjoyed reading it and could not put it down. I highly recommend this book. The only thing I did not like… spoiler alert… was the affair. I felt that it had no place and added nothing to the story.
Jane Dugger
Jul 02, 2009 Jane Dugger rated it really liked it
I was unsure what this book was going to be about but really liked it in the end. It is about the concept of the "twinless twin." This is a twin who has lost their twin to death. (Ms Benitez is a twinless twin.)

This would be great for discussion.
Swanbender2001
Aug 05, 2009 Swanbender2001 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This might be my favorite book by Benitez so far. I have read Bitter Grounds and Where the Sea Remembers by her and remember thinking the same thing when I finished both of those though! This one is about Annie Rush Hart after her mother dies, married to Sam and mother of Will and Jack. A happy wife and mother and corporate trainer but also aware of the suppressed emotions she has carried since her identical twin died at the age of 9 in a tragic farm accident she witnessed and her father committ ...more
Chana
The story of Annie, a woman who has suffered a lot of loss in her life; The book opens with the death of her mother, and we learn about the death of her twin sister and father as well. Her brother has been estranged from the family for over 20 years and much of the story has to do with Annie's search for him. It is over-sentimental, full of pop psychology and kind of a blender of religion mixing new-age with Mexican and Indian traditions, some Catholic I assume, others I don't know the source of ...more
Tekapope
Jul 01, 2012 Tekapope rated it liked it
Linda
May 24, 2016 Linda rated it really liked it
I like this book pretty well. Annie had a twin who died in an accident when she was about 10, her father committed suicide and her brother disappeared when she was still a teenager, leaving her with her mother. The book is about her present day life though. Her mother just died of emphysema and her dying wish was that Annie find and reconnect with her brother. Annie has a vague idea of where he could possibly be and sets off to Oaxaca, Mx to see if he's there.

The descriptions of Annie's depress
Michelle Lemaster
Aug 01, 2015 Michelle Lemaster rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorite-author
The Night of the Radishes is yet another well-written book by Sandra Benitez. In the book, the main character begins a quest to find her long-lost brother (as a part of a promise to her dying mother) after her mother finally succumbs to a battle with a debilitating disease. This book begins with so many tragedies and sorrows, this reader was pleased to finally see things begin to turn around. Just a really great read.
Rita Andres
Dec 08, 2011 Rita Andres rated it really liked it
I really loved reading this book. Of course, the Mexican feel was right up my alley. I haven't been to Oaxaca since 1969, but I remember so well all of the places mentioned. If you are looking about a novel that features forgiveness, this is a good one. The whole thing about the radishes being used in art is new to me, but I know that the Mexicans can make art out of anything. I would especially recommend this to anyone who loves Mexico!
Katherine
Apr 20, 2015 Katherine rated it liked it
This is a very nice little book - absorbed me although the beginning was very depressing as her "Ma" is dying. The part set in Oaxaca made me want to get on a plane and go. The book has a good and important message which came through in the end. All about what untold stories can do to skew your life completely.

Laurel Deloria
Annie Rush has it all. A loving husband, adoring sons, an interesting job. But tragedy haunts her. Her identical twin sister died in a horrifying farm accident when the girls were nine years old, and in the wake of the grief and guilt that followed, her older brother left home for good. The death of her mother prompts Annie to seek her brother and revisit her long-lost past. Her
Sonja
Aug 17, 2008 Sonja rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a work-related reason and enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. The characters emotional responses and actions were so believable and I found myself wishing I could hang out with her.
Ginny
Jun 07, 2009 Ginny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is about family secrets and about a woman who travels to another country in search for her long lost brother. While there she uncovers the "real" story behind the secrets and learns about herself and what she holds to be real.
Sarahmarie
Feb 17, 2008 Sarahmarie rated it liked it
Freya
Nov 03, 2009 Freya rated it really liked it
I think this was my second time reading this book and I really enjoyed it. There are parts that are sad and really make you think, but the messages about transformation and healing are really beautiful in the context of cross-cultural understandings and rituals that are unusual but poignent.
Barner
Nov 07, 2011 Barner rated it really liked it
My book group is discussing this book tomorrow. I am unable to be there and I so wish I could be. A strange but captivating novel, and I am so wondering if one of the characters is suppose to be a weird kind of Christ figure.
Vicki Cohen
Jan 27, 2008 Vicki Cohen rated it it was ok
Felt contrived. Athough the main characters are dealing with great tragedies -- death of a child, death of sister, father's suicide -- you don't really feel the emotion. COmes across very superficially.
Amy Nylander
Feb 12, 2016 Amy Nylander rated it it was ok
Hard to believe this was written by the author of The Weight of All Things. Wonderful depiction of Mexico, but that's about it. Predictable, with two-dimensional characters, and an unlikable protagonist (not in a good way).
Alison
Jul 13, 2014 Alison rated it it was amazing
A good story of a sister searching for her brother after their mothers death. this novel takes you from the USA to Oaxaca Mexico.
Jennifer Kersten
Jan 25, 2013 Jennifer Kersten rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to have part of the story set in Minneapolis.
Jude
Jul 01, 2011 Jude rated it it was ok
Eh. It was just ok for me.
Sue Boyd
Jul 17, 2009 Sue Boyd rated it it was ok
2006
Nicole
Jun 28, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
Engaging story with characters who are very real. A story about forgiveness and redemption that was an excellent read.
Weezie
Apr 22, 2014 Weezie rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2014
Thought it was an ok book until it hit "I love my husband buuuuuuut imma cheat on him." Even before that point, I found Annie to be a very unlikable main character. Eh.
Miche
Apr 03, 2016 Miche rated it liked it
Story about a woman from Mn who lets guilt get the best of her. A bit predictable however I did like it.
Abbe Rolnick
Sep 09, 2016 Abbe Rolnick rated it liked it
I love multicultural family stores. It is what I know and write. Well done.
  • Sapogonia
  • The Secret Footprints
  • Tortuga
  • The African Safari Papers
  • The Hour of Lead
  • Tortilla Sun
  • The Tsar's Dwarf
  • The Remedy
  • The Guru in You: A Personalized Program for Rejuvenating Your Body and Soul: Unlock the Powers of Health and Healing Within
  • The Windows of Brimnes: An American in Iceland
  • Mr. Mendoza's Paintbrush
  • Thinking About Memoir (AARP)
  • Pretty Birds
  • Fortune's Lady
  • The Jumping Tree
  • Fallen Angels
  • Racing Against Time (Cavanaugh Justice, #1)
  • Stories to Solve