Start by marking “Pillage (Pillage, #1)” as Want to Read:
Pillage (Pillage, #1)

Pillage (Pillage #1)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  7,372 Ratings  ·  573 Reviews
Upon his mother's death, fifteen-year-old Beck Phillips is sent to live with an eccentric uncle he had never met in a remote manor house, where he learns that his family suffers from a curse that allows him to make plants grow on command and dragon eggs hatch.
Published July 1st 2008 by Shadow Mountain (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Pillage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pillage

Fablehaven by Brandon MullRise of the Evening Star by Brandon MullGrip of the Shadow Plague by Brandon MullSecrets of the Dragon Sanctuary by Brandon MullTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Mormon Fantasy
171 books — 321 voters
Eragon by Christopher PaoliniThe Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienEldest by Christopher PaoliniBrisingr by Christopher PaoliniDragonflight by Anne McCaffrey
Dragons
1,041 books — 2,019 voters

More lists with this book...

Jennifer Wardrip
Dec 11, 2008 Jennifer Wardrip rated it it was amazing
Reviewed by Tasha for TeensReadToo.com

Fifteen-year-old Beck Phillips' favorite activity is causing trouble - and his latest scheme is setting off an angry hive of bees through the air ducts in his current school. Maybe this inclination for trouble comes from moving around a lot, a non-existent father, or the fact that his mother is very ill.

When his mom dies, Beck is uprooted from his life once again and is sent to live with his wealthy but estranged uncle out in the mountainous country. On the
Holly
Sep 04, 2008 Holly rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who enjoy Obert Skye, Leven Thumps
Chris
Oct 01, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Shelves: i-own
Pillage is one of those fun adventure fantasy books that young boys should enjoy. In a time when Harry Potter and Percy Jackson and others are stealing the show, it's fun to find a fantasy book of similar vein that is still very fresh and fun to read.

Pillage follows a young boy named Beck through his very troubled life. The initial chapter gives us insight into his devious streak as he carries out a plot that would result in having school closed for a few days. The plan falls apart and Beck quic
Allison
Dec 22, 2008 Allison rated it it was ok
Skye, Obert Pillage, Shadow Mountain; Language~G, Sexual Content~G; Violence~G
Life for Beck Phillips has just gone from not so good to miserable. For the past several years he has been the primary caregiver for his mentally ill mother who has just passed away. Not minutes after her funeral he is put on a train and told that his uncle, who he didn’t know existed, has agreed to take him in. The train takes him to a remote town called Kingsplot. Beck’s uncle lives in a mansion high on a hill away f
Hamster
The story started out lame, and then began to intrigue me. In the end I couldn't get past Skye's writing style. Most of the dialogue was cheesy and cliche' (like a teenager would ever say, "I'm sorry for the way I acted...for my actions.") And when a dragon is chasing him, "his presence made me move faster." His presence made me move faster?! Are you serious? It sounds like a five year old is writing this.
However, there were a few great twists at the end which I found satisfying.
I think Skye's
Katherine Relf-canas
Feb 22, 2013 Katherine Relf-canas rated it it was ok
I might be mean to say this, but I don't fancy a book that introduces a bunch of hatching dragon eggs as though they were unborn puppies (albeit hatched from eggs) and then have the protagonist who witnessed the hatching proceed to destroy them. Yea, yea, dragons don't evoke sympathy, but the balance of this particular narrative was off. Don't get the child (reader) to think the baby dragons might be pets and then have them be killed with nary a regret. Seems like an animal cruelty treatise the ...more
Sariah the Authoress
Sep 28, 2013 Sariah the Authoress rated it did not like it
Redundant, awkward prose; an interesting premise but dull execution; unrealistic dialogue--and narration, for that matter; an unrelatable protagonist; all the action you wanted squeezed into a tiny segment of the book; (view spoiler) ...more
Alex
Aug 08, 2008 Alex rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Young adults and 11 or 12 year olds
This was a great book. I like the twists and turns in it. At some points a tiny bit confusing but pretty much all of it was understandable. It is a short-read so if you are looking for a book to read to kill some time it would be a great book to pick out. I got it because I liked this Author's other books so i decided to give it a try.
Olivia
Jul 24, 2009 Olivia rated it it was ok
not my favorite. I thought it was all a bit obvious. The ending wasn't my favorite either.
Julianne
Mar 07, 2011 Julianne rated it it was amazing
Obert Skye describes things in the book very well. He created detailed pictures in my head. The setting is a big mansion that the main character describes as "somewhere between a mall and a castle. There were more chimneys and windows than any chimney or window store could possibly stock. I counted at least seven floors." The main character is a boy named Beck Phillips who goes to live with his uncle because his mother dies. The story makes me feel kind of cold because of all of the mist and fog ...more
Cole
Oct 14, 2011 Cole rated it really liked it
The reason why i liked this book is because one i love storys with dragons they are cool creatures that can fly breath fire etc. I think its funny how the main character Beck is a realy big troble maker if you have read the book right at the beginning he is in a duct with some bees wow pretty crazy. There is also some pretty amuzeing comedy like when hes in the airduckt he falls into a classrom on a desk i thought that was hastarical. There is also good action like in the end the town is raided ...more
Stephanie
Sep 07, 2010 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-grade, 2010
Wow! That was really good! It started out kind of iffy and I could put the book down without any real drive to pick it up again. So when I reached page 62 I basically forced myself to read it because I didn't want to take forever to read this. It got much better once I got to page 100 or so.

