Start by marking “Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire: What Happens When God's Spirit Invades the Hearts of His People” as Want to Read:

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  11,388 Ratings  ·  242 Reviews
The Times Are Urgent
God Is on the Move
Now Is the Moment to …

ask God to ignite his fire in your soul!

Pastor Jim Cymbala believes that Jesus wants to renew his people—to call us back from spiritual dead ends, apathy, and lukewarm religion.

Cymbala knows the difference firsthand. Thirty-five years ago his own church, the Brooklyn Tabernacle, was a struggling congregation of tw
Published March 31st 2003 by Zondervan (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire

Nov 23, 2011 Frank rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book Review: Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire By Jim Cymbala

In 1972, a young married man who did not have a background in ministry took over a dying congregation in a tough, inner-city neighborhood at the urgent request of his minister father-in-law.

Less than twenty people were attending services, the building was in disrepair and there was no money for even basic necessities. Yet within a few years the congregation was much larger and thriving. It eventually began to number in the thousands and develope
Jun 11, 2010 Danny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Enjoyed this book about allowing God’s Spirit to invade our hearts. Some of my favorite quotes include:
“I discovered an astonishing truth: God is attracted to weakness. He can't resist those who humbly and honestly admit how desperately they need him.”
“After all, people weren't hungry for fancy sermons or organizational polish. They just wanted love. They wanted to know that God could pick them up and give them a second chance.”
“Because I had been a basketball player, it never dawned on me to ev
“Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire”
By Jim Cymbala

Part 1: Key Learnings
• Page 19: God is attracted to weakness. Our weakness makes room for His power.
o Application: I need to rely on God’s power to run Growth Group and by ready to acknowledge and identify my areas of weakness
• Page 26: God is present, and he would act on our behalf.
o Application: Great encouragement to people I meet with in difficult circumstances. Use stories of God’s faithfulness to act as encouragement.
• Page 49: Prayer cannot be taug
Seth Little
While this was an inspirational read, I had a hard time stomaching the anti-intellectual bent of Pastor Cymbala. He is clearly a man of the highest intentions and of faith, but I don't think he presents a balanced, holistic view of Christian ministry in the end. I recommend this book as a secondary part of a balanced reading diet for church leaders.
Mandy J. Hoffman
Apr 25, 2011 Mandy J. Hoffman rated it it was amazing
Shelves: i-own

I think it was the title...but for whatever reason this is a book I had seen many times and just never bought for myself to read. But recently when a dear man of God recommended this to our church leadership I immediately found it on PaperBackSwap and began to read it.

This book is not about the how-to's of prayer like so many other books are, but about the why we pray and the power of prayer. And for those of you in my circle, it's not "out there" either. While there are a few thi
Simon Bale
Jul 22, 2012 Simon Bale rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holy-spirit
It wasn't that I disliked the book's core message: that prayer and the Holy Spirit are what matters in Christian community today. It was the way the message was communicated.

I felt beaten up and beaten down by the onslaught of marshal metaphors, and seriously unnerved at the prejudice shown by Cymbala on matters of family life, sexuality and relationships.

The core message could have been got across in a dozen or more pages, and the rest could be left out. It is a truly serious and valuable messa
Jul 24, 2012 Aaron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Cymbala was a familiar name to me, as I had read some of his articles in Charisma magazine. The Charismatic books are the most widely read books in Christendom. I've not really been impressed with one to date—there is always a running theme under them all which I do not adhere to.

Jim was thrown into the role of Pastor by the hand of his father-in-law. Jim had no formal ministerial training(and I suspect still hasn't), and make no mistake about it, he takes pride in that fact.

Preaching the w
Sep 29, 2012 Murray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jim Cymbala is the pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Although he didn't found the tabernacle, it was just a handful of parishoners when his father-in-law gave him the assignment back in the early 70s. It now attracts some 8,000 weekly seekers and has satellites thoughout the land. Ironically, Fresh Wind Fresh Fire is about not seeking numbers in your church but seeking the Holy Spirit. He, if given the opportunity, will grow your church and depth of worship. I've read numerous books by Jim but ...more
Josh Miller
Jul 08, 2013 Josh Miller rated it really liked it
A very inspirational read from a humble man. An evangelist friend of mine visited the prayer meeting service of the Brooklyn Tabernacle some years ago and was quite moved.

