Start by marking “Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution” as Want to Read:
Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  412 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Written by Bill Hicks' lifelong friend, producer and co-creator Kevin Booth, this book offers the inside story on a unique talent. Hicks was only along for the ride for a tragically short time, yet left an indelible mark on comedy enthusiasts and free-thinkers everywhere. Bill Hicks: Agent of Evolution offers a rare fly-on-the-wall insight into the life of one of Britain's ...more
Published 2005 by HarperCollins Entertainment

To ask other readers questions about Bill Hicks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bill Hicks

Eve Dangerfield
Dec 15, 2015 Eve Dangerfield rated it it was ok
Hard to read, very lengthy and a little repetitive, also as a huge fan of Bill Hicks' comedy it was difficult to digest the family disputes, drug abuse, drink driving and general butthole behaviour from someone I regarded as an agent for love, respect and change, not to mention razor sharp observational comedy. Kind of wish I didn't know half the things I know about Bill now. Ignorance was definately bliss.
Jinsie
Jan 15, 2010 Jinsie rated it it was amazing
The story of an uncompromisingly human soul... Kevin Booth was Hicks' best friend and collaborator throughout his life, so this is the most authoritative, personal and insightful biography you could hope to read. Some of the anecdotes and awakening philosophies relayed here resonated with me at a particularly tumultuous and stimulant-addled stage of my life; it was as if I had found my first soulmate.
R
Sep 05, 2012 R rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Bill book, by far. Talk about how biased it is, talk about how harsh Kevin is, but it's the real story, and not just reprinted jokes from the past that are already on the CDs you own anyway. The color pictures were kept intact for the MMP. Come to the ranch, friends.
Valarie
Jun 20, 2008 Valarie rated it really liked it
It shouldn't be much of a shock that the late comedian Bill Hicks--who died of pancreatic cancer--was kind of a jerk, but he was a brilliant jerk and the people who were closest to him loved him dearly. This book is a wonderful homage to a man who made us laugh and think.
Harrietthespy
Aug 19, 2015 Harrietthespy rated it really liked it
This book was really special. Despite the repetition and spelling errors.

"It's just a ride". I'm not making fun, that's what it is. I really appreciated the tone of the book. It was all so sincere, unflinching and poignant.

It'll stay with me for a long time.
Erin
Nov 08, 2009 Erin is currently reading it
Got the UK version. Flipping through and reading bits at random. Not done, yet.
J.C.
Apr 30, 2013 J.C. rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book hoping to learn a little more about the best comic not named Pryor or Carlin that the documentary about his life didn't tell me. Unfortunately, this book was a bit all over the place and felt really rushed to production and not at all flushed out like a proper biography should be. Because of that I have to say that I can't really recommend this book to people who know nothing or almost nothing about Bill Hicks. If you are a fan and have the money to order an out of print copy of ...more
Stephen
Oct 27, 2009 Stephen rated it really liked it
This one was interesting - kind of an oral history of Hicks' life. As you might expect for a patchwork of so many contributors, the writing is pretty uneven, but it does give a fascinating account of life of life in and around Austin during the stand-up comedy boom of the 80s. Although the different witnesses frequently paint contradictory, and quite possibly unreliable, pictures, you end up with a compelling portrait of Hicks - flawed and restless, but endearingly ingenuous even when being into ...more
Robert D.
Jun 14, 2014 Robert D. rated it it was amazing
An amazing book about an even more amazing individual. Can't put into words how awesome Bill Hicks is and this book gives you a good viewpoint on his life and career.
Ross Chambers
Dec 19, 2015 Ross Chambers rated it liked it
It was an interesting insight into Bills life and I really enjoyed some of the amusing stories but in parts I got a bit disinterested.
Lauren
Sep 08, 2008 Lauren rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book giving a real insight into the life of Bill Hicks. Much better than previously read American Scream as this is written by his best friend so you really get a feel for Bill Hicks the person not just Bill Hicks the comedian. Really interesting read whilst also showing some interesting pictures! A definate for anyone!
Jason
Jan 01, 2008 Jason rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Even though my favorite comedian has passed away and lesser comedians try to imitate. His material is as relevant today as it was 14 years ago. He will "squeegee your third eye."
Steve Mitchell
Feb 08, 2012 Steve Mitchell rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an excellent biography of one of the greatest stand up comedians of the twentieth century. This book is a must read for any fan of Bill Hicks.
David Hewitt
Mar 27, 2008 David Hewitt is currently reading it
Bill Hicks is one of my favorite comedians, lets see if the book on his life and times is up to snuff shall we?
Neil
Sep 28, 2013 Neil rated it really liked it
A more concise bio of BH than American Scream. Both books are, in their own way pretty much invaluable.
Tyson
Aug 07, 2007 Tyson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: you
the definitive biography of the late Prophet Rev. Bill Hicks, written by his closest friends
Richard
Dec 09, 2012 Richard rated it liked it
Flawed and too many self absorbed views but fascinating also
schadenfreudian
Aug 04, 2009 schadenfreudian rated it really liked it
I wish Bill were still alive. This book reminded me why.
Shetlerjo
Feb 22, 2009 Shetlerjo rated it it was amazing
excellent oral history by his friends.
Rand
Jun 25, 2008 Rand added it
Bill Hicks - Enough said!
Lucy Aughney
Fawning and dull.
Harman Bhamra
Jul 07, 2009 Harman Bhamra is currently reading it
its bill hicks.
Jamie
Jamie marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2016
Keyge
Keyge marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2016
Chris George
Chris George rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2016
Rebecca H.
Rebecca H. marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2016