I was constantly waiting for a dragon to appear but it was quite the surprise when Beck found a certain something. Skye did very good with interweaving Beck's plant-growing ability and the dragons together.
Krysta
Apr 16, 2010 Krysta rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I am a sucker for pretty cover art and this book has been making puppy-dog eyes at me for a while now. I finally got around to reading it and like Obert Skye's Leven Thumps series (which also have pretty covers) I found it a little slow to get into. It seemed to me that the last 1/4 of the book had everything I expected it to have while the first 3/4 was just kind of slow and didn't provide enough new plot information or twists to drive the story the way it could have been. It was obviously good ...more
Garrett
May 13, 2009 Garrett rated it it was amazing
A very quick, but enjoyable read. I immediately handed it to my 12-year old after I was done because I knew she'd love it (I was right).

I liked the idea here, and thought that Obert delivered it well.

Setting: A dreary place in some remote town. It's cloudy and dark a lot, so there is not much scenery-describing text.

Plot: A boy is trying to figure out why his uncle is crazy and what is up with the garden. He also gets some lessons in the dangers of unchecked curiosity.

Conflict: There are some in
Jared
Jan 24, 2011 Jared rated it it was ok
I read the first Leven Thumps book and didn't care for it. I had heard that Obert Skye's ability to write had improved with each book he has written, and therefore I decided to give him another shot.
First, I can't say this book is horrible. I realize it's youth fiction, and from a young person's standpoint this book has the potential to be fun and interesting. However, I can't say that this book wowed me either. It's short, and it cruises along at a decent pace, but overall there's a certain sty
Bert Edens
Jun 08, 2010 Bert Edens rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
This was actually included with Choke, which I won in a First Reads giveaway. Which is a good thing, as it allowed me to start the story from the beginning.

I really enjoyed the story, a tale of generations of the Pillage / Phillips family of males and how their ability to affect the growth of plants and also raise dragons ultimately consumes and destroys them. The question in this, and subsequent I presume, book is, how will the protagonist Beck Phillips handle it?