Several items I took away from the book:

1) The strength of one's church does not lie in the attendance to any of the preaching lies in the attendance to the prayer service. I wonder how many people would show up to our mid-week services if we announced that it would only be a time of praise and prayer?? The author
Leah Beecher
Apr 13, 2011 Leah Beecher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent book for any Christian who wants to discover what "The Church" is supposed to look like, and act like. Jim Cymbala is humble and authentic. His passion for Christ comes through on every page. With much wisdom and insight he gives a very balanced view on issues dealing with spiritual warfare and culture issues.His stand and hard-hitting truth is always saturated in scripture. He makes the important and often looked-over point that the "problems with the world" is not seculari ...more
Sep 08, 2015 Ciara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't convinced I would vibe with this book. I have been having a hard time with church to say the least. But holy crap! This guy's story is good and he tears down all the falsehood and hypocrisy of churches today and what we have made Christianity and going to church to become. In looking for a church, I have just been wanting to find somewhere that loves God and loves people (aka EVERYONE: the poor, homeless, gay, scary, etc.) to the best of their ability. Jim's church does exactly that wel ...more
Nov 15, 2014 Haverlee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this 5 stars on the sheer basis that I read it cover to cover on my own in a relatively short amount of time. The number of times I've done that with a biblically based spiritual improvement book (what do you call that category??) that wasn't for a bible study is slim to none. There are stories and ideas in here that are truly life-changing (Huh. Go figure. Bible based ideas are life-changing. ;) and will stick with me for a very long time.
Feb 25, 2009 Jacki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a quick little book. I read it in just one evening.

I really loved the first half, all the history of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. It is incredible what God did through these people.

I read this for a book club & when I first saw it, I was kind of bummed. It didn't seem like something I would like at all, but in fact I thought it was pretty good.
Aug 25, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At first, I was drawn in by his stories that occurred at his church and then grew rather tired of so many stories. However, as he started talking more about the power of the Spirit and exhorting believers to live in the Spirit, all of the stories made perfect sense. This is a convicting book in a positive way. It does not induce guilt but a longing for a more intimate connection with God.
Laszlo Debreceni
May 28, 2015 Laszlo Debreceni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Friss szél friss tűz

Nagyon egyszerű de alapvető könyv arról, hogy nem kell semmilyen új módszert kitalálnunk az ébredéshez, csak meg kell tanulnunk imádkozni, Istenhez kiáltani és engedelmeskedni.
Jan 16, 2013 Brenan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked it. It was very convicting as far as realizing that prayer is super important and that it isn't emphasized enough in today's Church. I didn't agree with everything he said, but overall it was an excellent.
Chuck Musselwhite
Simply the best book on spiritual renewal and prayer.
Feb 07, 2013 Josh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
Good book on prayer and the need for churches to be built on what God can do, not what we can do.
Jan 05, 2011 Jon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The amazing awakening of the congregation of Brooklyn Tabernacle. Pastor Cymbala displays the history of what God did in changing the mindset of a tiny, fledgling congregation in Brooklyn from man-focus to God-focus. This book is full of short snippets of the history and ministry of the Brooklyn Tab--a chronicle of God’s working in the city. Starting at the beginning of Cymbala’s ministry, the book opens with stories of failure and heartache. A 20 person discouraged church almost made Jim Cymbal ...more
Samuel Wuarlela
Oct 11, 2016 Samuel Wuarlela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kuasa Doa

Sangat menginspirasi untuk lebih terbeban bagi jiwa-jiwa berdosa.

Kegairahan berdoa hanya dapat dianugerahkan oleh Roh Tuhan, untuk itulah kita yang sudah menerimanya mengerjakannya lebih sungguh.
Valerie Van Moorsel
Are we too comfortable in our pews? Is the message a watered down version of God’s truth? does the message give you a warm fuzzy good feeling as you rush out to the car after service? Is the service too regimented too choreographed to planned that even the Holy Spirit has no room to enter in?
These are the questions that I asked myself while I was reading this book “Fresh wind, Fresh fire” by Jim Cymbala . it challenged me to take a look at my own convictions before God, am I going to church bec
Oct 10, 2016 Caleb added it
Shelves: spiritual-growth
This book was a great challenge to dig deeper into Jesus through prayer.
Shaun Marksbury
With recommendations from Drs. Joseph Stowell and Warren Wiersbe, it was a given that Jim Cymbala’s Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire would become a bestseller. Full of relatable stories of struggle with sin, this pastor of the Brooklyn Tabernacle writes this engaging work that will encourages readers to turn the sufficiency of self to trust in the power of prayer. Even so, this is not a book I recommend.

