Start by marking “One” as Want to Read:
One

One

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  56 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A dystopian novel set in a perversely benevolent future in which an attempt is made to remould the identity of a so-called heretic, Professor Burden, who had, up until then, regarded himself as a loyal citizen of the State.
Published 1972 by Penguin Modern Classics (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One

Faten Eassa
I've read this book in the late eighties and was fascinated by it. It was recommended to me by my father who gave it to me from his bookshelf. It's a Penguin publication but it's almost impossible to find today even if you write the writer's name, his modern books would appear on the net but not 'One' which is the only fiction and one of the rare books of analysis of how the world would be if dictatorship and brainwash were to rule the world. It is one of the books that stand equal to 1984 but w ...more
Mawgojzeta
A wonderful find for me. I place it up at the top of my extreme dystopian novel favorites, along with We by Yevgeny Zamyatin. Although they each present a different future, the attention to detail and the authors' ability to fully immerse a person into their world, are equal. In this novel, a man who truly believes he is active member of his benevolent state, is found guilty of heresy. The majority of the novel deals with his re-education.
Jim
Aug 15, 2007 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who has read 1984, Brave New World and We
Shelves: read-sci-fi
It has never ceased to amaze me that this excellent book has failed to garner the same praise as other dystopian novels. It's out of print but well worth seeking out.
Philip
Brilliant - right up there with 1984 and Fahrenheit 451.
Chris
If you liked watching the old episodes of the Twilight Zone, you'll love this book. Up there with 1984 & Brave New World.
Steve Sanderson
Back in print, this is an American dystopia worth checking out. It's more mild and slow moving, introspective than 1984 (written four years earlier). Yet because we live outside of the protagonist's head we see the dread circumstances he will witness well before they come to pass.

Absolutely recommended for dystopia fans!
Mikee
This book was written in 1953. I first read it some 20 or 30 years ago. I noticed it on my bookshelf a few days ago and decided to give it another try. It is truly moving, if a bit dated in style. It's a 1984-type book, but different Memorable.
Robert Pizzo
My mother gave me this book to read one summer when I was about 13. I never forgot it, tracked it down on eBay a few years ago and re-read it. It was just as riveting the second time around. And very appropriate today.
Myk
I liked this story, but I wanted to see more of the world it was taking place in. Not as dark as 1984 or shiny like Brave New World.
Daniel
Daniel marked it as to-read
May 26, 2015
Ophelia
Ophelia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
Chumpton
Chumpton marked it as to-read
May 08, 2015
Marissa
Marissa marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2015
Karl
Karl marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2015
Kd21550
Kd21550 marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2015
Steen Teisen
Steen Teisen marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Kirsten Cheney
Kirsten Cheney marked it as to-read
Apr 08, 2015
MaximumCarnage
MaximumCarnage marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
Madison Schneider
Madison Schneider marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Dalton Hall
Dalton Hall marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Tracey
Tracey marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2015
Megan
Megan marked it as to-read
Jan 20, 2015
Crp123
Crp123 marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Catherine Jones
Catherine Jones marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
David
David marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Rachelle
Rachelle marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Leave Me Alone The Sleep-Walkers Windows 7 Annoyances: Tips, Secrets, and Solutions The Brotherhood of Velvet The Day of the Monkey