Start by marking “Shuttlecock” as Want to Read:
Shuttlecock

Shuttlecock

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  381 ratings  ·  20 reviews
Prentis, senior clerk in the 'dead crimes' department of police archives, is becoming confused. Alienated from his wife and children, and obsessed by his father, a wartime hero now the mute inmate of a mental hospital, Prentis feels unsettled as his boss, Mr Quinn, turns his investigation towards him - and his father.
Paperback
Published January 1st 1997 by Pan Books Ltd (first published 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Shuttlecock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shuttlecock

Ярослава
The biggest pitfall of the book is, I think, its structure, a classic Nabokovian confession of a loquacious, grandiloquent, self-conscious monster riddled with appeals to the audience, placing readers as jurors. Once you make that particular structural choice, you set a bar rather high, and I don't think this novel ever reaches the expected level (although Swift's other novels might). While it did some interesting things with confessions within confessions, possibly setting up the extra level of ...more
Etienne Hanratty
This is, to my mind, the weakest of Graham Swift's novels. Following his strikingly accomplished debut, The Sweet Shop Owner, this book promises much but suffers from trying to satisfy too many roles. On the one hand, it's a cramped, paranoid thriller set in a mysterious record office; on another, it's a meditation on identity and the relationship between fathers and sons. The difficulty comes in reconciling the two and, in this, Swift is only partially successful. Perhaps it would be churlish t ...more
Ronnie
Prentis, the book's narrator, is such an insecure and unlikeable asshole that it almost had to be fun for Swift to create him, I thought pretty regularly throughout. By the end, it initially struck me as a little too easy to blame the bulk of Prentis's problems on his issues with his father, but then, who knows? Understanding and coming to terms with parental influence is often the psychoanalytical lynchpin to overcoming something like an inferiority complex that has heretofore prevented growth ...more
Soumen Daschoudhury
Read the entire review on my blog: http://mysundrywritings.blogspot.hk/2...

Ignorance is bliss! What you don’t know will not hurt you.
A lot happens in the world around us. And some of this ‘lot’ may directly or indirectly affect us, for good or bad. Some secrets are better kept under the sheets. There is already a huge mountain of woes and miseries clandestinely floating around the world. Wouldn't it be better to not increase any more of it by keeping away from people things which could invariab
George
Πολύ ενδιαφέρον βιβλίο, που μπορεί να χαρακτηριστεί και σαν ψυχολογικό θρίλερ, μια μικρή αγωνία την έχεις για να δεις που τελικά θα καταλήξει η όλη ιστορία.

Πρωταγωνιστής είναι ο Πρέντις που δουλεύει σε ένα γραφείο όπου κρατούνται όλοι οι φάκελοι με στοιχεία όλων των υποθέσεων που έχει αναλάβει η αστυνομία και έχουν μπει στο αρχείο. Είναι κάτι σαν βιβλιοθηκονόμος ή φύλακας αρχείων. Δεν έχει πλήρη πρόσβαση, μόνο ο Κουίν, ο προϊστάμενός του, έχει πλήρη πρόσβαση στα αρχεία, ο οποίος βγάζει τη πίστη
Ian Mapp
Picked this up - it looked like a new Swift Book (I cannot recommend Last Orders and The Light of Day highly enough). This turns out to have been a much earlier book, written in 1981.

The story is of Prentice - A cruel man, working in a dead end job filing historical crime records for the police.

He has a family that he either dominates or ignores in equal measure and a boss that bullies him. You feel in the book that his frustrations are going to end in major tears.

This is a psychological book, g
Joyce
A distinctly odd psychological thriller from a writer I greatly admire, Shuttlecock delves inside the mind of an unhappy and perhaps paranoid archivist who works in the dead cases archives of the London police department. Writing in the first person as Prentis, the archivist, Swift examines relationships, motivations and reactions of those closest to Prentis: his boss, the calculatingly cruel Quinn, his ever "pliant" wife Marian, his children, and his stroke-silenced father, a British spy during ...more
Prentis is a bastard. He treats his wife and children poorly and suffers from the fear that his boss is destroying top secret police files of long forgotten cases.

