Start by marking “Night of the Radishes: A Novel” as Want to Read:
Night of the Radishes: A Novel

Night of the Radishes: A Novel

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  233 ratings  ·  36 reviews
Annie Rush has it all. A loving husband, adoring sons, an interesting job. But tragedy haunts her. Her identical twin sister died in a horrifying farm accident when the girls were nine years old, and in the wake of the grief and guilt that followed, her older brother left home for good. The death of her mother prompts Annie to seek her brother and revisit her long-lost pas ...more
Published January 12th 2005 by Hachette Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Radishes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Radishes

Gingers & Wry by Dwayne R. JamesThe Comedy of Errors by William Shakespeare"We Were Five by James BroughThe Bobbsey Twins by Laura Lee HopeProfessors Zwillinge by Else Ury
Multiples
78th out of 116 books — 34 voters

More lists with this book...

Elise
This book was a bit of a disappointment. I expected something much more lyrical, magical, and atmospherically rich than what was delivered (especially since I had previously read Benitez's "Bitter Grounds," which does have some of these qualities, even though it was preachy at times). The reason I was initially attracted to "Night of the Radishes" was the Oaxaca, Mexico setting--a place that has always intrigued me and one I have always wanted to visit. However, even the parts of this novel set ...more
Sharneel
I am continuing to read this novel, but I have to note a couple of points. First, I have never known an adult child who was caring for a dying parent who did not have a solid knowledge of that parent's finances. Needless o say, I lost confidence in this story when, Ta-dum, she discovers this huge financial gift from her Mother's bank account in the 'drawer'. Then she travels to Mexico where she meets Joe, a total stranger who almost instantly becomes her constant companion and friend . In one pa ...more
Robin
This was a pretty good read. It was different, but light. It was about searching for a woman's past that wasn't what she remembered it as being all of her life. Annie had a twin that died in a tractor accident. Three years later her father committed suicide in their basement. Their older brother left home without saying good-bye, and Annie stayed and watched while her mother smoked herself to death. After her death, she searches for her brother. She finds him in Mexico. It was a very refreshing ...more
Ann
Story of Annie, whose dying mother left her a financial windfall and a quest to locate her long-lost brother. He turns up in Mexico, she goes to find him, extracurricular romance ensues, siblings united, long-standing disfunction address, all is well. Great Lifetime movie, but a yawn.
Jane Dugger
I was unsure what this book was going to be about but really liked it in the end. It is about the concept of the "twinless twin." This is a twin who has lost their twin to death. (Ms Benitez is a twinless twin.)