First, irony opens the book: a man who wasn’t called to be a pastor treaded water by gaining footing on
Feb 03, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire will challenge you to pray and seek the Lord in everything and for everything. The book challenges you to pray, not just for results, but to get to know the one who loves you.

This is the story of how God took a struggling dying church with a struggling minister and turned it into one of the biggest churches of our time. This book is filled with story after story of how the Lord transformed the lives of people with the gospel and the power of prayer. What good is it to have
Donald McKinnon
May 07, 2012 Donald McKinnon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: must-reads
What happens when a church is opened up to the Spirit of God? What happens when people pray? What can God do through you when you allow Him to use you? These are just some of the thoughts and reflections Cymbala asks in this book which is also a memoir of the start of the Brooklyn Tabernacle. Cymbala is careful to say that God grew the church as they prayed, but at the end of the book he makes it a point to say that not all churches can start a prayer meeting, and expect great results of the bat ...more
Jordan Terrell
Apr 17, 2014 Jordan Terrell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been growing frustrated lately with many churches assumption that God's kingdom needs to be built on programs, strategies, talent, and polish. Oh, and maybe some prayer and the Holy Spirit. Somewhere we seem to be missing the point. Turns out Jim Cymbala had this thought first and published it back in 1997. I'm so glad I finally had a chance to read this book.

It's not a long book. But aren't the most profound aspects of the Christian also the simplest. God told us to seek Him in prayer, an
Feb 27, 2012 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
I really enjoyed this one. This books shows that if you are earnestly seeking, praying, and calling on God, He listens and he will reward you. Hebrews 11:6

Some parts that really stood out to me and affected me:

"If we call upon the Lord, he promised in his word to answer, to bring the unsaved to himself, to pour out his spirit among us. If we don't call upon the name of the Lord, he has promised nothing-nothing at all. The future will depend upon our time in prayer." -Jim Cymbala pg. 27

"The more
Nov 14, 2014 Cary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014
What is it really that stops us from becoming mighty warriors in the Lord? God has not changed. He is still superior to anything the enemy can throw against us.

No personal or church situation is too hopeless for the all-sufficient power of the Holy Spirit. God will be no more eager to act tommorow than he is right now. He is waiting for us to take his promises seriously and go boldly to the throne of grace. He wants us to meet the enemy at the very point of attack, standing against Him in the n
Oct 03, 2013 Jane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
This is one of my favorite books! I have read it over and over. I have numerous pages bent over and more pages than that highlighted with wonderful words of wisdom.

Chapter 10: Father of the Faithful
Page 160-161

Faith deals with the invisible things of God. It refuses to be ruled by the physical senses. Faith is able to say, "You can do what you like, because I know God is going to take care of me. He has promised to bless me wherever he leads me. " Remember that even when every demon in hell stan
Dottie Parish
Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire is a powerful account of how God’s Spirit worked in the life of Jim Cymbala and his wife as they took over a run down church with few members and no financial support. Through many struggles and thoughts of giving up Cymbala stayed the course and the Brooklyn Tabernacle is now an icon in the city of New York and the world. More importantly it has transformed the lives of many desperate people from all walks of life.

Early on Cymbala decided that the Tuesday evening prayer
  • Experiencing God: How to Live the Full Adventure of Knowing and Doing the Will of God
  • The Body
  • Simple Church: Returning to God's Process for Making Disciples
  • Victory Over the Darkness
  • Ordering Your Private World
  • A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23
  • Streams in the Desert
  • Intercessory Prayer: How God Can Use Your Prayers to Move Heaven & Earth
  • The God Chasers: "My Soul Follows Hard After Thee"
  • A Life God Rewards: Why Everything You Do Today Matters Forever
  • Eternity in Their Hearts:  Startling Evidence of Belief in the One True God in Hundreds of Cultures Throughout the World
  • Courageous Leadership
  • If
  • The Normal Christian Life
  • The Journey of Desire: Searching for the Life We Always Dreamed of
  • With Christ in the School of Prayer
  • The Grace Awakening: Believing in Grace Is One Thing. Living it Is Another
  • The Christian's Secret of a Happy Life
Jim Cymbala has been the pastor of The Brooklyn Tabernacle for more than twenty-five years. The author of the best-selling titles Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire; Fresh Faith; and Fresh Power, he lives in New York City with his wife, Carol Cymbala, who directs the Grammy Award-winning Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir.
More about Jim Cymbala...

“No matter what I preach or what we claim to believe in our heads, the future will depend upon our times of prayer.” 18 likes
“Jesus called fishermen, not graduates of rabbinical schools. The main requirement was to be natural and sincere.” 16 likes