His only refuge seems to be visits with his silent father and reading the memoriors of his dad during his time as an English officer in France during WW II. He searches for a way to know his father in the words of his story.

The book is a little hard to access. I found it really difficult to care about the narrator and considered aband
Mikee
A very strange book. About secrets and truth and uncertainty as to what is true, and what truth means. All is uncertain, in moral as well as absolute terms. This book deserves to be read again, if only to sort my true feelings about it.
Brian
A half-hearted attempt to be Kafkaesque, I feel. Didn't believe a word of the Quinn relationship, Marion is grievously underwritten. I enjoyed the prison story, almost the only credible narrative - is this the point? The problem with an unreliable narrator who is such a berk is that we don't really care about him. I thought the resolution of the ending faintly risible, but perhaps that's also the intention. Hmmm
Lise Kriekemans
A nice book, but the end was disappointing.
Scott
A fantastic novel. Strikes me as less like Waterland and Last Orders, which and more like a more conventional kind of mystery or thriller (albeit a thriller that's deeply focused on characters haunted by guilt over their past actions).
Benjamin
I like nearly all of Swift's fiction, but I have difficulty remembering the plot of this one. I recall there was some of Swift's common ground - a multi-generational, non-chronological narrative, some family strife and a father who tries to impress his son. Probably some adultery. But I don't remember much else.
Saibal Bose
Cannot figure the particular reason why I liked this book. Some things can be pointed out though. A fluent writing style, well documented dilemma of the protagonist, the sinister plot and the synchronization of the weird elements and above all the story-within-a-story narrative.
Would give it a 3.5
Matthew
Really interesting and creepy setup. Not really any payoff whatsoever. I tried reading Waterland in the nineties but never got into it, for some reason. I had the opposite problem with this, really I got really invested towards the beginning. And then.
Catherine Woodman
I read this with Jake and Joel and liked it far more than they did--it is an ambiguous story of past and what the effect of the past is on the present--and how they also affect the future
Will
One of those books that takes you inside a not entirely likable character. But by the end I found myself very sympathetic. Not as good as Waterland, but a very readable and enjoyable story.
Lorna
An early book. Psychological but not a thriller. No likeable characters really quite black humour and well written. As ever I wish there were half stars.
Harry
Depressing mood but interesting psychological novel. Hard to identify with the main character.
Alex
An absolute gem of a psychological puzzle-- read this!
John
John marked it as to-read
May 20, 2015
Laura Fortune
Laura Fortune marked it as to-read
May 12, 2015
  • Finbar's Hotel
  • The Llama Parlour
  • With Nails: The Film Diaries of Richard E. Grant
  • The Dead School
  • Pascali's Island
  • Splitting
  • The Gift Of Stones
  • Nothing bad ever happens in Tiffany's (Pocket Penguin 70s #8)
  • Ghost Town
  • The Debt to Pleasure
  • Holidays in Hell: In Which Our Intrepid Reporter Travels to the World's Worst Places and Asks, "What's Funny About This"
  • The Parasites
  • City of the Mind
  • Girl from the South
  • Great Escape (The Spiderwick Chronicles, #2, Part III)
  • According to Queeney
  • The Timewaster Letters
  • The Elizabethan World Picture
Graham Colin Swift FRSL (born May 4, 1949) is a British author. He was born in London, England and educated at Dulwich College, London, Queens' College, Cambridge, and later the University of York. He was a friend of Ted Hughes.

Some of his works have been made into films, including Last Orders, which starred Michael Caine and Bob Hoskins and Waterland which starred Jeremy Irons. Last Orders was a
More about Graham Swift...
Last Orders Waterland The Light of Day Wish You Were Here Tomorrow