I'm reading Choke next and defi
Danae
Feb 26, 2010 Danae rated it it was ok
Even for a fantasy book, this one had some gaps. And while I like a happy ending, things tied up a little too neatly at the end to really seem plausable. Also, a few too many "Because I'm an Angry Teenager, Dang-it!" cliches for my taste... this one always seemed on the cusp of getting interesting, but when we got to the big climax, the author seemed to have forgotten it was supposed to be exciting. It wasn't out-right BAD, but I promise within six months I will forget I ever read it.
Stacey
Oct 25, 2011 Stacey rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading this book, it drew me in quite quickly. It took me only a few days to get completely through it, and I appreciate that there is no series-its just a single book. That being said, I didn't like how quickly it ended. A majority of the book was spent building up the plot and then within just a few short chapters everything was resolved. I wish he had spent a little more time wrapping things up. Despite that, I still would recommend this to a friend-it was a fun read.
Mallory
Jul 23, 2008 Mallory rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I hadn't even heard of this book before I went to the book store and saw it there. I liked the Leven Thumps books so I desided to give it a try. It was pretty good. A really easy read, and it's pretty short. It's about a 15 year old boy whose had a hard life growing up and then has to move in with his crazy uncle.
Natalie
Nov 26, 2011 Natalie rated it really liked it
This was the second time I'd read this story and I was honestly just as suprised by the ending this time as I was the first. It's a very original story, that Obert Skye weaves beautifully together. It's not your typical dragon story. The main character is likable and funny. I'm excited to read the second book.
Kathy
Aug 29, 2012 Kathy rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
My kids have long loved this series and I finally got around to reading Pillage.

Great book for middle graders and for those of us much older than that who just enjoy a great dragon story.

Content: Clean

Stefie
Oct 02, 2008 Stefie rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was great. I read it with my kids (ages 12, 10, 7) and they all really enjoyed it. We were all a bit bumbed when it actually ended and there was no set up for a sequel. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the world of dragons and fantasy.
Holly
Jul 13, 2011 Holly rated it really liked it
Vaughn and I gave this book to Bekah for her 9th birthday. She read it in a couple of days and really liked it so I gave it a try too. She was right! It is a quick, fun read. I think most young people will enjoy it!
Terri
Jun 28, 2009 Terri rated it liked it
Beck's mother dies and he is sent to live with a rich uncle in Kingsplot. He soon becomes aware that things are unusual there and he is a pawn who unleashes dragons on the unsuspecting town.

Nice, light fantasy. felt sorry for Beck and the dragons.
Lisa
Aug 13, 2008 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the book, not the CD. It doesn't have the book listed. This was a fun read. My 11 year old daughter enjoyed it, also.
Michelle
Jul 27, 2008 Michelle rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: All ages.
A fun book! It is modern-day fantasy adventure with dragons that will be appealing to both boys and girls. I would recommend this to all ages.
Jul 03, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sarah by: mom
it was fantastic! it reminded me of the secret garden and eregon all at once. everyone should readit if they can.
Wendy
Jul 08, 2008 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It is real simular to Fablehaven and Spiderwick. Very fun and fast read, I definately recommend it.
Tyler Thompson
good book. a little slow to start but its worthe the wait.
  • Water Keep (Farworld, #1)
  • Slathbog's Gold (Adventurers Wanted, #1)
  • The Sacred Quest (Tennis Shoes, #5)
  • The Dragon of Trelian (Trelian, #1)
  • The Dragon's Eye (Erec Rex, #1)
  • Arcade Catastrophe (The Candy Shop War #2)
  • Serpent Tide (Wesley Mackey, #1)
  • The Hunt for Dark Infinity (The 13th Reality, #2)
  • Janitors (Janitors, #1)
  • Dragon Flight (Dragon Slippers, #2)
Obert Skye read his first book at age two. He wrote his first story at age four. And he was nearly trampled by a herd of water buffalo at age six. For a short time, he lived on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, where he spent time as a candy-taster. Several years ago, Obert Skye says, he discovered the existence of Foo. Publishing his story as a fictional series was not Obert’s first choice. Neverthel ...more
More about Obert Skye...