This would be great for discussion.
Melissa
May 05, 2008 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melissa by: Meg
Shelves: 30-books-2008
This was a splendid, yet tragic book. I really enjoyed reading it and could not put it down. I highly recommend this book. The only thing I did not like… spoiler alert… was the affair. I felt that it had no place and added nothing to the story.
Swanbender2001
This might be my favorite book by Benitez so far. I have read Bitter Grounds and Where the Sea Remembers by her and remember thinking the same thing when I finished both of those though! This one is about Annie Rush Hart after her mother dies, married to Sam and mother of Will and Jack. A happy wife and mother and corporate trainer but also aware of the suppressed emotions she has carried since her identical twin died at the age of 9 in a tragic farm accident she witnessed and her father committ ...more
Chana
The story of Annie, a woman who has suffered a lot of loss in her life; The book opens with the death of her mother, and we learn about the death of her twin sister and father as well. Her brother has been estranged from the family for over 20 years and much of the story has to do with Annie's search for him. It is over-sentimental, full of pop psychology and kind of a blender of religion mixing new-age with Mexican and Indian traditions, some Catholic I assume, others I don't know the source of ...more
Tekapope
Amanda
May 13, 2014 Amanda rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2014
Thought it was an ok book until it hit "I love my husband buuuuuuut imma cheat on him." Even before that point, I found Annie to be a very unlikable main character. Eh.
Rita Andres
I really loved reading this book. Of course, the Mexican feel was right up my alley. I haven't been to Oaxaca since 1969, but I remember so well all of the places mentioned. If you are looking about a novel that features forgiveness, this is a good one. The whole thing about the radishes being used in art is new to me, but I know that the Mexicans can make art out of anything. I would especially recommend this to anyone who loves Mexico!
Sherri
This is the sort of book I would generally skip over, assuming it to be poorly written 'feel good' fiction. However, I was greatly surprised! Not only does "Night of the Radishes" explore the depth of human emotion, but it also has a wonderful breadth of characters, places, and life events to make one feel as if Annie's journey is also his or her own. Evocative, truly.
Freya
I think this was my second time reading this book and I really enjoyed it. There are parts that are sad and really make you think, but the messages about transformation and healing are really beautiful in the context of cross-cultural understandings and rituals that are unusual but poignent.
Sarahmarie
abby
It's a rare book that can achieve exactly the opposite of the author's intentions -- I'm not just indifferent to the (grieving/closure-seeking) main character, I kind of actively loathe her. Perhaps I'm just an asshole, or perhaps this is a bad book.
Ginny
This book is about family secrets and about a woman who travels to another country in search for her long lost brother. While there she uncovers the "real" story behind the secrets and learns about herself and what she holds to be real.
Barner
My book group is discussing this book tomorrow. I am unable to be there and I so wish I could be. A strange but captivating novel, and I am so wondering if one of the characters is suppose to be a weird kind of Christ figure.
Sonja
I read this book for a work-related reason and enjoyed it so much more than I thought I would. The characters emotional responses and actions were so believable and I found myself wishing I could hang out with her.
Vicki Cohen
Felt contrived. Athough the main characters are dealing with great tragedies -- death of a child, death of sister, father's suicide -- you don't really feel the emotion. COmes across very superficially.
Karen Linker-Williams
I bought it at a book sale. I started to read it cause I was bored and it was in my car.
So glad that I decided to read it. It was an amazing book. I read it in one sitting.
Donna
Jan 21, 2008 Donna rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Donna by: I read it for a book group
I found this painful to push myself to read, but many others I spoke with enjoyed it much more than me. It was too "put together" and coincidental to be realistic.
Jenny
I was a little let down. It was an interesting book to discuss at bk. club though. (Right? or am I forgetting that too?). I want to give it a 2.5
Louise Silk
What a great book- cleverly thought through- interesting setting and circumstances- beautiful language. Can't wait to read some of the author's other work.
Serafina Sands
Such a promising cover, and an interesting start, but ultimately descends into psycho-drivel and false resolution at the end. Not worth the time.
Alison
A good story of a sister searching for her brother after their mothers death. this novel takes you from the USA to Oaxaca Mexico.
Julie
This was a wonderful book based in (I thnk) Oaxaca, Mexico. It had the magical feel of the spirituality of the Mexican people.
Erin
this book was horrible. avoid it. It read like a middle school essay that needed to be put out of its misery long ago...
Nicole
Engaging story with characters who are very real. A story about forgiveness and redemption that was an excellent read.
Anika
A minnesotan woman goes to Mexico to track down her long lost brother. I loved the clashing of cultures and feelings.
Jennifer Kersten
I enjoyed this book. It was fun to have part of the story set in Minneapolis.
  • Sapogonia
  • Consuming Passions: A Food-Obsessed Life
  • Caspian Rain
  • The New Woman: A Staggerford Novel
  • The Remedy
  • Tempting Torment (McClellan Brothers, #3)
  • The Guru in You: A Personalized Program for Rejuvenating Your Body and Soul: Unlock the Powers of Health and Healing Within
  • The Other Eden
  • Mr. Mendoza's Paintbrush
  • Branded Hearts
  • The All of It
Bitter Grounds The Weight of All Things Place Where the Sea Remembers Bag Lady: A Memoir Bitter Grounds: Picador USA Reading Group Guides